Odroid N2+ laptop.

Share here your ideas for new projects
mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Re: Odroid N2+ laptop.

Post by mctom »

Out of curiosity, what OS would you run on this? That's Pentium 166 with 16MB of RAM. That rules out any modern Linux, I think.

Also, from that few random photos of documentation I think it should be pretty easy to dump an SBC in there. My friend is working on FPGA based LVDS driver that should work with that LCD.
The keyboard, which looks completely custom to me, would be an actual challenge, to reimplement its controller and connect it to SBC somehow (preferably without emulating the whole USB HID stack). I saw someone posting recently about catching keystrokes via GPIO.

Yup, despite clearly it's built like a tank, the manual says it should be stored and transported in the original packaging :lol:
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

Smaller version of my portable pc based on an Odroid and a 10" monitor may be neato. I think I'd fix the keyboard in place and put vents and power/usb behind the keyboard too so nothing shows when closed. Just don't see how I'd get a trackball in the little guy.
61T2Hzc93TL._AC_UY1000_.jpg
61T2Hzc93TL._AC_UY1000_.jpg (142.53 KiB) Viewed 472 times
71TUSzeHINL._AC_UY200_.jpg
71TUSzeHINL._AC_UY200_.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 472 times

L67GS
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

L67GS wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 am
Just don't see how I'd get a trackball in the little guy.
Duh! I just got a 10" or so touchscreen! Maybe I'll put my XU4 in one!

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Post by rooted »

mctom wrote:Out of curiosity, what OS would you run on this? That's Pentium 166 with 16MB of RAM. That rules out any modern Linux, I think.

Also, from that few random photos of documentation I think it should be pretty easy to dump an SBC in there. My friend is working on FPGA based LVDS driver that should work with that LCD.
The keyboard, which looks completely custom to me, would be an actual challenge, to reimplement its controller and connect it to SBC somehow (preferably without emulating the whole USB HID stack). I saw someone posting recently about catching keystrokes via GPIO.

Yup, despite clearly it's built like a tank, the manual says it should be stored and transported in the original packaging Image
I would carefully remove and save the internals then implant the OGA internals or possibly a C4, it's all about that case and hopefully the display and keyboard.

mctom

Post by mctom »

L67GS wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:52 am
L67GS wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 am
Just don't see how I'd get a trackball in the little guy.
Duh! I just got a 10" or so touchscreen! Maybe I'll put my XU4 in one!
That's a nice briefcase and that's gonna be a nice portable machine. :)
Great idea to place vents next to the keyboard rather than anywhere outside.

For me the biggest challenge is to find a decent keyboard that fits the application. What's your idea?
rooted wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:47 pm
I would carefully remove and save the internals then implant the OGA internals or possibly a C4, it's all about that case and hopefully the display and keyboard.
Would you plant OGA internals because of a battery life, or minimal heat?
I was considering OGA board inside Psion for this very reason.
But in this metal beast of a machine, I'd rather see a whole cluster, to justify its enormous size somehow. MC1s or N2s, all mounted on a single heatsink.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

mctom wrote: Would you plant OGA internals because of a battery life, or minimal heat?
I was considering OGA board inside Psion for this very reason.
But in this metal beast of a machine, I'd rather see a whole cluster, to justify its enormous size somehow. MC1s or N2s, all mounted on a single heatsink.
Because what I would be doing with it wouldn't require anything higher spec.

mctom

Post by mctom »

And the original 12V 2.2Ah battery would probably last a week for terminal tasks, if it wasn't 20 years old already.

Alright, I decided to bid on this thing, nobody seems interested so I might end up winning it for $12.
Backlit keyboard bought me.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
L67GS (Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:20 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:58 pm
For me the biggest challenge is to find a decent keyboard that fits the application. What's your idea?

I looked a bit on amazon out of curiosity, small ones are easy to find, thin ones on the other hand are rare. This little querty keyboard is only 11 x 5.2 x 0.8 inches.
714keFgClfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
714keFgClfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (138.93 KiB) Viewed 446 times
I tried one of those rubber keyboards on an industrial PC I made at work but those are miserable to type on.

mctom

Post by mctom »

That might just be me, but keyboards in that form factor ought to have PgUp and PgDn as a separate keys above left and right arrow.
I think a larger keyboard would fit to your build, that's 13.4" across the briefcase.

If I win this terminal I'll have to live with rubber keyboard. ;) It surely is industrial grade, dust proof and all. It has been manufactured somewhere after 9/11, mind you. Heck, it looks like it should fit a Hummer computer cradle.
That's why I'm thinking about building a cluster in it. Rarely one needs to access the cluster directly, and in any other circumstances it may just sit anywhere connected to Ethernet and +12V that is becoming the standard voltage around my house.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

Why do I keep doing this to myself.

Make a custer in rugged case AND run Popcorn Linux on it!

That may easily become the world record for a portable machine with the most CPU cores :lol:

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Some of the video systems at my new work use a tiny qwerty keyboard, I'm going to snap a picture underneath and see if they're still in production. They're like 10" wide max, perfect for a portable mini PC.

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:Some of the video systems at my new work use a tiny qwerty keyboard, I'm going to snap a picture underneath and see if they're still in production. They're like 10" wide max, perfect for a portable mini PC.
The Logitech K380 is about 10 inches wide, it's Bluetooth though.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148NPH9I/re ... PDHVRM09Z7

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

The robots were very naughty today, I didn't have time to go look at one of the keyboards.

mctom

Post by mctom »

I'd appreciate if you do. After all I trust industrial solutions more that Logitech Disposable Consumer Goods Inc.
Now my Logitech mouse is nearing servicing again. I'd totally mount a military trackball instead :D

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

I won the terminal, paid a little over $18 including shipping.

I was really surprised and pleased with the DPD delivery guy calling me and asking if I was home. Today's Saturday, for the record.
This guy had been so nice and solid ever since he started working in my area, I'll have to write a letter of commendation to his manager.

Anyway, he carried the parcel as if it weighted a ton. I'm not nearly as fit as him so I almost dropped it when I got it.

This weighs 9,4kg. I train with 14kg barbell, now I can safely sell it and lift this bastard instead.

What a great purchase. Despite the seller's description, both latches actually work, just need thorough restoration and lubrication. The rest of the case could use a paint job as well.
All side connectors are present including their dust proof plugs. Screen and keyboard are protected against dust and moisture with a rubber seal all around the display. In overall, I think the machine latched shut should be IP56 or something. I'd definitely could leave it outdoors for a week.

The mysterious blue circle next to the display is not RFID after all, it is a socket for Dallas Key, also known as iButton. Basically 1-Wire interface, probably handled by software.

Keyboard is just as expected, not that pleasant to use. Rubber buttons with tact switches beneath. I'll see how it works for me after 1 hour of use, but it probably should be avoided for everyday or prolonged use.
IMG_20211127_152326.jpg
IMG_20211127_152326.jpg (291.46 KiB) Viewed 355 times
IMG_20211127_152340.jpg
IMG_20211127_152340.jpg (301 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Looks great for when you need a computer, but at the same time need to put a few nails into the wall and don't have a hammer handy...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
L67GS (Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:14 am)

rooted

Post by rooted »

That terminal looks awesome, I wonder what the guts look like?

What is the resolution? Does it work?

mctom

Post by mctom »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 am
Looks great for when you need a computer, but at the same time need to put a few nails into the wall and don't have a hammer handy...
Not entirely true. When I moved into my apartment and had almost no possessions, I used Celeron heatsink as a hammer. It was surprisingly good. Hammers don't need to be heavy for all applications, apparently. ;)
rooted wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:09 am
That terminal looks awesome, I wonder what the guts look like?
What is the resolution? Does it work?
My plan is to see if it works first. I'll need a HDD with DOS, probably, as it doesn't have any removable drives. I'll have to borrow IDE/USB converter from my dad, and dig up some 40GB ATA drives that I still should have somewhere.
The resolution, however, is 800x600, it was written in the documentation on some other auction.
I also suspect half of the weight is a retro lead-acid battery. Fortunately I have a scrap yard nearby.
It doesn't work as of now, the battery is dead, and the power socket is of a type I have never seen before (all the sockets are circular with pins in all sorts of circular patterns). I will try to run it by connecting PSU in place of the battery.
I'll post photos of internals if you're interested.

In parallel, I'm in process of learning the history of the unit. There are some faded handwritten markings on it that were meant to be completely removed before scrapping. I asked my friend who had something to do with the military and he's trying to decode it.
For now the baseline theory is the terminal was used in a vehicle. "UA00298" totally looks like a registration plate of a military vehicle that is either a passenger or off-road car. The new registration plate system was introduced in mid 2000, hence relatively low number.
Another marking, "Łącz.-L." suggests it was used by a communication unit in land forces, unsurprisingly.
There are more, and expert is trying to decipher them. ;)

If anyone has a good idea what else can I do with this terminal, don't hesitate to mention it. :)
The keyboard is so bad, and the screen is expected to be so bad, I really think it's gonna be a portable cluster.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

This is so incredible I couldn't resist sharing some photos right away.

The base of the computer appears to be machined form a single block of aluminum! :shock: See photos.

On the right and back there are two user-accessible compartments, sturdy doors with hinges locked by flat head screws. One was confirmed to house two PCMCIA ports, another one has places for optional ports. None is installed and all are glued shut with silicone or something, for water tightness. That one was very hard to open, probably never opened before.
IMG_20211128_130946.jpg
IMG_20211128_130946.jpg (277.65 KiB) Viewed 337 times
The battery can be accessed from the bottom by the means of 8 screws. It is sealed lead acid brick, 12V 2Ah, not so heavy comparing to the rest, so probably dried out long time ago. It's completely flat, shows some 20mV on the output.
The battery compartment may easily fit 3x3 matrix of 18650 instead. That would yield some 57Wh compared to 24Wh of the original one.
So, given we are discussing an N2+ laptop, that would be some 9h of maxed out CPU. ;)
IMG_20211128_130227.jpg
IMG_20211128_130227.jpg (349.07 KiB) Viewed 337 times
The interior of a laptop is quite easily accessible after removing 10 hex screws from the bottom. This separates computer base from keyboard, hinges and display part. Frankly it's much easier to open than any modern laptop, with plastic latches everywhere.

The keyboard, with what appears to be WB's custom built driver, with some TTL chips and AT89 MCU. Another ribbon escapes this board to drive LEDs, most probably.
IMG_20211128_132106.jpg
IMG_20211128_132106.jpg (341.59 KiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG_20211128_132138.jpg
IMG_20211128_132138.jpg (492.29 KiB) Viewed 337 times
The base is where the main guts of the computer sit, which unsurprisingly are passively cooled. I mean, is 9kg of heatsink enough? Yes it is.
IMG_20211128_133602.jpg
IMG_20211128_133602.jpg (588.27 KiB) Viewed 337 times
First of all, the HDD is indeed missing and it's not supposed to be a HDD at all. There is a place for CF card, indeed smart choice for a sturdy machine. I am lucky to have one 4GB CF card, but unfortunately I don't have a CF card reader anymore, so fun and games stop here for now. Got to get one.
Secondly, there is 128MB RAM rather than 16MB as I was made to believe. That may be actually enough to run TinyCore and poke around. Alas, I do not have a PCMCIA network adapter either. I used to have one...
On the left side, I think the CPU is somewhere on top, under RAM. There are two boards stacked together. I didn't disassemble it yet.
On the left side bottom, there is a PCMCIA host. Both ribbon cables were disconnected from it, presumably a different build option with "PCMCIA disabled".
There is a power supply module closed in a metal box on the bottom.

