OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3/C1

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby Rhorandir » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks to zalaare Great Work with that :-)

Just a personal problem:
I want to use a DVBSKY s960 DVB device , but it isn't working (driver probably not included correctly) and i need to do a patch like:
github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/mas...nux-210-dvbsky.patch
Any Tips or something. I'm new at this stuff.
Rhorandir
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:39 am
languages_spoken: german,english
ODROIDs: U3

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 am

Looking at that patch, it appears to straight up add support for DVBSKY "Montage M88DS3103 based (dvbsky)" and "Montage M88DC2800 based (dvbsky)" devices. Not sure if your's falls into that category.

So... If you can find me a patch that you know will add your support, I can add it to the build process and hopefully it will build fine.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby Rhorandir » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:03 am

Okay I guess I understand it correctly, you mean this patch is only useful for me i have a "Montage M88DS3103 based (dvbsky)" or "Montage M88DC2800 based (dvbsky)" devices.
That would fit to my devices (says the producer on his homepage). But I'm just thinking about any problems that could come up for other devices with this patch.
(Here's the link again, because i was to stupid to copy it correctly lasttime : https://github.com/VDR4Arch/vdr4arch/bl ... bsky.patch )

And if you could build it , that would be amazing, but I don't know how i could thank you for that. :-)
Rhorandir
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:39 am
languages_spoken: german,english
ODROIDs: U3

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:23 am

I'll include that patch if possible in the 4.2.1 release that I've been toiling away on. HOPEFULLY it applies clean and then you can reap the benefits!

The OpenELEC-Odroid-4.2.1.0 build is VERY close to done. I'm working out the logistics of distribution at the moment. When I finally get this last piece of the puzzle squared away, I'll put it up! Thank everyone for your patience.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:03 am

I have distribution logistics fixed, but I'm back to getting only one core on the XU3 working. So this is broken again.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby memeka » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 am

@zalaare - seems like XBMC for XU3 is working now (or at least it should be working very soon) ... ;)
User avatar
memeka
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:15 am

@memeka - XBMC works fine on my XU3. At least as far as I can tell. My current problem is that no matter how I compile the kernel only 1 cpu core comes up. I have a separate thread for that in XU3 - > Issues. To what problems do you refer? I notice that MFC works (xbmc reports mfc decoding), but it drops frames like a boss. Is that to what your referring?
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby optio50 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Is this most recent version able to control the volume from within XBMC (plus, minus keys)?
Previously it has not had an effect.
optio50
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U-3

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi, I am trying to compile 4.1.6 but I have following errors during compilation:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:93: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcc r4,#0'
{standard input}:94: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcs r4,#-1'
{standard input}:190: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcc r4,#0'
{standard input}:191: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcs r4,#-1'

anyone know how to fix it?
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:07 pm

luksol wrote:Hi, I am trying to compile 4.1.6 but I have following errors during compilation:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:93: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcc r4,#0'
{standard input}:94: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcs r4,#-1'
{standard input}:190: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcc r4,#0'
{standard input}:191: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `movcs r4,#-1'

anyone know how to fix it?


Ok, I have solved this problem, but another one popped in later on:

Code: Select all
/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/toolchain/bin/armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-objcopy -O srec u-boot u-boot.srec
/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/toolchain/bin/armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-objcopy --gap-fill=0xff -O binary u-boot u-boot.bin
./mkbl2 u-boot.bin bl2.bin 14336
/bin/bash: ./mkbl2: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Makefile:349: recipe for target 'u-boot.bin' failed
make[1]: *** [u-boot.bin] Error 126
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/u-boot-2010.12.ae1bb3c'
make: *** [image] Error 1


anyone has a clue? I am not a dev, so it is a bit of magic to me ;)
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:51 pm

luksol wrote:Ok, I have solved this problem, but another one popped in later on:

Code: Select all
/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/toolchain/bin/armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-objcopy -O srec u-boot u-boot.srec
/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/toolchain/bin/armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-objcopy --gap-fill=0xff -O binary u-boot u-boot.bin
./mkbl2 u-boot.bin bl2.bin 14336
/bin/bash: ./mkbl2: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Makefile:349: recipe for target 'u-boot.bin' failed
make[1]: *** [u-boot.bin] Error 126
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/u-boot-2010.12.ae1bb3c'
make: *** [image] Error 1


This one looks like mkbl2 is being executed, but it is not compiled for the host OS. I've not seen this error yet. I'd look into A.) does this mkbl2 need to be executed (Answer is NO btw), and B.) what gcc compiled it? (you would want host-gcc not armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-gcc).

