Media Center ODROID-XU XBMC 12.2(16/11/13 MFC decoding!)

hgblob
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Media Center ODROID-XU XBMC 12.2(16/11/13 MFC decoding!)

Post by hgblob »

Hi All,

I wanted to share with you my first try at a XBMC for Odroid-XU http://mrs.ro/dl/odroid/odroid-xu-vsync.img.xz. XBMC is running fully accelerated at 60fps, smooth animations, seems quite better than the -X/-U editions.
However please note that at this time this is just a PoC and there might be many many bugs.

What is working:
* XBMC & audio(both 720p and 1080p work on my TV but default boot.ini is set to 720p for max compatibility)
* 720p movie decoding is tested and works
* XBMC autostarts at boot(but respawn is disabled!)

Hacks:
* XBMC is running as root because some strange issues

Eveything is based on a Linaro Developer ARMHF Ubuntu Image 13.9

Users:
user: root pwd: odroid
user: odroid pwd: odroid

SSH and Network manager installed but I recommend keeping an eye on the console.

Any problems? Post away. My long term plan is to replace my permanent Odroid-X Media Center with the XU.
Blob

Edit Edit: All links are now working, mega is just for mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!0wd0zaJa!FQ04BRPq1 ... ORkN_BZEH0
Edit3: Just for reference here is the canonical patch for gstreamer plugins for libhybris to use accelerated decoding https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1224665
EDIT 29/10/2013: I have a new image with improve stability on HDMI side and user XBMC http://mrs.ro/dl/odroid/xbmc-odroidxuv2.img.xz . Almost same image as above but XBMC runs as odroid user, hacked kernel to support HDMI plug notifications, removed pesky udev script that cased flite to OOPS. All in all it rivals the Odroid-X MediaCenter.

EDIT 02/11/2013: After wrestling with libhybris and XBMC I have now a new image at http://mrs.ro/dl/odroid/odroidxu-hw.img.xz This image includes support for H/W decoding with libhybris. Currently 1080p works great, no frames dropped, only A7 cluster running. In the image everything should work out of the box.
Currently the implementation requires the Android media server running.

EDIT 16/11/2013: I have changed the link to the latest image (http://mrs.ro/dl/odroid/odroid-xu-vsync.img.xz) which works with the native MFC decoder(thanks Ovversun) and fixes the flicker in upper right side.
Last edited by hgblob on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Media Center ODROID-XU XBMC 12.2

Post by mdrjr »

Awesome!!!!
Making it sticky!

e=MMC2
ODROIDs: ODROID XU+E [+H2o]

Post by e=MMC2 »

Sweet sauce. I'll gladly GuineaPig this now. Quick question on this. I had posted in another thread asking details about running Android/Linux on the emmc and sd cards. It was explained that running the Linux builds on the sd cards would be better as the Android os really needs a faster access rate to not have intermittent errors. So I've left the Android os on my emmc due to interest in XBMC running smooth. So my question is how well will this run on my class10 or UHS1 sd card? Or is this likely going to have some of the same issues Android os does if not on the emmc module? In the long run I'd like to have Linux running on my emmc and xbmc on UHS1 card. Basically long question short, do you think this XBMC build will run more like Linux on an SD card and not have hang-ups related to the access rate of it? Thanks for your time on this.
Top troubleshooting steps
1. reboot
2. use profanity and rapidly click mouse
3. google

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Post by memeka »

decoding is using ffmpeg?

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

e=MMC2 wrote:Sweet sauce. I'll gladly GuineaPig this now. Quick question on this. I had posted in another thread asking details about running Android/Linux on the emmc and sd cards. It was explained that running the Linux builds on the sd cards would be better as the Android os really needs a faster access rate to not have intermittent errors. So I've left the Android os on my emmc due to interest in XBMC running smooth. So my question is how well will this run on my class10 or UHS1 sd card? Or is this likely going to have some of the same issues Android os does if not on the emmc module? In the long run I'd like to have Linux running on my emmc and xbmc on UHS1 card. Basically long question short, do you think this XBMC build will run more like Linux on an SD card and not have hang-ups related to the access rate of it? Thanks for your time on this.
Hmmm, I don't think I tested that much yet to make a definite answer on this but I think Class 10 is enough because most logging is disabled so you should not be that I/O bound. For testing a used a class 4 and it's a bit slow to startup but otherwise OK.
Of course it can be optimized further by moving logs to tmpfs.

