Mud here

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Mud here

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am

Total Odroid newbie... done some Arduino over the last several years, but looking for more power. Looking to build penetration testing tools with Odroid....

Finding lots of little compatibility issues, dated information on websites (including hardkernel), masking some possible bad hardware - one unit works with my HDMI and the next one doesn't. (The grounding issue is ridiculous). My C0 doesn't see the HDMI that my C2 does - they both are booting from Ubuntu eMMC. So it is not my HDMI cable - and yes I have to ground with USB cable with the C2,( or, I can see output, but it never completes booting... just running scripts.... ) which takes away from potential portable applications.
The C0 on the same setup just does the lights on the mobo and does not show any output on the monitor... I tried every resolution supported by my monitor - with hpd and without. with disableuhs remarked and without - ground wire between USB and HDMI and without - that makes for loads of possibilities made a spreadsheet of all combinations. (about 512 possibilities - none worked - weekend wasted). Bad board? Tonite I will try lighting the C0 with the GPIO powered 3.5 screen. The board's size and features make it interesting for me, if I can get it to work.....

Its gonna take some tinkering to figure this all out and have the security and integrity assurance I need to use this gear.... HDMI issues like everyone else...

then there is the Module 5 - not recognized by the C2 even after complete update/upgrade/dist-upgrade... the page says it is compatible.....

should keep me busy, but I'm already questioning the viability of product in a production environment - or is this going to be limited to hobbyist toy.......shouldn't be that every piece has an issue...
muddy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C0, C2

Re: Mud here

Unread postby odroid » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:20 am

Nice to meet you :D

C0 is not compatible with C2 OS image.
You need to flash the C1 OS image for C0.
C1 Ubuntu image: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c1/os_im ... ntu/ubuntu
Flashing guide: https://wiki.odroid.com/troubleshooting ... hing_tools

C2 Ubuntu image should work with WiFi module 5 out of the box.
Open terminal(Ctrl-Alt-T) and type "lsusb". There should WiFi module 5 ID 0bda:8812 in the list.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

I have the C0/C1 image Ububtu on eMMC 16GB from Ameridroid that I used in the C0 - I believe that has the C1 image - I also tried putting the C1 image on SD and waited about 5 minutes to see if there was any action - using 4 or 5 different resolutions... so that remains a puzzle.

and I have the 128GB for the C2 running A_OK on the C2 -

I wasn't clear 0 I have an eMMC chip for each of them with their appropriate image - one lights up my HDMI - the other (C0) just lights red - then the green starts flashing, then the blue flashes - and they keep changing from action on green to action on blue - red always on.... never any video output - grounded or not. Yet the C2 runs fine on my monitor and cable if I ground it.
ON the Module 5: lsusb shows the chipset and device - but somehow - that's it.... Network settings don't show it in the GUI to be able to set wifi account login info... any ideas?

Hey thanks for trying to help and taking the time to respond.....
muddy

Unread postby odroid » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 am

Let's clear WiFi module 5 issue on C2 first.
Update the system and kernel with following commands.
Code: Select all
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install linux-image-c2
sudo reboot

And check "iwconfig" output.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am

Odroid - thanks for the suggestion - I have created another problem that takes priority, and have exhausted all of today's time on it - so I'll have to get back to the module 5 issue later.. I was getting the wrong resolution on my monitor, unable to see the top line of the gui where you get to applications etc. I could poke around with the mouse etc. to start programs. So I adjusted the resolution a few times in boot.ini, but it seemed to have no effect until I tried 1440x900@60Hz - screen went blank - dead

I have put it back to several resolutions - and the monitor no longer lights up - grounded or not - (tried two monitors). I will have to see what I have for my boot ini and see if I accidentally unremarked something I haven't seen yet... but right now I have to suspend until later tonight or tomorrow... thanks for your help
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 am

Interesting..... I had bought 2 eMMC cards - one for the C0 and one for the C2. The Amazon description of the 16GB eMMC (fulfilled by hardkernel) that I bought for the C0 says it s for C0/C1/C1+ and C2. I had been trying to get it to light up my C0 all weekend with no success. (Tried 512 video combinations - all 8 resolutions, hpd on/off, shorted on or off - disableUHS - on this board's suggestion - all without success thinking that was the problem - and seeing so many people report the video problem).