Did you change anything in the source that might have had an affect on the output?
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 pm

zalaare wrote:
luksol wrote:Ok, I have solved this problem, but another one popped in later on:

Code: Select all
/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/toolchain/bin/armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-objcopy -O srec u-boot u-boot.srec
/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/toolchain/bin/armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-objcopy --gap-fill=0xff -O binary u-boot u-boot.bin
./mkbl2 u-boot.bin bl2.bin 14336
/bin/bash: ./mkbl2: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Makefile:349: recipe for target 'u-boot.bin' failed
make[1]: *** [u-boot.bin] Error 126
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/odroid/Build/openelec-4.1.6/build.OpenELEC-Odroid-U2.arm-4.1.6/u-boot-2010.12.ae1bb3c'
make: *** [image] Error 1


This one looks like mkbl2 is being executed, but it is not compiled for the host OS. I've not seen this error yet. I'd look into A.) does this mkbl2 need to be executed (Answer is NO btw), and B.) what gcc compiled it? (you would want host-gcc not armv7a-openelec-linux-gnueabi-gcc).

Did you change anything in the source that might have had an affect on the output?


I have just figured it out, it is x86 binary and I tried to execute it on odroid (I am actually building it on odroid).
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:48 am

Yeah, the OpenELEC sources seem to assume we are cross-compiling from x86 to whatever. Although in this case it's the u-boot sources are the one making assumptions.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:54 am

zalaare wrote:Yeah, the OpenELEC sources seem to assume we are cross-compiling from x86 to whatever. Although in this case it's the u-boot sources are the one making assumptions.


It may be worth adding this piece of information to the first post? Chances are that someone is going to make the same mistake as I did.

Recompiling it on x86, fun! :)
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 am

luksol wrote:It may be worth adding this piece of information to the first post? Chances are that someone is going to make the same mistake as I did.)


Good idea, and done!
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby memeka » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 am

optio50 wrote:Is this most recent version able to control the volume from within XBMC (plus, minus keys)?
Previously it has not had an effect.


you can always just modify your keyboard.xml.
User avatar
memeka
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby optio50 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:18 am

memeka wrote:
optio50 wrote:Is this most recent version able to control the volume from within XBMC (plus, minus keys)?
Previously it has not had an effect.


you can always just modify your keyboard.xml.



The keys work fine. The volume display moves left and right as expected but the volume amplification does not change.
optio50
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U-3

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby recliq » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:27 pm

What's your audio configuration? If you enabled audio passthough the volume setting in XBMC has no effect.
User avatar
recliq
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: 2xU2 + U3 + XU3 + 2xXU4 + C2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm

I have compiled OE, moved image to SDCard, it starts to boot but then I get this message:

Code: Select all
failed to load xorg.
Is your GPU supported?


Any idea what may be wrong?
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 pm

luksol wrote:I have compiled OE, moved image to SDCard, it starts to boot but then I get this message:

Code: Select all
failed to load xorg.
Is your GPU supported?


Any idea what may be wrong?


What device did you put this on? 4.1.6.0 will only work on the U2/3. If this is your device please ssh into your device and then provide the output of
Code: Select all
udevadm info -a /dev/mali


In anycase you can manually run
Code: Select all
systemctl start xorg-configure@mali.service

and if armsoc supports your mali device, it will work (for this boot).

PS: Starting with 4.2.1.0 (when I release it), I am not going to use udev rules to guess the gpu and it should* be more reliable.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 pm

zalaare wrote:What device did you put this on? 4.1.6.0 will only work on the U2/3. If this is your device please ssh into your device and then provide the output of


Nope, not available on the network. Is ssh enabled on default? I thought you have to enable it during first run? Anyway, device is X@, I have followed your advice and copied X2 kernel config. Other than that, I did not changed anything from your sources.
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Well snap! I don't have an X2 so I can only give you advice instead of howto's.

