Apokalypz
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: • Odroid -XU
• Odroid-C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Arch Linux OdroidXU mainline kernel.

Post by Apokalypz »

So, Arch Linux ARM released a new kernel package for the OdroidXU. It is 'mainline' and it's version is 3.13. I was interested when I saw it, so I installed it. I expected problems, and problems are what I got. Though I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting.

After installing and rebooting, it rebooted to a solid green LED which suggests that it wouldn't load the kernel. So, I had to restore my previous backup and wonder what I'm doing wrong. I have Arch installed on a 8GB eMMC. The only thing I can think of is maybe the new kernel is expecting a different (newer?) bootloader version than is on the chip? I don't know enough about uboot to troubleshoot this part of the boot process though.

Any ideas?

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Arch Linux OdroidXU mainline kernel.

Post by mdrjr »

solid red = not even the bootloader is loaded.
So, it isn't a kernel issue here..
Something broke the bootloader here.

If it was a kernel issue you would have at least green led up indicating that the bootloader was up but something wrong with kernel

Now that you have solid green only with the uart kit we could check what the bootloader is telling you.

Apokalypz
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: • Odroid -XU
• Odroid-C1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Apokalypz »

Yea. I was afraid I'd need one of those. If I remember correctly, the UART voltage on the XU is less than 3.33V right? So making one is probably out of the question.

Well, I don't really need 3.13 right now, I guess. I'll probably just wait until more ppl adopt it and it becomes more stable then. I use it as my main media server/data backup, and the wife will kill me if I keep messing it up. lol.

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Post by mdrjr »

Yes. Exynos uses 1.8v logic :( i think that you can find ftdi chips with 1.8v.
Theres a how to on the forums about it.

Enviado de meu SM-P601 usando Tapatalk

makrisj
languages_spoken: English, Greek
ODROIDs: Odroid XU+E, Odroid C1

Post by makrisj »

A simple voltage translator from 5V max232, max3232 (3.3V) or even ftdi 3.3V needs 2 simple transistors and 2-3 resistors to match 1.8v to any output that is not NRZ.
Circuits for this are all over the internet. example here: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... -3-3v-uart

That's how I talk to the XU locally via UART.

The data rate is so slow (115kbps) and the schematic so simple one could even build one on a breadboard, a perfboard, even deadbug.
*any* NPN small signal transistor would do. BC237 or BC547 would do. mind the pinouts.

Nuems
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1, n2

Post by Nuems »

I guess this thread is most suitable:
When I clumsily managed to physically destroy my XU's µSD-card, I had to start over. Using the Arch image, I now have an XU running a mainline kernel (5.16.3-1-ARCH) with working USB3. Once again thanks for doggisbag's efforts from a while ago!
These users thanked the author Nuems for the post (total 2):
odroid (Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:56 am) • doggisbag (Mon May 02, 2022 10:29 pm)

Return to “Other OS”