Wifi Hotspot

niebieski20
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wifi Hotspot

Unread post by niebieski20 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi
Is there a chance to add Wifi tethering option into odroid??? From what I can see there is no any image for XU with this option. Is this is a big job to add this future in source??
Regards

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Re: Wifi Hotspot

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 15, 2014 10:58 pm

@mdrjr wrote an article in the February issue of ODROID Magazine on how to use the XU as a wifi router.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

niebieski20

Unread post by niebieski20 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:12 am

Yes but this is description for linux. What about Android? For now there is no even option "Tethering & Portable Hotspot" in settings. How to enable this future?? I know that it will also need to modify Wifi USB dongle driver also need to support it.

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 am

Until you receive a response from the HK developers as to whether Tethering will be included in a future release, you could run Linux underneath Android using the "chroot" command which gives you access to Linux services while running Android. There are great instructions in the January issue of ODROID Magazine for doing this. It may be challenging, but would be a very nice project.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Fri May 16, 2014 4:22 am

Its a big job to add hotspot :(

And it would probably only work properly if your WAN is a 3g modem

niebieski20

Unread post by niebieski20 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 am

After one week battle I found almost straight solution on official Realtek site. I follow instruction in RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911.zip and WiFi Hotspot and regular Wifi connectivity are working now. Im using Odroid XU 4.2.2 BSP with android_Apr_07_2014.patch as a base. For everyone that do not want to go thrue all steps I attach archive with all modify files.

Archive is over 2MB in size I cannot attach it here... Please let me know How to do this. .

mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread post by mdrjr » Mon May 26, 2014 8:39 am

Compress it or upload to some of those upload sites

niebieski20

Unread post by niebieski20 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Here it is:
http://www.4shared.com/archive/rZUCPkdI ... ernel.html

I attach also kernel zImage and rtl8912cu.ko. Both got some modification also. I need to compare them wirh original source and I will update what I did. I know for sure that in RTL drivers I switch them into nl80211 mode. Also on Android site everything is now in nl80211 instead wext.

Edit:
One file is missin in archive above
Attachments
android_net_wifi_Wifi.cpp.tar.gz
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

justice
ODROIDs: Odroid U2, Odroid U3, Odroid XU Lite, ODroid C1

Unread post by justice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:52 am

Hey everyone!
I've stumble across this page which is almost exactly what I want to do but can't quite do it. I want to enable wifi hotspot for the ODroid-U3. Following niebieski20's example I've went to Realtek's site and downloaded the RTL819xSU_usb_linux_v2.6.6.0.20120405.zip and followed the instructions for setting up the wifi for android using the 4.0.3(4?) Feb 8 BSP as a base. I've pretty much switch wext to nl80211 (more or less commenting out the wext lines and uncommenting the nl80211 lines that were already there). I've built the system.img and the kernel and flashed everything on the SD card. The device boots up fine and I'm able to turn on the wifi hotspot (the box next to it is checked off) but I can't enable wifi. It simply stalls when I try to enable it (with or without wifi hotspot enabled). I've even tried to rebuild the kernel again and update it as per: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=83 with the appropriate drivers. I was wondering if there were any changes I needed to make tothe kernel or the drivers itself or if I'm missing something all together. I'm still quite new to these things and don't have much experience so I'd really appreciate any help.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 am

justice wrote:Hey everyone!
I've stumble across this page which is almost exactly what I want to do but can't quite do it. I want to enable wifi hotspot for the ODroid-U3. Following niebieski20's example I've went to Realtek's site and downloaded the RTL819xSU_usb_linux_v2.6.6.0.20120405.zip and followed the instructions for setting up the wifi for android using the 4.0.3(4?) Feb 8 BSP as a base. I've pretty much switch wext to nl80211 (more or less commenting out the wext lines and uncommenting the nl80211 lines that were already there). I've built the system.img and the kernel and flashed everything on the SD card. The device boots up fine and I'm able to turn on the wifi hotspot (the box next to it is checked off) but I can't enable wifi. It simply stalls when I try to enable it (with or without wifi hotspot enabled). I've even tried to rebuild the kernel again and update it as per: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=83 with the appropriate drivers. I was wondering if there were any changes I needed to make tothe kernel or the drivers itself or if I'm missing something all together. I'm still quite new to these things and don't have much experience so I'd really appreciate any help.
It would be good to post the log captured while you enable WiFi, so that people can give you more help. Firstly you should check if WiFi driver you built is loaded when WiFi is enabled on Settings. U3's BSP only support WEXT based driver and its name is different with the one what you built, I guess. So the driver you built must be loaded properly and wpa_supplicant should be able to talk with your driver as well.

voodik
languages_spoken: english,russian

Unread post by voodik » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 am

Wifi Hotspot is working in my CM-11 builds for XU and U3
Buy me a beer ;)
https://www.paypal.me/voodikjan
BTC: 377wXjEr3QsDDzRqfMco3a41wicrsv3Sfs
--------------------------------------------------------
dump logs
(dmesg; logcat -d; lsusb) | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

justice

Unread post by justice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 am

Thanks for the input tobetter. I'll try to grab the dmesg/logcat when I get the chance. I tinkered with some things and my device won't boot anymore. Hey voodik would you mind telling me the exact build of CM-11 for the U3 you're running? Please and thank you.

justice

Unread post by justice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 am

*Update* So I was able to get voodik's CM-11 build to work on the U3. I was able to enable wifi hotspot but I can't seem to connect to it. I'm using a odroid wifi module #3 (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 7447734369). Does the odroid wifi module #2 (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 5270617127) not support hotspot because that one was giving me issues (locking up the device).

voodik
languages_spoken: english,russian

Unread post by voodik » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 pm

justice wrote:*Update* So I was able to get voodik's CM-11 build to work on the U3. I was able to enable wifi hotspot but I can't seem to connect to it. I'm using a odroid wifi module #3 (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 7447734369). Does the odroid wifi module #2 (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 5270617127) not support hotspot because that one was giving me issues (locking up the device).
After 3 day/nights finally fixed hotspot for U3 ... i add it to next build. But this thread about XU and hotspot in XU already working.
Buy me a beer ;)
https://www.paypal.me/voodikjan
BTC: 377wXjEr3QsDDzRqfMco3a41wicrsv3Sfs
--------------------------------------------------------
dump logs
(dmesg; logcat -d; lsusb) | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

kevintd

Unread post by kevintd » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi everyone,
i have the same problem as here, that is enable hotspot on Odroid C1.
Could anyone help me to reupload the driver for realtek usb,
because this link http://www.4shared.com/archive/rZUCPkdI ... ernel.html did not work.

Sincerely.

mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread post by mdrjr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:15 pm

kevintd wrote:Hi everyone,
i have the same problem as here, that is enable hotspot on Odroid C1.
Could anyone help me to reupload the driver for realtek usb,
because this link http://www.4shared.com/archive/rZUCPkdI ... ernel.html did not work.

Sincerely.
Posting on a XU thread won't get you help on C1. That's called Off-topic and its bad news.
ALso, reviving a thread that's 1 year and 6 month dead.. isn't very nice as well.

Return to “Android”