Ubuntu Server 13.08 Quiet Giant for ODROID-XU (20140308)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Ubuntu Server 13.08 Quiet Giant for ODROID-XU (20140308)

Unread post by robroy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:15 am

I created a Linaro Ubuntu Server 13.08 Raring Ringtail image, forked from the official Hard Kernel release, with a core suite of applications for an Internet server.

Download the image here:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 308.img.xz

European mirror by @traxo:
http://odroid.txmonitor.de/

Want to upgrade your existing Quiet Giant image?
Kernel updates: http://builder.mdrjr.net/tools/kernel-update.sh

Username: root
Password: odroid

Username: odroid
Password: odroid

Servers: Mail, DNS, Tomcat, MySQL, Apache 2, JRuby, PHP 5, FTP, Samba, Open SSH and Minecraft/Spigot.

If you enjoy my contributions to the Hard Kernel community, please consider donating an amount of your choice via the link in my signature.

Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
  • 1. Resize the "rootfs" partition to fit your SD card. This is best done on another Linux system using the GParted utility.
    2. Remove unused servers with tasksel to free up memory and processor cycles.
    3. Change your server time zone from UTC using "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata".
    4. Change the MySQL admin password which defaults to blank.
Improvements and upgrades:
  • 1. The kernel has an on-demand maximum clock frequency of 1.8GHz.
    2. All upgrades and updates have been run using aptitude and apt-get.
    3. All orphaned and obsolete packages have been purged, including the original kernel.
Features in this release:
  • Official HK kernel 3.4.75 (commit 88727487c1ed7a73f9c8233484a00de1b1cf7adc)
    Oracle JDK8 September 2013
    Blackbox Desktop Environment
    Headless server (SSH, USB-UART serial output, or HDMI desktop)
    Apache 2 web server running JRuby and PHP 5
    Samba shares at /var/www/, /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/ROOT, and /home/odroid/Documents for sandbox website development
    MySQL server integrated with Spigot and Apache
    Spigot 1.6.4 server with Factions, Factions Plus, Hunger Games, PVP Arena, Kit PVP, World Edit, Vault, Essentials and more
    Installable on 8GB eMMC
Notes:
  • All servers are started on boot except for Spigot.

Approximately 350MB of RAM is used when all 8 servers are running, leaving 1.65GB free for server use.

Use "shutdown -h now" when powering down to avoid single-user maintenance mode, ensuring that the rootfs unmounts cleanly.

Swap is enabled in the kernel, which extends memory beyond 2GB (more here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add- ... ile-howto/)

Follow this guide to use Nginx instead of Apache after uninstalling Apache: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=167

Spigot version 1.6.4 is installed in /home/odroid/Public/, and may be started with:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Public/spigot
    ./spigot.sh

Last edited by robroy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:34 am, edited 10 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

sert00
languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Re: Ubuntu Server 13.05 Quiet Giant for ODROID-XU (20130921)

Unread post by sert00 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 pm

ehi rob!based on date here..the last release is 0921,but he file say 0829..what's the thruth?if it's the firsts date,it would come up ith kernel\bootloaders updates and fix i think..
thanks
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 am

sert00 wrote:ehi rob!based on date here..the last release is 0921,but he file say 0829..what's the thruth?if it's the firsts date,it would come up ith kernel\bootloaders updates and fix i think..
thanks
I haven't been able to update Quiet Giant -XU to Linaro Server yet because my -XU was being RMA'd.

However, my replacement -XU board arrived yesterday ;)

As you noticed, this -XU version is still in Beta, based on the XFCE image that I originally did before Linaro Server -XU was available. You can run the kernel-update script to keep it synced in the meantime.

I will be updating the -XU image to match the description in early October, after I finish my Whisper series.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

hokoon
languages_spoken: ไทย
ODROIDs: U2, XU, U3, C-1

Unread post by hokoon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:54 am

Do you have a plan to release Canonical based Server?
I preferred Canonical for standard apt package over Linaro.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:30 am

hokoon wrote:Do you have a plan to release Canonical based Server?
I preferred Canonical for standard apt package over Linaro.
You're in luck! This beta version is actually Canonical, but it's not an optimized server release.

I stripped down the official XFCE -XU release using Synaptic and shaped it into a server before the official Linaro Server -XU image was available.

I will be replacing the beta version with the Linaro version, now that @mdrjr has released Linaro Server -XU.

For the moment, there is no official HK version of Canonical Ubuntu Server, and I fork directly from the official releases.
Last edited by robroy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

hokoon
languages_spoken: ไทย
ODROIDs: U2, XU, U3, C-1

Unread post by hokoon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 am

Sadly this beta won't boot on my board (rev3)

T__T

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:06 am

hokoon wrote:Sadly this beta won't boot on my board (rev3)

T__T
Keep in mind that the beta is actually headless, and doesn't contain a desktop environment. You should be able to reach it via SSH or USB-UART, and install Blackbox or OpenBox using aptitude.

I just got my rev3 board, and plan to update this image by early October.

The next version of Quiet Giant -XU will match the description in the original post ;)

robroy

Re: Ubuntu Server 13.08 Quiet Giant for ODROID-XU (20131005)

Unread post by robroy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:18 pm

New features in this release:
  • Upgraded to kernel 3.4.75 (commit 88727487c1ed7a73f9c8233484a00de1b1cf7adc)
    Added "fsckfix=YES" to /etc/rcS
Enjoy!
Last edited by robroy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sert00
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread post by sert00 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 am

appreciated! :)
EDIT
Too bad..waitd for this many days..and now my board is died.ahah,what a pity! :(
find that..only at download complete...
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:11 am

sert00 wrote:appreciated! :)
EDIT
Too bad..waitd for this many days..and now my board is died.ahah,what a pity! :(
find that..only at download complete...
What happened to your board?

sert00

Unread post by sert00 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 pm

this!http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2436
:cry:
time to switch to quiet giant and whisper to mine u2!i'll go for another one Xu when possible later next month.
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"

robroy

Re: Ubuntu Server 13.08 Quiet Giant for ODROID-XU (20131020)

Unread post by robroy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 am

New features in this release: Enjoy !

Want to upgrade your existing Quiet Giant image ?

1. Add the file /etc/e2fsck.conf with the following contents:

[problems]

# Superblock last mount time is in the future (PR_0_FUTURE_SB_LAST_MOUNT).
0x000031 = {
    preen_ok = true
    preen_nomessage = true
}

# Superblock last write time is in the future (PR_0_FUTURE_SB_LAST_WRITE).
0x000032 = {
    preen_ok = true
    preen_nomessage = true
}
Last edited by robroy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

e=MMC2
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID XU+E [+H2o]

Unread post by e=MMC2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am

I literally just installed the previous version like 30min before you posted this :p. So when I click on the link above it doesn't work. Not a big deal just figured I'd let you know.

Not Found

The requested URL /robroyhall/images/ubuntu/xu/UbuntuServer-13.08_QuietGiant-XU-HDMI.20131020.img.xz was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.25 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.25 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 DAV/2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.4.20 Server at oph.mdrjr.net Port 80
Top troubleshooting steps
1. reboot
2. use profanity and rapidly click mouse
3. google

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am

e=MMC2 wrote:I literally just installed the previous version like 30min before you posted this :p. So when I click on the link above it doesn't work. Not a big deal just figured I'd let you know.

Not Found
The upload is now finished, so please try your download again :)

In this version, I added an e2fsck configuration file so as not to lock the root file system when the Odroid clock is inaccurate.

e=MMC2

Unread post by e=MMC2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:49 am

robroyhall wrote:
e=MMC2 wrote:I literally just installed the previous version like 30min before you posted this :p. So when I click on the link above it doesn't work. Not a big deal just figured I'd let you know.

Not Found

In this version, I added an e2fsck configuration file so as not to lock the root file system when the Odroid clock is inaccurate.
POW! download was quick. So not to veer off on this thread but is that added e2fsck file something that can be added to the Kali Linux install to address having to boot using LAN for NTP? I don't know enough about this but it struck the thought from your post on Kali.

--When the image is booted without the wired LAN plugged in, the clock time may become out-of-sync, unless you are using a clock battery. In Kali, this time difference causes the root file system to be mounted as read-only. If this happens, type "fsck /" when logged in as root, then reboot with the LAN properly attached. This will unlock the file system and re-synchronize the clock with Internet time via NTP.
1. reboot
3. google

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:17 pm

e=MMC2 wrote:
robroyhall wrote:

Not Found

POW! download was quick.
Make sure you have the full download. There is an .md5sum file in the same directory for verification.
So not to veer off on this thread but is that added e2fsck file something that can be added to the Kali Linux install to address having to boot using LAN for NTP? I don't know enough about this but it struck the thought from your post on Kali.
Yes, it is the same fix. Watch for an updated version of Kali in my next release cycle :)

e=MMC2

Unread post by e=MMC2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 pm

robroyhall wrote:
Make sure you have the full download. There is an .md5sum file in the same directory for verification.
Ya I was going to ask about the md5 but felt like I was pestering. I just redownloaded it actually cuz it failed when I unzipped it with some errors. The first one downloaded at ~500mb and I noticed this one I just downloaded was 820mb. Thanks for the tip Ill try it now.

