Just got my first SoC!

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Just got my first SoC!

Unread postby TheWarmth » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 am

So I just got my ODROIDXU4 in the mail today! Im not exactly new to linux... I made the switch about 3 months ago. I went from 8+ years on Windows straight to Kali Linux and I honestly havent had to hard of a time picking up on things... I can say that I wish I had made the switch sooner. I love the freedom and customization thats available with Linux. So Far I have installed Kali Linux onto the XU4. Havent discovered a way to upgrade the kernel however... Its stuck on 3.10. But I know that is up to kali to fix. So Ive tried to install the Official Ubuntu Image and when I turn on the SoC all I get is the red light. I get no action from the fan either. I used etcher to make the SD. I did the kali image the same way as well.

I have no experience building kernels or OS's... Ive always just installed and ran whatever OS.. I would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.. Is there something more I have to do than just run the .img through etcher? Should I use a different method for creating the SD? What all I required for a successful OS?

I appreciate all help in advance! Thanks!
TheWarmth

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: oDROID xU4
Hominoid xU4 Split Air Flow Case
oDROID C2

Re: Just got my first SoC!

Unread postby odroid » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Please read our WiKi pages and manual first.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/odroid-xu4
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby TheWarmth » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 pm

That was the first thing that I did.. Ive been tinkering with the thing all day. Ive followed the instructions to a tee. And all I get when I plug the card into the SoC is a solid red light. However when I use the Kali Image it loads right up so I dont think that its my card reader or a bad SoC... Its like the boot process doesnt even try to start... Do I need to install a Bootloader?
TheWarmth

oDROID C2

Unread postby odroid » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Did you use "Etcher" for flashing OS image?
https://wiki.odroid.com/troubleshooting ... s#flashing

Check the OS image file name too.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 4/20171212
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby TheWarmth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 am

Yes I used Etcher. I used a recommended SD CARD Reader/Writer. It seems like the only image I can get to run with my odroid is Kali Linux. But with the kernel being outdated I cant really do anything I need to do..

I am not sure what you mean by check the OS File Name?? I downloaded the file from the wiki link and verified the checksums if that is what you mean... This is so frustrating.. I have a eMMC card coming in the mail tomorrow.. I am using a Samsung EVO 32GB card... I dont think that should be causing the issue... Maybe once I get the eMMC card I will actually be able to run a proper OS..
TheWarmth

oDROID C2

Unread postby odroid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am

Did you flash "ubuntu-16.04.3-4.14-mate-odroid-xu4-20171212.img.xz" file without extracting?
Etcher does extract and flashes by itself.
odroid
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself