MC1/Solo SD card

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

MC1/Solo SD card

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I was reading the post here: https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/04/19/hardkernel-now-offers-48-odroid-mc1-solo-board-for-clusters/

It started me thinking that the MC1 is different from other Odroids in that its primary function will be networked operation. I think it would add value to the product if a pre-flashed PXE boot sd card was provided with the device. The sd cards can be purchased in bulk by HardKernel and they do not need to be high capacity nor high performance (2GB/class 4 should be more than enough) since all they will only be used for is a first stage network boot loader. The result would be that each MC1 will network boot out-of-the-box. Those needing advanced or unique functionality can simply re-flash the included sd card. Its also has the added benefit of demonstrating the board is functional at unboxing.
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Re: MC1/Solo SD card

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 pm

That's a nice idea. At least an OS image...
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: MC1/Solo SD card

Unread postby odroid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 pm

We've been purchasing 8GB and 16GB MLC type UHS-1 micro-SD cards from Sandisk over five years ago.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145629644581
As far as I know, only Sandisk supplies the more reliable MLC type micro-SD at reasonable price these days.

4GB TLC Class 10 seems to be still available from Sandisk. But they discontinued 2GB card several years ago.
Anyway, we will check the price of 4GB card since the PXE boot doesn't care the number of the write cycles.
My concern is the price gap between 4GB and 8GB will not be so obvious.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to The Ideas