Yes, it is the same fix. Watch for an updated version of Kali in my next release cycle :)
Awesome. Thank you sir. I redownloaded the Kali again and its the same size and file so I'm not sure why it's not working. I'll keep fooling with it and watch for the update.
1. reboot
3. google

e=MMC2

Unread post by e=MMC2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:19 am

Morning Dr Hall. Just thought I'd mention I installed this last night and was fooling with it a bit. I typed in shutdown 1, and it reported it will shutdown in 1min and it did, sorta. Just thought I'd mention to you what it did in case it's an issue for anyone else. I'm actually wiping this out for now to install some other builds so please don't take my post as a request to fix this. It does not effect me but may someone else. Figured maybe you could test this whenever and fix it on your next release if it duplicates.

-So when I type shutdown 1, it half shut down or something. The prompt indicated shutdown and the screen went black on my tv. If a device shuts all the way down, and zero signal being sent, my tv goes blue screen with a message no connection found or something of that sorts. All of these installs shut down fully and go blue screen and no activity on my board. Last night my board was still showing the blinking red/blue light and wasnt fully shut down. -I actually just tested it twice more while typing this and it duplicated. Once using shutdown 1, and again using shutdown now. Both from root user. My keyboard and mouse do not "wake" it up persay or cause anything to come on my screen. The ethernet lights and light for my wireless mouse usb dongle are on and showing status as active. I guess the concern would be having to pull power every time to fully shut this down. If you want me to reinstall this later and pull a file or log I'd be glad to. Have a good day sir.
1. reboot
3. google

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 am

e=MMC2 wrote:Morning Dr Hall.
:geek: :)
-So when I type shutdown 1, it half shut down or something. The prompt indicated shutdown and the screen went black on my tv.
As I noted in the original post, you need to use "shutdown -h" so that Linaro doesn't go into single-user mode. Single-user mode requires either a Ctrl-D or the root password to complete the shutdown. Sometimes the Ctrl-D prompt even catches in a loop and doesn't accept any serial console input, and the only way to reboot is to power cycle, which isn't an option if you're remote.

You will see the "Ctrl-D" message if you have the USB-UART adapter, but the "-h" option overrides it and forces a shutdown without waiting for further input.

This is probably one of the many reasons that HK no longer uses Linaro builds, from which my Quiet Giant and Fully Loaded images are forked.

e=MMC2

Unread post by e=MMC2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:28 am

well now i feel dumb sorry about that. i speed read often and missed that note. im going to go noob-up a different thread now lol.
1. reboot
3. google

Raymond Day
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2, XU4, C1+,

Unread post by Raymond Day » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:25 am

The last install on my Odroid-XU this command worked but it don't work on this Ubuntu Server 13.08 Quiet Giant don't work here is what I get when I run it.

root@odroid-server:~# a2enconf servername
-bash: a2enconf: command not found
root@odroid-server:~#
Is there some apt-get I can do to fix this? I looked on Google for hours and can't find a fix. I must be wording it wrong.

When I ran it before on the other install it worked like this:

root@odroid:/etc/apache2/sites-available# a2enconf servername
Enabling conf servername.
To activate the new configuration, you need to run:
service apache2 reload
root@odroid:/etc/apache2/sites-available# service apache2 reload
* Reloading web server apache2 *
root@odroid:/etc/apache2/sites-available# apachectl configtest
Syntax OK
root@odroid:/etc/apache2/sites-available#
Just don't get why is don't work on this load. But this load with Quiet Giant seems to be working very good on my Odroid-XU.

It's running on a 8GB eMMC card. With two green 3TB USB 3.0 drives.

-Raymond Day

Raymond Day

Unread post by Raymond Day » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 am

I fixed it. In Webmin I went to Default server and Networking and Addresses. It was set under Server hostname to Automatic. I changed it to were you can type and I typed "localhost" then click on Apply Changes then did this to test:

root@odroid-server:/etc/apache2/sites-available# apachectl configtest
Syntax OK
root@odroid-server:/etc/apache2/sites-available#
Wow that was hard to know how to fix and could not find any help on line. I did it my self.

-Raymond Day

bk_XU_AZ
ODROIDs: XU3, U3, XU4, C1+

Unread post by bk_XU_AZ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:06 am

I've tried flashing QG 13.08 to eMMC and SD cards. It works okay, but something is hogging the CPU intermittently so the keyboard (over SSH) becomes unresponsive for a couple of seconds, about every 5 seconds. Using the kernel-updater script ( http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ubuntu/xu/) updates the kernel and everything works great until I power-cycle or restart the OS.