1.) Take a look at this patch that I did to revert udev gpu configuration. This should be able to be used on your sources. This will simply make sure xorg-configure@mali.service always runs no matter what gpu is found.

2.) If you can get the gui up and running, your next hurdle will be sound.

3.) If you can get the sound working as you want (which might be working anyway), then comes the video acceleration. Which again might be already working.

PS: After spending the last month or so working on getting the XU3 working, I'm not overly optimistic that the X2 will be as easy as the above patch attempt. BUT I truly hope so for your sake :)

Best of luck,
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 pm

zalaare wrote:Well snap! I don't have an X2 so I can only give you advice instead of howto's.

1.) Take a look at this patch that I did to revert udev gpu configuration. This should be able to be used on your sources. This will simply make sure xorg-configure@mali.service always runs no matter what gpu is found.

2.) If you can get the gui up and running, your next hurdle will be sound.

3.) If you can get the sound working as you want (which might be working anyway), then comes the video acceleration. Which again might be already working.

PS: After spending the last month or so working on getting the XU3 working, I'm not overly optimistic that the X2 will be as easy as the above patch attempt. BUT I truly hope so for your sake :)

Best of luck,


I'll give your patch a go. Th X2 uses the same SoC as U2, so I hope that it will not be that difficult as XU3. We will see.
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 am

I have actually managed to get to the box via ssh:
Code: Select all
none:~ # udevadm info -a /dev/mali

Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
and the attributes from one single parent device.

  looking at device '/devices/platform/mali-utgard.0/misc/mali':
    KERNEL=="mali"
    SUBSYSTEM=="misc"
    DRIVER==""

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform/mali-utgard.0':
    KERNELS=="mali-utgard.0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="platform"
    DRIVERS=="mali-utgard"

  looking at parent device '/devices/platform':
    KERNELS=="platform"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""


and

Code: Select all
systemctl start xorg-configure@mali.service


and I have xbmc up and running! :) don't know about performance yet, no time to test now, but I will let you know once I get there
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Ok, happy to report that video decoding is working, mali acceleration is working as well (as far as I can tell) and everything seems ok. I had so far tested h264 file, nothing fancy and although I can see occasional frame drop I only had 2 in 6 minutes I played the video and it was at the beginning. Didn't do any streams etc. I will get to these later

Is there anyway to enable this command at boot:
Code: Select all
systemctl start xorg-configure@mali.service

?
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:02 pm

How can I get a screenshot?
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 am

Solved 'Is your GPU supported' issue with creating /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh

# Launching mali service to avoid 'Is your GPU supported' messages
systemctl start xorg-configure@mali.service


seems to be working.
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 am

luksol wrote:Solved 'Is your GPU supported' issue with creating /storage/.config/autostart.sh

So the patch didn't work? Or did you not use it?
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 pm

zalaare wrote:
luksol wrote:Solved 'Is your GPU supported' issue with creating /storage/.config/autostart.sh

So the patch didn't work? Or did you not use it?


I didn't use your patch yet. I had access via ssh so I did some testing this way. I will use your patch later on and let you know if it worked.

So far it works really well, my X2 has a new life! :) Thank you!
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 am

luksol wrote:So far it works really well, my X2 has a new life! :) Thank you!


Great News!

Can you provide me the output of:
Code: Select all
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^Hardware | awk -F : '{print $2}' | sed 's, ,,'

This way I can add the X2 to the upcoming 4.2.1.0 build.

Thanks so much!
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Time keeps on ticking, and I'm getting to the point I may release 4.2.1.0 whether the XU3 support is perfect or not. I really don't want to release it, but since its a universal image, its holding up the U2/U3 release as well. There are only really two problem existing yet on the XU3 and one, maybe a symptom of the other:

1.) Only 1 of the 8 CPU cores is working. I've been told this is a gcc bug, yet I've rebuilt with 4.7, 4.8, and 4.9 GCC toolchains and always seem to get this error. (Once using a 4.7 GCC I didn't get the error, but I've never been able to re-create that result).
2.) MFC Decoding (currently using Owersun's implementation because Memeka's requires patches that breaks the U2/U3 MFC), consistently drops frames. The result is the same using Memeka's or Owersun's MFC implementation and makes me think this maybe a symptom of (1). However HW Accel, shouldn't need a cpu core to really work right so it's quite possible there is more at play here.

I'll try to put up a small video of (2) tonight when I get home. I had a video, but it turns out the camera didn't capture in a high enough def, to capture the information text.

@ anyone : If I can't get any new insight to these problems within the next week or so, I think I'll release with big red letters. If I do, I may proverbially smack someone if they report either of these two problems post-release. :-p
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby heldma1m » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi zalaare,

I'm looking forward for your next release.
I also have frame drops in the ubuntu image with XBMC, so I think it has nothing to do with the cpu cores.
However I hope you can fix the issues. Thank you for your work.

Best regards
heldma1m
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: U3, XU3

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Keep in mind when I says consistently, I mean as in non-stop continuous throughout the entirety of any video. Not in chunks or blobs or moments or upon ff or rw operations. I mean all the time. The video will be best to illustrate. I have set the audio to Fixed 44.1 as Owersun found and pointed out. Just crazy confusing how this better/more powerful XU3 is so abysmal compared to my U3. :o

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I really do appreciate it all.

EDIT
Odroid XU3 w/ OpenELEC 4.2.1.0 MFC : Failing
EDIT EDIT
Definitely the problems all stem from the 1 cpu core problem.
Odroid XU3 w/ OpenELEC 4.2.1.0 MFC : Working while using lower CPU usage
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby FunkyBob » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:52 pm

This has been working great on my U2, however I have a couple of things to report:

1. After a few weeks, the config seems to get confused.

It stops remembering the Wifi is enabled.
It forgets there are audio devices.

A config soft reset fixes this, but sucks.

2. The audio jack is not a sound output option.

I'm running it as a media player on our second TV, which only has a DVI input, so I can't use HDMI audio.
FunkyBob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-u2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby wydziub » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:23 pm

I had the same problem with audio. The hdmi output dissapeared.
After looking into the dmesg it came out that the reason was most probably broken file system and missing files. I did not use shutdown option in Openelec, instead I've been just plunging off power supply on working system. I think this caused broken file system and sound card driver problem in my case.
I restored from backup image. Right now I always use Shutdown from Openelec before power off and problem did not repeat.
wydziub
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:28 am

I've made some headway in regards to the 1 cpu core problem with the help of mdrjr. We'll continue pursuing this for a bit longer just in case the fix is right around the corner. If it again looks hopeless I'll look to put up the 4.2.1.0 release.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby FunkyBob » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:07 am

wydziub wrote:I had the same problem with audio. The hdmi output dissapeared.
After looking into the dmesg it came out that the reason was most probably broken file system and missing files. I did not use shutdown option in Openelec, instead I've been just plunging off power supply on working system. I think this caused broken file system and sound card driver problem in my case.
I restored from backup image. Right now I always use Shutdown from Openelec before power off and problem did not repeat.


OK. That would explain the gradual decline. Usually I had to unplug because it would go to sleep when the TV was off, and no way to wake it up.

Now, if only I could get it to select the headphone audio, all would be sweet again :)
FunkyBob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-u2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby zalaare » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:18 am

Finally toppled the last blocker bug and got all 8 cores up and running with OpenELEC on the XU3. I've released 4.2.1.0 on the front page! Please note the requirement for using the new .bin method of install of this image. This includes U2, U3, and XU3 installs as the old install does not have a big enough System partition to hold the dual Kernel setup (at least not well enough).

Best of luck!
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby Hominidae » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:39 am

8-) ...Whoa! This is some awesome piece of work!

...gave it a quick shot on my XU3

- used a 16GB SD Card...flashed it with the instructions from #1 post on my linux workstation

-> openelec did not resize the partition automatically

-> the MAC for eth0 is different from standard HK images (I use my DHCP-server to hand-out "static" IPs based on known MACs)

-> as my TV does not seem to support EDID, I hat to ssh in and change the settings to 1080p-noedid

-> USB3 disk gets detected, but is unstable ... unmounts/remounts frequently until UI freezes....works stable when connected on USB2

-> tested with some MKVs (h.264, AAC, FullHD, 50Hz converted from Bluray.....will test with some "real" Bluray material later during weekend)
--> the first movie will play fine....not a single noticeable glitch!!!
--> when I quit/stop playback and select another/next, the system stops at "working", tries loading the media but nothing happens..

-> doing a "rewind/forward" during playback made the UI freeze completely...after a while, fan stops spinning, but still frozen while "top" reports all cores idle...had to ssh in and reboot

More things I noticed:

- fan is always spinning high during playback (...if I keep this, I need a silencing option fast ;) )

- I don't have a xbmc remote to test with, only a keyboard and mouse..my openelec x86 htpc relies on CEC :mrgreen:
Hominidae
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby mdrjr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 am

First playing movie will always be fine...
If you stop it.. give it a sec or two and play another it will work..
Its the same for seek.. the same issue

This is a known issue on the MFC we aren't sure how to fix it yet :(
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11637
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby Hominidae » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:33 pm

...interesting.
I gather the same problem exists with xbmc in the latest ubuntu image?
If so, I did *not* see these things happening when I tested that image...but I've only gave it a few shots, I admit.
With the openelec image, the problems were apparent from the start.
Also with ubuntu fan wasn't spinning during playback ;)
Hominidae
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby zalaare » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:32 am

Hominidae wrote:8-) ...Whoa! This is some awesome piece of work!
-> openelec did not resize the partition automatically

and its not supposed to.
Hominidae wrote:-> the MAC for eth0 is different from standard HK images (I use my DHCP-server to hand-out "static" IPs based on known MACs)

quite right
Hominidae wrote:-> USB3 disk gets detected, but is unstable ... unmounts/remounts frequently until UI freezes....works stable when connected on USB2

I've not experience this as yet. thanks for the info.
EDIT: I've tested this with my USB 3 HDD now too. Mine however, does not get detected at all. Like yours the USB 2 Ports work flawlessly.
Hominidae wrote:--> the first movie will play fine....not a single noticeable glitch!!!
--> when I quit/stop playback and select another/next, the system stops at "working", tries loading the media but nothing happens..

I've noticed similar, but after the first reboot: no more issues.
Hominidae wrote:-> doing a "rewind/forward" during playback made the UI freeze completely...after a while, fan stops spinning, but still frozen while "top" reports all cores idle...had to ssh in and reboot

Not had this happen either.

Thanks.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby Hominidae » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:52 am

zalaare wrote:
Hominidae wrote:8-) ...Whoa! This is some awesome piece of work!
-> openelec did not resize the partition automatically

and its not supposed to.


Ah...ok..my bad...maybe I misread some of your instructions...no worries, the manual resize_me procedure went flawless.

Hominidae wrote:-> the MAC for eth0 is different from standard HK images (I use my DHCP-server to hand-out "static" IPs based on known MACs)

quite right


I found the MAC to be stable for all HK images, even between linux and Android...this I found very convenient, as I will always find my XU3 device after a re-flash this way.

Hominidae wrote:-> USB3 disk gets detected, but is unstable ... unmounts/remounts frequently until UI freezes....works stable when connected on USB2

I've not experience this as yet. thanks for the info.
EDIT: I've tested this with my USB 3 HDD now too. Mine however, does not get detected at all. Like yours the USB 2 Ports work flawlessly.

I am using a Toshiba 2.5 store.ALU 2.5" 1TB drive, NTFS formatted.....carrying media for when I am traveling ..connecting directly to hotel TVs or my Android stick.
It runs on very little power, although being a spinner, moist USB2 ports will drive it fine.

Hominidae wrote:--> the first movie will play fine....not a single noticeable glitch!!!
--> when I quit/stop playback and select another/next, the system stops at "working", tries loading the media but nothing happens..

I've noticed similar, but after the first reboot: no more issues.


