Passive Cooling options

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Passive Cooling options

Post by odroid »

Thank you for the picture of side view and confirmation. ;)

JagDoc
languages_spoken: english, deutsch
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2, ODROID-U2, ODROID-XU, ODROID-U3, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3lite, ODROID-XU4, CloudShell, ODROID-C2, ODROID-HC1, ODROID-MC1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JagDoc »

odroid wrote:Good information... There are two locking pins and seem to be adjustable.

But I'm still having a concern about the electrical short condition by the metal surface (bottom of cooler). it can kill the board. :(
There is gap between cooler and the parts,
or you mount a thermalpad to be on save side.

cu JagDoc

lizardmech
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODRIOD-XU

Post by lizardmech »

My passive cooling attempt. Need to make a proper case + mount and redo thermal paste later on as contact isn't uniform, one core 15-20c cooler than others. I also managed to find heatpipe based northbridge cooler still in stock somewhere, will compare it when it arrives.

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Post by mdrjr »

Holy mother of all passive cooling.

janrinze
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU-E

Post by janrinze »

LOL! what a monster!
Does it really need this? does the CPU get above 30deg.C?

PeterRavnMikkelsen
languages_spoken: English, Swedish, Danish
ODROIDs: U2, C2

Post by PeterRavnMikkelsen »

That's what I call passive aggressive cooling! Awesome job, sir :-)

lizardmech

Post by lizardmech »

Received coolermaster blue ice NB cooler. Also seems to be good for odroid-xu and has added bonus of being able to use stock odroid-xu fan. Coolermaster provide small 12v 0.08A fan, I'm not sure if this one is better than the stock, stock one didn't have voltage or power written on it so I don't know if I can swap to compare noise? It can be used either passive or with fan, passive performance seems similar to that zalman one. This cooler would be very good if I could configure the fan to just run constantly at low speed rather than dynamically switching between passive and high speed under load. I have noticed it's possibly harder to cool PoP type chip design, it will reach at least 60c under load regardless of how good air cooling is.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

The stock fan is 5V/0.3A.
I don't know whether our PWM motor driver can handle 12V fan or not.

Is it working well?

lizardmech

Post by lizardmech »

odroid wrote:The stock fan is 5V/0.3A.
I don't know whether our PWM motor driver can handle 12V fan or not.

Is it working well?
Fitted original 12V fan by connecting it to smart power 5V output rather than odroid fan controller, only spins slowly but works well enough and is completely silent.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

I love this thread.
There are too many monster pictures here. :o :o :o :lol:

Matt
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Post by Matt »

I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a tiny liquid cooling system for the XU. Then I could die happy.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)

kibergus
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2 X2

Post by kibergus »

Matt wrote:I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a tiny liquid cooling system for the XU. Then I could die happy.
Liquid water or liquid nitrogen? Second one can be really tiny.

hokoon
languages_spoken: ไทย
ODROIDs: U2, XU, U3, C-1

Post by hokoon »

must be a 100s of them to worth liquid cooling at room temperature.

(If XU was born 5 years earlier, I'll replace my array of 20 IBM SystemX with 100s of XU. It'll cost me a lot less.)

Matt
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Post by Matt »

The only way that liquid cooling could help the XU, given the memory-on-top pop package would be to run cool water (standard 55F tap water would be cool enough) around the fins of a heatpipe air cooler mounted to both the top of the SoC and the backside of the board. If you can get the temperature of the board low enough, you can pull some of the energy off the bottom of the SoC (which is where the CPU clusters and GPU/multimedia circuits are).

It would be neat to mount one of those CoolerMaster NB coolers to the top and bottom of the SoC/board and encase them in acrylic, then run cooled tap water through the fins. All it would take is some custom acrylic work and maybe some hot glue to seal the acrylic around the heatpipes.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)

janrinze
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU-E

Post by janrinze »

A solution with a Peltier, anyone?

hokoon
languages_spoken: ไทย
ODROIDs: U2, XU, U3, C-1

Post by hokoon »

janrinze wrote:A solution with a Peltier, anyone?
that will draw a lot more power.

Ray_GTI-R
ODROIDs: 2 * X, 4 * U2

Post by Ray_GTI-R »

hokoon wrote:
janrinze wrote:A solution with a Peltier, anyone?
that will draw a lot more power.
A Peltier using 5 volt & 1 amp draws 5 watts power ...that's not a lot of power.
I have an actively-cooled Peltier strapped onto one side of an overclocked ODROID-U2:- condensation :lol:

HTH, Ray_GTI-R

FWIW The problem may be that 1 amp is required for the Peltier alone. More specifically that a 5V PSU must supply 1 amp in adition to any other power demanded.
FWIW2 to all passive Northbridge cooler adopters:- there is usually a big, fast-spinning CPU heatsink fan next door so "passive" isn't really passive - more like a Robin Hood airflow effect.
FWIW3 copper absorbs heat really well but releases it rather poorly. Aluminium absorbs heat rather poorly but releases it very well. Combine ... e.g., heatpipes!
FWIW4 consider the heat generated by other components, importantly the heat on the reverse of the PCB.
FWIW5 google "The Wet Pi" or go here:- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/07 ... pberry_pi/
(I could write a book on all this heatsink stuff ... if I had the time e.g., thin, closely spaced cooling fins DEMAND active cooling irrespective of material used, water cooling is really, really great but consider ... where does the heat go inside a poorly-ventilated, unfiltered case/closed room? The excellent Seksisui#5760 thermal tape, ShinEtsu Microsi paste AKA thermal solder/glue, poor, good & great gap fillers/thermal pads, awful thermal epoxy etc etc. Don't even get me started on Liquid Metal :x )

gripped
ODROIDs: U2 XU U3 XU3

Post by gripped »

JagDoc wrote:It is a Zalman ZM-NBF47 and fit perfect on the XU.
The temps at full load with Boinc 60-66C passiv.

cu JagDoc

I just received one of these. Probably another dumb question but what do I need to to monitor to see if throttling is kicking in at all ?
At what temperature does the throttling kick in ?

netnerdvana
ODROIDs: X2, XU, UART, 720P HD Camera, 64 eMMC x 2, USB 3.0 OTA adapter, Gigabit adapter, IO board, BackupBattery

Post by netnerdvana »

Picture of my XU with Zalman ZM-NB47J installed. Its a bit smaller than the fan shaped ZM-NBF47 and a lot more cubic.

Easy to put the existing cooling fan on the side using Red/Grey two sided 3M exterior tape. Now it kinda reminds me of an engine block with radiator fan in front.

I was paranoid about components shorting out on the bottom so I masked off the underside using masking tape with a cut out for the CPU. An ever so tiny bit of non-conductive Arctic silver spread out thin on the chip and im done! Heat sink even has a spot to mount the backup battery so it doesn't get in the way of the spinning fan blades. 8-)

Performance:
My idle temps went down from 44F to 39F
Max CPU temps using "stress -c 4" went from 76F to 70F.

Best news is that under MY typical system load, CPU 30% (Zoneminder IP camera recorder software with 6 cameras, total of 12 megapixels worth, Record 1FPS) my temps went from 51F to 45F and instead of the fan running on low 25% of the time, the FAN DOES NOT COME ON AT ALL. Im confident the board would survive and perform perfectly even if the PWM CPU fan failed. Im also confident that I could boost CPU usage by increasing frame rate recorded and/or add motion detection and at 50% CPU usage the board will stay nice and cool over the long haul for a nice long life.

Both my XU and X2 totally rock! I am really impressed with:

1) The amount of RAM, 2GB blows away most other Soc boards out there.
2) The cpu, Quad and Octo core at high MHz
3) The IO of the eMMC smokes what you can get with flash chips.

Concerns:
Northbridge heat sinks such as these Zalman are getting harder and harder to find. Discontinued? Can we blame Ivy and Sandy bridge for the trending disapperance of Northbridge heat sinks?
Attachments
xu-zalman.jpg

lizardmech

Post by lizardmech »

They stopped making most of the big north bridge coolers when nvidia stopped making chipsets that were a little warm, ebay seems to be the best place to look for them.

marcwolf
ODROIDs: ODroid-XU, 16gb EMMC, Webcam

Post by marcwolf »

Of course the fan is very handy if you have a portable application where weight is an issue.
Walk quietly through this world.
Leave nothing but smiles and pawprints

schferenc
languages_spoken: english, hungarian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU (order, not delivered yet)

Post by schferenc »

Hi,

I've got a Zalman NB heat sink, now I'm just before the application. The question is, with which app can I control/measure the temperature of the board/CPU other parts (just to double check how effective is the sink)? I have an XU (not with -E) with Android 4.2.2.
Also what kind of TIM film should I use? Any vendor/type proposal? Or does not matters, the only thing is the film/glue should be non-conductive?

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

To see the temperature and CPU load status..
Settings -> Developer Options -> Show CPU usage
To activate the Developer Option menu, go to Settings > About phone and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options.

For the TIM, other people can answer for you hopefully.
But you can try our TIM first..

schferenc

Post by schferenc »

odroid wrote:....
But you can try our TIM first..
Ok, but how can I get that? The actual installed TIM is non-reusable I think.

e=MMC2
ODROIDs: ODROID XU+E [+H2o]

Post by e=MMC2 »

Matt wrote:I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a tiny liquid cooling system for the XU. Then I could die happy.
eh hem :twisted: where is matthew at?
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3978
schferenc wrote: Also what kind of TIM film should I use? Any vendor/type proposal? Or does not matters, the only thing is the film/glue should be non-conductive?
Hi sir. I just dug all over looking into this some weeks ago. The TIM on the odroid is thermal tape and I believe, and ultra thin. 0.3mm? dont quote me on that, but I know I seen odroid or mdrjr post this info somewhere. It actually pulled part of the logo paint or whatever off the exynos chip so be careful. I decided to go with a thermal pad vs tape and in looking around the best I found in multiple comparisons was a brand called Fujipoly. Depending what you need this may not work for you. I tried to use this thermal pad under a few heatsinks stuck to the bottom of the board near the mipi lcd connector and it turned into a fail. The thermal pads are not very adhesive and only work if you mount the cooling device with hardware. The thinnest thermal pads I found by Fujipoly were 0.5mm thin. This seemed ok due to the difference in height of all the tiny components around the chips. Acted as sort of a filler. I think if you used either you would be fine, but DEFINITELY needs to be non conductive. There is some ultra detailed vids on youtube by nerds at Fujipoly explaining W/mK heat transfer. I used Fujipoly Extreme System Builder pads at 11W/mK rating. As you can see the best is not cheap at all. $119 sheet
Fujipoly Ultra Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Full Sheet - 200 x 150 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17467 ... 8c487s1288

The 11W/mK seems to work great as my idle chip cpu core temps are only aprox 5 degrees above my water/block temps. Although I do still regret not buying the Extreme 17W/mK pads. The 6Wm/mK I lost being cheap is bothering me now :cry:
The only other thing is make sure you get it in one shot. Once you commit with these pads its a done deal. It really tears them up and is a mess how they compress apart into the components. If you have extra youre ok and can remove most residue with tweezers and rubbing alcohol. I destroyed the bottom of the board with multiple heat sink attempts and eventually removed all of it and the board still works fine. I needed thermal tape to hold them down but didnt have any. Lesson learned. Here is most of your thermal options, from FrozenCPU anyways.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g8/c487 ... _Tape.html
Top troubleshooting steps
1. reboot
2. use profanity and rapidly click mouse
3. google

schferenc

Post by schferenc »

e=MMC2 wrote:
schferenc wrote: Also what kind of TIM film should I use? Any vendor/type proposal? Or does not matters, the only thing is the film/glue should be non-conductive?
Hi sir. I just dug all over looking into this some weeks ago. The TIM on the odroid is thermal tape and I believe, and ultra thin. 0.3mm? dont quote me on that, but I know I seen odroid or mdrjr post this info somewhere. It actually pulled part of the logo paint or whatever off the exynos chip so be careful. I decided to go with a thermal pad vs tape and in looking around the best I found in multiple comparisons was a brand called Fujipoly. Depending what you need this may not work for you. I tried to use this thermal pad under a few heatsinks stuck to the bottom of the board near the mipi lcd connector and it turned into a fail. The thermal pads are not very adhesive and only work if you mount the cooling device with hardware. The thinnest thermal pads I found by Fujipoly were 0.5mm thin. This seemed ok due to the difference in height of all the tiny components around the chips. Acted as sort of a filler. I think if you used either you would be fine, but DEFINITELY needs to be non conductive. There is some ultra detailed vids on youtube by nerds at Fujipoly explaining W/mK heat transfer. I used Fujipoly Extreme System Builder pads at 11W/mK rating. As you can see the best is not cheap at all. $119 sheet
Fujipoly Ultra Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Full Sheet - 200 x 150 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17467 ... 8c487s1288

The 11W/mK seems to work great as my idle chip cpu core temps are only aprox 5 degrees above my water/block temps. Although I do still regret not buying the Extreme 17W/mK pads. The 6Wm/mK I lost being cheap is bothering me now :cry:
The only other thing is make sure you get it in one shot. Once you commit with these pads its a done deal. It really tears them up and is a mess how they compress apart into the components. If you have extra youre ok and can remove most residue with tweezers and rubbing alcohol. I destroyed the bottom of the board with multiple heat sink attempts and eventually removed all of it and the board still works fine. I needed thermal tape to hold them down but didnt have any. Lesson learned. Here is most of your thermal options, from FrozenCPU anyways.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g8/c487 ... _Tape.html
Hi,

and what about the CPU heat sink grease like Noctua NT-H1? http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... =13&lng=en
It is non-conductive, so I suppose it would be fine. Opinions?

e=MMC2

Post by e=MMC2 »

schferenc wrote: and what about the CPU heat sink grease like Noctua NT-H1? http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... =13&lng=en
It is non-conductive, so I suppose it would be fine. Opinions?
Yes sir. Only issue with the grease is it will make a huge mess and if you ever want to put the stock sink back on good luck. My only concern with grease on this is more so the fact the block sits on so many different height components. The issue I see is the tape on allows the block to touch the highest components, and misses the rest completely. The issue with the grease, aside from mess, is that its more likely that grease will mush all around components and the block eventually short out all of the tallest components. What we are up against is that grease and most cooling solutions are being placed on a single chip, flat. Not across 49875 little components and multiple chips. So its a tough battle to figure out whats best. My block doesnt sit flush on the board/chips. I think using this thermal pad helped fill gaps the block doesnt touch, while maintaining a thin layer above main chip. I dont have the money or resources to test various solutions. Im almost thinking grease with a very thin layer of pad would be good. I may try that next time.
In regards to grease vs tape/pads. Thats another 5hrs of digging around. Seems now high end thermal pads can offer near the results of paste. Havnt solidly seen enough to tell you grease is the best. In our application with the odroid, like I said I think the grease is huge mess and more likely to short out your board. Id use the ultra thin pad as means to protect from the highest components pushing thru the grease if you decide to go with that. Then the problem with that is the grease is its only as good the thermal tape/pad you just covered it all up with :? arghghghghh!!
1. reboot
3. google

schferenc

Post by schferenc »

Hi,
Thanks for your detailed answer. To be honest, I have never seen the board w/o the heat sink, so I dont know what is covered by the sink and what dont.
It is possible to remove the sink and install again with the original TIM? I just want to double check a new sink would fit or not?

e=MMC2

Post by e=MMC2 »

schferenc wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your detailed answer. To be honest, I have never seen the board w/o the heat sink, so I dont know what is covered by the sink and what dont.
It is possible to remove the sink and install again with the original TIM? I just want to double check a new sink would fit or not?
Im stuck at school until later. I can post some pics of the board with no heat sink and how I put the thermal pad on and such. If you pull the stock fan/sink to test a new one, just make sure you dont set it down. The thermal tape is ultra sticky and will magnet to hair and dust. It seems to be sticky enough you could easily reapply it. Also, not to insult your intelligence, but make sure the board isnt just off, but unplugged when you set the new one on it to test. Or maybe put like a few strips of electric tape on the base of whatever youre setting on all of the chips and such. Just to keep from direct contact with metal.
As far as reusing TIM on factory sink. Its maybe reusable once or twice if you set it upside down covered in a box or something that wont touch the tape. Even if you lose some adhesion, its held down by those little plastic spring clips. If youre asking if you can use it on a new sink, no way. Its so thin and sticky itd be impossible to remove in tact. You can see under the sink if you look at the thread for making a power switch in the hardware thread. I think in there the board shown is nude. I seen it somewhere. Ill post some later if you need though.
1. reboot
3. google

Vort

Post by Vort »

I made some experiments on U3 just to compare cooling options - http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 469#p28697

kibergus

Post by kibergus »

Today I've bought ZM-NBF47 and I've found, that actually it does not fit absolutely perfectly. CPU is located at the corner of it's contact area, so you should install it precisely to cover all cpu. I even had to modify it a bit with dremel to shift CPU to the center as close as possible.
Attachments
xu3.JPG

fbeer
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, XU, XU4

Post by fbeer »

Just recently I stumbled over the Fischer SK72-75 heatsink, which is 97x75 mm, a very nice fit for the ODROID XU. Finally, it ended like this:
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (88.3 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
Aside from the heatsinks, a 3mm thermal pad has been used to transfer heat from under the processor to the heatsink facing the bottom of the board. An aluminum cube (16mm cut from a 15x15 aluminum bar) and some thermal grease transfers the heat from the top of the processor to the other heatsink. M3 Polyamid screws, washers and nuts hold everything together and also provide the necessary spacing, with 16mm metal threaded distance sleeves.

I did some stress testing with native make -j5 linux kernel compiles, temperature stayed below 68°C for the whole compile. During normal use (web browsing, media play), temperature drops to 37°C.

Disclaimers: if you attempt to do a similar assembly, you will void your warranty, and you may even break your ODROID. The ODROID-XU board is delicate, ensure to not bend or otherwise stress the board, and avoid crunching the SoC.

kibergus

Post by kibergus »

My results with ZM-NBF47 are not quite good. It can't drain all the heat that cpu can produce without fan. With 4 instances of cpuburn I CPU core temperature reached 97 degrees and I switched it off. With fan it settles on 67 degrees. So result is not totally silent.

Bohemund

How to start fan manually and how to monitor temp

Post by Bohemund »

Hello,

iam using Ubuntu and would like to monitor the temperature. So far i only found the option with cat /sys/devices/exynos5-tmu..... . Another problem is, that iam not sure whether the fan would speed up after i replaced the stock cooler. I would like to start the fan manualy and have the fan spin permanently at low speed ?

Greetings,
Bernd

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

IMG_0690.png
Finally got the time to change mine.
This is standard south bridge cooler with 0.7cm cut from one side.
Wouldn't call it very efficient on high loads, BUT!
First of all it keeps temp 40-45 degrees while idle in XBMC and under 55 degrees (60 max in highest HD) while playing video.
And second of all I found that two stickers which were between the standard cooler and the CPU where glued overlapped under the cooler and doesn't cover the whole cpu because of the gap. So even with the cooler previously I had spikes to 70 degrees while playing video and the fan turning on and off all the time.
So totally worth it.

RunBerserk
languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: u3

Post by RunBerserk »

there exist something like an flat heatpipe
http://www.quick-ohm.de/heatdiffuser/heatdiffuser.html

good thermally conductive paste->heatdiffuser->good thermally conductive paste(or soldering^^)->passive cooler

outlaw
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Post by outlaw »

fbeer wrote:Just recently I stumbled over the Fischer SK72-75 heatsink, which is 97x75 mm, a very nice fit for the ODROID XU. Finally, it ended like this:
Front.jpg
Back.jpg
Aside from the heatsinks, a 3mm thermal pad has been used to transfer heat from under the processor to the heatsink facing the bottom of the board. An aluminum cube (16mm cut from a 15x15 aluminum bar) and some thermal grease transfers the heat from the top of the processor to the other heatsink. M3 Polyamid screws, washers and nuts hold everything together and also provide the necessary spacing, with 16mm metal threaded distance sleeves.
"copied" your idea and it works like a charm !
Thx for posting this

main.spec
ODROIDs: XU

Post by main.spec »

1.jpg
0.jpg
The attachment 2.jpg is no longer available
This is my handmade alluminium heatsink. Governor: performance, 1.6Ghz idle temp - 45C, during high load - 75C. Works stable.

PS. rom - CM 12 for Odroid-XU by Voodik.
Attachments
2.jpg

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Post by phaseshifter »

well i am going to to liquid cool my xu3-lite i have a cooler here any suggestions as to what Linux platform program i should utilize here...pls...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

Un4Seen
languages_spoken: english, hungarian, romanian

Post by Un4Seen »

Anybody knows where to buy Zalman ZM-NBF47 heatsinks in Europe? Or anything similar that fits the ODROID XU4...

Return to “General Chat”