KitKat 4.4.4 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 (20150206)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

KitKat 4.4.4 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 (20150206)

Unread post by robroy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:20 am

I created an Android Kit Kat 4.4.4 image with a core suite of applications for a set-top box.

Download the image here (eMMC only):
KitKat 4.4.4 (Beta): http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 206.img.xz
JellyBean 4.1.2 (Stable): http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 714.img.xz

Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 is only available for eMMC module. Use Couch Potato instead if you do not have an eMMC module available. When writing to eMMC, use the eMMC->SD card adapter that came with your module and copy the image directly. It may be necessary to use the eMMC recovery tool before writing this image: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=969.

Already have an Android image?
Upgrade your existing image to Pocket Rocket with the Epic Loot Software Collection, which includes Kodi 14 and more: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=8787

Applications:
  • Chrome
    Firefox
    Kodi 14 Helix with hardware acceleration
    Gmail
    Google Drive
    ES File Explorer
    Ultra Explorer
    Terminal Emulator
    MX Player
    tTorrent
    BluezIME Controller with HID pack for use with Wiimote
    Angry Birds Star Wars I and II
    Angry Birds Space
    RetroArch
    Ad Away
    Jota+ Text Editor
    Juice SSH
    bVNC
    Screen Orientation Control
    Stickmount
    full!screen
    Youtube
    Netflix
    TED Talks
    Pandora
    PC Radio
    BusyBox
    ZArchiver
Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
  • 1. Configure the following apps and enable them with SuperUser permissions: AdAway, full!screen, and Screen Orientation Control.
    2. Start MXPlayer, select "Settings", choose "Decoder", and click all of the "H/W+ decoder" checkboxes.
Optional steps: Features in this release:
  • Kodi 14 Helix with hardware acceleration
    Installable on 8GB eMMC
Notes:
  • KitKat 4.4.4 is still in Beta, and some features may not yet be working properly. Please provide feedback and bug reports directly to the Hardkernel developers on the main KitKat thread if you encounter any issues.

When resizing the partitions using Gparted on a 64GB eMMC module, the FAT32 partition has a limit of 32GB in order to be recognized by the bootloader. It's recommended to backup, delete, recreate and restore the files to the FAT32 partition instead of resizing it.

The folder "/sdcard/Bootstrap" contains the installation files for apps that were downloaded from the developers' websites. Please copy the Bootstrap directory to an external USB drive for system restore purposes as it contains everything you need to rebuild Pocket Rocket from the official HardKernel release.

If you experience poor playback in Kodi, use MX Player instead, which also has hardware acceleration.

You can provide feedback directly to the Kodi developers here: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=164.

Kodi nightly updates are available here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/.

Last edited by robroy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 103 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

DiscoDave
languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: U2

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 (20130515)

Unread post by DiscoDave » Sun May 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Nicely done!
Last edited by DiscoDave on Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deggaa
languages_spoken: english, norwegian

Unread post by deggaa » Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks a heap! However, I'm just wondering - Has this ROM been tested for downloading torrents to a mechanical drive? The last time around I tried Android on my U2, I kept having these scheduler issues where I would quickly reach the maximum pending/outstanding write jobs allowed to the external drive, and then the downloads just stopped.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:56 pm

deggaa wrote:Thanks a heap! However, I'm just wondering - Has this ROM been tested for downloading torrents to a mechanical drive? The last time around I tried Android on my U2, I kept having these scheduler issues where I would quickly reach the maximum pending/outstanding write jobs allowed to the external drive, and then the downloads just stopped.
Youre welcome!

I had that same problem with the early HK 4.1.x images. Torrents work ok in the more recent versions.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

deggaa

Unread post by deggaa » Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks for the quick reply! I will be checking out Couch Potato shortly (Nice to have Netflix).

weiliu620
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by weiliu620 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

When I powered on my U2, I got a black screen. My monitor (a TV) shows something is connected but no signal. I've seen people have same issue on the ICS also, but I haven't try the ICS image yet. The unzip img file has size '5242880000', and the unzipping and 'dd' seems no errors.

