First steps into the world of ODROID!

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

First steps into the world of ODROID!

Unread postby Seream » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:58 am

So about 3 month ago I decided to to get rid of Windows 10 completely and dive head first into the world of Linux and I'm happy I did! It's been far from easy, but I've never been one to shy away from a challenge. I've never joined a forum before. Anytime that I have had an issue I usually just hop onto duckduckgo and find what I'm looking for. I am in the process of getting my degree in computer science and am very interested in penetration testing. So Kali Linux was my OS of choice when starting Linux. Over the course of searching around and learning new things I came across ODROIDs and I got my ODROID xU4Q in the mail yesterday! I'm excited to get started on turning it into a portable pentesting system! After tinkering with it for a bit yesterday I thought, "Man, it would be nice to have a buddy who knew a thing or two about these things for questions!", so here I am and I look forward to learning and eventually being able to teach! Thanks!
Seream

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4Q

Re: First steps into the world of ODROID!

Unread postby rooted » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:43 am

Hello Seream, welcome to the forum.

There is a great post about this very subject by the user @mad_ady that you could benefit from greatly. I will see if I can find it and provide a link.

*ninja edit* Here is the link :)

viewtopic.php?t=20038
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Seream » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:33 am

Hey!

Thanks for the reply and the link! Already some helpful info!! I'm already impressed with the community on this forum!!
Seream

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:22 am

I haven't used kali on odroids, but a lot of the tools can be installed under ubuntu.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby rooted » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:26 am

mad_ady wrote:I haven't used kali on odroids, but a lot of the tools can be installed under ubuntu.
I was referring to the use of the tools and what wifi dingle (left for comedic autocorrect) you used that works for certain.

Very nice writeup.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Seream » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am

Well, I have heard that Ubuntu has made some changes to their.. kernel..? That's not pentesting friendly. Like their kinda migrating away from the whole pentesting scene... Plus I'm really comfortable with Debian and would like to stick with that. However I am having some issues getting my xU4 to boot up with the image from Kali's website. After using the search utility on the forum I wasn't able to find any post that match my symptoms so I am going to open a post in the "Issues" section of the xU4 section and I have no doubts the community here will be able to help me resolve the issue!

Ohh and mad_ady, do you do a lot of pentesting with your xU4?
Seream

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Seream wrote:Ohh and mad_ady, do you do a lot of pentesting with your xU4?

Actually not, but I wanted to learn more about wifi and it was a good opportunity. I'm not a pentester, just a tinkerer.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Return to Introduce Yourself