Running Debian Buster on XU with Arch mainline kernel

Nuems
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1, n2

Running Debian Buster on XU with Arch mainline kernel

Post by Nuems »

DISCLAIMER: NO DOWNLOADS HERE

The Arch based Home Assistant efforts by @doggisbag made me reconsider my use of my Odroid XU which has been running Debian Jessie until now. However, I didn't like the idea of getting used to yet another distro and its tools, so I took the Arch linux image, created a third partition on the µSD card and installed Debian into this third partition via debootstrap. Regarding the kernel, I took a quick&dirty shortcut: I copied everything under /lib/modules from the Arch partition to the respective directory in the Debian partition. For some reason, all the modules were gzipped, so I unzipped them. Additionally, I had to issue "depmod -a" in the running Debian system, before any modules loaded. A last bit of guesswork concerned uInitrd and arguments in boot.ini, but some (hopefully) intelligent guesswork after looking at XU and XU4 boot.inis provided me with load addresses for kernel, initrd and device tree. Finally, I was rewarded with a running Debian 10 system on my XU! 8-)
Obviously, I haven't found a magical way to activate GPU, HDMI or USB3. But even without these features, an XU appears to be better suited as a headless server than an RPi3 - it has twice the RAM to begin with. And that's exactly what my XU will do: run FHEM, pihole and wireguard as a headless server.
If anyone really needs it, I could describe the procedure in more detail. What I need is someone who gives some love to the USB3 on the XU ;)
These users thanked the author Nuems for the post:
doggisbag (Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:03 pm)

doggisbag
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid-XU

Re: Running Debian Buster on XU with Arch mainline kernel

Post by doggisbag »

Hi Nuems! Do you have any updates about USB3 or HDMI?

BTW, i've found a guy that posted about properly after upgrade to latest Linux Kernel (5.6.2) with Debian Buster running on top of it.

FYI, i've posted on ARCH forums asking about USB3 support

doggisbag

Post by doggisbag »

I've managed to now show both OTG and type A USB3 on ARCH. Details are in the above post! Still needs more debugging...

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Post by igorpec »

Perhaps rather add the board to the Armbain build system and owners of XU are good with a clean Debian / Ubuntu for this board for ever. With the same mainline kernel. https://github.com/armbian/build

Help to get board into the system by studing examples and asking https://forum.armbian.com/forum/12-armb ... framework/

I don't have this board ... otherwise it might already be there.
ARMBIAN
Linux for ARM development boards
What is Armbian?

Nuems
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: xu, c1, n2

Post by Nuems »

doggisbag wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:38 am
Hi Nuems! Do you have any updates about USB3 or HDMI?

BTW, i've found a guy that posted about properly after upgrade to latest Linux Kernel (5.6.2) with Debian Buster running on top of it.

FYI, i've posted on ARCH forums asking about USB3 support
Sorry, I don't have any news but that's simply because I haven't had time to do any tinkering recently. Additionally, I'm not much of a kernel hacker. :(

doggisbag

Post by doggisbag »

Hi Nuems. Thanks to the person involved in maintaing the exynos drivers, now the USB 3.0 is working. You should check my post on ARCH forum!

Return to “Other OS”