3D Printer thread anybody?

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: XU4, M1 8GB, C1+, (3) C0's, H3+, N2L 4GB, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, MIPI-CSI Camera Kit, etc....

3D Printer thread anybody?

Post by L67GS »

With the M1 and N2L available it's finally time for me to get more immersed in robotics so I've decided to try to expand my electronics lab into something more resembling a robotics lab in 2023. I see there are a number of people on the forum with printers so maybe we can pull off a thread dedicated to the function and upgrade of 3D printers?

For starters I'd like to set up the 3D printer itself, mainly because the technology is solid enough as of the last few years to support a number of more useful materials. My primary focus is the ability to shoot TPU and TPE, since my school of thought is focused on using lightweight pneumatic actuation, I feel like I should be able to print flexible materials into custom airbags and bellows cost effectively. I'm also hopeful that I can print "limbs" and manipulators with airbags and bellows incorporated into them in time.

I've been seriously looking at a budget friendly model, the Creality CR-10 V3 E3D Direct Drive Extruder Printer or possibly a base model CR-10 that I could add a high quality direct drive to right away. As I understand a direct drive is recommended for softer materials, though the TPE and TPU that's used is really not extremely soft, weighing in around 45A on the shore scale.

I'm aware that a more expensive model would serve me better over time, but I'm trying to get as capable, as inexpensively as possible to allow room in my budget for a shredder (hacked paper shredder), and a DIY or kit filament extruder. Those two items would allow for easy recycling of failed prints, and let me turn readily available plastic bottles into PET for prototyping for free (barring electrical draw).

I'd also like to start out with an enclosure, it's recommended for keeping an even temperature for printing more difficult materials like TPE, TPU, PET, and nylon. Also, since I may go months between prints it should be useful to keep my printer clean and safe. Ideally I'd like to end up with a filament dryer as well, but I'll probably settle for a sealed plastic tote with Silica Gel inside for filament storage.

I'm very new to this so any input regarding my plan would be more than welcome, and I have some time since I'm trying to learn more about the use of Blender and Slic3r before I buy my printer. I'm also hoping to set up a CNC engraver, possibly fully DIY with the aid of the printer if I get competent enough, but that's a story for another time.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Re: 3D Printer thread anybody?

Post by mad_ady »

There's a thread by @tobetter where he custom builds a 3d printer with klipper on a Odroid C4. Give it a read before you buy anything.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
L67GS (Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:30 am)

L67GS
ODROIDs: XU4, M1 8GB, C1+, (3) C0's, H3+, N2L 4GB, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, MIPI-CSI Camera Kit, etc....

Post by L67GS »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:00 am
There's a thread by @tobetter where he custom builds a 3d printer with klipper on a Odroid C4. Give it a read before you buy anything.
I'd seen it before I was serious, but forgot about it. That's going on my to-do list...

rooted

Post by rooted »

Do you really need the build volume of the CR-10?

My printer has a volume of 250x250x265 and I've never used the entire volume.

My suggestion is you want a printer which runs Marlin firmware and has nothing proprietary such as the display and definitely a direct drive extruder if you plan on printing TPU softer than 95A.

If you need the volume of the CR-10 v3 I suggest at least looking at the Artillery Sidewinder X2, it's better in nearly every way and only costs a few more dollars.

*Edit*
It's actually less expensive right now.

https://www.newegg.com/p/288-00CD-00020 ... S5VJFA6436

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:01 pm
Do you really need the build volume of the CR-10?

My printer has a volume of 250x250x265 and I've never used the entire volume.

My suggestion is you want a printer which runs Marlin firmware and has nothing proprietary such as the display and definitely a direct drive extruder if you plan on printing TPU softer than 95A.

If you need the volume of the CR-10 v3 I suggest at least looking at the Artillery Sidewinder X2, it's better in nearly every way and only costs a few more dollars.

*Edit*
It's actually less expensive right now.

https://www.newegg.com/p/288-00CD-00020 ... S5VJFA6436
I just watched a few reviews on Artillery Sidewinder SW-X2, very impressive. It's actually significantly cheaper than the one I was looking at when we figure the auto bed level was an add-on. I'm going to watch a few more videos today, then likely order. Is there a preferred brand of filament, or more importantly brands to avoid?

rooted

Post by rooted »

I generally use Sunlu, Yousu, and Jayo but most are fine including MicroCenter Inland if you happen to fortunate enough to live near one.

I have a friend who has two Sidewinder X2 and he loves them, I would have definitely purchased one at that price had it been available at the time.

It ticks all the boxes I like to see these days.

