ODROID-C1+

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID-C1+

Unread postby rooted » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:06 pm

No it's kernel source, you have to clone the c1 kernel source and manually add those lines (they will likely not be on the exact same line number) but add them beginning under the same code, git commit, git push, and create a pull request. I would do it but I am preoccupied at the moment and have to work tomorrow (it's 11 P.M my time).

It would also be beneficial to compile the kernel and make sure the changes work before creating a pull request.
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby tk501 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Thank you for your effort.

In looking at these cec header and c files, I find the c1+ does not have many of the include header files in the ubuntu distro.

For example, some that I would have considered normal such as mm.h, mutex.h, irq.h and spinlock.h are not included anywhere in 14.04 v1.5. Not sure why and I am happy to try to build up the header files used by installing them but I have been this route before and it usually ends in failure as there is always some other dependency or included header that causes problems.

So I understand, is it the case that the c1 has all these files and the hdmi-cec drivers included?

While I started by trying to use cec-client, I am happy to use amlogic cec tx drivers, in fact they would reduce overhead so for my purpose having the ability to use these drivers to issue commands to hdmi-cec devices is great and I would not use cec-client.
tk501

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby tk501 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks @rooted

I missed your earlier message.

I am not asking you to do my work for me so thank you very much for the direction.

As I have no experience compiling a kernel, I will look at this as a learning opportunity.

Now to do some reading on how to do this properly.

That said, it seems to me Odroid should have included this code as they have it and a working cec capability is a main update from the c1 which as we know had problems in this area. Odroid even promotes the working cec as part of the c1+. However, I am impressed with their development, support and how they listen so my point is not a criticism rather I wonder if anyone from Odroid who is reading this would assist in getting these drivers properly into the c1+ as in the end this is a benefit to my project but an even bigger benefit to Odroid and this update could be included in v1.6.
tk501

Unread postby rooted » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:28 am

@mdrjr handles most of the code updates and he is just busy, he always listens and tries to take suggestions.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby tk501 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:37 am

Good to know, thanks.

I have not been on this forum much as I only received my c1+ last week but compared to other product forums, the members here seem more helpful and active and the Odroid staff seem to be better listeners and more responsive. If I have it right, this is a good combination and hope to build my project on the Odroid c1+ instead or Rpi or SR Cube.
tk501

Unread postby tk501 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:43 pm

I received a message from Odroid asking me to post my requirement on the forum and want to be clear as I may have confused with my reference to cec-client and libecec:

- using the ubuntu 14.04 v1.5 Odroid distro on C1+
- need to tx a few basic (AS. Power ON, Standby) cec commands to my hdmi attached tv
- saw that cec-client and libcec were included in distro
- tried to use cec-client but no device driver found
- informed that there is hdmi cec Odroid driver but was not present on my system
- understand Odroid cec driver may be or should be in c1+ kernel and may have to recompile which I will do if that is required but have no experience and also worry that my ability to update/upgrade may be affected

If there is an Odroid tx cec driver available for the C1+, I am thrilled to use it especially as it is likely more efficient than libcec for my simple purpose.

My requirement is to find or obtain the Odroid cec driver for this purpose.
tk501

Unread postby mdrjr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

tk501 wrote:I received a message from Odroid asking me to post my requirement on the forum and want to be clear as I may have confused with my reference to cec-client and libecec:

- need to tx a few basic (AS. Power ON, Standby) cec commands to my hdmi attached tv
- informed that there is hdmi cec Odroid driver but was not present on my system
- understand Odroid cec driver may be or should be in c1+ kernel and may have to recompile which I will do if that is required but have no experience and also worry that my ability to update/upgrade may be affected

If there is an Odroid tx cec driver available for the C1+, I am thrilled to use it especially as it is likely more efficient than libcec for my simple purpose.

Even if I merge that patch you guys discussed here on the thread it won't make libcec magicly start working.
libcec code is also required to make it understand that CEC adapter.

TL;DR: You need kernel patch + libcec patch to make it work.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby tk501 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:07 pm

@mdrjr Thank you for the response.

I actually do not want or need libcec to work on c1+ as I prefer the Odroid driver but understood the user could not access it, however, I now understand @rooted and others are making changes to allow use of this kernel function.

My apologies for starting a wasted discussion regarding libcec. My confusion started as I saw cec-client on the Odroid distro and incorrectly thought it worked.

I will follow the instructions posted by @rooted on viewtopic.php?f=112&t=16023 and advise and also cease posting on this thread as the other seems the best for this subject.

Thank you all for the terrific response, if this results in exposing cec functionality to c1+ users, many may benefit and yes this is much superior to using libcec. I expect the Odroid cec driver will be more efficient and an excellent feature of the system.

