[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 pm

if you have another linux machine you can edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and allow root passwort login.
That way you can use SSH to connect to the system directly.

Still I wonder why you don't see anything through HDMI. As far as I remember the output is set to 1280x720 nearly all TVs/Monitors should be able to use this resolution.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby Gawain » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:13 am

It could be my Micro HDMI adapter. I have ordered a new one. Thanks for your help. I will try to edit the files!
Gawain

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby gjr80 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 am

Hi,

I have been using a minimal Wheezy image (obtained from these forums somehwere but can't remember where) on my U3 with the root FS moved to an attached USB disk for well over a year. For a number of reasons I would now like to upgrade to Jessie and keep the same configuration (root FS on USB). I have downloaded the Jessie image from this thread, reflashed and all works well, thanks. I copied the root FS over to the USB disk and got up to the stage of telling boot.ini where to load the root FS only to find there is no boot.ini, rather there is a boot.scr. No matter, some searching of the forums and I ended up at the article in the March 2014 Odroid Magazine 'Booting a Linux Distribution from an External USB Drive'. I worked through that article only to come to grief when it came to copying modules for an updated uInitrd - 2 of 3 of the mentioned modules did not exist, I note that the kernel version differ slightly so I guess that explains why. Whilst I am relatively Linux literate figuring this out is beyond my skills. Would appreciate if anyone could give me a pointer in the right direction.

Gary
gjr80

Unread postby gjr80 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Not sure how I missed the obvious - my kernel is 3.8.13.30 so no need to do anything. Turns out real problem was my hard disk - seems my U3 did not like the USB disk I used first up. Tried it with another disk and no problems, U3 boots fine, rootFS on USB disk, all's well! Sorry for the noise.

gjr80 wrote:I have been using a minimal Wheezy image (obtained from these forums somehwere but can't remember where) on my U3 with the root FS moved to an attached USB disk for well over a year. For a number of reasons I would now like to upgrade to Jessie and keep the same configuration (root FS on USB). I have downloaded the Jessie image from this thread, reflashed and all works well, thanks. I copied the root FS over to the USB disk and got up to the stage of telling boot.ini where to load the root FS only to find there is no boot.ini, rather there is a boot.scr. No matter, some searching of the forums and I ended up at the article in the March 2014 Odroid Magazine 'Booting a Linux Distribution from an External USB Drive'. I worked through that article only to come to grief when it came to copying modules for an updated uInitrd - 2 of 3 of the mentioned modules did not exist, I note that the kernel version differ slightly so I guess that explains why. Whilst I am relatively Linux literate figuring this out is beyond my skills. Would appreciate if anyone could give me a pointer in the right direction.
regards,

Gary
gjr80

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 03, 2016 2:03 pm

glad it worked out fine for you :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby Xorg » Wed May 04, 2016 5:31 pm

how did you get that awesome terminal in the screenshot in OP?
Xorg

ODROIDs: ODROID-U3, ODROID-XU4

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Xorg wrote:how did you get that awesome terminal in the screenshot in OP?

Code: Select all
apt-get install cool-retro-term

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9380
meveric

Unread postby Xorg » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 pm

meveric wrote:
Xorg wrote:how did you get that awesome terminal in the screenshot in OP?

apt-get install cool-retro-term

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9380

What is that xf86-video-mali-odroid in your repo for? Is it useable / better than video-armsoc-odroid?
Xorg

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:11 pm

xf86-video-mali-odroid is for ODROID C1 and C2 only.
And no it's definitely NOT better than armsoc, C1 and C2 have many limitations due to the use of xf86-video-mali instead of xf86-video-armsoc.
meveric

Unread postby Captain Blackbird » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 pm

@meveric
I installed Jessie so far on my U3 with Xfce (via tasksel), the Mali400 , Kodi , Samsung Firmware like you posted.
Desktop works ok so far, VLC and Kodi not
It's impossible to play anything, even simple mpg/avi in low quality are 2second diashow in FullHD
Any clue what to fix?
Seems the GPU isn't used (shown as Mali400 in Kodi Systemoverview), in Kodi there ist high Cpu load in idle, menu and background pics are terrible slow
I saw you understand german, so: Die Grafik allgemein läuft wie ein Sack Nüsse

