Newcomer from western Canada

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Newcomer from western Canada

Unread postby Chex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the SBC/maker board scene. I've been interested and following them here and there for a little while. I just received my XU4 and have a Pi3B and Arduino Uno on the way. Looking to build some home automation units amongst other cool tinker projects. Still new to Linux/Ubuntu and starting to figure parts of it out, as well as starting to learn C++ and hopefully some other languages to build with and troubleshoot problems I'm sure to run into. Glad to see the power in this Odroid XU4, hopefully next is something similar with HDMI 2.0!

I'm sure I'll be posting some snags I run into being new to all this, but I've had and built PC's since the days of my old 233mmx w/ATI Rage 128 + 3DFX Voodoo(1).. So hardware wise I'm pretty solid, it's the software side of things that I'll loose more hair to.

Currently wishing this XU4 could boot from SD while the eMMC card is in.. isn't that WHY there is a switch in the first place? To select?
Working on using the new Android 7.1.1 CM14.1 build on the eMMC and making a few 16GB and 32GB sticks with various other builds for media/emulation/GPIO use.

I've been reading threads and have been happy to see an active helpfull community building here! Keep up the great work!
Chex

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid UX4

Re: Newcomer from western Canada

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 am

Chex wrote:Currently wishing this XU4 could boot from SD while the eMMC card is in.. isn't that WHY there is a switch in the first place? To select?

It should boot from the media selected by the switch. However, uboot typically instructs it to load the kernel from a specific volume by UUID. When more than one volume has the same UUID, it picks the first one it finds (eMMC).

The simplest solution is to change the UUID on either the SD card or eMMC along with the boot.ini on the same media.
https://github.com/mdrjr/5422_bootini/b ... ot.ini#L13
root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859

Note that future updates may overwrite boot.ini requiring the change to made again.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Re: Newcomer from western Canada

Unread postby Chex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:47 am

Thnx, I will hit this up shortly, hopefully with some success!
Chex

ODROIDs: Odroid UX4

Return to Introduce Yourself