I put that eMMC into the C2 because I fragged my 128GB eMMC bought for the C2, and the C2 lit right up again. So apparently the preinstalled Ubuntu chip hardkernel sent me that I just wasted the whole weekend trying to ignite is NOT for the C0, but for the C2, and needs a flash to set it to the C0 - in which case I didn't need to buy a pre loaded chip - did I? Now I have 2 chips - neither of which helps me - one working is too small - for the board it works on - and the big 128Gb needs to be reworked - and I worry it gets corrupted too easily - if it was corrupted just by setting the video wrong ....

So now I am back to just setting up the C2 with a chip too small - but I want to get the config right anyway so I can understand this and make it work, or decide I've wasted a couple of hundred bucks and three full days of time and chuck it out.

SO I set the resolution to all kinds of things....the display is always the same. Boot.ini does not seem to affect the resolution at all. I cannot see the top line of the screen, the sides of the screen etc. The image is just too big. I tried setting things at 760, 1080, 1280 etc... always the same size. The "Display" settings says the monitor is not recognized brand/model and so it does not allow any changes.

I have to poke the mouse above my screen and guess where everything is. I plugged in the ODROID module 5 - lsusb sees it as a Realtek 8812Au - but nothing appears in the Network menu - no way to set it up, configure my security settings and use it. Plugged the module 5 into my windows machine - perfect. Telling me to do sudo apt-get updates/upgrades etc...is good advice, but not without the internet connection from the module 5 which isn't recognized. I don't have a wired connection.

At this point I have a useless C0, a chip they sent me that doesn't work with the hardware it was paired with, (fortunately able to use it to diagnose the C2), a crippled or under memmoried C2 (using the 16GB because it coughed on the 128GB ) and I can't it use anyway because I can't see the menus - they are off the screen, and a cool USB 802.11AC dongle that is not recognized by the C2 -and the C0 doesn't work with the recommended Sandisk microSD card imaged with the Ubuntu C0/C1 image . A 3.5 touchscreen for the C0 that also doesn't work. So I have a box of junk at this point.

About ready to give up on all this - I have reviewed all the docs, wikis and played with boot.ini, examined boot.ini.default etc.... don't know what else to waste my time on next.... or just throw it all out and cut my losses short.

28 working hours on it... still not right yet. Getting frustrated that at every turn there is a problem with this gear.... you folks need better step by step documentation that is linear, clear and accurate -and dated so we know how old the information is and if it is outdated etc. Example - I see documentation about Uboot not working with Ext3 or Ext4 - then in an unrelated doc there is a comment that that has been updated - why not update the main page we all reference too! What a mess - I can't seem to make headway on this...

by next Monday - I will call it quits on this and consider the experiment a failure. at the moment I feel this product is not ready for prime time - how am I supposed to know if I have a bad board or just too many config issues - how can anyone test it out before the return dates go past and we are screwed. I must say at this point, while response support on this site has been prompt - I am losing faith in the product - I'm not the only one with problems - but I know some people have these things running just fine - maybe they have the right monitor - cable - board - eMMC - SD etc..how lucky. I sure don't have the magic combination even though I bought everything based on the shop page on hardkernel, but ordered through Amazon or Ameridroid..... so far a total waste of money and time. Not recommended and not impressed.
muddy

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:55 am

I stopped reading your full post because I can see the odroid caused a lot of frustration sofar. Here is some advice:
1. The odroids are sold as development platforms - this means that you will need to expect that some things are not plug and play and you are expected to invest time in understanding how the system works and what needs to be done. Even if you are a seasoned linux user, there is still a learning curve, because embedded systems are different than PCs, and are different among themselves. So don't expect it to magically work.
2. You can easily reflash the emmc with the correct image. Use Etcher or Win32Imager or even dd.
3. Good documentation is available. Start with the C2 manual and continue with wiki.odroid.com. There's also the old wiki which still exists but is unmaintained. Focus on one device at a time because c0 and c2 are different in some aspects.
4. The problem with the invisible menu bar is caused by your monitor/TV overscan. You can fix it from the TV (search for a game mode or lookup its manual), or from the odroid (it's listed in the c2 manual). It's not a resolution issue.

Hope my comments have helped and next time don't wait for 28 hours to ask for help. Open a thread here or ask for help on irc.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:54 am

1. I have been playing with embedded systems for 2 years - mostly Arduino pro-mini built into RFID attack tools. I have been programming in C++ and MASM for twenty years - I am not new to development. I was playing with computers in the Godbout days - CPM, 300 baud modems - no drivers for ANYTHING - just 10 bank DIP switches....so I have tinkered plenty and I had no "magical expectations" - but to "develop" anything - the board has to be working for the developer - which it is not.
2. I know I can reflash the eMMC - but I shouldn't have to - it was sold as compatible with the C0 with the Ubuntu installed - tat's why I bought it. I shouldn't have to dump that image to re-image when it is sold without a notation that that process MUST be followed - I see similar notices you have stating not good for XU4 unless you flash. That note was not on my product... so I ended up wasting all that time. I don't have time right now to reflash the 128Gb... it will wait - if I get to it at all.
3. I have read your documentation - it is not always clear. Many solutions on the wiki don't work for everybody - but you try them all in vain anyway - a real time waster.
4. Overscan. When I read the manual and then encountered the problem I did not equate that as the issue, but a resolution being too low.... There is no overscan adjustment or anything else like described on my TV remote - I'll try the xrandr shown on page 42 tonight when I get home. If it doesn't work out - no problem - I will just trash it all and stop the leak and aggravation. I may anyway - as I really don't have time to keep goin back to flash chips and play with minutia - and I have already exceeded allowable set up time for this platform. I need to get on with MY projects.
Thanks for the tip
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:49 am

So I went home and tried your suggestion
xrandr –output HDMI-1 \
–transform 1.05, 0, -35, 0, 1.05, -19, 0, 0, 1
I copied this from the manual.
It failed and said "unrecognized option '-output'"
Referring to xrandr --help I found it wanted two dashes for output and transform - not one as indicated in the manual on page 41.
xrandr -–output HDMI-1 \
-–transform 1.05, 0, -35, 0, 1.05, -19, 0, 0, 1
It failed "unrecognized option 'transform
There is no option to adjust my AOC envision monitor.
My C2 video is wrong and I cant easily get to menus because I can't see them - the manual's overscan fix did not work and in it current condition certainly not usable or acceptable, and I'm out of options it seems...So its not working
My Module 5 isn't recognized in the gui, but is in lsusb. So it is not working
My C0 board doesn't boot with video for love nor rubles, on HDMI using the same cable that the C2 uses, so its not working
My 3.5" touchscreen for the C0 doesn't work either.

Now what
muddy

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Strange, the transform option is there. Try running:
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --transform 1.05, 0, -35, 0, 1.05, -19, 0, 0, 1

As far as I know -- gets transformed in a utf character by word, and you can't copy/paste it in a terminal.
Note that you will need to adjust the values for your monitor.
For module 5 - what's the output of:
ifconfig -a
iwconfig

For c0 - show us the current contents of /media/boot/boot.ini please. What resolution do you intend to use with it?

For the 3.5" lcd did you run the installation script found in the 3.5" lcd forum subsection? (by @fourdee)
mad_ady

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 am

I typed in the xrandr command - I did not copy and paste it - I can't copy and paste it - the C0 is not connected to anything for me to copy from. I do not have Ethernet - just wireless - can't ignite the board, can't ignite wireless. I have tried the command as you typed it two days ago with no success before I reported it to you. SO that is not the solution to my weird Linux responses.

I did NOT load the LCD driver/installer for the 3.5 Touchscreen - because I cannot start the C0! So how am I supposed to install the utility. It has no video output and you sold me the wrong eMMC for it. Trying to start it by installing a C0/C1 image on the microSD card did not work either (lights indicate it is working with kernel loaded but no output. So I have no value whatsoever from the C0. And it does not fit in the case with the LCD as advertised - that case is suitable ONLY for the 85mm cards like the C1 or C2 and has no mount holes for the 58mm C0. I stopped touching the C0 days ago - I gave up on that when I found the 16GB eMMC DID light up the C2, after wasting incredible amounts of time trying to install the wrong image and have only been using it to try to adjust the C2 since.

At this point - I am so discouraged - I have spent over $300 and nothing to show for it except a loss of 28 hours of effort and a couple of flashing lights, and a Linux install that I cannot see the menus from. Following exact instructions from the manual - eg. xrandr instructions in the overscan section results in Linux errors. Essentially, it seems I need a brand new monitor to solve the overscan problem, as my monitor has no such adjustment available, and I cannot implement the xrandr command as per the Linux standard instruction.

While your efforts to support may have been valiant, I did not find you were able to solve any of the issues. I did not embrace THE ODROID DEVELOPMENT project, I wanted to use your board for MY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT. If it had been successful we would have deployed a pair of these animals to each of our assessors for field work. Now, I really don't have the time to keep throwing at it with no end in sight. I packed it all up last night - getting ready to ship it al back for a refund unless you have something earth shattering to tell me.

C0
16GB eMMC Amazon not compatible $35.95
LCD Touchscreen Amazon cannot start $44.00
Odroid C0/C1/C2 case Amazon not compatible $12.12
Heat Sink Amazon not used - no C0 $4.26
Connector Pack Amazon not used - no C0 $4.22
microSD Amazon not used - no C0 $13.65
Odroid C0 Amazon cannot boot $26.00
HDMI cable Office Max replaced needlessly $21.95
3000 Mah Battery Ameridroid not used - no C0 $12.95
TOTAL C0 cost $175.10 $175.10

C2 Odroid C2 Ameridroid Cannot fix overscan
5V Power Supply Ameridroid - cannot read screen
Odroid Module 5 Ameridroid to install anything and
Case Ameridroid does not respond correctly
to standard Linux xrandr $80.80
128GB eMMC Ameridroid $82.40
Total C2 cost $163.20 $163.20
TOTAL ODROID PROJECT COST $338.30

plus 28 hours of work time and time writing back and forth with you and checking the wikis and manuals too.
Boot.ini

My project requires the C2 to act as a mothership to the C0 - so they both need to work. Neither is.

As of last night, I have already taken everything apart from my bench, put everything back in their static bags and boxed it all up.

I am not going to unpack it all and put the eMMC on my Win machine copy the boot.ini and send it to you, (more time) because you will say - try this, try that - and I did that 512 times with the eMMC chip with a C2 image you sold me for the C0! which was NEVER going to work...... And I will be wasting more time with no truly visible solution for either board - if just dealing with the overscan is a problem -( it cannot implement the Linux command properly ) I'm done with the C2 before we even start on the C0. I have a business trip next week that will keep me away from this, when in fact I intended to use this project on this trip, so I am out of time for the moment. Unless you have a specific USEFUL recommendation, I will not play with this board anymore - just return it to Amazon and Ameridroid this weekend before their return dates expire.

I am extremely disappointed in your product, as the hype makes it sound really good.... "just plug it into the C0/C1/C1+/C2"
NO - installer first - but if you cant see the boards output - you cant install the installer. Oh so use the HDMI! It Doesn't work - even using the same cable and monitor as I am with the C2 which is displaying fine except for the overscan.

I have been messing with computers and electronics since Hollerith cards. Before CPM, before DOS. I have built tons of computers - I am CompTIA A+, CompTIA Security+, CISSP and CISA and work in cybersecurity. If I am having this much trouble with your product - one of two possibilities - 1. I am trying to make a defective board work right and it never will, or 2. The board design /integration needs more work at your end. Your documentation needs tweaking - as I told you in an earlier post - then you insisted that it was good - but just look in the manual at the overscan xrandr command as an example - IT IS WRONG! TWO DASHES are needed - NOT ONE!

After $338 I cant match the performance of a $3.- Arduino Mini pro and I haven't heard anything that solves my issues.
muddy

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:38 am

In this case I think you're making the right call to rerurn the products, though they don't seem defective.
Compatibility isues are to be expected when there are so many vendors on the market.
The vast majority of users managed to get the boards working, though some fought with incompatibilities more than others

I have built tons of computers - I am CompTIA A+, CompTIA Security+, CISSP and CISA and work in cybersecurity.

I too have several certifications in networking and security, but they haven't helped me with regards to odroids
mad_ady

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:51 am

I can't fathom how this can be....
I can see you have been down this road before - and you give up... because you can't solve the problems either - just tell me = "That's strange...." and make irrelevant suggestions. Dealing with Hardkernel has been a fiasco.

I will have to write reviews with this story attached - I'm sorry, but I feel pretty screwed. Not one piece works right.. some of it my fault - some of it yours.
You need to tell people they need newer monitors or they will have a problem. Just to save people time and frustration.
You need to make your manual accurate - because they are wrong. see just one example above.
You need to update your shopping pages to match compatible products - because they are wrong. See my list of incompatible product above.

I cannot recommend your products to anyone - and in fact will have to retract some messages I sent when I first received this gear and thought it would all work. I will say that you do answer your support wiki religiously, unlike some other companies. That doesn't mean you could help me - we have gone around and around for a few days with no results - and your latest suggestions are off base.... (did you install the installer on the C0 to put in the LCD) - irrelevant when you cant start the C0. It is all such a mess, I really wanted this to work.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 am

I'm done - thanks.

Amazon return forms - completed
muddy

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:03 am

First I want to say I''m sorry you have so much issues with these products, and I can understand your frustrations, although frustrations rarely leads to any problem solving.

I'm gonna try to point out some problems, and they might not all be in your favor, but please don't be offended by it, I'm just trying to make some statements.
Still sorry upfront if my answers seem harsh to you.

muddy wrote:Interesting..... I had bought 2 eMMC cards - one for the C0 and one for the C2. The Amazon description of the 16GB eMMC (fulfilled by hardkernel) that I bought for the C0 says it s for C0/C1/C1+ and C2. I had been trying to get it to light up my C0 all weekend with no success. (Tried 512 video combinations - all 8 resolutions, hpd on/off, shorted on or off - disableUHS - on this board's suggestion - all without success thinking that was the problem - and seeing so many people report the video problem).

I put that eMMC into the C2 because I fragged my 128GB eMMC bought for the C2, and the C2 lit right up again. So apparently the preinstalled Ubuntu chip hardkernel sent me that I just wasted the whole weekend trying to ignite is NOT for the C0, but for the C2, and needs a flash to set it to the C0 - in which case I didn't need to buy a pre loaded chip - did I?

As far as I understand you bought the 16GB eMMC from Amazon and NOT from HardKernel, still you try to blame HardKernel for Amazon mixing up your stuff.
I don't think that is fair. Do you really believe Amazon has any clue what they are doing? You even say
muddy wrote:the 16GB eMMC (...) that I bought for the C0 says it s for C0/C1/C1+ and C2.
so it says it's for C1-Series AND C2 at the same time. Which can't be true. The C1-Series is a armhf 32bit board, the C2 is a arm64 64bit board, the architecture is very different. While the physical media works for both board series, the OS does not and I would say Amazon is simply to stupid to know the difference.
Since HardKernel doesn't own Amazon, why do you think HardKernel is to blame for the mix up made by Amazon?
I don't even think Amazon is an official reseller from HardKernel, and another company is selling HardKernel products over Amazon.
If you check on amazon.com for ODROID C2 you see it's sold by a company called "NKC Electronics" so it's clearly NOT from HardKernel.

Besides that, as they ARE physically compatible, reflashing is the easiest way to make sure the correct image is on the eMMC.
This was suggested to right on the start by @odroid
If you would have done that, as it was suggested, it probably would have saved you from a lot of frustration.

muddy wrote:Now I have 2 chips - neither of which helps me - one working is too small - for the board it works on - and the big 128Gb needs to be reworked - and I worry it gets corrupted too easily - if it was corrupted just by setting the video wrong ....

Normally the eMMC modules are rather solid, and can take a lot of read and write operations, unlike an SD card, which can wear down more quickly.
Still eMMC same as SD cards are flash memories, and most OS do handle flash memories differently than regular HDDs.
Means, write operations are cached in memory until a certain criteria is met (time, or amount of data) after which it's actually written on the chip.
This is the same for Linux and Windows alike.
Linux has an easy way to "solve" this. Just type "sync" and it forces the system to write open operations to the disk.
So if you make a change on a config (like the boot.ini) don't reboot or unplug the device directly, but rather type "sync" and wait until the prompt returns (should only take a second or less) and then you are save to reboot or unplug the devices.
This applies for USB thumb drives as well.

muddy wrote:SO I set the resolution to all kinds of things....the display is always the same. Boot.ini does not seem to affect the resolution at all. I cannot see the top line of the screen, the sides of the screen etc. The image is just too big. I tried setting things at 760, 1080, 1280 etc... always the same size. The "Display" settings says the monitor is not recognized brand/model and so it does not allow any changes.

The default Ubuntu image can be very confusing in my opinion. They have /boot/ which houses some of the files of the boot process, but it's NOT the boot partition of the ODROID, instead it's /media/boot/ which can be quite confusing in my opinion and I guess it can lead to trying to alter the wrong boot.ini in the process.
Then again, you are not actually suppose to alter the boot.ini anyway, since it's overwritten each time there is an update for the boot.ini, instead they have something they call persistent boot.ini or something similar, which is another file that you should edit, and then manually start a sync process, so your individual settings are restored when they deploy a new boot.ini, sadly that's something rarely anyone knows about or recognizes, and it's rather confusing in my opinion.
(Luckily I don't use the Ubuntu image and don't have to deal with this).
Anyway, while boot.ini may not fix your "overscan issue" it should change the resolution of the monitor on boot. If it does not change the resolution, then something is wrong, and you might edit the wrong file.