The image i used before was Wheezy with XBMC and ran quick and smooth, but XBMC crashed frequently if browsed many files
Also with Samba and Mumble, MPD additional installed

So how to get Jessie running smooth?
Captain Blackbird

ODROIDs: ODROID-U3+
ODROID-C2 (soon)

Unread postby meveric » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Captain Blackbird wrote:@meveric
I installed Jessie so far on my U3 with Xfce (via tasksel), the Mali400 , Kodi , Samsung Firmware like you posted.
Desktop works ok so far, VLC and Kodi not

VLC should not be used, it's a very bad player on ARM boards, and has no hardware acceleration at all.
Install mpv if you need a desktop player (aside from ffplay).
Kodi should work if you follow the guide in the first post. Installing Samsung Firmware alone is not enough, did you create the folder and copy the firmware files, as mentioned in the first post?

Captain Blackbird wrote:It's impossible to play anything, even simple mpg/avi in low quality are 2second diashow in FullHD
Any clue what to fix?

ffplay and mpv should be able to even play 1080p software decoded. 720p should work without issues, but even 1080p should mostly work.
Kodi should be able to use Hardware encoding and with that should be able to play 1080p H264 movies without issues.
Even without Hardware decoder most videos should work in software decoding (although not recommended).
Captain Blackbird wrote:Seems the GPU isn't used (shown as Mali400 in Kodi Systemoverview)

Kodi wouldn't start of GPU would not work also if it's showing Mali400 that means the GPU is found correctly.
Also please note, that there is a difference in GPU and VPU!
GPU = 3D grapchics acceleration
VPU = video acceleration for decoding movies

Captain Blackbird wrote:in Kodi there ist high Cpu load in idle, menu and background pics are terrible slow

High CPU load is unusual. While playing a movie without Hardware decoder, then yes, high CPU usage is expected, but on standing picture that should not happen.
Have you tried "glmark2-es2" to see if 3D is working and what the speed is?
Captain Blackbird wrote:I saw you understand german, so: Die Grafik allgemein läuft wie ein Sack Nüsse

Japp, wenn Dir Deutsch lieber ist, können wir via PN in deutsch weiter reden ;)

Captain Blackbird wrote:The image i used before was Wheezy with XBMC and ran quick and smooth, but XBMC crashed frequently if browsed many files
Also with Samba and Mumble, MPD additional installed

You "could" use my ODROID GameStation Turbo image if you want. It comes pre-installed and configured with Kodi and should work out of the box.
But this image should work as well.

Captain Blackbird wrote:So how to get Jessie running smooth?

Just make sure that you followed all steps on the first post, especially with the firmware.
Test if 3D acceleration is working properly by installing glmark2-es2, also I think I remember some time back there were some issues with XFCE and it's window manager, not sure if that's still the case.
You might want to try LXDE instead, or switch the window manager to something like openbox or something similar.
meveric

Unread postby Captain Blackbird » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 pm

@meveric
Ok, tested so far with glmark-es
3D runs quite good with 15fps, gave a glmark score of 14
Did so far all like in your Post one after one (braindead mode) and didn't forget anything of the steps XD
It's idiot-proof in my eyes.

btw. xsaver also running slow (not especially the gl ones)
Looks like VPU isn't used and all work is up to the CPU

Wrote you a longer PM in german...
Captain Blackbird

ODROID-C2 (soon)

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 am

Captain Blackbird wrote:@meveric
Ok, tested so far with glmark-es
3D runs quite good with 15fps, gave a glmark score of 14

That is NOT quite good! It should be at least 60 FPS most likely it's more like 100 FPS or more.
So something is not working correctly here.
meveric

Unread postby Captain Blackbird » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Ok, after we discussed some things in our native language...

I suppose the "bug" was using Compositor in Xfce enabled which you need to get the panels transparency
Now Kodi runs smooth and responsive as expected.
Using now Mate isn`t significant slower as i thought compared to Xfce.

Hope this helps others too.
Captain Blackbird

ODROID-C2 (soon)

Unread postby elemental » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 am

Hi,

Has anyone any idea how to get the reboot command working in this image. It was a basic necessity for my sever to keep it running 24*7 to atleast reboot it once a week via a cron job.