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

memeka wrote:decoding is using ffmpeg?
Yup, canonical libmedia is on my todo list when this gets stable enough. Then XBMC should also have access to the same H/W codecs Android has.

mdrjr
Site Admin

Post by mdrjr »

I've tested:

720p and looks very good.. no shutters what so ever.

1080p h264 has some small frame drops but almost un-noticable :)

Very nice work.

Matt
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Post by Matt »

This just goes to show how much more powerful the quad-A15 CPU cluster in the Exynos 5410 is when compared to the Exynos 4412. It can actually do 1080p decode at a reasonably decent framerate in software on the CPU, while the 4412 needs the hardware acceleration to be able to decode HD video (and 1080p video decode with hardware acceleration on the 4412 still isn't perfect, is it?).
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)

mdrjr
Site Admin

Post by mdrjr »

Matt wrote:This just goes to show how much more powerful the quad-A15 CPU cluster in the Exynos 5410 is when compared to the Exynos 4412. It can actually do 1080p decode at a reasonably decent framerate in software on the CPU, while the 4412 needs the hardware acceleration to be able to decode HD video (and 1080p video decode with hardware acceleration on the 4412 still isn't perfect, is it?).
That's correct... the processing power of the A15's a brutal..

suriyan
ODROIDs: odroid-u2/xu-e/u3/x2/xu3/c1

Post by suriyan »

I tried this image. It mounts / as readonly and I get no xbmc.
Any reason why /etc/resolv.conf has a hardcoded nameserver of 192.*?
I had to change mine and reboot twice,
once for it to get the correct system time
second time for it to function.
Other than the above, pretty good!

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

suriyan wrote:I tried this image. It mounts / as readonly and I get no xbmc.
Any reason why /etc/resolv.conf has a hardcoded nameserver of 192.*?
I had to change mine and reboot twice,
once for it to get the correct system time
second time for it to function.
Other than the above, pretty good!
Sorry, I noticed that too. I didn't put that much work in the details yet, I can still find some problems with XBMC stability and I'm trying to focus there. BTW, all the deb packages with XBMC are there in /root if you need to make your own image.

Blob

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

VSYNC at last! Finally! Tremendous relief.

Is there any repository with XBMC changes required to work with hybris used in this distro? And compilation flags? I would like to try to streamline mfcv6 usage into this app.

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

OverSun wrote:VSYNC at last! Finally! Tremendous relief.

Is there any repository with XBMC changes required to work with hybris used in this distro? And compilation flags? I would like to try to streamline mfcv6 usage into this app.
My hybris code is here: https://github.com/vamanea/xbmc/tree/Frodo-hybris
Basically you need to configure it with --with-platform=hybris and EGL without any X11 support. Currently there is a small issue with the Android binaries I just managed to fix last night. I'll try to release the fixed image ASAP.
I am planning to enable the HW decoding in XBMC via hybris as well. The changes should be very small so hopefull it's a simple task and quite helpfull in future for others.

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

Fixed Image? Wouldn't like to reflash emmc again since I kinda put all configs and everything into the emmc already.
Could you tell in general what fixes should be done to current image as well as new image?

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

OverSun wrote:Fixed Image? Wouldn't like to reflash emmc again since I kinda put all configs and everything into the emmc already.
Could you tell in general what fixes should be done to current image as well as new image?
The hwcomposer in the image is the one that is supposed to be used for a phone, LCD on all time and HDMI hotplug. However this seems to interact badly with the hybris version. But the Android BSP also has a tvonly composer that works great. Most problems I've seen have to do with HDMI detection, for example if I switch my tv off & on sometimes I don't get image anymore because there is no ON signal sent to the composer(it usually waits for a uevent).

You can just change the /system folder, no need to reflash everything.

Blob

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

OverSun wrote:Fixed Image? Wouldn't like to reflash emmc again since I kinda put all configs and everything into the emmc already.
I uploaded the new hwcomposer and full system folder here http://mrs.ro/dl/odroid/system-odroidxu.v2.tar.bz2 This one should be much more stable than previous, HDMI should work flawlessly. It just needs to replace the old version of the /system folder.

Blob

OverSun

Re: Media Center ODROID-XU XBMC 12.2(29/10/13 Stability UPDA

Post by OverSun »

I do streamlined into this XBMC MFCv6 support, but my hope was not justified. MFCv6 cannot produce untiled picture even it accepts NV12M when setting out output. The frame produced is still tiled picture.
So we still do need something like FIMC, which is GScaler in Exynos5. And it will take time to understand how it works.

I would greatly appreciate if someone has examples of GScaler usage in C/C++ or a documentation how it should be used...

mdrjr
Site Admin

Post by mdrjr »

OverSun,

HWComposer uses the GScaler :)

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

Dammit, it is so complex I couldn't even find what devices are initialized. =D

jb_bak

Post by jb_bak »

Hi,

This thread convinced me to buy an XU. I love the idea of running XBMC from a micro computer. So I DL'd the image posted here and DD'd it to a zero filled 32GB micro SD card. When it came in the mail yesterday, I set the switches to boot from SD, plugged everthing up, and it booted (was able to SSH into it) but absoutely no HDMI signal to the TV. I am using an adapter to convert from micro HDMI to the standard plug for the TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for the newbie question, do I need to do anything special to get the video output on my tv?

mdrjr
Site Admin

Post by mdrjr »

can you test with the stock Android images or Linux images?

jb_bak

Post by jb_bak »

Are you sure this is in 720P? My old TV only supports 720P. From what I see in the boot.ini file it appears to be 1080.

memeka

Post by memeka »

can you please add a tutorial with all the steps to add libhybris + xbmc to a new distribution?
I would love to keep my debian and set up hybris + xbmc on top of it...

pilsbier
languages_spoken: german,english
ODROIDs: Odroid-x, x2, xu

Post by pilsbier »

Hi together,
i have no hdmi output ;-(

Here the log
18.125479] s5p-hdmi exynos5-hdmi: plugged
[ 19.989517] s5p-hdmi exynos5-hdmi: unplugged
[ 20.103552] s5p-hdmi exynos5-hdmi: plugged
all the time

But i have other version , where HDMI works.

Any idea?

/jörg

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

Hi Guys,

I found at least one bug where HDMI does not activate if the HDMI cable is not plugged the device will not output at all. You can try plugging in the HDMI cable just after you plugged the power cable.

Blob

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

memeka wrote:can you please add a tutorial with all the steps to add libhybris + xbmc to a new distribution?
I would love to keep my debian and set up hybris + xbmc on top of it...
Sure, bear with me. I just finished a intense week to get video H/W decoding to work. Now I think I have it in good shape to share.
Always my hybris work will be here: https://github.com/vamanea/hybris and XBMC + hybris is here: https://github.com/vamanea/xbmc/tree/Frodo-hybris

Blob

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

Back to hardware decoder.
I've found out that MFCv6 decoder always produces tiled 16x16 picture, even declared as able to probuce NV12 untiled, and set to do so.
Actually I've found out that setting the output type changes nothing, nevertheless the device correctly reports that it is outputting different formats.

It turns out that this is the bug, which for example was workedaround in chromium by that patch: https://codereview.chromium.org/25758003
But!
5 days ago this workaround was reverted with description "fixed in new mfcv6 firmware" here https://codereview.chromium.org/47553003/

mdrjr, is it possible to obtain this firmware?

mdrjr
Site Admin

Post by mdrjr »

Not sure really.. Unless you can get it from the chromium sources.. I wouldn't count with any help from Samsung

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

jb_bak wrote:Are you sure this is in 720P? My old TV only supports 720P. From what I see in the boot.ini file it appears to be 1080.
Unfortunately I forgot the default configuration set to 1080p. You must edit the boot.ini file on the first partition and change 2 lines:
Change:

Code: Select all

setenv fb_x_res     "1920"
setenv fb_y_res     "1080"
to:

setenv fb_x_res     "1280"
setenv fb_y_res     "720"
and

setenv hdmi_phy_res "1080p60hz"
to

setenv hdmi_phy_res "720p60hz"

hgblob

Re: Media Center ODROID-XU XBMC 12.2(02/11/13 H264 HW decodi

Post by hgblob »

Hi All,

Just added a new image wich includes MFC decoding with libhybris http://mrs.ro/dl/odroid/odroidxu-hw.img.xz. The current tests show no dropped frames for the sintel trailer @1080p Also the A15 cluster never gets activated at playback. This is shaping up to a great media center, just need to fix the CEC support and fix the weird HDMI bug.

Blob

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

Got the firmware:
was
[ 5781.885758] MFC v6.5, F/W: 12yy, 04mm, 24dd (D)
now
[ 6574.953696] MFC v6.5, F/W: 13yy, 10mm, 15dd (D)
Attachments
s5p-mfc-v6.fw.zip
(174.46 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

memeka

Post by memeka »

Thanks hgblob.

I shall try picking the bits from your image and add them to my system.

PS - glad to see someone else from Romania on these forums :p

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

Yup, the firmware works, the picture is untiled.
If ever PVR libs will be ready native for linux, without hybris, native MFC is ready too.

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

memeka wrote:Thanks hgblob.

Please take the full /system folder and don't forget to start /system/bin/servicemanager and /system/bin/mediaserver Also you need libmedia.so and the mfc firmware. If everything works for h264 files you should see codec name as "hyb-h264"
memeka wrote: PS - glad to see someone else from Romania on these forums :p
Heh, how did you know?

memeka

Post by memeka »

Ovversun - you think it's worth to try decoding via v4l? Seems to me via libhybris would have the advantage of having better support in the future.
There are now 2 Android libs used for hardware decoding, both working with the XU - libstagefright and mediacodec...
Currently on the U2, the limitation is in the video decoding code. Don;t know if it's the v4l interfaces or the actual code you wrote, but I have tried yesterday the latest Gotham nightly on 1080p with the new xorg mali server. It was dropping frames, with CPU cores 40-60%. There was no core approaching 100%, so this is not the limiting factor anymore.
Oh, and I got many movies going for ff instead of mfc, probably because of the init part, the format not being recognised.

memeka

Post by memeka »

hgblob wrote:
memeka wrote:Thanks hgblob.

Please take the full /system folder and don't forget to start /system/bin/servicemanager and /system/bin/mediaserver Also you need libmedia.so and the mfc firmware. If everything works for h264 files you should see codec name as "hyb-h264"

memeka wrote: PS - glad to see someone else from Romania on these forums :p
Heh, how did you know?
Thanks I shall try tomorrow.
I guess romanian names (github account) are easy to spot for romanians (plus the .ro hosting) :p

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

memeka wrote:Ovversun - you think it's worth to try decoding via v4l? Seems to me via libhybris would have the advantage of having better support in the future.
There are now 2 Android libs used for hardware decoding, both working with the XU - libstagefright and mediacodec...
Currently on the U2, the limitation is in the video decoding code. Don;t know if it's the v4l interfaces or the actual code you wrote, but I have tried yesterday the latest Gotham nightly on 1080p with the new xorg mali server. It was dropping frames, with CPU cores 40-60%. There was no core approaching 100%, so this is not the limiting factor anymore.
Oh, and I got many movies going for ff instead of mfc, probably because of the init part, the format not being recognised.
It's new Xorg, I had all this a month ago and did a lot of tests. It's new Xorg introduced a lot which should be covered by Mali drivers and libs and is not...

MFCv6 on Exynos5 works much way better and doesn't require FIMC color converter. So I personally would prefer having XBMC build against native Linux libs, not making my system partly android.

LiquidAcid
ODROIDs: X2

Post by LiquidAcid »

@Oversun: The firmware packages used in Chromium are available online, see e.g. here

The mfc-fw-0.0.4-r1 tarball is from 23rd of October, so maybe what you're looking for. If someone knows if (and where) the firmware blobs are stored in the Chromium git tree, I would really like to know this :)

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

It's impossible to compile your git, hybris/media/media_compatibility_layer.h is missing, and there is no such file on your image, and I cannot find libmedia package for arm, only x86 packed exists for ubuntu...
Where are the sources of libmedia?

memeka

Post by memeka »

I decided to test first the image, before trying on my system...
however, the image has no X... and I don't get anything on HDMI ... am I missing the obvious? how do you start xbmc?

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

OverSun wrote:It's impossible to compile your git, hybris/media/media_compatibility_layer.h is missing, and there is no such file on your image, and I cannot find libmedia package for arm, only x86 packed exists for ubuntu...
Where are the sources of libmedia?
Hi, you need to compile the hybris from here: https://github.com/vamanea/hybris/tree/master/ It has all the include files you need. This should install libmedia and headers on your system.
Sorry I haven't managed to build the package yet.

Blob

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

memeka wrote:I decided to test first the image, before trying on my system...
however, the image has no X... and I don't get anything on HDMI ... am I missing the obvious? how do you start xbmc?
There is no X running, XBMC is using EGL to compose directly to the framebuffer(the same way Android & RPI work). There is a small bug where HDMI does not get activated if your cable is not plugged in at startup. To fix that you need to unzip and push the attached hwcomposer.exynos5.so to /vendor/lib/hw/

To start XBMC just use:

# start xbmc
PS: Please use the last image, the first one had some bugs.

Blob
Attachments
hwcomposer.exynos5.so.zip
(12.05 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

gandolf
ODROIDs: UX

Post by gandolf »

HI, I found a hwcomposer.exynos5.so in /system/vender/lib/hw, is it what you mean? And after patching the file, I still got nothing out of the HDMI output. I can ssh login the device, but when I enter start xbmc I only got messages like following:

start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.8" (uid=1000 pid=2188 comm="start xbmc ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init ")

And nothing comes out ouf HDMI. Please help. Thank you.

hgblob

Post by hgblob »

gandolf wrote:HI, I found a hwcomposer.exynos5.so in /system/vender/lib/hw, is it what you mean? And after patching the file, I still got nothing out of the HDMI output. I can ssh login the device, but when I enter start xbmc I only got messages like following:

start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.8" (uid=1000 pid=2188 comm="start xbmc ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init ")

First please ssh using root, pwd: odroid but XBMC should start automatically. Yes that's the hwcomposer file I mean.
Also which image are you using?

Blob

gandolf
ODROIDs: UX

Post by gandolf »

I am using the latest image you posted. Still cannot get HDMI output.
hgblob wrote:
gandolf wrote:HI, I found a hwcomposer.exynos5.so in /system/vender/lib/hw, is it what you mean? And after patching the file, I still got nothing out of the HDMI output. I can ssh login the device, but when I enter start xbmc I only got messages like following:

First please ssh using root, pwd: odroid but XBMC should start automatically. Yes that's the hwcomposer file I mean.
Also which image are you using?

Blob

OverSun

Post by OverSun »

I've finished MFCv6 native Linux code for XBMC, that was quite a ride...
I had to program neon asm function to convert NV12 to YUV420, since XBMC 12.2 cannot show raw NV12, but now everything is working fine.
I hope XBMC 13 will be able to show NV12, then performance will be even better. At least functions for this are in XBMC 13 code.

For now I can say that MFCv6 is working flawlessly - all the videos which were crashing on ODROID-U2 are playing fine, needless to say that fps is always at top.

Can't wait for native PVR Linux libs to make XBMC fully native.

memeka

Post by memeka »

@mdrjr: please make PVR a priority :D

gripped
ODROIDs: U2 XU U3 XU3

Post by gripped »

Just installed your image to try it out.
Very impressive. :D

As someone else pointed out the / partition is not being remounted rw. I had to do it manually the first time and then changed it to mount rw in boot.ini to save myself the bother. (though I guess this would stop fsck running on / ?)

If I disable the xbmc service and install X will xbmc with libhybris work on top of X ? (I'll be trying tomorrow anyway I think ;) )

SevenW
ODROIDs: XU

Post by SevenW »

@hgblob: Can you give building pvr-addons a try? I did, they(the one I tested, tvheadend), fail to be enabled, which may be due to compiler or library differences.

What I did:

#build xbmc-pvr-addons
#
mkdir builds
cd builds
git clone https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr-addons
apt-get install dh-autoreconf
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr
make install
What I find in the xbmc log when try to enable the tvheadend addon in xbmc:

ADDON: Dll Tvheadend HTSP Client - Client returned bad status (6) from Create and is not usable
Looking into the tvheadend (hts) client and provided I counted the status enum right (ADDON_STATUS_PERMANENT_FAILURE = 6):

ADDON_STATUS ADDON_Create(void* hdl, void* props)
{
  if (!hdl || !props)
    return ADDON_STATUS_UNKNOWN;

PVR_PROPERTIES* pvrprops = (PVR_PROPERTIES*)props;

XBMC = new CHelper_libXBMC_addon;
  if (!XBMC->RegisterMe(hdl))
  {
    SAFE_DELETE(XBMC);
    return ADDON_STATUS_PERMANENT_FAILURE;
  }

To me this looks like an incompatibility.
Besides the addons, I also did a build of tvheadend, and I have build some additional DVB drivers in the kernel. Tvheadend in it selfs works very well. I am able to record two encrypted HD channels simulatenious, while streaming another recording to view on a remote computer.

SevenW

memeka

Post by memeka »

gripped wrote:Just installed your image to try it out.
Very impressive. :D

As someone else pointed out the / partition is not being remounted rw. I had to do it manually the first time and then changed it to mount rw in boot.ini to save myself the bother. (though I guess this would stop fsck running on / ?)

If I disable the xbmc service and install X will xbmc with libhybris work on top of X ? (I'll be trying tomorrow anyway I think ;) )
Like above :)

please let me know how the X experiment goes...

Some other things:

1) the keyboard mapping was wrong in xbmc (probably an android thing?)
2) there are some artefacts when playing video ... a trembling of the image, every couple of minutes.... I don't think they are a hyb decoder issue since it's the same when playing with ffmpeg...
3) lots of errors like this: [ 2624.430809] s5p_mfc_handle_frame_error:505: Interrupt Error: 102

Return to “Ubuntu”