Car PC based on XU4 and Android (VIDEO)

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Car PC based on XU4 and Android (VIDEO)

Unread postby Opilki Inside » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:03 am

Hey guys,

Just want to share with you my Car PC implementation that was based on Odroid XU4 with voodik's build of Cynogenmod 12.1

I tried to fully integrate it with my car, so steering wheel buttons are connected, microphone, back-up camera. All this was installed into BMW 530i 2003.

Opilki Inside

languages_spoken: english russian
ODROIDs: XU3 Lite

Re: Car PC based on XU4 and Android (VIDEO)

Unread postby sonicxtacy02 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 am

what did you use to integrate the steering wheel controls. I have the Joycon EXR, but it doesn't work as well as it did with my ODROID-X2
sonicxtacy02

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X-2

Unread postby Opilki Inside » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:54 am

I used Resler's IBus to USB device, but this is very specific to BMW. You can find link in the description to this video on YouTube
Opilki Inside

languages_spoken: english russian
ODROIDs: XU3 Lite

Unread postby hvb83 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Nice build and nice video man, thanks! I'm actually thinking of building something like this myself. Based on the XU4 running Android also. Would you perhaps consider elaborating a bit in this topic on what hardware and software you used to get it all up and running? The video is great, but I find myself going through these topics after a couple of days or weeks, once I'm further down in my investigations. It helps so quickly see what items were used for a particular problem.

I didn't have the time to watch the entire movie yet, something I can hopefully do tonight. So I'm sorry if this answer has already been given in the video, but by now I think I've figured out most of the parts I'll need, but so far I haven't found any info of how people use it as a carkit; eg. connecting your phone through bluetooth, dialing numbers and answering calls through the carpc and using the microphone and the speakers connected to that.

Something like this: Image

Is the "carkit" part something that is already build into Android, or do I need to install separate software to do that?

Also, my experience with the Chinese android units in terms of audio quality is that the other party has a hard time understanding what I'm trying to say. Something a better microphone might improve, but some sort of DSP'ing on the microphone's end might improve. Does anyone know of an app that could do that?
hvb83

languages_spoken: English, Dutch, German
ODROIDs: None yet

Return to The Ideas