But on this image reboot does not work. Need to unplug and plugin the computer.

I has a Jessie image previously (Game station turbo), it was working there. Lost that image due to hard disk failure. I have a back up of that image. If someone know what to copy over or change, do let me know.

Regards.
elemental

ODROIDs: Odroid U2 running on micro-sd

Unread postby Xorg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:52 am

elemental wrote:Hi,

Has anyone any idea how to get the reboot command working in this image. It was a basic necessity for my sever to keep it running 24*7 to atleast reboot it once a week via a cron job.

But on this image reboot does not work. Need to unplug and plugin the computer.

I has a Jessie image previously (Game station turbo), it was working there. Lost that image due to hard disk failure. I have a back up of that image. If someone know what to copy over or change, do let me know.

Regards.

For me, meveric's Debian was a rock solid OS (switched to XU4 now), I had at least a month uptime easily, just rebooting after updating the OS. You shouldn't need to reboot on a regular basis in my experience
Xorg

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:01 am

Just flashed a "fresh" image.
First thing I tried after it was done is logging in as "root" and typed "reboot". -> Was rebooting normally as expected.
After reboot, I did a full system upgrade:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

After that I did reboot again (which needs to be done for the newer Kernel anyway), which was working fine as well.
I logged in with the new kernel and all updates and did a reboot again, and......... it's working.

So for what I can say it's working.

You haven't given more details about what you did to get to the point, or what you installed, so I can't recreate your setup. From what I can tell the server installation works fine and so does reboots.
If you installed a Desktop or other programs you might want to add this to your report.

I don't know why you "need" to reboot via cron once a week, that usecase sounds very odd to me.

Anyway, I can't recreate your issues, please add more infos how you encountered the issue, since I need to try to recreate it to find a solution for it.
meveric

Unread postby elemental » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:39 am

Hi,

Nope I cant still reboot. Everytime I type reboot from ssh, i need to run to my machine unplug the jack and plug in again.

My setup is similar to the setup I gave for wheezy here (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10877) , but I have migrated to Jessie with systemd and all the changes that come with it. Migration does not mean copying over files. I reconfigured everything on Jessie from scratch to work liek on wheezy. I installed LXDE as desktop and I did not do the Mali driver stuff that you mention. Now that you mention it, I also did kernel updates and all and I vaguely recall, reboot worked than. It must have stopped working after I installed the desktop. I don'T know what else to provide.

Rebooting via cron once a week kept my server stable. Otherwise it stops responding in my 2 years experience running a server on it.

Now I am switching some to tmpfs namely (var/log), my drupal cache folder: maybe it runs stabler this time around.

Thanks for testing it out though. Any other pointers. Know how the reboot command works or something ?

Regards

Regards,
elemental

Unread postby meveric » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:09 am

elemental wrote:My setup is similar to the setup I gave for wheezy here (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10877) , but I have migrated to Jessie with systemd and all the changes that come with it. Migration does not mean copying over files. I reconfigured everything on Jessie from scratch to work liek on wheezy. I installed LXDE as desktop and I did not do the Mali driver stuff that you mention. Now that you mention it, I also did kernel updates and all and I vaguely recall, reboot worked than. It must have stopped working after I installed the desktop. I don'T know what else to provide.

Having a desktop on a "Server" is a little strange, it hardly counts as a server that way ;)
Anyway, could be that LXDE is actually the issue, but I need to check on that.

elemental wrote:Rebooting via cron once a week kept my server stable. Otherwise it stops responding in my 2 years experience running a server on it.

Some of my ODROIDs run as servers for many months straight.
root@odroid-wheezy:~# uptime
 22:51:19 up 34 days, 12:10,  2 users,  load average: 0,08, 0,05, 0,09

that one actually has a LXDE desktop installed, but is a Debian Wheezy image^^
Other odroids have similar uptimes. I even use one ODROID as my router it connects to the internet, not the device I got from my ISP.

elemental wrote:Now I am switching some to tmpfs namely (var/log), my drupal cache folder: maybe it runs stabler this time around.

That's something I never liked. Especially /var/log.. If your system crashes and you have to reboot you never know what caused this, since you have no logs to check up on.
Especially for a server that's very dangerous. And if you open it up to the internet (like drupal might suggest) having no logs you can check up on is even more dangerous.
Also having /var/log in memory just reduces your overall RAM you have available for your applications.
Also drupal is not necessarily known to be secure.

elemental wrote:Thanks for testing it out though. Any other pointers. Know how the reboot command works or something ?

On Debian Wheezy "reboot" is a symlink towards "halt" on Debian Jessie it's a symlink towards systemctl. Could be that systemd is causing some issues here.
Maybe some of your programs do not close correctly and systemd does not shutdown correctly.
Could be that switching back to sysvinit might solve that issue.
meveric

Unread postby elemental » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:43 am

Desktop is convenience. It still is a server ;) I just have less ram for serving which is ok, as i dont have high traffic.

Yeah tmpfs has it drawbacks, but I rarely need to go to my logs or want to spend that time. I was rebooting every week, see, and not trying to figure out why my system destabliizes every 2 weeks or so that it doesnt respond anymore. :D

Constant ssh attacks and mod_sec I guess add up to the wear and tear. So on my new sd card (lost one sdcard and a hdd to date), I want to mount the caches and tmp and log dirs on tmpfs and see how long the card goes.
Yes I also google the link in jessie to systemctl, need to deactivate tmpfs and use the verbose flag to chceck whats going on with reboot. Will let you know .

I also google reboot, it is indeed linked to systemctl, and it has a verbose option I saw. Need to just deactive tmpfs and see what it spits out to troubleshoot.
elemental

Unread postby jaudo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:38 pm

how can I expand my file system? I'm using a 32gb micro sd card and would like to use everything not just 4gb
jaudo

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid U3 (coming soon)

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:12 am

jaudo wrote:how can I expand my file system? I'm using a 32gb micro sd card and would like to use everything not just 4gb

That depends on the image you're using I guess.. This image has auto resize on the first boot and will enlarge automatically.
Other images need to be enlarged either per hand or through scripts. gparted can be helpful or the odroid-utility if you use an image from HardKernel.
meveric

Unread postby alexandros301 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:45 am

rooted wrote:Over HDMI with a keyboard, you will need to logon to the server physically and edit the file or do it on a Linux machine.

I don't have an extra screen and keyboard so the only way to login this image is through SSH, even for the first time. How can I enable logging in as root via SSH on a Linux machine? My laptop runs Debian Jessie XFCE, and since you said that it can be done on a Linux machine, I thought of asking.
alexandros301

ODROIDs: ODROID-U3

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:55 am

you need a card reader and put in your SD/eMMC into that card reader. Then you edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change:
PermitRootLogin without-password
to
# PermitRootLogin without-password

With that root is allowed to login via password. Which is by default disabled on Debian Jessie.

The same is explained in the first post.
meveric

Unread postby alexandros301 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:46 am

meveric wrote:you need a card reader and put in your SD/eMMC into that card reader. Then you edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change:
to
# PermitRootLogin without-password

Inserting the eMMC module with a card reader, I can see it by typing:
ls /dev/

and there I can see a "/dev/sdb", "/dev/sdb1", and "/dev/sdb2", which by the way are not mounted on my system (that's why I can't see the eMMC module with "df -h"). What do I need to type to get access to the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file?

The same is explained in the first post.

I scanned through the posts of this thread, but I guess I missed that one, sorry.

BTW, thanks for creating this image!
alexandros301

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 am

alexandros301 wrote:Inserting the eMMC module with a card reader, I can see it by typing:
ls /dev/

and there I can see a "/dev/sdb", "/dev/sdb1", and "/dev/sdb2", which by the way are not mounted on my system (that's why I can't see the eMMC module with "df -h"). What do I need to type to get access to the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file?

Normally it should be automounted (most Linux version do that) or you can open your Nautilus and click the partition.
If it doesn't work you can try:
sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/

alexandros301 wrote:I scanned through the posts of this thread, but I guess I missed that one, sorry.

BTW, thanks for creating this image!

Yeah it's not very "prominent" placed.. Check for "SSH login:" and you find the passage.
meveric

Unread postby alexandros301 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:26 pm

meveric wrote:Normally it should be automounted (most Linux version do that) or you can open your Nautilus and click the partition.