Anyway, solving the overscan issue can be rather tricky. Your best shot is if your TV/Monitor supports this. The way how to fix this, is badly described, both on the forums as well as in the manual.
I found a good description once, but I lost it and I can't find it again, but here's what you can try.
Don't try to find an "overscan" button. Normally there's a button "P. Mode" (picture mode), or something similar, what the button does is normally switching between 4:3 and 16:9 resolution, you might have seen this already if you're watching old 4:3 movies and they are stretched to left and right, that's normally when you try switching the TV to 4:3 mode.
Sometimes this is in an overall menu, where you can adjust picture mode and you don't have a button on your remote for this.
Anyway, at the same spot where you can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 there are often other modes, like "original site", "stretch" "fit size" all kind of options normally no one ever uses. One of these options MIGHT fix your overscan issue.
Sadly not all TVs can do this.

There's another way to fix this, and it pains me to say that the solution presented by @mad_ady won't work and is probably due to a mix up with XU4 and C1/C2.
The XU4 has the ability to change the resolution on the fly. It can use xrandr to manipulate the picture, change resolution and also does the transformation @mad_ady was talking about.
The C1-Series as well as the C2 does NOT support xrandr.
Alone the beginning of the command xrandr --output HDMI-1 is an indication that you're doing something wrong.
There is no output HDMI-1 on neither the C1-Series nor the C2. This output device only exists on the XU4.
The C2 is normally referring to something like "default" and the C1 is always referring to a LCD device, no matter what you have connected.
So this entire xrandr thing won't work at all on neither the C0 nor the C2 that you have.

BUT there is something else that "should" work, if your TV does not have the capabilities to fix the overscan issue.
The solution to this can be found "somewhere" in the C1 Forum, sadly I don't know it out of my mind, but it's there somewhere and I'll try to find it.
Just let me explain how it works:

The C1-Series and the C2 can only create a framebuffer screen on boot, therefore it used the boot.ini to define the size of the framebuffer it is suppose to create.
There is a script that is started at boot as well, that will check the the site that was given in the boot.ini and will create a framebuffer of that respective size.
You can find this script under /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top if you want to take a look at it.
Here you can see it uses a tool called "fbset" to set the framebuffer and depending on the size of your boot.ini values.
There are some other things that are set, all under /sys/class/graphics and if I remember correctly there is one file that represents the drawing size within the framebuffer.
Means a buffer is generated 1920x1080 and normally it's also drawn in 1920x1080 but there is a way to tell the system please don't draw from point 0,0 to 1920,1080 but only from 0,10 to 1920x1070 for example.
Sadly that's the part I don't remember correctly but I believe this can be found somewhere in the C1 forum.
I remember I've done this myself in the past and noticed that if you do it later by hand it's working as well, but every time you switched screens it went back to it's original values.
Anyway I'll try to find it.

muddy wrote:I plugged in the ODROID module 5 - lsusb sees it as a Realtek 8812Au - but nothing appears in the Network menu - no way to set it up, configure my security settings and use it. Plugged the module 5 into my windows machine - perfect. Telling me to do sudo apt-get updates/upgrades etc...is good advice, but not without the internet connection from the module 5 which isn't recognized. I don't have a wired connection.

As lsusb shows the Realtek 8812AU that should mean the device is supported by default, still it could be that for example the firmware is missing.
Try plugging in the wireless device while the desktop is already running (not on boot) and use sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog to determine the status of the device.
I personally use a hidden 5G wireless network and I added it to my network configuration as it won't be "found" anyway.

But I've seen similar issues with the Module 4 and 5 that it won't find network, or that it find networks but can't connect to it.
For me only my 5G network is working stable, 2.4G doesn't seem to work all the time, also other networks are not found, similar as it is for you.
If you predefine the network you want to connect to it might actually work for you, rather than waiting for it to be found (but yes I know that means you have to fix the Overscan issue first to be able to configure the network).

I fully agree with you that the wireless support is not the best though, but stuff like this is often also hard to fix.

I have a couple of DKMS modules in my repository that is available on my Debian images, which allows to install alternative WIFI drivers for both the WiFi Module 4 and 5. I found at least the drivers for Module 4 to run much better than the stock that come with the Kernel.
Since I haven't used my WiFi Module 5 that much yet, I can't say what is working better, the DKMS module or the stock driver.

I have to agree with you on certain topics, especially about the missing "good" documentation.
The existing documentation is outdated and is not updated regularly as it should be.
Other information is hard to find, or sometimes is even inaccurate as you already noticed, which can quickly lead to frustration.
Luckily the members of the forum are often quite helpful, and with a bit of patience most issues can be solved.
But it doesn't work out for everyone, and not all issues can be solved, still we all keep trying :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 am

I really do appreciate you taking the time to write such a long and detailed response here. No offense taken..... I operated from the naïve perspective of a first time buyer who expected the literature to be accurate and the board ok. The literature is not accurate - manuals, ads - what a mess. You sound like you know what yo are doing. Hardkernel needs to hire you to put this mess in order and write them a clear concise manual that is accurate.

Unfortunately Odroid's C1 C2 compatibility suggestion came after my marathon sessions on resolution, and led to the C2 only discovery. My patience was already tested after 512 resolution attempts/. I did not have a C2 yet to test it on.... I relied on the Amazon ad - and the assumption that Hardkernel would know what their resellers are selling, how they are selling it and should have discovered this. I cannot be the first and only person who bought the chip for a C0. As a newbie unfamiliar with the product how was I supposed to know that the information supplied was incorrect. Why hasn't HK looked at the site and corrected it...now? Seems they have dropped the ball.

Seems you can't rely on Hardkernel - look at the manual for the C1 on page 41 describing overscan solution that you indicate is only valid for XU4. The same solution appears on page 40 of the C2 manual. You appear to be right - they clearly are not appropriate solutions, as XRANDR threw Linux errors when the correct syntax for the command was used - ( note the wrong syntax in the manual - no double dashes - as well as the command being invalid in the C series. Wow!) Thank you for that insight. Advertising literature needs to suggest that you better have a newer monitor or you may have this overscan problem and may or may not be able to solve it before you are 80. In my case - monitor is a no.

I plan on returning the C0 to Amazon, with the eMMC - I'm giving the C2 to a kid down th street, I can't use it with my monitor. I did see something in the C1 forum as you described - but at the time it was a secondary unrelated issue - the framebuffer - I recall some guy change that and it just lit up for him - I don't recall the headline - I was still charging on the resolution attempts and didn't even know I would have an overscan problem if the C0 ever lit up so the story was just an interest item at the time - not a retention item. I then loaded a fresh C1 Ubuntu image to a microSD card with a new Ubuntu image for C1 dd onto it, then I tried the Kali ARM for the C1 - (xzcat kali-$version-odroidc.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=512k). nothing. Lights worked indicated boot w kernel - but no video action.. I appreciate your effort to help - but I am not in the mood at the moment to go wandering through the C1 board stuff at the moment. Maybe tomorrow, but I have already printed out Amazon return labels for the C0, the 3.5 touchscreen, the eMMC chip etc. Without the C0 the C2 is of no value to me - the C2 was supposed to be the mothership that communicates with the attack weapon (C0) - I am in information security and this was going to be used in penetration testing. No C0 - no need for a mothership - it is just a novelty that isn't working right... I'm not buying a new monitor to make a $35 board work..... so I may as well give it to someone who CAN use it. I took a lickin already.. no changing that - now the question is do I want to risk another time block on what has proven to be a minefield of misinformation. A $338 dollar mistake.
muddy

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 am

Found the entry and tested it on the C2 where it seems to work: viewtopic.php?p=118897#p118897
Although the results may vary I guess.
There are tons of more options you can do under /sys/class/graphics/fb0/
but this should help with overscan.

I suggest you should consider ODROIDs first a "hobby" before you try to make a project out of it.
Try to poke around get used to the eco-system before you try to get your project started.
Try go get familiar with what others did and how they approached it.

Even if your project doesn't work out (for whatever reason) there are plenty of good things you can do with ODROIDs, and maybe it's easier to start slowly and then approach a project.

The C1 and C2 are mainly used for video processing, as they have very capable VPUs that can decode videos even in H265 and with the C2 even up to 4k@60Hz.
They can do other things, true, but I'd suggest take it slowly one step after another.
The start might be hard, but the learning curve is great.

When I started with ODROIDs I was new to Linux, never had to do with embedded systems, had no clue how compiling or porting works..
By now I offer my own images for nearly every board HardKernel ever made and ported hundreds of games and applications to ODROIDs, offering far over 1000 packages for many different purposes.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 am

That was the plan....learn Odroid by playing with Ubuntu before setting up Kali. As far as just relegating it to a media media player.. ive got that covered.... i dont have a need for another $150 paperweight. I will look at the post.... but odds of me unpacking the stuff for another try are pretty low. I have determined the platform is pretty sketchy.... maybe worth someone's time... prolly not mine. I really do appreciate your efforts to help..... please don't put any more into it.... I don't want it to be in vain. I'm not likely to pursue this further. .I go more than the extra mile, but after ten I become a thresholder.... and won't take another step. The protection mechanism that makes me shut down at 2 am. Cheers!
muddy

Unread postby odroid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 am

I had a biz trip and I couldn't access the forum almost two days. Sorry about that.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am

out of curiosity I checked it out meveric .... it reported my screen size
I then tried his cat command
which doesn't find - overscan.sh
so I ran cat > overscan.sh to create it.
(ran same experiment with vi)
then populated the file with:

!/bin/bash
echo 0 0 1379 767 >sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis
echo 10001 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale

it saved to desktop - I ran cat overscan.sh to review and it all looked good.

cd into /bin and then executed: cp overscan.sh to /etc/init.d - no complaint so far.
when I ran
sudo update-rc.d oberscan.sh defaults
I got...
insserv: overscan.sh is not an executable regular file, skipped!

same condition persists - don't know what I'm doing wrong there....
funny odroid is on the recommended thread talking about this solution but never recommended it.
Last edited by muddy on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:14 pm

All this on the c2 I tossed the C0 as a waste of time because I had NO video under any of the 512 settings 8^3 8 resolutions 3 parameters hpd, disableUHS, and shorting out the HDMI casing to the USB casing. The HDMI cable is good - it works on the C2. So I'm only interested in looking at that for the time being - and barely any interest left in the C2 as I can't seem to correct this yet.
muddy

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:35 pm

muddy wrote:out of curiosity I checked it out meveric .... it reported my screen size
I then tried his cat command
which doesn't find - overscan.sh
so I ran cat > overscan.sh to create it.
(ran same experiment with vi)
then populated the file with:

!/bin/bash

it saved to desktop - I ran cat overscan.sh to review and it all looked good.

cd into /bin and then executed: cp overscan.sh to /etc/init.d - no complaint so far.
when I ran
sudo update-rc.d oberscan.sh defaults
I got...

same condition persists - don't know what I'm doing wrong there....

The overscan.sh is just a way to "automate" it for starters you can experiment with:

directly to see if it works correctly. If that works you can put it into the overscan.sh file.

(btw: you probably want to adjust these to not start at 0 0 as it's the upper left corner and you said the top most line wasn't visible, you probably have to experiment a little until you find the correct values, that is when you put it into the overscan.sh)

The reason why it's complained about:
is due to the fact that Linux expect the file permissions to be set for "executable".
It want's to know that the file is not just a text file, but actually code it's suppose to execute.
Therefore you can do something like chmod +x /etc/init.d/overscan.sh
the +x flag stands for add eXecutable flag to the file.
After that Linux should no longer complain about it (btw: thats standard Linux, and not unique to ODROIDs).

muddy wrote:funny odroid is on the recommended thread talking about this solution but never recommended it.

@odroid already said he was on a business trip, also there are so many boards and so many different topics it's hard to keep track on things like this.
But as you can see normally there are others as well that may remember it ;)

muddy wrote:All this on the c2 I tossed the C0 as a waste of time because I had NO video under any of the 512 settings 8^3 8 resolutions 3 parameters hpd, disableUHS, and shorting out the HDMI casing to the USB casing.

Well as we already stated, the C0 could never work with the eMMC you got, since it was for the C2 and the C0 can't boot this OS.
Still flashing a different OS on the eMMC or an SD card should solve this. Just make sure you don't connect eMMC and SD card at the same time or else it might try to boot from the wrong device.
I know it's a little fishy to say, but if you are more experienced it's rather easy to see which OS is for which board.
The C2 uses Kernel 3.14 while the C1-Series uses Kernel 3.10 normally that can be seen on the boot folder, even if not, the first line in the boot.ini should say if it's for the C1-Series or the C2.
But yes, things like this are easy to miss for beginners.
It can also be seen by the name of the dbt file where it either says: meson64_odroidc2.dtb or meson8b_odroidc.dtb, but once again probably easy to miss for beginners.

muddy wrote: The HDMI cable is good - it works on the C2. So I'm only interested in looking at that for the time being - and barely any interest left in the C2 as I can't seem to correct this yet.

The C0 should work as well with the correct image.
I naturally always advertise my own images rather than the ones from HardKernel (ODORID C1-Series Debian Jessie Server image, ODROID C1-Series full Desktop Entertainment Image, ODROID C2 Debian Jessie Server image) but still, the images from HardKernel (and others) should work fine as well.
There are some nice projects around the C0 like: https://www.bluemind.org/gamodroid-c0-o ... etrogaming
So don't be discouraged as others got it to work as well.
meveric

Return to Introduce Yourself