I connected 12V PSU right to the battery leads, with battery removed of course. The computer starts with some 1,5A peak current draw. The BIOS splash screen reveals it's a Digital Logic board, a Swiss company that I have already heard of - they're making space grade electronics, so makes perfect sense to equip military as well.
Unfortunately, Bios ignores keystrokes and goes straight ahead to telling me there is no OS detected.
Keyboard works, nevertheless, as pressing any key just repeats the same line.
IMG_20211128_150428.jpg
IMG_20211128_150428.jpg (208.76 KiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG_20211128_150623.jpg
IMG_20211128_150623.jpg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 337 times
So, there seems to be a pre-made industrial/military computer in there. If I prove it working, I saw a computer with similar specs for $600 on eBay, lol.
I'll dig into that later on. First things first, I'll need a CF card reader.
Attachments
IMG_20211128_133620.jpg
IMG_20211128_133620.jpg (702.34 KiB) Viewed 337 times
odroid (Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:23 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

This predates USB ports, I take it?

mctom

Post by mctom »

My guess is this might be the MSMP5 series board. Certainly looks like on the bottom view from p.133.
If this is true, it may have USB capability, but not USB boot. ;)
Also, if I cannot access Setup (probably disabled on purpose), booting from anything else is out of question.

Ultimately I want to test this board and then get rid of it immediately.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

I knew it was awesome by looking at it, machined aircraft quality aluminum is extremely durable.

800x600 is great for what I would use it for.

Thank you for the pictures of the internals, it's a super interesting device. The battery will be easy to replace fortunately.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Any 12V battery would do, but given I'll fit some other computers in there, voltage doesn't matter that much. Most likely I'll have to convert it anyway.
Sad thing is, the battery compartment is 62 x 210mm. 18650 battery is 18mm in diameter and 65mm long.
Even though I could easily fit 3x3 batteries in there, I'm not likely to find brackets shorter than 70mm. :/
I strongly prefer brackets as I often used salvaged batteries from old laptops, so I think I'll have to use 6 x 18650 instead. That's still a lot of energy, and its main purpose will be UPS action rather than computing on the go.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

You could use 18350 or 16340 but I'm with you on 18650, although when there is room I much prefer Samsung 21700.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yeah 18650 is suboptimal but the most cost effective to me. I've got plenty of those.
My idea is to switch governors to powersave whenever AC supply is unavailable, so I can move the cluster without interrupting or losing work, or survive a few hours blackout.

CF card reader should arrive today. I'll try running TinyCore on it, or at least FreeDOS later today.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

Okay, now I realized I don't know how to proceed.

I have a Pentium MMX machine that has only CF card acting as HDD (I assume).
No FDD, CD-ROM, nor any way to connect any of these.

Both TinyCore and FreeDOS are distributed as installation media images. I doubt dumping any of these on CF card will work, as it will have a medium specific formatting.

So, what would you guys do to test this laptop, given you have only an access to HDD?

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

1. Connect the CF via reader to a virtualbox VM (passthrough USB).
2. Boot from virtual CD and install to physical disc.
3. Move CF back to target system when done. 4. Profit
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
mctom (Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:15 am)

mctom

Post by mctom »

Excellent idea, thanks!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

The DPD delivery guy will never cease to amaze me. He popped in at 9PM, on a bicycle. Who knows what happened to his van.
mad_ady wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 am
1. Connect the CF via reader to a virtualbox VM (passthrough USB).
Not entirely sure what you meant by "passthrough USB" in this case, though. I created a VirtualBox raw volume on CF card instead, and installed TinyCore on it.

I ran the machine, after POST i got a blinking cursor.
After a minute, text appeared:

Code: Select all

SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD
Oh, good, I thought to myself, I didn't install the CF card upside down (It doesn't appear to have any physical keying).
Then, after another minute, the line expanded into:

SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD 2014-10-06 Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
And the blinking cursor in new line.

It constantly draws 17.3W so I think it must be doing something.. I'll leave it running for an hour and see.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

In virtualbox, on the bottom bar, if you click the usb icon you get a menu of usb devices connected to the host. Click on one and it will get disconnected from the host and get attached (passedthrough) to the guest instead.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Well, yeah, but won't that make the CF reader seen as a USB device on guest OS?
I think neither TinyCore nor freeDOS are USB aware, not out of the box at least. The point is to fool guest OS into thinking my CF is a HDD.

Anyway, TinyCore doesn't work, got stuck for an hour on SYSLINUX.
I noticed that during installation in VirtualBox it recognized CF as /dev/sda. I don't think this is the correct way to address the CF on the target machine (I expected /dev/hda).
Never mind, I'll try with freedos tomorrow.

Should I create some specific type of partition table (MBR, GPT) on CF? Could that be an issue?

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

It should be able to partition a disk on its own.

There are ways to expose a block device directly to virtualbox, if you want to try: https://superuser.com/questions/495025/ ... irtual-box

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yes, that's pretty much what I did, found some other tutorial. It's a pity VirtualBox does not expose this option in GUI.

Anyway, I installed FreeDOS and the result looks suspiciously similar.

Loading FreeDOS (blinking cursor)
And it stays like that for 20 minutes.

I think I'll make one last attempt and zero out first 10MB of CF before I install anything. Optionally I'll try some other system if I find anything that may actually work.
Something tells me BIOS on this machine isn't exactly standard. It may have been customized to accept only certain software.
It is odd that pressing F2 won't let me enter Setup, for example. Unless it's a non-standard keyboard that had its own driver on the original OS, which makes the whole quest futile.
OR the machine is borked and that was the reason to get rid of it!

Anyway if nothing works, I'll deem the guts a total loss and sell them in "unknown state" for any price, right after I backward engineer display and keyboard / mouse.
After all, running any OS on it was meant to be an exercise for raising market value of the guts.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

To hell with that, I gave up trying to boot this thing. Disassemble process will probably help me understand why it didn't work.

So I did, I started gutting this thing.

Boy what a mess of a device this is. I unscrewed everything that I could. Most of the things were straightforward, with some notable exceptions.
For example, PCMCIA board was glued with silicone before mounting with 14 screws. That proves the machine was made water tight, even if PCMCIA door is open and card plugged in - sure it will mess the operation of a card, but the water won't go deeper into the machine.
IMG_20211204_155812.jpg
IMG_20211204_155812.jpg (479.77 KiB) Viewed 121 times
There is only one part that I didn't manage to remove yet - a neatly machined brass box with a few passive components, right at the power input of the machine. It cannot be removed before I unscrew the connector sticking out. I need a 17mm wrench that is about 1mm thick to undo this. Or a 17mm socket with really thin walls.
I have no clue what this box is all about - if that was a relay, this could have been magnetic shielding to prevent compromising the device with a strong magnet. But this looks like nothing more than a passive filter of some sort. Could this be they cared about EMC so much?
Not to mention, just outside that box there is a cap and another common mode choke, definitely the last minute change. Oh yeah, it happens in the industry.
IMG_20211204_172713.jpg
IMG_20211204_172713.jpg (542.68 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Other than that, here are a few random observations:

- The computer is Digital Logic smartCore-P5 with 166MHz MMX processor, as deduced earlier. Enhanced temperature model and passive heatsink, that was directly mounted to the bottom of the machine. Sticky thermal tape definitely wasn't doing its job anymore.

- This SBC was sitting on a "motherboard" of some sort, with a rectangular hole exposing heatsink to the botoom of the computer. That board managed connectivity, RTC and stuff like that.

- For any reason they had to design a shim that goes between SBC and motherboard, to capture display data. There is a dedicated footprint for LCD, but unpopulated. I think they might have changed the LCD type at some point, and in the end I might have some other resolution than 800x600.
ds90cf363 present on this shim at least confirms the display understands standard LVDS signals. I'll be able to use off-the-shelf HDMI to LVDS converter.
IMG_20211204_153559.jpg
IMG_20211204_153559.jpg (340.85 KiB) Viewed 121 times
- There is another thick cable going into the display half of the machine - that has some 16 colorful wires. The only thing that I know of is the 1-wire socket next to the display, that would require, um, 1 wire. Today, when I separated both halfs I noticed the display half is much heavier. I'll have to look into that half as well, there might be something interesting in there.

- Keyboard and mouse signals go all around the "motherboard", and some of these traces go into the aforementioned thick bundle of wires. I think the keyboard could have been locked by the lack of iButton key. That explains why I couldn't access BIOS settings.

- I opened up the power supply and it looks terrible. I think it could have been.. Hand-soldered :?
The row of 1R0 resistors on lower left deserve special recognition - each of these are actually two resistors stacked.
I'm really glad I'm getting rid of this one.
IMG_20211204_173526.jpg
IMG_20211204_173526.jpg (540.55 KiB) Viewed 121 times
In overall, I think this should easily house 7x MC1 Solo, and XU4 as a master of them all.

The batteries would go where batteries go, and on top of that I'd add:
- 8-port 1G LAN switch
- HDMI-to-LVDS converter
- Keyboard and mouse decoder (I'll have to crack it first)
- Battery balancer and charger
- 5V Buck for SBCs, 12V boost for backlight
- Power switch logic
- XU4 interface for measuring battery voltage

I think all this should fit somewhere..
IMG_20211204_172902.jpg
IMG_20211204_172902.jpg (558.09 KiB) Viewed 121 times
And here are the guts. Honestly, the most useful of all that is a IDE to CF converter. The data sockets are very neat, but the pinouts are so unusual I don't think I'll ever need them. I'm looking for USB and Ethernet replacements for them.
IMG_20211204_180927.jpg
IMG_20211204_180927.jpg (597.01 KiB) Viewed 121 times

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I carry a Harddrive instead of a thumb drive, Linux is very tolerant to being yanked out of one machine and stuck in another.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

This has been a fun little "that would be cool" thread to follow", yesterday I started thinking how nice it would be to have a scope and logic analyzer on my bench at work.
Taking my stuff would leave my personal lab without so that's out of the question.
Then this thread popped into my head and I started wondering if I could stuff a H2+ or H3 (pure speculation) with a good size battery into one of those little cases I found and have room for a small USB scope (there's always room for a tiny logic analyzer). This thread is getting way more serious now.

mctom

Post by mctom »

I AM dead serious. I already got first two MC1 Solos that will go in there. ;)
And I'm thinking whether I should put N2+ as the master of the crowd, but I haven't decided yet. It is kinda big. Would be nice to have a master in the same architecture as the rest, just in case I want to fiddle with outrun or Popcorn.
N2+ also works on a different voltage.
But for the sake of the topic, N2+ is the possibility! :)
L67GS wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:11 am
Then this thread popped into my head and I started wondering if I could stuff a H2+ or H3 (pure speculation) with a good size battery into one of those little cases I found and have room for a small USB scope (there's always room for a tiny logic analyzer).
Don't you think you'd be better off with something less dissipative? I imagine H2 has this huge heatsink for a reason. Displaying scope data won't require that sort of power, I think.
And about scope and digital analyzer hardware, I'm sure you could find some open source hardware, if you narrow down your expectations. For 20kHz you may use a sound adapter. For 30 logic inputs, you can use GPIOs (with appropriate protection of course).

I was thinking how to handle the power supply. If I had 8x MC1 Solo, each may take as much as 2A, I'd need 16A buck converter. I do have a prototype of "mctom's Extreme Buck" capable of 10A, fortunately. :)
Anyway, I think I'll try to squeeze 9x 18650 in there. The brackets are 5mm too long to fit in there, but once they arrive I'll see if they really have to be 10mm longer than the cell itself.
I'm toying with the idea of capacitive charge balancers - less dissipative, and offer perfect balance by design, regardless of component tolerances.
L67GS (Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:05 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Regarding a scope - back in the day I got this: https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/development/xprotolab, which even worked hooked up to a C1, so for hobbyists, you don't need a H2...

rooted

Post by rooted »

mad_ady wrote:Regarding a scope - back in the day I got this: https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/development/xprotolab, which even worked hooked up to a C1, so for hobbyists, you don't need a H2...
You get any use out of it?

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:33 am

Don't you think you'd be better off with something less dissipative? I imagine H2 has this huge heatsink for a reason. Displaying scope data won't require that sort of power, I think.
Absolutely, but I would like X86 because it would be useful to run an early windows, like XP because I have some very proprietary software that would be incredibly useful for other things in my life. That little oscilloscope is pretty neat, I'll have to look and see what my options are if I proceed. I've had pretty good luck with hantek oscilloscopes.

mctom

Post by mctom »

L67GS wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:10 am
Absolutely, but I would like X86 because it would be useful to run an early windows, like XP because I have some very proprietary software that would be incredibly useful for other things in my life. That little oscilloscope is pretty neat, I'll have to look and see what my options are if I proceed. I've had pretty good luck with hantek oscilloscopes.
Perhaps that XP era software would happily run on box86?
Unless it relies on interfacing with outside world, then I wouldn't bother trying.

I admit I've never seen H2+ in real life and I imagine it to be quite tall. That's why my guts tell me here must be some other way. ;)

I have virtually no experience with very low cost digital oscilloscopes. As a poor student I got a 1980s analog scope made in People's Republic of Poland, to complete my guitar amp, a part of my Eng thesis.

That device mad_ady linked would suffice for my hobby audio project, but may be too limited for some applications. The input voltage range is from -18 to 20V (but should withstand some more). It may be expanded with 10:1 probe.
The 2MSPS claimed is shared between both channels.
The external digital interface has some sort of protection. There's a Zener diode that should protect USB port in case of supplying a signal above 5V. Atxmega might be toasted, though.

Again, it all boils down to what are your typical use cases.

Meanwhile I've found some nice replacements to one of those wacky military serial port jacks:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/4000768112975.html
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003475390450.html

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I have a display! But it's untested and the digitizer could be a problem, it's driver board terminates to 3 wires and goes to a db9 jack so hopefully it's serial data that I can work with.
Edit: 4 wires and they do look like data, pins 2,3,4,5.
20211206_154100.jpg
20211206_154100.jpg (276.98 KiB) Viewed 75 times
20211206_154143.jpg
20211206_154143.jpg (606.47 KiB) Viewed 75 times

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

You get any use out of it?
I mostly played with it, and used it at the office to measure voltages because I lacked a multimeter. Also used it to find UART pins on a broken camera (it has a UART decoder so I can get the boot messages).

It's handy to have, but I don't really do digital circuit debugging.

Regarding H2 and XP - note that H2 can only boot UEFI OSes, so you'd need a VM for XP.

mctom

Post by mctom »

L67GS wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:47 am
I have a display!
So cool!
Wow, the direct LVDS input is also a nice touch. You'll also need a simple driver board for this.
The question is if you have worked out pin order in that LVDS jack. There may be 4 or 5 pair of differential signals, may be tricky to find without any hints.
L67GS (Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:50 am)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

mctom wrote:
I admit I've never seen H2+ in real life and I imagine it to be quite tall. That's why my guts tell me here must be some other way. ;)

I have virtually no experience with very low cost digital oscilloscopes. As a poor student I got a 1980s analog scope made in People's Republic of Poland, to complete my guitar amp, a part of my Eng thesis.

That device mad_ady linked would suffice for my hobby audio project, but may be too limited for some applications. The input voltage range is from -18 to 20V (but should withstand some more). It may be expanded with 10:1 probe.
The 2MSPS claimed is shared between both channels.
The external digital interface has some sort of protection. There's a Zener diode that should protect USB port in case of supplying a signal above 5V. Atxmega might be toasted, though.

Again, it all boils down to what are your typical use cases.

Meanwhile I've found some nice replacements to one of those wacky military serial port jacks:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/4000768112975.html
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003475390450.html
The H2/+ isn't tall at all really.

You can make a nice oscilloscope with a blue/black pill and a few components.

Martin is also the developer of the excellent android app Hscope which will work with this project.

http://hscope.martinloren.com/HS101-oscilloscope.html

Or a few more components for a nicer two channel:

http://hscope.martinloren.com/HS102-oscilloscope.html

Return to “The Ideas”