x86 architecture

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

x86 architecture

Unread postby Guenlay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello,
I'm building a home used LAN cloud server ( data sync, media host etc.) for my tablet, phone, PC, laptop and other's, I feel like that IO operation of ARM is very slow, does ordoid consider about using x86 architecture in the future? the latest 22nm atom is pretty cool.

Thanks,
Guen
Guenlay

languages_spoken: english, chinese
ODROIDs: Odroid C1

Re: x86 architecture

Unread postby mdrjr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Hello,

We don't have plans for anything x86 based.

I don't see IO on arm being slow.. XU for example as USB3.0.. that quite a nice amount of bandwidth... the eMMC can do near 200Mbytes/s readings and 50mbytes/s write...
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby Matt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Unfortunately the Exynos 4412 (the SoC used by the X, X2, and U2 ODROID boards) didn't have USB3.0 or any type of SATA support. The only ways to get data moved were via USB, SD card, or eMMC (the 10/100 NIC used the USB bus). The eMMC bus was actually pretty fast. I think buying a 16GB eMMC module for my X2 was one of the best choices i made in accessories for it. I can boot into Arch Linux ARM in less than 10 seconds (it takes less than 4 seconds to boot through the kernel, and systemd gets everything running and into the display manager in the next 6 or so seconds). It takes at least 5 seconds longer with a fast SD card.

With the ODROID-XU, USB3.0 gives you 5Gbps IO to your choice of peripherals. Even better than that, there are two separate USB3.0 controllers on the board (and, I believe, two separate USB3.0 channels into the SoC, so I think the CPU can take full advantage of all that bandwidth). Unfortunately, I don't yet have a USB->SATA adapter to test the throughput available. I have a 120GB SATA3 SSD that I am dying to hook up to my engineering sample of the XU to run some tests, but I'm waiting for the adapter to get here (I have one on order). In any case, I think the XU will be the perfect ODROID board to use if you want to set up a small home server that also has the processing power to do some serious backend tasks.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)
Matt

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Unread postby RafaelKa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:36 am

@hardkernel

check AM6410ITJ44JB
its very nice 15W AMD APU A8-6410 for ~$15-$20(current price) chip which can be placed on 2.5"HDD sized(70x100) PCB ;)
PS: Lenovo has $350 HTPC with this chip since Nov. 2014.
RafaelKa

languages_spoken: russian, german, english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby mike1234 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Guenlay wrote:Hello,
I'm building a home used LAN cloud server ( data sync, media host etc.) for my tablet, phone, PC, laptop and other's, I feel like that IO operation of ARM is very slow, does ordoid consider about using x86 Best Architectural Firms in Dubai in the future? the latest 22nm atom is pretty cool.

Thanks,
Guen

Follow these simple steps to build your home used LAN cloud sever I also made by these: https://gigaom.com/2014/03/01/how-to-se ... ge-system/
mike1234

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby alidahera » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Guenlay wrote:Hello,
I'm building a home used LAN cloud server ( data sync, media host etc.) for my tablet, phone, PC, laptop and other's, I feel like that IO operation of ARM is very slow, does ordoid consider about using x86 architecture interior design companies in Dubai in the future? the latest 22nm atom is pretty cool.

Thanks,
Guen

Could you please let us know which scenario is slow? It would be great if you can make a small sample application to show the slowness.
alidahera

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:10 am

Guenlay wrote:the latest 22nm atom is pretty cool.

Turns out the Atom has a recently discovered critical flaw that prevents it from even booting. This is now documented officially by Intel:
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/atom-c2000-family-spec-update.pdf

AVR54. System May Experience Inability to Boot or May Cease Operation
Problem: The SoC LPC_CLKOUT0 and/or LPC_CLKOUT1 signals (Low Pin Count bus clock outputs) may stop functioning.
Implication: If the LPC clock(s) stop functioning the system will no longer be able to boot.
Workaround: A platform level change has been identified and may be implemented as a workaround for this erratum.
Status: For the steppings affected, see Table 1, “Errata Summary Table” on page 9
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Return to The Ideas