You are an impressive team of people and an excellent support element for Odroid products to the benefit of all. I look forward to contributing as I gain experience with the c1+...my thanks to all.
tk501

Unread postby rooted » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:19 pm

mdrjr wrote:
tk501 wrote:I received a message from Odroid asking me to post my requirement on the forum and want to be clear as I may have confused with my reference to cec-client and libecec:

Even if I merge that patch you guys discussed here on the thread it won't make libcec magicly start working.
libcec code is also required to make it understand that CEC adapter.

TL;DR: You need kernel patch + libcec patch to make it work.

Like he said, not looking for libcec implementation. Just a way for users to send CEC commands manually.

I patched the kernel, he will compile and test it. By looking at the code addition it should definitely work.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mildmay48a » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:09 am

mdrjr wrote:
olivierm wrote:Hi,

I am considering a hifi shield.

A question that might sound stupid, but is there a plastic case for the C1+ + hifi shield ?
I would like to put it on my hifi system (controling a nas which has my music library on it), but I don't see it doing its stuff without a proper casing. I'm a geek but there are limits ;)

Thanks

Sadly we don't have a case that fits both, board + hifi shield

Hi,
I've used a CAMAC clear transparent case (the same as I've used for a Raspberry PI) but you will need about four extra spacers.
The boards drilled wholes are identical on pi 2 and odroid c1+
Attachments
20150909_183800.jpg
RPI Left & Odroid C1+ with Hifi Sheild on the Right
(176.15 KiB) Downloaded 84653 times
mildmay48a

ODROIDs: c1+

Unread postby sarathssca » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:37 am

Hello,

If i am to setup a mini system with odroid c1+ for
- watching movies from external USB hard disc,
- browse internet , HD youtube videos,
- all above on HD LCD TV as monitor,
- connecting internet lan cable to it and using it as wi-fi hotspot for connecting other devices like mobiles to internet in home,
what accessories do i need to get along with odroid c1+?
what input devices ie. keyboard mouse/touch pad, and how to enable wifi hot spot, what device to get for that ?
Also can we mirror a android mobile or laptop screen to display its contents on TV using odroid c1+?

thanks and regards
S Sarath
sarathssca

Unread postby Hominidae » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:31 am

...get a standard C1(+) set (board, case, PSU, HDMI-Cable, SD-Card, HK-remote) plus the WiFi-module 4 (which supports hot-spot-mode) and then apply the openelec image from wrxtazy and you're good to go for all but the remote screen push to TV.

Edit: I actually don't *know* if routing is enabled when using LAN and WLAN Hot-Spot mode...maybe you need a special kernel for this, but this shouldn't be a problem IMHO
Edit2: regardless, the WLAN-Performace will be limited, as this is not a router grade setup....easiest is to combine C1 with a mobile/mini-router which supplies WAN/Internet and WLAN-AP side. I use this, while on the road: http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/ ... R710N.html (running DDWRT on it).
Hominidae

ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Unread postby sarathssca » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Also one more question, like , can i use any of the available wireless keyboard and mouse for Odroid c1+, or are there any specific supported ones that we may take?

thanks and regards
S Sarath
sarathssca

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:16 pm

sarathssca wrote:Also one more question, like , can i use any of the available wireless keyboard and mouse for Odroid c1+, or are there any specific supported ones that we may take?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Many vendor's wireless keyboard and mouse could work if they are compatible with standard USB HID device, I am playing with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, it works flawlessly.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby metalpick » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:44 am

Well,

So I bought 3 of the odroid c1+'s form Ameridroid. Welp the postman decides to leave the package unprotected in the weather while this hurricane is a passing through. Needless to say I tried to let the board dry as someone from "ameridroid" said so. I had a feeling it really wouldn't make that much of a difference as the box was filled with water when i opened it. Any who, boards are dead and I am out of my money and the odroids =/. The guy from AmeriDroid suggested that I post a comment here to see if anyone might have an idea on how I can get any of the boards to work. I plug them in, I get no lights no nothing, its just dead. Thanks for any help or any ideas, pretty much about to give up on these but i figure i would ask....
metalpick

Unread postby rooted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:48 am

metalpick wrote:Well,

So I bought 3 of the odroid c1+'s form Ameridroid. Welp the postman decides to leave the package unprotected in the weather while this hurricane is a passing through. Needless to say I tried to let the board dry as someone from "ameridroid" said so. I had a feeling it really wouldn't make that much of a difference as the box was filled with water when i opened it. Any who, boards are dead and I am out of my money and the odroids =/. The guy from AmeriDroid suggested that I post a comment here to see if anyone might have an idea on how I can get any of the boards to work. I plug them in, I get no lights no nothing, its just dead. Thanks for any help or any ideas, pretty much about to give up on these but i figure i would ask....

No you contact USPS and tell them what the postman did.

The package was uninsured?
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby metalpick » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 am

I don't think it was, or at least who ever emailed me from Ameridroid didn't know, I figure it should of been for a $125 order, but i doubt it or I'm sure they would have mentioned something about it.
metalpick

Unread postby rooted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 am

Edit: wrong post.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby odroid » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:12 pm

metalpick wrote:I don't think it was, or at least who ever emailed me from Ameridroid didn't know, I figure it should of been for a $125 order, but i doubt it or I'm sure they would have mentioned something about it.

Post any questions with more detail description about your C1+ board in this forum.
viewforum.php?f=117
And we will help you.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby metalpick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:05 am

Is there anyway to troubleshoot the board to see if it is getting power? Like i said I received my odroid and it was in a box filled of water. Post office wont do anything, and the sender cant help me out, so I am pretty much screwed.
metalpick

Unread postby rooted » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:50 am

metalpick wrote:Is there anyway to troubleshoot the board to see if it is getting power? Like i said I received my odroid and it was in a box filled of water. Post office wont do anything, and the sender cant help me out, so I am pretty much screwed.

You posted on the U2 forum, post on the C1 forum so everyone can see. Someone will definitively have some diagnostic ideas.

For one have you tried powering by both MicroUSB and barrel connector?

Have you tried placing one of the devices in a bag of rice and left it for 24 hours?

Place one in an oven on warm for a few hours.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Fabry » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 am

@metalpick
Try to bury the C1 inside a bag of rice for a few days.
It 'a cheap way to completely dry a wet electronic board.

The rice is hygroscopic and it will absorb all the water and the moisture present.

Sorry, I have not seen that rooted has already suggested it
Fabry

languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: ODroid C1+

Unread postby sputnik » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:46 am

Contrary to popular belief, for the most part water shouldn't harm an UNpowered circuit board at all. Not counting sensitive things like microphones or speakers, but ic's, transistors, resistors, caps, etc., once dry should be no problem at all. I was once an electronics tech at a (THE) major musical instrument manufacturer, they came out with a synthesiser with a circuit board that had such high impedance triggering circuits that they had to literally hand wash them with soap and WATER to get them to function properly (that nightmare died quickly in more ways than one I'm sure :mrgreen: ). Of course they were allowed to dry thoroughly before being powered up. And in those days almost every circuit board was washed in a vapor degreaser, a major contributor to our disappearing ozone layer today. But the point is they were submersed in, was it carbon tet? I forget, liquid, dried instantly in air.
Besides "sensitive to water components" corrosion is another thing to look for, particularly in the power plug, in fact I would examine all of the plugs especially. That's my bet if not a power supply problem, etc. Corrosion.
My 2 cents...
sputnik

languages_spoken: english, some spanish

Unread postby pankaj » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:29 pm

hi,

I am pretty new to the Linux, and want to build the binaries using your github link of snappy ubuntu core, but when i put command make oem the following error comes:-
1. cd oem && snappy build -o /home/pankaj/Downloads/snappy-odroidc-master .
error /bin/sh 1 snappy not found
error 127
2. i installed snappy using sudo apt-get install snappy
error :- Error initializing: Unknown option -o

Please guide.

Thanks & Regards,
Pankaj.
pankaj

Unread postby alexgoaga » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:54 pm

Hey guys, I have to ask maybe the stupidest question of them all.
I have an Odroid C1 and I flashed on a 32GB Sandisk sd card Odrobian-1.2-final-s805 OS and it works great versus Android or Ubuntu builds.

My question is : How to program something like C++ or how / where to start ?. I will buy C Tinkering Kit for ODROID-C1 soon.

For my first project i will like to know how or what i need to access the board to make a simple wifi / network acceese car to move back and forward. Is there a book or something that i can read to see a guide where to start ? I dont even know how to access c++ on linux.

Thank you for your time,
Alex
alexgoaga

Unread postby odroid » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:01 pm

odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby alexgoaga » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:39 pm

This "GCC/G++ compiler" can be found also with a sudo code? I don't have a Lubutu software center to find it and install it :( Thank you.
alexgoaga

Unread postby odroid » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:02 am

Our image has the compilers by default.
Type "gcc -v" to verify it.

BTW, open a new thread on the C1 sub-forum.
This thread is not for QnA.

This thread is locked.
odroid
Site Admin

Previous

Return to News