I've read somewhere I can get the log of the booting by the debugging process (connect the board to PC via a usb cable), but I don't have this set up. Can the 1080 resolution be a cause?

spotrlederer
ODROIDs: X2

Unread post by spotrlederer » Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm

netflix can be fixed with a script that is available in the 4.1.2 sources from hardkernel as well as from the cyanogenmod odroidu2 builds available. the script changes a setting in the netflix mediaclient xml file that controls what version of JPlayer netflix uses for playing back video. the newest version 10 doesnt' work on 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 but the script (which goes into the /system/etc/init.d) changes this setting to use player version 6 which does work. give it a try..file attached, just unzip and place script in /system/etc/init.d.
Attachments
98netflix.zip
(312 Bytes) Downloaded 348 times

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon May 20, 2013 3:30 pm

weiliu620 wrote:I've read somewhere I can get the log of the booting by the debugging process (connect the board to PC via a usb cable), but I don't have this set up. Can the 1080 resolution be a cause?
You can reset to 720p resolution a couple ways:
1. Remove the files "boot.scr" and "boot.ini" from the root of the FAT32 partition.
2. Or, reformat the FAT32 partition after backing it up.

You can still peek at the kernel logs without the UART from another host system using a MicroSD -> USB adapter. In Ubuntu, the kernel log is stored at /var/log/kern.log but I'm not sure about the location of Android's log.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon May 20, 2013 3:33 pm

spotrlederer wrote:netflix can be fixed with a script that is available in the 4.1.2 sources from hardkernel as well as from the cyanogenmod odroidu2 builds available. the script changes a setting in the netflix mediaclient xml file that controls what version of JPlayer netflix uses for playing back video. the newest version 10 doesnt' work on 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 but the script (which goes into the /system/etc/init.d) changes this setting to use player version 6 which does work. give it a try..file attached, just unzip and place script in /system/etc/init.d.
I'll try it, thank you ;)

deggaa

Unread post by deggaa » Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm

weiliu620 wrote:When I powered on my U2, I got a black screen. My monitor (a TV) shows something is connected but no signal. I've seen people have same issue on the ICS also, but I haven't try the ICS image yet. The unzip img file has size '5242880000', and the unzipping and 'dd' seems no errors.

I've read somewhere I can get the log of the booting by the debugging process (connect the board to PC via a usb cable), but I don't have this set up. Can the 1080 resolution be a cause?
You haven't by any chance burned the image to your emmc? Because Pocket Rocket and Couch Potato are meant for an sd card. Burning to the emmc will cause this exact error ("something is connected but no signal")

sert00
languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread post by sert00 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:57 pm

oh....now i know why i can't run it...i tried many times on the emmc,no output video.how can i do if i want burn it in the emmc?because i need android on a faster support...and linux on sdcard..thanks!
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....

deggaa

Unread post by deggaa » Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Unfortunately, I have no idea :(

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 pm

sert00 wrote:oh....now i know why i can't run it...i tried many times on the emmc,no output video.how can i do if i want burn it in the emmc?because i need android on a faster support...and linux on sdcard..thanks!
I'd like to know how to burn it to eMMC too ;)

sert00
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread post by sert00 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 am

Let's see if someone else know how to do...i thnk Odroid or Mdjr would know why the same method dowsn't work on Emmc. :D
Guys,i installed on the sdcard (16gb class 10 Verbatim)and really like it!But i have 2 problems:
1:i fixed permissions from recovery,but often when i click on something i have a force-close (on phones a permission fix always fix the problems..but here not)
Not a bid problem,i can live with that
2 i can't download and install anything from market...i have many many apps i bought and use everyday in both my galaxy nxus and nexus 7..but on U2 there's always a fail,it say the server doesn't respond and i can't download\install anything from it.only way,fid apk and download on host pc,then transfer them on u2 and install.aaalso on yours boards behave so?it's really frustating,i have lots of games to download and install,with big data files...any tips is greatly appreciated!it could be gapps?i used what's in the rocket pocket pack....but i think they are supposed to work 100% if baked inside..right? :shock:
Ps--i use only Lan cable for the web connection,because i gave the Realtek RTL8191SU wifi module (from hardkernel)to a friends who is in hospital until he come back home
EDIT based on this (http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1198)seems like if used win32 app on windows,works also on emmc...but i haven't windows,only various ditros of linux in all my home's pcs,and with wine that don't work (or at least me)
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"

ccwbill
ODROIDs: u2

Unread post by ccwbill » Tue May 21, 2013 6:42 am

new to this just got it but I use win32diskimage (admin) and can't seem to write this image.

Any help would be great.

I can image the Hardkernal ones...using sd.

Thanks,

Bill

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 am

sert00 wrote:Let's see if someone else know how to do...i thnk Odroid or Mdjr would know why the same method dowsn't work on Emmc. :D
Guys,i installed on the sdcard (16gb class 10 Verbatim)and really like it!But i have 2 problems:
1:i fixed permissions from recovery,but often when i click on something i have a force-close (on phones a permission fix always fix the problems..but here not)
2 i can't download and install anything from market...i have many many apps i bought and use everyday in both my galaxy nxus and nexus 7..but on U2 there's always a fail,it say the server doesn't respond and i can't download\install anything from it.only way,fid apk and download on host pc,then transfer them on u2 and install.aaalso on yours boards behave so?it's really frustating,i have lots of games to download and install,with big data files...any tips is greatly appreciated!it could be gapps?i used what's in the rocket pocket pack....but i think they are supposed to work 100% if baked inside..right? :shock:
Ps--i use only Lan cable for the web connection,because i gave the Realtek RTL8191SU wifi module (from hardkernel)to a friends who is in hospital until he come back home
EDIT based on this (http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1198)seems like if used win32 app on windows,works also on emmc...but i haven't windows,only various ditros of linux in all my home's pcs,and with wine that don't work (or at least me)
Thank you!
1. Android will be laggy unless you have a really fast MicroSD Card (> 10MB/s). If you already have a Class 10+ card, then force-close is also a sign that Gapps is running some unnecessary services in the background, and that Gapps may need to be reinstalled (see #2). Just re-push Google Apps into /system using adb, there is a backup in /mnt/sdcard/Bootstrap/.
2. I have noticed that the Play store behaves strangely when the Wireless adapter isn't present, so I had to plug in the adapter in order to install apps.
3. Try removing and re-adding your Google account from the Settings app, that has worked for me in the past.
Last edited by robroy on Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 21, 2013 6:51 am

ccwbill wrote:new to this just got it but I use win32diskimage (admin) and can't seem to write this image.

Any help would be great.

I can image the Hardkernal ones...using sd.

Thanks,

Bill
This image isn't meant for an eMMC module (yet).

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=877

weiliu620

Unread post by weiliu620 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:37 pm

robroyhall wrote:
weiliu620 wrote:I've read somewhere I can get the log of the booting by the debugging process (connect the board to PC via a usb cable), but I don't have this set up. Can the 1080 resolution be a cause?
You can reset to 720p resolution a couple ways:
1. Remove the files "boot.scr" and "boot.ini" from the root of the FAT32 partition.
2. Or, reformat the FAT32 partition after backing it up.

You can still peek at the kernel logs without the UART from another host system using a MicroSD -> USB adapter. In Ubuntu, the kernel log is stored at /var/log/kern.log but I'm not sure about the location of Android's log.
Thanks for the information. I did remove both files in method 1 above but that didn't help. I'll try to install ICS and see if that works.

weiliu620

Unread post by weiliu620 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm

deggaa wrote:
weiliu620 wrote:When I powered on my U2, I got a black screen. My monitor (a TV) shows something is connected but no signal. I've seen people have same issue on the ICS also, but I haven't try the ICS image yet. The unzip img file has size '5242880000', and the unzipping and 'dd' seems no errors.

You haven't by any chance burned the image to your emmc? Because Pocket Rocket and Couch Potato are meant for an sd card. Burning to the emmc will cause this exact error ("something is connected but no signal")
No I 'dd' it to my sd card. It seems only I have got this issue. I didn't see other report the similar symptom. Thanks anyway.

virusalert

Unread post by virusalert » Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi, I installed it on my 16gb microsd class 10. All it is OK, but when I try to read large .mkv files with Dice player it is too laggy and sound remain in PCM.
Until now I used Archos Video Player Free and it works great also on large .mkv files (15gb :roll: ).
I checked the custom plugin and HW Player but nothing to do.

sert00

Unread post by sert00 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:31 pm

robroyhall wrote:
sert00 wrote:Let's see if someone else know how to do...i thnk Odroid or Mdjr would know why the same method dowsn't work on Emmc. :D
Thank you!
1. Android will be laggy unless you have a really fast MicroSD Card (> 10MB/s). If you already have a Class 10+ card, then force-close is also a sign that Gapps is running some unnecessary services in the background, and that Gapps may need to be reinstalled (see #2). Just re-push Google Apps into /system using adb, there is a backup in /mnt/sdcard/Bootstrap/.
2. I have noticed that the Play store behaves strangely when the Wireless adapter isn't present, so I had to plug in the adapter in order to install apps.
3. Try removing and re-adding your Google account from the Settings app, that has worked for me in the past.
Thanks for the reply Rob!
let's go for grade:
1.like i already sad,i can live with that..i have a class 10 sdcard,but you know it's not truly 10mb\sec,and this could be the cause....already retried pushing them but no luck.first i push them via adb....no luck,then tried sideloading a same package in recovery from my linux host.same thing!
2.it's very usefull and curious what you sad....i'll retry today afternoon when my wifi module will come back to me....
3. didn't tried this yet,but yesterday evening i wanted to try flashing the zip from hardkernel 1.6 version from recovery,after loading all magically my apps loads well from play store...but unfortunately all is so slow to downloading...could be the fact mentioned in point 2!but i don't know yet why with yours image behave so...now all works but i lost all the apps and optimization you did,because you know,after a complete wipe fom recovery yours apps are lost...
In this moment it's arrived at my home my new bluetooth module with proper settings(Bluetooth v2.1+EDR compliant : Enhanced Data Rata (EDR) compliant for both 2Mbps and 3Mbps modulation modes) and all is good now,finally i can pair my ps3 joystick sixaxis!
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:25 am

virusalert wrote:Hi, I installed it on my 16gb microsd class 10. All it is OK, but when I try to read large .mkv files with Dice player it is too laggy and sound remain in PCM.
Until now I used Archos Video Player Free and it works great also on large .mkv files (15gb :roll: ).
How does XBMC play your file?

If it only plays well in Archos, I will include Archos in the next release if it can play some files that DicePlayer can't. Do you get sound and smooth video in Archos on other files too?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 am

sert00 wrote:[
3. didn't tried this yet,but yesterday evening i wanted to try flashing the zip from hardkernel 1.6 version from recovery,after loading all magically my apps loads well from play store...but unfortunately all is so slow to downloading...could be the fact mentioned in point 2!but i don't know yet why with yours image behave so...now all works but i lost all the apps and optimization you did,because you know,after a complete wipe fom recovery yours apps are lost...
In this moment it's arrived at my home my new bluetooth module with proper settings(Bluetooth v2.1+EDR compliant : Enhanced Data Rata (EDR) compliant for both 2Mbps and 3Mbps modulation modes) and all is good now,finally i can pair my ps3 joystick sixaxis!
Great! Getting joysticks to work in Android is tricky.

You're in luck.. the Epic Loot Software Bundle is meant to upgrade your pre-existing Android image into Pocket Rocket. It contains the enhancements and improvements that you lost when you reflashed, including XBMC 12 and 1080p resolution: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1323.

ccwbill

Unread post by ccwbill » Wed May 22, 2013 6:00 am

Problem writing image will try and explain:

Odroid U2

Micro sd HC 16 gb (I do have the emmc but could not get the adapter unit to write)

Windows 7 PC using Win32diskimager will write the official hardkernal 4.1 android (I have done this many times) to the sd card

When I write this (jelly bean 4.1.2 pocket rocket) image the micro sd is unreadable after write and windows asks it to be formatted - but again if I write the official hardkernal image it writes fine (it is 3gig+ vs this one that is 600mb+)

I am using the Win32diskimager writer edited by hardkernal (I even tried the newest one off the web)

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I have downloaded sd format and populated 0s prior to format as a test but still no luck

very new to android.
I also copied over the old 98Netflix with the one zipped in this area to the system/etc/init.d/ folder but still get black screen (it did overwrite I checked).

any ideas?

Thanks

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 am

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I have downloaded sd format and populated 0s prior to format as a test but still no luck
Two things to check:

sert00

Unread post by sert00 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am

robroyhall wrote:
sert00 wrote:[
Great! Getting joysticks to work in Android is tricky.

You're in luck.. the Epic Loot Software Bundle is meant to upgrade your pre-existing Android image into Pocket Rocket. It contains the enhancements and improvements that you lost when you reflashed, including XBMC 12 and 1080p resolution: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1323.
Ah..are you saying that all you did\tweaaked\inserted is inside the Epic Loot...?no less,no more?then i can try using it next time,now i'm facing an irritating problem trying to allocate some gb to the fat32 partition after the dd'ing but without luck.anyway i wrote it in details in another 3ad more indicated. :!:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 8629#p8629
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"

rplaird

Unread post by rplaird » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 am

Awesome effort! XBMC almost there ... I still get a small stutter during movement with x264 720p tv shows. Much better on mx player, no dice on dice .

Any recommendations or how-to on sharing a usb external hd to the home network? Tried one called samba file sharing https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... amba&hl=en

but it comes up in portrait mode and my Panasonic plasma goes all waving lines so I have no idea if it actually will work :)

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 am

sert00 wrote:Ah..are you saying that all you did\tweaaked\inserted is inside the Epic Loot...?no less,no more?
Yes, that's right.. it's a pretty easy image to rebuild :)

virusalert

Unread post by virusalert » Wed May 22, 2013 6:24 pm

robroyhall wrote:
virusalert wrote:Hi, I installed it on my 16gb microsd class 10. All it is OK, but when I try to read large .mkv files with Dice player it is too laggy and sound remain in PCM.
How does XBMC play your file?

If it only plays well in Archos, I will include Archos in the next release if it can play some files that DicePlayer can't. Do you get sound and smooth video in Archos on other files too?
Xbmc player lags as Dice Player. With Archos Video Player Free + Archos All Codecs all files are ok (also over SMB). Only the sound doesn't play in 5.1, only PCM.
I created a "playercorefactory.xml" for XBMC to play .mkv files with Archos Video Player and youtube videos with "standard xbmc player".
Archos is the best player for large .mkv files on Odroid-u2 IMHO :mrgreen: , and using Lucky patcher you can hide google ads in the free version ;) :roll:

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:09 am

virusalert wrote: Xbmc player lags as Dice Player. With Archos Video Player Free + Archos All Codecs all files are ok (also over SMB). Only the sound doesn't play in 5.1, only PCM.
I created a "playercorefactory.xml" for XBMC to play .mkv files with Archos Video Player and youtube videos with "standard xbmc player".
Archos is the best player for large .mkv files on Odroid-u2 IMHO :mrgreen: , and using Lucky patcher you can hide google ads in the free version ;) :roll:
Good to know! I'll include Archos, MX Player and Lucky in the next Android releases.

Would you mind posting the playercorefactory.xml along with its directory location?

ccwbill

Unread post by ccwbill » Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 am

robroyhall wrote:
Two things to check:

Thanks this was the issue was just imaging the compressed image LOL.

Anyone gotten Netflix to work?

I have tried pasting in the 98netflix and when that did not work I installed 1.8.1 and then 2.01 all with same results black screen.

digidroid

Unread post by digidroid » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 am

The webserver of XBMC won't start. Network is working. Do I have to update XMBC?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 am

digidroid wrote:The webserver of XBMC won't start. Network is working. Do I have to update XMBC?
I don't use XBMC heavily, would you mind creating a new thread with your question?

turboblade

Unread post by turboblade » Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 am

Going well so far. It would be great to have an emmc version

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 am

turboblade wrote:Going well so far. It would be great to have an emmc version
Thank you, and I agree!

You can help me create one:
  • 1. Download the eMMC installer from Hard Kernel for any of the Android images.
    2. Burn the image to an SD card.
    3. Using a USB adapter, inspect the SD card using a host computer.
    4. Look for a way to plug in a new .img file.
    5. Post back to the forums with your findings :)

AeFFe
ODROIDs: oDroid-U2

Unread post by AeFFe » Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Dear All,
my oDroid U2 card is arrived and I am now looking for to understand which is the best setup.
Do you suggest to install "Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 (20130515)" on an eMMc 16gb memory (at the moment I don't have any sd memory card)?
And, if yes, "xbmc-20130219-32e99c7-android-hwaccel-armeabi-v7a.apk" on it?
Thanks
A.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon May 27, 2013 1:27 pm

AeFFe wrote:Dear All,
my oDroid U2 card is arrived and I am now looking for to understand which is the best setup.
Do you suggest to install "Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 (20130515)" on an eMMc 16gb memory (at the moment I don't have any sd memory card)?
Thanks
A.
I have not yet released the eMMC version of Pocket Rocket, so without an SD card you won't be able to use it.

In the meantime, you can install the official HardKernel eMMC installer image, and upgrade it with my Epic Loot bundle, which includes Gapps and the 20130219 version of ARM XBMC 12: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1323

AeFFe

Unread post by AeFFe » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm

robroyhall wrote:
AeFFe wrote:Dear All,
Thanks
A.
I have not yet released the eMMC version of Pocket Rocket, so without an SD card you won't be able to use it.

In the meantime, you can install the official HardKernel eMMC installer image, and upgrade it with my Epic Loot bundle, which includes Gapps and the 20130219 version of ARM XBMC 12: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1323
Robroyhall, which is the difference between the two versions? Difference is just in the installed packages?
Angelo

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon May 27, 2013 9:44 pm

spotrlederer wrote:netflix can be fixed with a script that is available in the 4.1.2 sources from hardkernel as well as from the cyanogenmod odroidu2 builds available. the script changes a setting in the netflix mediaclient xml file that controls what version of JPlayer netflix uses for playing back video. the newest version 10 doesnt' work on 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 but the script (which goes into the /system/etc/init.d) changes this setting to use player version 6 which does work. give it a try..file attached, just unzip and place script in /system/etc/init.d.
I dont think this works, I have tried several times. @spotlederer, can you verify this?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Robroyhall, which is the difference between the two versions? Difference is just in the installed packages?
Netflix and several other video-based programs dont work on 4.1.2, so the 4.0.3.1 version has Netflix and OpenCV.

Otherwise they are identical builds, both forked from the latest HK image for each version.

AeFFe

Unread post by AeFFe » Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm

My eMMC 16gb memory card already contains an Android version (I don't remember which). I suppose it is the official HardKernel eMMC installer image you refer to in your post.
So I have just to upgrade it with your Epic Loot bundle, isn't it?
Angelo

AeFFe

Unread post by AeFFe » Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 pm

And difference with "ICS 4.0.3.1 Couch Potato for ODROID-U2 (20130515)"?
Angelo

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 am

AeFFe wrote:My eMMC 16gb memory card already contains an Android version (I don't remember which). I suppose it is the official HardKernel eMMC installer image you refer to in your post.
Angelo
Yes :)
AeFFe wrote:And difference with "ICS 4.0.3.1 Couch Potato for ODROID-U2 (20130515)"?
Angelo
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... t=20#p9046

renaud67
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2

Unread post by renaud67 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 am

Is touch screen active ?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 28, 2013 1:31 am

renaud67 wrote:Is touch screen active ?
I don't personally use a touch screen, but if it is activated in the stock HK 1.6 kernel, it is activated in this image.

AeFFe

Unread post by AeFFe » Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 am

robroyhall wrote:
AeFFe wrote:My eMMC 16gb memory card already contains an Android version (I don't remember which). I suppose it is the official HardKernel eMMC installer image you refer to in your post.
Angelo
Yes :)
AeFFe wrote:And difference with "ICS 4.0.3.1 Couch Potato for ODROID-U2 (20130515)"?
Angelo
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... t=20#p9046
So, I download "Android Epic Loot Software Bundle (20130515)" (http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/softwar ... 130515.zip);
Flash it in my eMMC memory card (I have a Mac so ... http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1103);

A question ... in this way the official HardKernel eMMC installer image is deleted, not upgraded. Isn't it?

A.

AeFFe

Unread post by AeFFe » Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 am

I understand the difference between:
- Android Epic Loot Software Bundle (20130515) and
- Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket for ODROID-U2 (20130515).

Is "ICS 4.0.3.1 Couch Potato for ODROID-U2 (20130515)" the same of "Android Epic Loot Software Bundle (20130515)"? (you report the same link ... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1321&start=20#p9046)?

Angelo

AeFFe

Unread post by AeFFe » Tue May 28, 2013 2:39 am

Now I understand that:
Pocket Rocket is an Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 image based on the 1.6 kernel with a core suite of applications for a set-top box.
Epic Loot Software Bundle is an upgrade of an existing image to Pocket Rocket ...
Couch Potato is an Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3.1 image with a core suite of applications for a set-top box.

So, flashing Couch Potato on an eMMC is, more or less, the same result of upgrading an existing image with Epic Loot Software Bundle.
So Couch Potato image is, more or less, a Pocket Rocket image.

The difference is that the first is an Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3.1 image based; the latter is an Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 image based.

Sorry for my confusional mental disease.

Angelo

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 am

AeFFe wrote:Now I understand that:
Pocket Rocket is an Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 image based on the 1.6 kernel with a core suite of applications for a set-top box.
Epic Loot Software Bundle is an upgrade of an existing image to Pocket Rocket ...
Couch Potato is an Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3.1 image with a core suite of applications for a set-top box.

So, flashing Couch Potato on an eMMC is, more or less, the same result of upgrading an existing image with Epic Loot Software Bundle.
So Couch Potato image is, more or less, a Pocket Rocket image.

The difference is that the first is an Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3.1 image based; the latter is an Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 image based.

Sorry for my confusional mental disease.

Angelo
Even though English is my first language, you explained it better :D
Last edited by robroy on Wed May 29, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 28, 2013 3:03 am

in this way the official HardKernel eMMC installer image is deleted, not upgraded. Isn't it?

A.
Epic Loot is not meant to be flashed. It is a collection of .apk files and scripts to upgrade your existing image.

Unzip Epic Loot to a usb drive, then boot up your android image and insert the usb drive. Click on all the .apks. Copy the boot.scr and boot.txt files to /mnt/sdcard if you want 1080p resolution. Follow the instructions on the Epic Loot post to add the DicePlayer downmixed 5.1 audio codec.

It also includes gapps which are installed via adb, if your image doesnt yet include Google Play Store.

Epic Loot provides a way to keep your image while still enjoying the pocket rocket package :)
Last edited by robroy on Wed May 29, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Android”