ODROID Magazine April Issue Available Now! (Kali Linux)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

ODROID Magazine April Issue Available Now! (Kali Linux)

Post by robroy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:05 am

Hardkernel is proud to announce that the ODROID Magazine for April 2015 is now available!

Kali Linux is one of our favorite distributions, as it includes a wide variety of security penetration testing software. Offensive Security, the developers of Kali, are ODROID fans, and have released a version for every model so far. Kali on the ODROID can be the basis for a lucrative business, offering something that every company needs: peace of mind. Learn how to install Kali Linux on the ODROID-C1 from our feature article, and you may be able to offer professional and affordable security testing with minimum startup costs.

Also featured is another amazing technical guide by Venkat showing us how to make our homes smarter using OpenHAB, as well as a tutorial by Marian on Ambilight, which makes it more fun to watch videos and listen to music. Tobias brings us a special on running the original Warcraft series on modern hardware, Nanik looks at the Android Low Memory Killer Daemon, we learn how to triple-boot on an ODROID-C1 with Android, Linux and OpenELEC, and much more!
  • 6 Kali Linux: Take your ODROID to the Edge with the Most Advanced Penetration Testing Distribution Ever Created
    10 EMMC Recovery: Take Advantage of Flash Block Utilization to Recover Your Data
    10 Android Gaming: Only One - A Tribute to the Action Genre Like You Always Wanted
    11 Build Your Own Ambilight: Add an Extra Dimension to Your Videos
    14 Installing Linux an on External USB Drive: Get More Space on Your Root Partition
    15 GPIO Shutdown: Add an External Shutdown To Stop Your Device with a Single Touch
    16 OpenHAB: A Guide to Open Source Home Automation
    26 ODROID-C1 Triple Boot: Pack Ubuntu/Debian Linux, Android and OpenELEC into a Single Physical Volume
    27 Improved XU3 Fan: Staying Quiet
    28 Linux Gaming: The Original Warcraft Series
    31 ODROID-C1 Video Contest: Show Others What You Know
    32 Android Development: Introducing the New Low Memory Killer Daemon
    33 Android Gaming: Iron Force - Explosive Tank Battles
    33 Android Gaming: Beach Buggy Racing - Action Cartoon-Style Racing in the Best Location on Earth... the Beach!
    34 Meet an ODROIDian: Anthony Salter (@ViridianGames), Devoted Father and Entertainment Expert
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

memeka
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: ODROID Magazine April Issue Available Now! (Kali Linux)

Post by memeka » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:35 am

Just a few corrections for the ambilight article :)

Figures 1 and 2 images should be switched;
THe LED strip power is then connected => The LED;
To start boblight daemon on boot, add an upstart (Ubuntu 14.04) script in /etc/initboblight.conf => /etc/init/boblight.conf

robroy

Post by robroy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:55 am

I fixed the Ambilight article, thanks for letting me know.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

Kyran
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyran » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:29 pm

The latest version of Stratagus is 2.3 (2015), not 2.2.7 (2012).

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 am

Kyran wrote:The latest version of Stratagus is 2.3 (2015), not 2.2.7 (2012).
Which was released AFTER the article was written... but anyway, good to know there's a newer version now, i probably build new packages for it and see what i can get out of it, maybe they fixed OpenGL ES support, which would be good.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 pm

meveric wrote:Which was released AFTER the article was written...
And before it was published.
meveric wrote:maybe they fixed OpenGL ES support, which would be good.
It is currently being ported to SDL2.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Kyran wrote:
meveric wrote:Which was released AFTER the article was written...
And before it was published.
So? Doesn't mean you just snap with the fingers and the entire thing is rewritten and everything.

In fact my initial tests are not as good as hoped..
just using stratagus 2.3.0 broke wargus.. it did not find any music anymore and did not start any level but crashed.
After recompiling wargus against 2.3.0 it is at least starting..
Still doesn't look nice.. The SDL version has a white border around the mouse pointer, the OpenGL (ES) version seemed to work on the first glance but in game had MAJOR tearing issues. Could be it's only on the XU3, but i kinda doubt it.

It's nice to see there is some progress after so many years, but it's probably not ready yet.. I hope the other games such as wargus or stargus getting an update as well, that would be nice.
SDL2 could also help, depending on how they implement it.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:28 pm

meveric wrote:So? Doesn't mean you just snap with the fingers and the entire thing is rewritten and everything.
You don't need to act like that. Everything is fine. It was not a personal attack, and certainly doesn't warrant an unhinged response. All that's happened is a little error has been pointed out in one of the articles.

meveric

Post by meveric » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm

not sure why it's an error to say that version stratagus was on version 2.2.7 for several years, but ok... It's nice to see they finally have some progress again, let's hope it doesn't take another 3 years to see more of it..

venkatbo
ODROIDs: C0/C1+/C2; U3+; XU3-Lite/XU4; H2; VU/VU7+; Touchscreen Show TFT Cloudshell SmartPower mAHRS DAC GPS Multiscope Ocam

Post by venkatbo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Just as an FYI...

There is a 2~3 weeks lag-time before the release of the magazine and submission of the article.
It is fair to say, article authors try to get all the latest/greatest stuff working together, but in many cases, that is not possible. One of more of the needed components advances far enough breaking the integration. So, we tend to fall back to known working components.

It is kind of unrealistic to expect that all latest/greatest components will get used, the minute they are released ;-)

meveric

Post by meveric » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Something else i noticed while playing Wargus on Stratagus 2.3.0:
I was playing "Tides of Darkness (Alliance)" in Level 4 (Attack on Zul'dare) while playing on 2.2.7 i was constanly been attacked by the enemy and if you did not organized your ressources and build order properly it was hard to withstand.
On 2.3.0 i wasn't attacked at all.. I could build up my camp, an army and only when i started to explore the map and came close to the enemy they fought back.
After i lost my second round of ships the enemy came up to my Island the very first time.. that was about 30~45 minutes in the game.

That doesn't seem to be right..

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Post by phaseshifter » Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 pm

i am in Australia how do i get the "odroid" magazine down under..thanks...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid » Fri May 08, 2015 2:56 pm

phaseshifter wrote:i am in Australia how do i get the "odroid" magazine down under..thanks...
http://magazine.odroid.com/

robroy

Post by robroy » Fri May 08, 2015 2:57 pm

phaseshifter wrote:i am in Australia how do i get the "odroid" magazine down under..thanks...
http://magazine.odroid.com or search for it on the Google Play Store

urbina05
languages_spoken: English, Spanish

Post by urbina05 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello, how is it going the May edition? Thanks
Diego.

robroy

Post by robroy » Fri May 08, 2015 3:05 pm

urbina05 wrote:Hello, how is it going the May edition? Thanks
We plan on publishing the next issue early next week.

Return to “ODROID Magazine”