Once I do that, even after just a raw install with no other changes than running that script, my board won't boot all the way. At first, the green LED indicates that the bootloader is working, then I get the flashing blue LED. The Ethernet is dead (no lights), and of course ping requests are ignored. I never have video, can only operate headless so I don't know if there would be any video if the connector were working. But there are no signs of life other than a flashing blue and a solid red LED. :cry:

So I need the good results that updating the kernel provides, but I need it to survive a restart. Your help will be much appreciated!

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:58 am

bk_XU_AZ wrote:I've tried flashing QG 13.08 to eMMC and SD cards. It works okay, but something is hogging the CPU intermittently so the keyboard (over SSH) becomes unresponsive for a couple of seconds, about every 5 seconds. Using the kernel-updater script ( http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ubuntu/xu/) updates the kernel and everything works great until I power-cycle or restart the OS.

Once I do that, even after just a raw install with no other changes than running that script, my board won't boot all the way. At first, the green LED indicates that the bootloader is working, then I get the flashing blue LED. The Ethernet is dead (no lights), and of course ping requests are ignored. I never have video, can only operate headless so I don't know if there would be any video if the connector were working. But there are no signs of life other than a flashing blue and a solid red LED. :cry:

So I need the good results that updating the kernel provides, but I need it to survive a restart. Your help will be much appreciated!
Do you have the USB-UART adapter? This will let you peek into the boot process and identify what's going on.

You may also inspect the file /var/log/kern.log for any unusual messages. It's also possible that the boot.ini file in the FAT32 partition may need to be adjusted.

bk_XU_AZ

Unread post by bk_XU_AZ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks Rob, I knew about the UART, but I don't have the right connector. I might be able to rig one, and make a level-translator or use a Pi. I'll have a peek at the boot.ini, which I probably would've skipped had you not set me right. I might need help with it, but most of it is understandable. Thanks very much for your help. I'll report back.

If the output of the boot process is logged (that is, the stuff that comes over the UART), which I assume it is, I could pop the card into a Linux machine and have a look there. I just need to know which log.

bk_XU_AZ

Unread post by bk_XU_AZ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:47 am

The boot.ini just had slightly different video settings (I did a file diff). I copied the old (working) one over it, and it still won't boot.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 am

bk_XU_AZ wrote:The boot.ini just had slightly different video settings (I did a file diff). I copied the old (working) one over it, and it still won't boot.
This might be a good topic for a new thread, since I think there may be an issue with the updated kernel, since the original one works OK. It may also be an oversight in the kernel update script itself.

@mdrjr, one of the kernel developrs, will be more likely to notice your issue in a new thread with a descriptive title. Quiet Giant is based on his original Linaro Server 13.08 image.

I am planning an upcoming update to Quiet Giant which will include the latest XU kernel, so you may want to use the original kernel in the meantime, if @mdrjr isnt able to help you resolve it.

bk_XU_AZ

Unread post by bk_XU_AZ » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Many thanks, Rob. I got it working much better with the original kernel. I will change it when you update QG. I appreciate your help, and thanks for QG- it's exactly what I need and a few extras!

robroy

Re: Ubuntu Server 13.08 Quiet Giant for ODROID-XU (20140308)

Unread post by robroy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:36 am

New features in this release:
  • Upgraded to kernel 3.4.75 (commit 88727487c1ed7a73f9c8233484a00de1b1cf7adc)
    Added "fsckfix=YES" to /etc/default/rcS
Enjoy!
Last edited by robroy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:33 am

what does "fsckfix=YES" do?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:15 am

memeka wrote:what does "fsckfix=YES" do?
It runs "fsck /" on boot to repair any disk problems automatically.

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 am

on trusty (14.04), there is no /etc/rcS, but /etc/init/rcS, and it has no fsckfix defined ... any idea how to enable?

edit: found it in /etc/default/rcS

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 am

memeka wrote:on trusty (14.04), there is no /etc/rcS, but /etc/init/rcS, and it has no fsckfix defined ... any idea how to enable?

edit: found it in /etc/default/rcS
I adjusted the release notes to /etc/default/rcS, thank you for the correction :)

bk_XU_AZ

Unread post by bk_XU_AZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm

QG is booting into a GUI login prompt (not using a ssh login). Once the login credentials are supplied, the screen has no useful controls or any icons on it. Is there a way to make it boot to a bash shell instead? Or, when those login edit boxes for Username or PWD are on-screen, is there a keyboard shortcut to get to tty1, tty2, etc (that have bash shells). I tried Alt-1, Alt-2 and Alt-F1 and so forth, but got nothing but some characters typed into the box.

