Board I would like to see

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Board I would like to see

Unread postby Quang » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 am

New board, that would satisfy my open Entertainment System needs:

First of all, HDMI... Normal FullHD is enought.
1gig ethernet
N scale wifi,
Bluetooth.
2sataIII ports.

On board usb connectors so I can connect some usb to the front

All ports on one side, board can be bigger.

Huge passive heatsink, that could be boxed.

So when I put it in box, heatsink is sticking out...

If you sell this for great price, it could make your buisniss good.

Maybe if you put out some latest processor with some good GPU, it could handle 4k video playing, and that would be cool.

But I would be satisfied if there would be cheap version with fullHD

Ports one one side and usb sticking to fronts are necessary.
Quang

languages_spoken: english

Re: Board I would like to see

Unread postby crashoverride » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 am

Quang wrote:N scale wifi,

Wifi on a general purpose developer board is useless. It never meets the requirements of customers. The first request made of any board including WiFi is to disable it. You can consult the RPi forums for evidence. The speed is too slow, the range is too short, driver firmware bug patches are still being waited for.

Quang wrote:Bluetooth.

Any board including Bluetooth will be obsolete as soon as its made. Bluetooth is currently in a transition to support new features (BT5.0, mesh).

Its a lot cheaper to just pick the Wifi and Bluetooth adapters that meet your needs than to throw away the entire board to upgrade it.

Quang wrote:2sataIII ports.

The issue with SATA is the drive power requirements. While the ports could be provided, a massive power supply would be needed to provide the +12V, +5V, and +3.3V at a suitable amperage for external drives.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:02 am

I'd propose the following. Future boards should have an internal gpio-like connector that exposes a usb port and HK could sell an addon board that fits inside the case an provides wifi/bt. There could be various flavors of the addon board - with 2.4 or 5GHz. Maybe even LTE modem.
This way everyone is happy - except for HK who have to develop/test/sell these boards

I prefer wired, by the way...
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby crashoverride » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 am

mad_ady wrote:sell an addon board that fits inside the case

One of the issues with adding Wifi/BT to the main board or a custom board is regulatory certification costs. For the main board, this adds a "tax" to the board whether you use the built in wifi/bt or not. For an add-on board, it increases the cost beyond what is competitive.

mad_ady wrote:This way everyone is happy

The current solution to not include any wireless is what makes "everyone happy". You can add what meets your needs and upgrade it as needed. For those without wifi/bt needs, they are not paying any additional fees. "Officially supported" Wifi modules are also available.

:D <-- happy
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 am

I tend to agree with crash"" extra modules be what they may and also extra taxes for somethings that may or may not be used,,h-k having to do much more ground work,,we have been using usb type wifi-b-tooth for since ever why change it makes little sense and still gives to op there choice of dongles..whilst maintaining cost efficiency...

sata on board while would be great but at what cost to h-k and the end user...exactly
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu .kernel 4.9.xx.xx.c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...vu7,vu8,c-shell -II..c-shel-II,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Return to The Ideas