Ok, that did the trick. I mounted the eMMC module and through my laptop's terminal I navigated to /media/alex/debian-jessie/etc/ssh/ and edited sshd_config with nano, commenting out the following line:

but it still won't let me log in via ssh...
Inserting the module back to my laptop and mounting it, I checked and the line in sshd_config is still commented out, but still no luck.
alexandros301

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:44 pm

that is how it normally works.. after that you just login as root with pw odroid and you should have access.
Nothing else ever needed to be done.

What you could also do, if you have a linux machine, create an SSH key for that machine.. copy the .pub certificate over to root/.ssh/authorized_keys that way you can login with a certificate (that is what "without-password" is all about)
meveric

Unread postby alexandros301 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:02 pm

meveric wrote:that is how it normally works.. after that you just login as root with pw odroid and you should have access.
Nothing else ever needed to be done.

Makes sense, but doesn't seem to work here. I login like this:
ssh root@192.168.2.7

then I'm asked for a password where I type "odroid" but I get a "Permission denied".

meveric wrote:What you could also do, if you have a linux machine, create an SSH key for that machine.. copy the .pub certificate over to root/.ssh/authorized_keys that way you can login with a certificate (that is what "without-password" is all about)

Excuse my ignorance, where do I find this .pub certificate?
alexandros301

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:25 pm

if you have a Linux PC/Laptop or such type:
ssh-keygen
and follow the infos on the screen.
Afterwards in the home folder of the user that you are you will find a folder ".ssh" in that folder there should be two files: "id_rsa" and "id_rsa.pub" the former is your private key and should be kept secure, the later is the public key and can be given away for others to accept your connection or for encryption.
For example you can add your public key and other public keys to a file "authorized_keys" in the .ssh folder of a user on another PC which means that "the user that has the private key fitting this public key, is allowed to connect to this machine".
meveric

Unread postby alexandros301 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:47 pm

meveric wrote:if you have a Linux PC/Laptop or such type:
ssh-keygen
and follow the infos on the screen.
Afterwards in the home folder of the user that you are you will find a folder ".ssh" in that folder there should be two files: "id_rsa" and "id_rsa.pub" the former is your private key and should be kept secure, the later is the public key and can be given away for others to accept your connection or for encryption.

The id_rsa and id_rsa.pub files already existed in my system, so I thought I don't need to run "ssh-keygen".
meveric wrote:For example you can add your public key and other public keys to a file "authorized_keys" in the .ssh folder of a user on another PC which means that "the user that has the private key fitting this public key, is allowed to connect to this machine".

Ok, again I mounted the eMMC module and did that. I copied the id_rsa.pub file to /root/.ssh/ of the Odroid image and changed its name to "authorized_keys". Tried to login and still no luck. Then I tried with:
ssh-copy-id user@123.45.56.78

but was again promted to type in a password which of course didn't go through.
Then I thought that with this key I could re-enable the line:

so I tried that too, but there's no way I can login to the device. I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but above are all the step I took, didn't do anything else.
Sorry for the noise, but I'd like to have a Debian image for my Odroid to work with.
Last edited by alexandros301 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
alexandros301

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:05 am

This might be a permission problem, see this for reference. In any case, you should provide logs from the client.
LiquidAcid

ODROIDs: X2

Unread postby alexandros301 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:16 am

Eventually I realized that I've made a mess with the IP address of both my laptop and the Odroid. I did manage finally to login just by commenting out the line:

Sorry for the noise again. I wanted to delete my previous posts that are irrelevant so that they don't confuse anyone reading this thread, but I can't (apart from the very last post I'm writing, this one).
Again, thanks for the image!
Last edited by alexandros301 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexandros301

Unread postby meveric » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:04 am

Glad you got it to work :)
meveric

Unread postby fulii » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi!
I happily see that this thread is still active. I've been using this linux for almost a year and its very stable, sometimes X crashes but i can live with that :)
But i have a problem since the beginning.
I can play any series in any quality, i can play movies in 720p and 1080p but i can't play movies below 720p for some reason.It starts but like every 5 seconds the video hangs for a second then continues.

I will put two ffprobes here same codec. one is a series that plays well one is a movie that doesn't.

Movie that "lags' :
root@odroid-jessie ~/librespot (git)-[master] # ffprobe /mnt/data/odroid/Downloads/Movies/Daddys.Home.2015.BDRiP.x264.HuN-HyperX/daddyshome-sd-hyperx.mkv
ffprobe version 2.6.9 Copyright (c) 2007-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-cflags='-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security ' --extra-ldflags='-Wl,-z,relro' --cc='ccache cc' --enable-shared --enable-libmp3lame --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-postproc --enable-x11grab --enable-libgsm --enable-libtheora --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libx264 --enable-libspeex --enable-nonfree --disable-stripping --enable-libvpx --enable-libschroedinger --disable-encoder=libschroedinger --enable-version3 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-avfilter --enable-libfreetype --enable-libvo-aacenc --disable-decoder=amrnb --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libaacplus --libdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf --disable-vda --enable-libbluray --enable-libcdio --enable-gnutls --enable-frei0r --enable-openssl --enable-libass --enable-libopus --enable-fontconfig --enable-libpulse --disable-mips32r2 --disable-mipsdspr1 --disable-mipsdspr2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libzvbi --enable-avresample --disable-htmlpages --disable-podpages --enable-libutvideo --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libx265 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libdc1394 --disable-altivec --shlibdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
libavutil 54. 20.100 / 54. 20.100
libavcodec 56. 26.100 / 56. 26.100
libavformat 56. 25.101 / 56. 25.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 11.102 / 5. 11.102
libavresample 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '/mnt/data/odroid/Downloads/Movies/Daddys.Home.2015.BDRiP.x264.HuN-HyperX/daddyshome-sd-hyperx.mkv':
Metadata:
encoder : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
creation_time : 2016-04-15 07:56:51
Duration: 01:36:01.95, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1767 kb/s
Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 563.729000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 1
Chapter #0:1: start 563.729000, end 1197.070000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 2
Chapter #0:2: start 1197.070000, end 1725.014000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 3
Chapter #0:3: start 1725.014000, end 2135.049000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 4
Chapter #0:4: start 2135.049000, end 2645.768000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 5
Chapter #0:5: start 2645.768000, end 3354.726000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 6
Chapter #0:6: start 3354.726000, end 3801.047000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 7
Chapter #0:7: start 3801.047000, end 4328.198000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 8
Chapter #0:8: start 4328.198000, end 4918.204000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 9
Chapter #0:9: start 4918.204000, end 5475.261000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 10
Chapter #0:10: start 5475.261000, end 5761.952000
Metadata:
title : Chapter 11
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 720x404, SAR 1:1 DAR 180:101, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
Metadata:
BPS : 1125828
BPS-eng : 1125828
DURATION : 01:36:01.923000000
DURATION-eng : 01:36:01.923000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 138148
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 138148
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 810867361
NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 810867361
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP: mkvmerge v8.0.0 ('Til The Day That I Die') 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: mkvmerge v8.0.0 ('Til The Day That I Die') 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC: 2016-04-15 07:56:51
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2016-04-15 07:56:51
_STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
_STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
Stream #0:1(hun): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
BPS : 640000
BPS-eng : 640000
DURATION : 01:36:01.952000000
DURATION-eng : 01:36:01.952000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 180061
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 180061
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 460956160
NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 460956160
Stream #0:2(hun): Subtitle: subrip (default) (forced)
Metadata:
BPS : 0
BPS-eng : 0
DURATION : 01:11:49.305000000
DURATION-eng : 01:11:49.305000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 12
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 12
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 355
NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 355
Stream #0:3(hun): Subtitle: subrip
Metadata:
BPS : 99
BPS-eng : 99
DURATION : 01:35:09.287000000
DURATION-eng : 01:35:09.287000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 2037
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 2037
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 70661
NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 70661

