SoftFloat (SoftFP) Linux Image

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

SoftFloat (SoftFP) Linux Image

Unread postby PedroRod » Tue May 24, 2016 9:52 am

Hey guys,

I have a library written for soft-float (SoftFP) and I need a pure soft float linux Image (It can by any distro)

I have tried compiling my own rootfs and there is so little information out there that makes it really hard to do for such a Linux newbie like me.

There are a few posts but all the links are down and also, I managed to download an old ARCH linux distro (archlinuxarm-2012-09-16) that was compiled with SoftFP but I cannot get it to boot on the Odroid.

Does any one has a linux image that is compiled in Soft-float??
PedroRod

languages_spoken: english

Re: SoftFloat (SoftFP) Linux Image

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue May 24, 2016 2:18 pm

You should search for a debian rootfs based on soft float. I guess the architecture is called "arm". Or you could use debootstrap to make one. Or you could set up an lxc with this architecture on top of a armhf system.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 24, 2016 4:52 pm

debootstrap can create "pure" armel images (armel = SoftFP). It should be rather easy for you to find a HowTO if you google for it.

Still you will be very limited with that image, since the GPU drivers only exists for HardFloat and therefore you will only be able to create a server image (or an image without GPU acceleration). Means no Kodi, no 3D games, no Chromium with HW acceleration, etc.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby PedroRod » Wed May 25, 2016 7:30 am

Do you guys think that just changing the rootfs would work??

The library's documentation calls for a SoftFP Little Endian Linux OS
PedroRod

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 25, 2016 3:16 pm

yes, I've done that before.
I created a soft-float image for the ODROID XU3/XU4 which is working fine, except from GPU support.
In fact you could probably take my XU3 rootfs and use it on the U3 or as well you only need to exchange the Kernel module
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Return to Other OS