Many thanks!

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 pm

bk_XU_AZ wrote:QG is booting into a GUI login prompt (not using a ssh login). Once the login credentials are supplied, the screen has no useful controls or any icons on it.
The desktop environment is called Blackbox, and is supposed to be very minimal, since Quiet Giant is a server image. Its intended use is to be run headless and accessed via SSH. After logging in, rIght-click the desktop and select "xterm".

It's not good for a server image to run a complicated GUI environment which eats up processor cycles and affects the performance of the actual services. Blackbox is really just a way to run multiple command shell via HDMI. If you still want a full desktop environment for whatever reason, run synaptic from the command line and install your favorite one.
Is there a way to make it boot to a bash shell instead? Or, when those login edit boxes for Username or PWD are on-screen, is there a keyboard shortcut to get to tty1, tty2, etc (that have bash shells). I tried Alt-1, Alt-2 and Alt-F1 and so forth, but got nothing but some characters typed into the box.
I don't know if Kernel 3.4.75 supports the framebuffer console, but you may want to try Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]. You can also try uninstalling X11.

bk_XU_AZ

Unread post by bk_XU_AZ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks, Rob, I got a terminal window with your suggestion. Then, from a SSH session (on a PC), I uninstalled X, and it now boots to a blank screen. I guess I can edit inittab to launch bash, but I'll save that for another time. I figured it wouldn't hurt to install a GUI, since the server's services are very lightly loaded. But I am running headless anyway- and now BlackBox isn't just a word- thanks to you I know what it is.

You've made me a little smarter, but I get the feeling there's a long way to go before I could be a practicing sysadmin.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 pm

What a nice message, thank you!

Raymond Day

Unread post by Raymond Day » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:21 am

Still running this Quiet Giant on my Odroid-XU.

It seems good. But the other day I had to reboot it. I could get no webpage from it. Webmin still worked. The RS232 to it worked but it would not show what I typed.

When I reset by the command or power off on it's like random if it will come back with the command line.

Not sure if this will show what my be wrong but with just the RS232 sitting there for about 2 days text will come up. It looks like this. I did not type any thing in it.

tar: lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libresolv-2.17.so: time stamp 2013-04-18 13:27:45 is 40930019.814830956 s in the future
tar: lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libresolv.so.2: time stamp 2013-04-18 13:26:23 is 40929937.814625664 s in the future
                                                                         [ OK ]
 * Starting NTP server ntpd                                              [ OK ]
 * Starting web server apache2                                                  Welcome to Linaro 13.09 (GNU/Linux 3.4.5 armv7l)

* Documentation:  https://wiki.linaro.org/

System information as of Sat Dec 31 19:00:44 EST 2011

System load:                  1.73
  Usage of /media/USBdisk2-3TB: 47.1% of 2.68TB
  Memory usage:                 5%
  Swap usage:                   0%
  Processes:                    142
  Users logged in:              0
  IP address for eth1:          192.168.2.109

Graph this data and manage this system at https://landscape.canonical.com/

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

[ OK ]
 * Starting Tomcat servlet engine tomcat7                                       root@odroid-server:~#                                                    [ OK ]
Starting pyTivo: done
 * Starting X display manager xdm                                        [ OK ]

root@odroid-server:~# [66041.447368] INFO: task jbd2/sdb2-8:2046 blocked for more than 10 seconds.
[66041.452723] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

root@odroid-server:~# [73371.577183] INFO: task jbd2/sdb2-8:2046 blocked for more than 10 seconds.
[73371.582970] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[80571.693916] INFO: task jbd2/sdb2-8:2046 blocked for more than 10 seconds.
[80571.705913] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[83571.752324] INFO: task jbd2/sdb2-8:2046 blocked for more than 10 seconds.
[83571.758385] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
Looking at this can any one tell if any thing is wrong?

-Raymond Day

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:20 am

All I can tell from your log is that the jdb2 service, which controls IO from the hard drives, is failing for some reason, possible disk corruption or an intermittent cable?

Raymond Day

Unread post by Raymond Day » Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 am

It's working good now. It looks like because I had one power supply to the two hard drives. I had a Y split from a power supply. But now I have 2 power supply's on it that came with the "My Book" I took the hard drives out of the case and made a U shape from sheet mettle to hold them.

I ran spin rite on both of them and spin rite said no errors. So they are still good.

Thanks for the help. I did not know that mean something wrong with the hard drive.

-Raymond Day

Return to “Ubuntu”