Series that plays well:
root@odroid-jessie ~/librespot (git)-[master] # ffprobe /mnt/data/odroid/Downloads/Series/Game\ of\ Thrones/S06/Game.of.Thrones.S06E02.PROPER.720p.HDTV.X264-BATV/Game.of.Thrones.S06E02.PROPER.720p.HDTV.x264-BATV.mkv
ffprobe version 2.6.9 Copyright (c) 2007-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-cflags='-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security ' --extra-ldflags='-Wl,-z,relro' --cc='ccache cc' --enable-shared --enable-libmp3lame --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-postproc --enable-x11grab --enable-libgsm --enable-libtheora --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libx264 --enable-libspeex --enable-nonfree --disable-stripping --enable-libvpx --enable-libschroedinger --disable-encoder=libschroedinger --enable-version3 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-avfilter --enable-libfreetype --enable-libvo-aacenc --disable-decoder=amrnb --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libaacplus --libdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf --disable-vda --enable-libbluray --enable-libcdio --enable-gnutls --enable-frei0r --enable-openssl --enable-libass --enable-libopus --enable-fontconfig --enable-libpulse --disable-mips32r2 --disable-mipsdspr1 --disable-mipsdspr2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libzvbi --enable-avresample --disable-htmlpages --disable-podpages --enable-libutvideo --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libx265 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libdc1394 --disable-altivec --shlibdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
libavutil 54. 20.100 / 54. 20.100
libavcodec 56. 26.100 / 56. 26.100
libavformat 56. 25.101 / 56. 25.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 11.102 / 5. 11.102
libavresample 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '/mnt/data/odroid/Downloads/Series/Game of Thrones/S06/Game.of.Thrones.S06E02.PROPER.720p.HDTV.X264-BATV/Game.of.Thrones.S06E02.PROPER.720p.HDTV.x264-BATV.mkv':
Metadata:
encoder : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1
creation_time : 2016-05-02 02:51:39
Duration: 00:53:38.72, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2768 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, bt709/unknown/unknown), 1280x718, SAR 1:1 DAR 640:359, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s (default)

Any help would be appriciated, again the 720p and fullhd movies plays well, but sometimes i dont need that quality, and its bugging me for 1 year now. :D

Thanks,
Viktor
fulii

languages_spoken: english,hungarian
ODROIDs: one poor u3

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:47 am

hmm, that's odd.. I've played videos in all kinds of formats and normally they work fine. Especially lower resolutions should work fine, since even if hardware decoding wouldn't work, software decoding could easily handle them.

My guess it's the way the video is encoded. There's a lot of extras in there, maybe something is not working right.
I also see it's all put together with mkvmerge, which at least in the past had some issues. Nowadays I don't think mkvmerge is used anymore.
I bet if you re-encode the movie with a different program it's probably working fine (for example with handbreak or so).

can you give me something like a sample file? So I can test it on my ODROIDs? Maybe a 30-60 sec clip?
meveric

Unread postby Gabee » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Gawain wrote:I have problem logging in using serial connection. If I try to use root user it doesn't ask for password. I'm using PuTTY.

Boot log attached.

Debian GNU/Linux 8 odroid-jessie ttySAC1

odroid-jessie login: root

Login incorrect

Maybe my reply quiet out of date, but I just bought an XU4 (I also have an XU3 Lite).

The solution is from a different box:
# rm /etc/securetty

In securetty you can define where the root can log in from - in this file in this image maybe ttySAC1 is missing.
Your console is at ttySAC1.
Gabee

languages_spoken: english, hungarian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU3Lite

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:38 pm

nice info, thanks :)
meveric

Unread postby alexandros301 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi,
I want to use one GPIO pin of the Odroid, and I'm checking this thread about it http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=3570.
@msidd mentions that GPIO 204 is not bind to I2C and that the following code should work out of the box:
echo 204 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio204/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio204/value
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio204/value
echo 204 > /sys/class/gpio/unexport

which doesn't seem to work for me (I've attached an LED between that pin and ground, with a 220Ohm resistor, and it won't light up). Also GPIO 199 doesn't work (which is bound to I2C). It is mentioned that the I2C bitbang driver should be disabled in order to be able to write values to the pins. The OS this thread is dealing with is Ubuntu. Any idea how to disable the I2C bitbang driver on this Jessie image? Or how to get access to the GPIOs of the Odroid?
alexandros301

Unread postby meveric » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:02 am

The Kernel for both Ubuntu and Debian should be the same. So I'm not sure what could be the issue. I'm not familiar with the GPIOs so I can't help you here.. sorry.
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:37 am

Check your LED specification.
Many LEDs are not working with 1.8volt driving.
Measure the output voltage with DMM first
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby alexandros301 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:09 am

odroid wrote:Check your LED specification.
Many LEDs are not working with 1.8volt driving.
Measure the output voltage with DMM first

Oh, didn't know the GPIO's are providing 1.8V. Thanks for that, will check it.
alexandros301

Unread postby fulii » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi!

Weird stuff again.
I bought a sony TV and i have a working CEC. It only works on HDMI1.
But when the TV turns off i have this in /var/log/messages :

Nov 13 22:07:13 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.183325] s5p_cec_irq_handler on irq 146
Nov 13 22:07:13 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.183381] cec: CEC_STATUS_RX_DONE!
Nov 13 22:07:13 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.185417] s5p_cec_poll: rx = done
Nov 13 22:07:13 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.189105] s5p_cec_read, 16 bytes
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.474522] s5p_cec_irq_handler on irq 146
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.474577] cec: CEC_STATUS_RX_DONE!
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.476594] s5p_cec_poll: rx = done
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.480014] s5p_cec_read, 16 bytes
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.806909] s5p_cec_write, 2 bytes
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.806993] s5p_cec_copy_packet(): written 2 bytes to cec_base
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.875074] s5p_cec_irq_handler on irq 146
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.875120] cec: CEC_STATUS_TX_DONE!
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.877301] cec:       written count: 2
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.881066] s5p_cec_ioctl, cmd = 0x40046300, arg = 0xab2fdc2c
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.886456] cec: logical address = 0x0f
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.890249] s5p_cec_ioctl, cmd = 0x40046300, arg = 0xab2fdbf4
Nov 13 22:07:14 odroid-jessie kernel: [  225.895772] cec: logical address = 0x0f
Nov 13 22:07:20 odroid-jessie kernel: [  230.368612] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
Nov 13 22:07:20 odroid-jessie kernel: [  231.778962] mmc0: card b368 removed

it seems for me that CEC sends a signal to turn off the device.
Anyone any idea how to filter these messages.
It happens when i push the power button on the TV and when i set a sleep timer.

Thanks,
Viktor
fulii

languages_spoken: english,hungarian
ODROIDs: one poor u3

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:56 pm

1. CEC only working on HDMI1 is a known issue.
2. If you use Kodi and turn off the TV you have to be careful. By Default Kodi tries to turn off the device if you do that, and you should disable this option in the CEC settings of Kodi.
meveric

Unread postby jkl555 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi. I flashed the image in the OP and followed all the instructions and installed kodi 16.1 which is really what I want. I have another laptop running kodi 16.1 on lubuntu which runs ok but I have a problem with this kodi on U3 running Jessie.

I use a centralized MySQL on a NAS (http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL) to sync up all my kodi devices. In particular I use NFS to access the NAS. But this doesn't work on this Jessie image. I thought I need nfs on this image and so I install nfs-common. But it doesn't help. The symptom is very easy to reproduce even without MySQL set up. Just try to access from kodi to any video file on the network using NFS. Nothing will pop up. SMB on the other hand works okay. I wonder what else I need to install or set up ... but I don't want to change the MySQL to go from nfs to samba which is a lot of work for me.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.
jkl555

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:38 am

try installing libnfs4 that should be the correct library that is required for NFS.
meveric

Unread postby jkl555 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:24 am

Just try installing libnfs4 and same result.

root@odroid-jessie:~# dpkg -l | grep -i nfs
ii libnfs4:armhf 1.9.5-2 armhf NFS client library (shared library)

Any idea ?
jkl555

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:48 pm

from all reports I heard installing libnfs4 should allow Kodi to access NFS shares, not sure if that includes the rest of the OS as well.
Have you tried mounting NFS via /etc/fstab?
meveric

Unread postby jkl555 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:20 pm

I can do more experiments when I home tonight. I remembered I can mount it manually. Maybe something else isn't set up. Don't know if this helps our not. I run the command showmount which is from the nfs-common package, and it returns something like 'clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered'. Some reports said that means the 'nfs service is not running'.
jkl555

Unread postby jkl555 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:29 am

No idea what is missing. I can mount the nfs manually but kodi can't still browse the nfs shares.

odroid@odroid-jessie:~$ showmount -e
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered
odroid@odroid-jessie:~$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.9:/XBMC /mnt <== success
jkl555

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS