Share here your ideas for new projects
rebelrider.mike
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odroid N2+ laptop.

Post by rebelrider.mike »

Hi folks,

I'm new to single board computers, but I'd like to build something like a laptop or netbook. Android based I suppose. I've seen lots of different ideas out there, and I'm not fully decided on a design yet, but I'm thinking of gutting an old power tool box and using that as the case.

I think first though, I'll need to collect all the parts I want and see what they'll actually fit in. I've looked around at a lot of different boards, and I think the N2+ is the one I want to go with. Should be a fun project however it turns out. :)
Mike

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Odroid N2+ laptop.

Post by mad_ady »

I'll be honest, the coolest sbc-laptop design I've seen is this: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sadly the N2 is bulkier than xu4, but I'd like to see keyboard/battery/screen "kvm-like" unit (called the dock) which looks like a laptop and an external sbc which provides the brains and gets power from the dock. The dock can have high quality screen/materials and provide some sort of holder for the sbc on the back of the screen (though because of wheight, it might be problematic).

This design would be bulky, but would be versatile and upgradable in the future (assuming a replaceable battery).

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

Hi!

That's an excellent idea, although probably way harder than you think.
N2+ has all its significant output ports on one side, which makes it a perfect fit. You could also substitute stock heatsink with aluminum laptop base. That would be awesome!
I guess you could sacrifice IR receiver that is on the opposite side, or easily extend it through wires - it should work just as well
. Audio jack should be directly connected to lappie speakers so it's not a big issue it's on the opposite side.

N2+ also works with a wide voltage range, about 7-16V if I'm not mistaken - so it may be supplied by the batteries almost directly - with some sort of undervoltage cut-off, that is. 4x 3.7V battery packs sounds perfect, and if it was 4x18650 you may count on 40+Wh, which may supply N2+ alone for 5 hours minimum, under full CPU load!

I was considering something simpler, like reusing netbook case and designing new motherboard with N2+ "compute module" of some sort, if there was one available. I'm not that handy with tools you know. ;)

Oh, and on the final note, I'd suggest using Linux over Android - the latter to me is touch screen oriented, and with keyboard and touchpad in place, I don't see it as a optimal fit.
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

I think 4 fully charged 18650 would be dangerously close to overvoltage, good batteries such as Sony VCT5a don't generally sag when fully charged which is around 4.21 volts on most chargers. 16.8v is too much I believe and the relatively small boot current compared to four 25A batteries wouldn't be enough to make it safe.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Make it three, then. I'm used to deal with salvaged components, and 18650 were in all laptop battery packs that I have disassembled so far. ;)
rooted wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 am
and the relatively small boot current
What do you mean? 18650s can easily provide 20A, and for this purpose 3A will be more than enough.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

mctom wrote:Make it three, then. I'm used to deal with salvaged components, and 18650 were in all laptop battery packs that I have disassembled so far. ;)
rooted wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 am
and the relatively small boot current
What do you mean? 18650s can easily provide 20A, and for this purpose 3A will be more than enough.
Relatively low boot current from the N2, not the batteries.

I'm saying since the N2 doesn't pull much current, it won't make the batteries voltage sag enough to a safe level when using four high drain 18650.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Ah, I get it now! I was googling the battery boot current for a while, thinking I was missing something. :D
No, I wouldn't ever trust current demand would drop the battery voltage to acceptable level. If N2+ cannot tolerate 17V then 4x18650 is out of question. Like I said, I took the N2+ voltage ratings off the top of my head.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rebelrider.mike

Yeah, I would use 18650s for the battery. Gotta be careful though. The cells recovered from laptops often have a max current of 500mA give or take. You find the 20A cells in power tool batteries. Laptop cells tend to have more mAh that power tool cells though.

Good to know though, that the N2+ can use 7-16V. A 3s pack would be 7.5-12.6V. A simple BMS would cut off the cells if they got all the way down to 7.5v. So I could use the N2+ without a voltage regulator. Though a regulator for this project could be pretty small and inexpensive.

I plan to collect all the hardware I want before making a final decision on the case I'll put it in. I've got the keyboard, and some panel mount extensions. I'll be ordering the screen in a few days. I haven't decided yet how I want to charge it. Lots of options there. I would like to be able to pack everything inside the case though, for traveling.

I'm not sure if I want a mouse. And I can't stand touchpads, LOL. A physical keyboard is really nice, but while traveling, it's really annoying to try to find a flat spot for a mouse. I'm hoping a stylus with the touch screen will work better. But we'll see.

This is all just in my head for now. If anything actually happens, I'll share some pictures of it. :)
Mike

mctom

Post by mctom »

rebelrider.mike wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 pm
The cells recovered from laptops often have a max current of 500mA give or take.
I don't quite believe that. If that was a case, a laptop with 4000mAh cells would discharge for 8-10 hours by design.
These must be rated for higher current, after all typically they last for 300-1000 discharge cycles.
rebelrider.mike wrote:
Good to know though, that the N2+ can use 7-16V.
Just wanted to emphasize that it's up to you to find actual limits, my memory is quite fuzzy lately.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

N2+: DC 7.5V ~ 18V (up to 25W)

Looks like four 18650 would be perfect, although personally I would use Samsung 40T 21700 batteries which are 4000mAh @ 35A and good down to 2.5v but I would set cutoff to 3v

Power consumption:

– IDLE : ≃ 2.2W (Performance governor)

– CPU Stress : ≃ 5.9W (@2016/2208MHz), 6.2W (@2016/2400MHz)

– Power-off : ≃ 0.2W

mctom

Post by mctom »

Yep, I saw that one of converters has maximum rating set at 18V, but I can't figure out where does the lower limit come from. Never mind, it's a wide input range anyway.

I guess the majority of idle power in laptop is consumed by display backlight, so N2+ may be rounded up to 6W for simplicity. ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rebelrider.mike

mctom wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:22 am
rebelrider.mike wrote:
The cells recovered from laptops often have a max current of 500mA give or take.
I don't quite believe that. If that was a case, a laptop with 4000mAh cells would discharge for 8-10 hours by design.
These must be rated for higher current, after all typically they last for 300-1000 discharge cycles.
Well, each brand and model of cell will have its own spec sheet. I've seen them as low as 300mA, but most I've looked up have been 500mA or higher. But really my point is only that not all cells are going to safely deliver 20A. Some are a lot lower. I guess it depends on how much power a particular laptop would need. I won't be designing the battery until I know all the power requirements. I'll put them all on a bench power supply and find out what they need.
Mike

mctom

Post by mctom »

Surely these batteries have their specs and that's indeed something to keep in mind. If you live in 1st world you may opt for new batteries instead of salvaged ones and you'll get plenty to choose from.
18650s are generally cheaper and since you plan to stuff whole N2+ into the laptop I guess their size is not an issue.
Anyway, the point is that your display will likely consume more power than N2+.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rebelrider.mike

I finally got my screen in the mail! I sure hope it works, because it took a long time to get here. Also got the Odroid board. Hopefully I can start hooking things up soon. :)
Mike

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

If Hardkernel ever gets into the modular laptop business, here's some pointers about design: https://youtu.be/QmyAUIo79EU. It would be cool to have a standard motherboard form factor that could be produced by various manufacturers...

mctom

Post by mctom »

I think all such attempts are doomed to go bankrupt and you'll get an unmaintained machine anyway. Just look at the comments:

- I'm too scared to fix my own stuff
- Why won't "they" make all laptops like that? (Because "you" generally don't care about getting one)
- There should be a configuration I want available
- I don't like import taxes imposed by my country, if you drop the price to make up for that I'll buy it. LOL

Also, for some reason I can't stand ignorant reviewers who did not do the proper research before unboxing, and that ever popular "chatting with cameraman" format that everyone adopted.