I rebooted via ssh command when the freeze occurred..AFAIR I never rebooted via the UI so far..will try.
I remember that my x86 openelec box sometimes showed these kind of effects....a bug/glitch after upgrade/first boot but it misteriously was gone after the first reboot.

Hominidae wrote:-> doing a "rewind/forward" during playback made the UI freeze completely...after a while, fan stops spinning, but still frozen while "top" reports all cores idle...had to ssh in and reboot

Not had this happen either.

Interesting...as noted in my post above, I did not see that either with the latest HK ubunbtu/XBMC image.

Thanks.


....no worries...THANK YOU and keep up the good work...drop me a note when you need something to be tested.
Hominidae
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby zalaare » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:27 am

The fan is set on auto. I don't know how to change it on XU3. Hopefully an answer will pop up regarding this along the way, but at this time it seems to spin up every 20-30 seconds for 20-30 seconds.
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby Hominidae » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:52 am

with the fan on auto, which AFAIU means it is temperature controlled, this indicated that ubuntu/XBMC and Android HK image
is more ressource efficient than openelec on the XU3 during playback.
Hominidae
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby FunkyBob » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Just tried the 4.2 image.

Imaged to my eMMC twice, wouldn't boot at all.

Worked on a SD card.

Whilst I can select analogue audio output, I can't hear the UI sounds.

Also, when I tried to log onto my wifi, it locks up the whole machine.
FunkyBob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-u2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby luksol » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:30 pm

zalaare wrote:
luksol wrote:So far it works really well, my X2 has a new life! :) Thank you!


Great News!

Can you provide me the output of:
Code: Select all
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^Hardware | awk -F : '{print $2}' | sed 's, ,,'

This way I can add the X2 to the upcoming 4.2.1.0 build.

Thanks so much!


Hi zalaare, sorry for the delay. Output of this command you posted is:

Code: Select all
OpenELEC:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^Hardware | awk -F : '{print $2}' | sed 's, ,,'
ODROIDX2
OpenELEC:~ #


I hope that helps?
luksol
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: X2

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby Rhorandir » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:37 am

Can someone help me, with that .bin file methode i just don't get it working ... i guess i have to do this with another linux system , i tried it with ubuntu 14.x via usb boot and want to bring the image on my emmc or if that doesn't work on a sd card ... but it says 'permission denied' ... is there a way to bring it directly to an image or must i write it directly on the device ... or does anyone have an idea why it doesn't work ...
Thank you for your help :)
Rhorandir
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:39 am
languages_spoken: german,english
ODROIDs: U3

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:15 am

luksol wrote:Hi zalaare, sorry for the delay. Output of this command you posted is:

Code: Select all
OpenELEC:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^Hardware | awk -F : '{print $2}' | sed 's, ,,'
ODROIDX2
OpenELEC:~ #


I hope that helps?


I'll add it to the next build. As I recall, it was all U2/3 based right? same SoC? and all?
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

Re: OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3

Unread postby zalaare » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:18 am

Rhorandir wrote:Can someone help me, with that .bin file methode i just don't get it working ... i guess i have to do this with another linux system , i tried it with ubuntu 14.x via usb boot and want to bring the image on my emmc or if that doesn't work on a sd card ... but it says 'permission denied' ... is there a way to bring it directly to an image or must i write it directly on the device ... or does anyone have an idea why it doesn't work ...
Thank you for your help :)


Permission denied means your either not running the .bin as root OR you don't have a device nod at the /dev/nod that you are telling it to write.

unplug your device (eject the sd card), and delete any file that resides at /dev/$WhereYourSDCardWouldBe, then plug your device back in (insert sd card). The nod should be recreated at /dev/WhereYourSDCardWouldBe again and try again to run the .bin script:
Code: Select all
sudo ./OpenELEC-Odroid-4.2.1.0.bin U3|XU3 /dev/$WhereYourSDCardWouldBe


OR: as you seem to want an image
Code: Select all
./OpenELEC-Odroid-4.2.1.0.bin U3/XU3 $HOME/My.IMAGE.img
sudo dd if=$HOME/My.IMAGE.img of=/dev/$WhereYourSDCardWouldBe


GL
zalaare
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3 Community | XU3 | XU4 | C1 | C1+

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests