Buying an eMMC module for a discontinued Odroid-XU (Lite)

thehip
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: XU (Lite)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Buying an eMMC module for a discontinued Odroid-XU (Lite)

Unread post by thehip » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:40 pm

Hello,

I'm still using my Odroid-XU Lite (the initial revision, not v2 or more) daily and it works very well. However, recently the microSD card I'm using started to show signs of weakness (filesystem errors), which is rather normal since the number of writes is limited for each sector, and log files put them under high load.

I hope to have better performance and more reliability with an eMMC module. But since the product has been discontinued, I can't find any eMMC module for the initial -XU in the online shop. That said, it seems that the connectors of eMMC modules are the same, so I'm wondering if the only difference between the -XU modules and the "new" ones is the preloaded content? That's not a real problem for me, since I flash Arch Linux anyway.

According to what I read on the Odroid-XU Tech sheet, the -XU bootloader supports eMMC v4.5 and v5.0, and its eMMC PCB was v0.3 (blue). The currently sold Orange module (PCB v0.4) uses an eMMC v5.1 chipset according to the wiki.

If I buy an orange module and replace the content with an -XU (Lite) compatible OS (for example following these instructions), will it work? Also, can I expect the eMMC module to last longer than a microSD card (in terms of reads/writes)?

Many thanks in advance for your help, detailed instructions about how to replace the content if needed will be much appreciated!

thehip

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Buying an eMMC module for a discontinued Odroid-XU (Lite)

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:16 am

A red emmc might work without issues, but I can't confirm it. The orange emmc needed some adjustments in xu4's kernel to work, so I expect XU might need it too.
Regarding endurance - the emmc have wear leveling and trim support, so they should last longer than sd and with better performance.
If you're willing to sacrifice performance, any emmc should work via the sd adapter (though they don't boot on HC1/2 with this trick)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 am

Orange eMMC doesn't work with the old XU Exynos-5410 CPU since u-boot has no proper code for eMMC 5.x compatibility.

Consider using a MLC-type SD card.

thehip
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: XU (Lite)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by thehip » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you for your precisions. In short, I need a red or blue eMMC module... By any chance, do you still have some in stock, or know if I can buy one from one one of your resellers? That would be great!

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:38 pm

We don't have any old eMMC. I don't think any distributor still has old one since the new Orange eMMC was introduced almost two years ago. Sorry about that.

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”