I do remember my beloved lappie back from college times, though. It had two large bays at the front, each could be equipped either with CD drive, floppy drive, or extra battery. With two extra battery packs populated in both of them, that ~166MHz beast could easily work whole day on the lectures, 8h or so.
Why'd they stop making them like that? I guess nobody cared.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rebelrider.mike

I'd be happy with just serviceable laptops even if they're not modular. I've found that computers in general are not cost-effective to take to the repair shops. Or I just don't have good repair shops nearby. Either way, if I can't fix it myself, it gets stashed away for parts. But every time I get into one, something plastic breaks, and there's not much in there that isn't integrated onto the motherboard anyway. The push for ultra slim designs compounds the problem. A lot of features disappear to achieve the slimness. Like cooling fans, DVD drives, etc. Gotta have those as external units, and before you know it, you have a bulky bag full of external stuff to support the ultra slim laptop. This is just my humble opinion though.

Kind of why I'm interested in building my own laptop. One case with everything I want inside, and if I can build it, I can fix it. Also, I think it will be a fun project, and I'll learn more about SBCs.

Speaking of which, I did get to use my little 7" monitor panel. Hooked it up to a Rock Pi Penta kit I got to use as a NAS drive. Talk about learning curves! I've never used a linux based os before, and it took quite a while to get it all working. But now I have a neat little NAS box at a fraction of the price of an off the shelf one, and I have some new experience with this stuff.

Anyway, the monitor worked great, though I still don't know how much power it actually uses. The manual says about 1.2A maximum at 5V. I want to confirm that before designing my battery though. I found that it runs on 2.8W with the screen dark, and 4.1W at full brightness watching full screen You Tube. The manual for the screen says it uses up to 7W, so I'll plan for that I guess.

Next I suppose is to get a chip and operating system for the Odroid, and get that working.
Mike

mctom

Post by mctom »

You triggered memories of my "Display Technology" lecturer back at the Uni. He often got passionate about how ignorant consumers got these days, demanding slimmer TV sets all the time, get less and less reliable stuff for more money, and then construct conspiracies why the hell new TVs break so easily. :D
For me, laptop is a remote terminal to my desktop. I use 9" Intel Atom netbook I bought for €10 online. Just Ubuntu Server on it, well, aside from Sway/Wayland experiments. But that's just me, I'm more than comfortable in text mode.

If your design is to be reused by someone else, you should use maximum powers for your calculations, as each unit of the same type may have different actual wattage. The is a reason why manufacturers specify maximum wattage far beyond the actual one - to make sure it is indeed the maximum figure.
Keep in mind the wattage of everything you use will also vary with ambient temperature. Too many variables, just get the worst case numbers and work form there. :)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

The push for ultra slim designs compounds the problem. A lot of features disappear to achieve the slimness. Like cooling fans, DVD drives, etc.
F*ing Ethernet got ditched as well... What's a laptop without wired connectivity? Or is it just me?

mctom

Post by mctom »

Nope. Until yesterday I've been enjoying my time at my friend's house in the mountains. We wanted to play some supertuxkart and hedgewars together, with the former being the real time multiplayer game. It was unplayable through WiFi. Fortunately I took a RJ45 cable along, just one though. So we connected computers directly, set up another LAN separate from the WiFi-provided network et voila, all pings well below 1ms.

It is funny to watch how ridiculous consumers are. "gamers" want smooth online experience, and yet demand gaming laptops and WiFi connections rather than good old gaming PC and a piece of wire.
They end up getting $200 router like this one. I wonder how those perform in real life.

No wonder why I perceive a word "consumer" as an insult :lol:

And then again, I'm fine with new computers lacking this or that, unless there is an option to use a gigabit LAN dongle to USB. There ARE cults like Apple that deemed even USB ports unnecessary in their iPads or whatever. How on earth do you share a file with anybody standing next to you using a first generation iPad? Why, you ask around for a WiFi password, I guess...

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

mad_ady wrote:
The push for ultra slim designs compounds the problem. A lot of features disappear to achieve the slimness. Like cooling fans, DVD drives, etc.
F*ing Ethernet got ditched as well... What's a laptop without wired connectivity? Or is it just me?
My laptop has Ethernet, it doesn't have DVD but that's antiquated hardware anyway. I appreciate blu-ray due to still having enough storage space to be useful, although you can get a 32GB USB 3.1 flash drives for under $10 which isn't disposable like a disk.

As far as Ethernet goes WiFi 6 is faster than gigabit in ideal conditions which inside my house is certainly ideal, it wouldn't bother me if I didn't have Ethernet I would just get a Type C adapter for the rare times I need it.

USB is a necessity on a laptop and they are trying to get rid of those as well which indeed is ridiculous.

mctom

Post by mctom »

rooted wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 am
WiFi 6 is faster than gigabit in ideal conditions which inside my house is certainly ideal
I wonder about delays in WiFi6. Care to share statistics?
ping -c20 -i0.2 google.com

Code: Select all

--- google.com ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 3814ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 31.089/34.668/39.649/2.114 ms
Unfortunately can't paste results from my Huawei phone. It's not rooted, you see. ;) But the mean deviation was 11.835ms in the same test.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

As far as Ethernet goes WiFi 6 is faster than gigabit in ideal conditions
Apart from variable delay, there's also the difference that wifi bandwidth gets shared between all active clients, while ethernet (with switches) gives each client 1Gbps.

In a three client scenario, where two clients do a large file transfer between them, while the third does a large download through the internet, ethernet (through a gigabit switch) can sustain 1Gbps for all 3 clients simultaneously, while wifi will have (at best) to divide bandwidth between them (often unequaly). And this is assuming the clients are using the same wifi standard and you don't have an old b/g client forcing the AP to use a less efficient modulation.

So, with wifi - performance will always depend.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Well, rooted did say that 1Gbps is a perfect conditions scenario. Certainly nothing I'd try in a block of flats, but even if, I wonder if it's actually any better in terms of pings, because I can't see it marketed this way.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

I don't use WiFi 6 and in my case ideal conditions meant one user generally in the same room as the router. I have four wireless networks running on two routers, I have a mikrotik hap ac² as my router which has 2x2 AC and a Linksys EA7500 3x3 AC as a access point wired into the mikrotik. One 5ghz 3x3 radio is dedicated strictly to my devices such as iPad, phone, and laptop. One 2.4ghz on a different subnet for cameras, smart switches and other iot, one 2x2 ac radio for my son and wife's devices, and one 2.4ghz network for roaming outside.

My WAN has gigabit download but only 35 Mbps upload.

On a good day I can pull 600 Mbps over my wireless connection but being there are a lot of routers around me it varies. Never below 400 Mbps.

A test I just ran.

From my phone, take it with a grain of salt as it's a bit old.

Code: Select all

PING google.com (142.250.9.113) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=1 ttl=108 time=24.3 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=2 ttl=108 time=39.5 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=3 ttl=108 time=25.5 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=4 ttl=108 time=39.8 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=5 ttl=108 time=32.7 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=6 ttl=108 time=37.5 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=7 ttl=108 time=45.0 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=8 ttl=108 time=26.4 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=9 ttl=108 time=27.9 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=10 ttl=108 time=40.9 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=11 ttl=108 time=32.5 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=12 ttl=108 time=47.6 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=13 ttl=108 time=39.3 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=14 ttl=108 time=27.3 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=15 ttl=108 time=46.4 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=16 ttl=108 time=31.8 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=17 ttl=108 time=44.5 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=18 ttl=108 time=33.1 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=19 ttl=108 time=27.4 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.9.113: icmp_seq=20 ttl=108 time=36.5 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 3831ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 24.342/35.354/47.629/7.264 ms

mctom

Post by mctom »

That is an impressive setup indeed. I asked about pings because at least here, in the land of 3rd generation WiFi, and 1Gb LAN being the bleeding edge, the latter is a natural choice. Probably more feasible too, as we Europeans enjoy being packed into our tiny apartments like sardines. ;)
My WAN is apparently 280/25Mbps, just measured that - I didn't even know, my ISP keeps upgrading it and I lost track a few years ago.

So, what's the lesson here? In 10 year's time we may actually forget RJ45 cabling ever existed?

Meanwhile, my cluster still runs on 100Mbps switch. I gave $2 for it. ;)
224681500_348861223364994_2860091827119169058_n.jpg
224681500_348861223364994_2860091827119169058_n.jpg (271.4 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

I've been wanting to upgrade to WiFi 6 but honestly it's overkill since I don't do a lot of file transferring to a NAS as my NAS is full and I'm okay with the Internet speeds I get over wireless.

Now if I ever upgrade the antiquated drives in my NAS I will likely start looking at WiFi 6 access points. I need to update the drives as they have a large amount of hours on them.

One has 32068 hours and the the other which is going bad has 59128 hours.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Any news, Mr OP? :)

I have an irresistible urge to do something along these lines. Ultimately I want an e-ink 8-10" laptop with whatever inside, but a passive cooled open source SBC would be a plus.

N2+ would be too powerful for a productive and extremely portable machine, so I'm thinking about MC1 solo or any other with SoC on the bottom side. The flattest solution I can think of, give or take the vertical USB port.

if I could somehow put my hands on a aluminum / heat conducting netbook shell, or at least cut away the flat bottom portion and place a copper plate instead. ;)
Yesterday I discovered you can get brand new laptop chassis parts off Aliexpress, but it's far cheaper to get an old, used netbook instead.

I was wondering how your project is doing and how did you solve the issue of a chassis for your laptop.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rebelrider.mike

I've been distracted by other projects lately. I finally got the Rock Pi Penta NAS kit working. As a noob, I found the instructions to be completely inadequate, and had to do a lot of back-tracking to make the software work. But it's up and running flawlessly now.

Last couple months I've been helping Grandpa clean out his shed. Pretty interesting archaeology going on in there. Some of that stuff dates back to 1917 and belonged to my great grandfather. Though the shed itself is only about 40 years old. Something that really got my attention was a trio of old 0.8 cc model airplane engines from 1967. I managed to get them apart and built one working one from all the bits. Grandpa got a kick out of seeing one of those old engines run again.

As far as the DIY laptop, I have an old plastic case in mind that used to hold a battery powered hand drill. One of these days I'll get back on it and see if it will fit all the parts.
Mike

mctom

Post by mctom »

Perhaps a recent banter may inspire you to stay more focused and do less things at a time. :D
Anyway, cool stuff you've been doing lately.
rebelrider.mike wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 am
I have an old plastic case in mind that used to hold a battery powered hand drill.
That sounds big and impractical? I think starting with a laptop case, where keyboard, battery and screen actually fit to each other in the first place, is the way to go :roll:

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rebelrider.mike

For me, a thin laptop is not a priority. But the rugged nature of a plastic tool case, I find very appealing. In fact, at the very beginning I was considering building the computer into a brief case. Or one of those tiny hard-sided suitcases that people used to have. But I haven't found a briefcase I like, and I never did figure out what those mini suitcases were called, so I couldn't do much searching for them. But I think the tool case will be better than either.

One other thing that's been on my mind is maybe building my own wooden box. I've seen some pretty awful looking attempts, and also a few that turned out really nice. Depending on the time and quality of material that was put into them. If the tool case doesn't work out, I may go this route. Heck, I could do both and see which I like better. :)
Mike

mctom

Post by mctom »

My old band mate from high school has finally pulled off his project he's been talking about for years - he actually stuffed whole ATX PC, monitor and HIDs into an aluminum briefcase. No battery involved, he just wanted his desktop to be portable. That's cyberpunk AF before it was cool.
My goals are different - I want a machine that I can take for a hike, sit on a top of a mountain in Czechia and read or write things in a full sunlight for 8 hours. That's why my trusty netbook with e-ink display sounds so appealing.

I can't really see what are your goals here beside the sole fun of building something. Ruggedness, I think? Then the tool case indeed sounds like a good choice.

Another friend of mine have made an ATX case out of wood back in college (well, salvaged furniture boards in fact). Once he was done he called that the dumbest project ever, and definitely falls into your category of awful looking attempts. It was much heavier than anyone had imagined it to be, shavings were everywhere all the time, and looked like $#!t. Frankly it was useless. In my opinion this could have ended much better if there was an actual goal in this project, if it was silenced, or at least looking nice.

If you're after building your own wooden enclosure, I'd suggest designing the box and ordering laser cut plywood. It's a light material, and more sturdy than one could think. My buddy from kindergarten runs a company that makes furniture exclusively from 15mm plywood (and exports it worldwide).
I have designed a few things out of 3mm plywood, and I was always very satisfied with the end result, and usually paid more for shipping than material and services. My spatial orientation is doing really well so I design flat pieces in inkscape directly, but others suggested FreeCAD.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

I'm Imp558 on many forums, this was a project of mine from 2008. I've no idea if the original post is still up on hacked gadgets but it's been blogged about and criticized many times over the years. There was even a forum reporting that the portable desktop died due to emp from the unshielded power supply - (untrue, and ridiculous). It's been through several mainboards but I still use it in my lab to this day. When I posted it there were no others on the internet so I believe it to be the first case mod of its kind. In a time when laptops were expensive and fragile I had a portable pc with 3 harddrives booting 2 operating systems.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/12/14/com ... briefcase/

rebelrider.mike

I can totally see the e-ink netbook on a mountaintop. I take my old Kindle e-reader camping and hiking. My laptop would be more for putting in the back of the truck and not worrying if it gets knocked around a bit. And if it does break, then I've found a weak point I can fix because I made it myself, so I can fix it myself. I have most of the parts I need to get started I think.

I do happen to have an aluminum suitcase... naw. LOL.

I've done a couple of projects recently with really thin plywood. About 10mm I think. Last one I did was a panel for my truck that replaced the old AM/FM cassette stereo. I made a cardboard mock-up first, so I'd know exactly where I wanted all the parts. Gave it some redwood stain, and it turned out pretty good.

I'd probably take a similar approach to the computer box. I'll try the tool case first though. I'm thinking that after I remove the interior plastic bits, I can cut them up and use them as mounting points for the various bits of hardware. I might still use plywood though for the final surface inside.

since I'm sharing pictures, here's on of those tiny engines I mentioned in the earlier post:

They use regular castor oil as a fuel lubricant, but it kind of turns to glue after a few years and they were all seized up from it. Sure was fun getting one running again though.

Before I get back on the laptop though, I need to clean out a rusty fuel tank off my friends' old motorcycle. And I still have all the stuff from Grandpa's shed to deal with. All fun stuff, so can't complain. I have enough to keep me busy until the return of Halley's comet.
Mike

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

rebelrider.mike wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:05 am
I've done a couple of projects recently with really thin plywood.
try searching "ABS sheet" on Amazon, it's cost effective, easy to work with, and and nice looking. PVC cement holds it together the best, I used it to make the frame on my Odroid C0 based Candice robot.

mctom

Post by mctom »

You guys do amazing stuff indeed. :)

As a kid I opened up my PC often to replace parts (My dad worked as an IT guy), so I had an idea to mount parts directly into a drawer. But then I got more interested in ladies than computers.
Years passed, I decided to finally give it a try. I got an Ikea drawer, I started looking for quiet fans, then for water cooling parts, then I figured I might as well get a low power computer instead trying to get rid of all that heat silently.
I ended up buying N2+. No computer in the drawer. Nevertheless I did vandalize some Ikea and screwed it into the bottom of my desk.

I've spent the whole day today designing a prototype board for an FPGA. Finally this stuff became affordable for hobbyists.
This is going to be my FPD-Link deserializer, e-ink driver, and logic for a few power converters. In other words, a drop-in translator module to substitute LCD with e-ink.
My work colleague showed interest in using similar approach to transcode DSI into FPD-Link, so he designs his own proto board in parallel.
And then I'll wait half a year for remaining components, I guess. :D

@mike, 10mm is not "really thin". ;) I think you meant 1mm or something.
Good luck with rusty bike. I sold mine a month ago and already miss it.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

KiddleStone

Post by KiddleStone »

You could start by learning about this

https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY-Laptop/

While Pine laptop is cheaper the Olimex has all cad files available, if I recall right. Hope it helps 😀

Some more inspiration

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/diy-lapto ... -notebook/

https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform

https://www.inputmag.com/reviews/mnt-re ... re-at-last

Return to “The Ideas”