1) Marlin
2) No proprietary display
3) AC bed heater
4) ABL
5) Direct drive extruder
6) Silent stepper drivers
7) Klipper compatability
8) Well known and tested brand
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
L67GS (Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:43 am)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

.... and I just spent $379.24.
1) Sidewinder X2
2) Nozzle Assortment
3) Sunlu PLA to learn with
4) Some cheap TPU that got good reviews
5) Silica Gel to toss in the bags with my rolls

That should get me started, TPU is no fun to shop for, it's expensive and hard to find in a low shore hardness like 45. If that 95A is too rigid for what I want to do at least it wasn't pricey.

rooted

Post by rooted »

All that was still less than my printer, but it also has a laser attachment and dual extrusion of which I've never used either. I think you made a good choice and should get much enjoyment from your purchases.

I've used that brand of TPU and it's nearly as easy to print as PLA and has decent flexibility, think TPU phone cases. Smart choice getting the silica, TPU is indeed hydroscopic and different nozzle sizes are great to experiment with to find the best mix of speed versus quality.

Gotta love it comes stock with a volcano style hotend.

Ninjaflex would be some of the softest I know of, it's like a rubber band.

Note silk PLA is harder to print versus normal PLA.
L67GS (Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:47 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

This is some tri-color silk PLA I just got in.

ImageImageImage
L67GS (Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:47 pm)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Maybe I should have gotten different PLA, I didn't even know there was a difference, lol. Well, at least learning on the more difficult stuff will give me good experience. While looking for enclosures I bumped into the Sidewinder X2 for $10 less than the price I got if anyone else is looking.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Artillery-Si ... hbdg=L1700

Edit: Just ordered an enclosure, the printer will live at home for a couple of weeks while my Son and I make friends with it and the enclosure will protect it from those filthy animals that eat the stinky food, walk in their own feces, and destroy everything with their claws and bumbling. Once I move it to the shop and put it in my lab the enclosure will help keep a stable temperature since it can be drafty there.
My starting investment is now $418.23, not bad at all.

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1, H3+, SP3, Vu8M

Post by mctom »

I can't afford space in my apartment for a 3D printer, so for now I depend on my friends and local services doing the prints for me.
(That's my way of saying: Subscribed :) )
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
L67GS (Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:43 am)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

My printer is 2-3 days away now. I've been watching YouTube videos the last few nights in preparation.
Yesterday the enclosure, nozzle assortment, silica gel packets, and filament arrived.

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:My printer is 2-3 days away now. I've been watching YouTube videos the last few nights in preparation.
Yesterday the enclosure, nozzle assortment, silica gel packets, and filament arrived.
Have you installed a slicer such as Cura or Prusaslicer and started learning the interface?

InsideOut
ODROIDs: HC2

Post by InsideOut »

Running Klipper is definitely an upgrade that is very worthwhile. 3D printers are a tinkerer's dream.
These users thanked the author InsideOut for the post:
L67GS (Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:07 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

InsideOut wrote:Running Klipper is definitely an upgrade that is very worthwhile. 3D printers are a tinkerer's dream.
Indeed klipper is great, at the same time Marlin is still a nice tried and tested firmware but certainly more difficult to compile and not the new hotness.

Where klipper really shines is ease of configuration, flexibility, speed, and of course the mainsail and fluidd web based front ends.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:06 pm
L67GS wrote:My printer is 2-3 days away now. I've been watching YouTube videos the last few nights in preparation.
Have you installed a slicer such as Cura or Prusaslicer and started learning the interface?
I've installed Slic3r and Cura, Slic3r would be my preference if possible because I instantly dislike any software that wants a login. I suppose I could make a Cura account with my junkmail email address.

rooted

Post by rooted »

You don't have to login to Cura. Try Prusaslicer if you like Slic3r as it was a fork but is far more advanced now, there is also an awesome fork of Prusaslicer called SuperSlicer which is worth checking out.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post (total 2):
tobetter (Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:40 am) • L67GS (Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:06 pm)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I've had it for a matter of hours, already looking at upgrades, lol. Most of the wheels are out of round and it was much fiddling to get them rooling smooth(ish). Also considering a bed mat to get stuff off easier.
So far I've only printed the sample files, and they came out fine, but I'm wondering how they would look with truer wheels.
I will check out Superslicer too, unfortunately I work 3 consecutive 12hr nights starting tomorrow.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

L67GS wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:12 pm
I've had it for a matter of hours, already looking at upgrades, lol. Most of the wheels are out of round and it was much fiddling to get them rooling smooth(ish). Also considering a bed mat to get stuff off easier.
So far I've only printed the sample files, and they came out fine, but I'm wondering how they would look with truer wheels.
I will check out Superslicer too, unfortunately I work 3 consecutive 12hr nights starting tomorrow.
Congratulation and welcome to 3D printer community who runs 3D printer to print parts for 3D printer. :D
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
L67GS (Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:10 pm)

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:Most of the wheels are out of round and it was much fiddling to get them rooling smooth(ish).
If you loosen the eccentric nuts and let it sit loose for say 24 hours then snug them back up they should be much better if not true.

Of course they can be replaced for not much money as well, although I'm nearly certain Artillery support would be willing to ship you new wheels under warranty.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

tobetter wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 pm
Congratulation and welcome to 3D printer community who runs 3D printer to print parts for 3D printer. :D
The Sidewinder X1 & X2 both suffer from wobble towards the top of the gantry because they're so tall and have a roll holder on top. I got Superslicer installed and sliced a test piece before I print some Z axis support brackets.
rooted wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:57 pm

If you loosen the eccentric nuts and let it sit loose for say 24 hours then snug them back up they should be much better if not true.

Of course they can be replaced for not much money as well, although I'm nearly certain Artillery support would be willing to ship you new wheels under warranty.
I'll try that, and contact Artillery about warranty parts. That's an excellent idea.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Yeah my friend who has two of them added stabilizers to one of them, something like this but I believe he purchased it from somewhere.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/ ... ewinder-x1

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:43 pm
Yeah my friend who has two of them added stabilizers to one of them, something like this but I believe he purchased it from somewhere.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/ ... ewinder-x1
X2 has a different gantry so the many X1 braces don't fit. There's only one or two options, but I really want to print them. It'll give me an excuse to buy black PLA too, lol.

Here's an example of the finish on the vase thing file that came, supposedly optimized for the X2 vs the whistle I grabbed willy nilly from cults, then sliced with Superslicer using the profile for X1 ABL on my X2 since there's no X2 profile yet. Superslicer produced a MUCH nicer finish, but it was a lot slower so that may be it.
20230111_145343.jpg
20230111_145343.jpg (135.41 KiB) Viewed 364 times
That silver PLA from Sunlu is beautiful when printed, pictures don't do it justice. It could at a glance be confused with polished aluminum and I think it printed nicer than the stock violet roll that came with the printer.
20230111_004818.jpg
20230111_004818.jpg (122.45 KiB) Viewed 364 times

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Ya know, I loosened all the rollers to where they were as loose as possible without allowing slop. My progression in print quality may have been partly due to the wheels coming back into true over the course of the night.

There's noticeable slop in the Z leadscrews, I'd like to address that, but it probably doesn't matter thinking of how the machine uses the Z axis.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Is the slop in the brass leadscrew nuts? If so that is supposed to be there to allow for any wobble in the leadscrew.

Those are some fantastic first prints! Many if not most people struggle for a while before getting anything like that.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:34 pm
Is the slop in the brass leadscrew nuts? If so that is supposed to be there to allow for any wobble in the leadscrew.

Those are some fantastic first prints! Many if not most people struggle for a while before getting anything like that.
Thank you! I really think I got the right machine thanks to you.

There's talk online about sidewinder "bent" leadscrews, and others who identify them as misaligned and wobbly. I believe they are one in the same. I did order black PLA, and blue that looks close, so I'm planning a tune up day for next week. I'll install my Z braces and spend the day with my dial indicator making adjustments.
There's a couple more light mods I'd like to do, then I can get more serious in CAD knowing the Sidewinder is a solid tool to prototype with.
I think I may make a couple Odroid cases with hominoid's SBC Case Builder too.

rooted

Post by rooted »

I'm glad it is working out, I think printing one or more cases would be a good test of dimensional accuracy.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Ameridroid shows the old 3.5" Touchscreen, and I have a couple of C0's..... been wanting that one for years but I don't know what I'd do with it.

rooted

Post by rooted »

L67GS wrote:Ameridroid shows the old 3.5" Touchscreen, and I have a couple of C0's..... been wanting that one for years but I don't know what I'd do with it.
@mad_ady used it for something I believe, I have one but broke the tabs on the acrylic case.

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2L, N2+, HC4, M1, H2, H3+

Post by hominoid »

Congratulations on the printer acquisition @L67GS, that should keep you busy for awhile.
These users thanked the author hominoid for the post:
L67GS (Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:07 pm)

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Post by mad_ady »

The 3.5" screen coupled with a supported odroid (c0/c1/c2) and a supported os (I'm on 18.04) can even run x11 at 10 fps. I'm using mine to display a chrome kiosk with some homeassistant dashboards, for quick access.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
L67GS (Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:39 pm)

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:01 pm
The 3.5" screen coupled with a supported odroid (c0/c1/c2) and a supported os (I'm on 18.04) can even run x11 at 10 fps. I'm using mine to display a chrome kiosk with some homeassistant dashboards, for quick access.
I'm thinking it might be nice to have a tiny computer at work so I can re-hash some of the Candice functions into small programs and have a "calculator" type thing that's optimized for what I do at work.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

My flexible bed sheet hasn't shipped yet, they're saying it'll be here next Saturday now. Since my big tune-up day is postponed I spent today learning some stuff in FreeCAD. After one day I can already make not so simple parts and I learned how to render images like logos for import into FreeCAD.
Tomorrow I should have a basic understanding of how to do more complex geometric shapes to start making bellows and such. FreeCAD is far more capable than I initially thought.
These users thanked the author L67GS for the post:
mctom (Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:56 pm)

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, N1, N2, C4

Post by joerg »

Just to mention that I also jumped on the train...Last November I bought a Creality3D Ender 3 V2 Neo with well Black Friday discount at about 230Euro. Normally price here in Germany is about 320Euro.
@L67GS I used FreeCAD also in the past, but moved to OpenSCAD and find it easier to use and faster rendering.
For a small stackable box (to have my deskop tidy up):

Code: Select all

$fn=50;
difference() {
translate([1.5,1.5,1.5])
minkowski()
{
  cube([74,50.5,1]);
  cylinder(r=1.5,h=44);
}
  translate([1.5,1.5,3])
  cube([74,50.5,44]);  
};

difference() {
  translate([3,3,0])
minkowski()
{
  cube([71,47.5,1]);
  cylinder(r=1.5,h=1.5);
}
  translate([3,3,0])
  cube([71,47.5,1.5]);
};
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-01-15 11-58-38.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-01-15 11-58-38.png (18.38 KiB) Viewed 275 times
I had to make some experiments with the build plate adhesion. With only Skirt it didn't stuck well and the best I reached with Raft. But this way it need about 1 hour more to build... :(
These users thanked the author joerg for the post:
L67GS (Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:08 pm)

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1, H3+, SP3, Vu8M

Post by mctom »

I also wanted to recommend OpenSCAD. I designed my 3D printed things with OpenSCAD with no prior experience with any other mechanical CAD tools.
Not to mention @hominoid's SBC case generator which would be impossible in any other CAD software I'm afraid, especially the "generator" part.
I'm working on a H3 case design as we speak.. So I'm also learning the trade, especially what can be printed and what is not worth the trouble.

My turn to show off a recent 3D printed design. It's an adapter that goes between an electromechanical valve actuator and my radiator valve.
The bundled one was too short so I recreated it in 25 messy lines of code. I introduced two variables, ps and pt, that allow me to extend the length of two segments compared to the original.
It contains a metric thread inside, generated by an external open source library. Will it work? I'm yet to find out.

Code: Select all

use <threads-scad/threads.scad>

$fn=200;

L=0.01; // Planck length
2L=2*L;
ps = 10; // plus sleeve
pt = 5; // plus thread

difference(){
    union(){
                                            cylinder(d1=28.5, d2=30.8, h=1.6);
translate([0,0,1.6-L]) cylinder(d=30.8, h=1.1+2L);
                                            cylinder(d=28.5, h=6+L);
translate([0,0,6]) cylinder(d1=33.5, d2=35, h=1.4+L);
translate([0,0,7.4]) cylinder(d=35, h=3+ps+L);
        for(i=[0:6:360]) {
            translate([17.5*sin(i),17.5*cos(i),9]) cylinder(3,d=1.2);
        }

translate([0,0,10.4+ps]) RodEnd(diameter=35, height=5+pt, thread_len=5+pt, thread_diam=30,thread_pitch=1.5);
    }

translate([0,0,-L]) cylinder(d=24,h=100);
}
Attachments
2023-01-15-125006_551x502_scrot.png
2023-01-15-125006_551x502_scrot.png (30.71 KiB) Viewed 273 times
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted

Post by rooted »

I like both packages but have used blender for nearly 20 years so I'm much more familiar with it, not ideal for CAD but there are add-ons which help.

I'm surprised you took to FreeCAD so quickly, it's not the most intuitive software initially.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I loved the scripting console in OpenSCAD, but most of what I want to do involves complex shapes, mainly bellowes. OpenSCAD didn't seem to have as many add-ons for doing curves and such as FreeCAD.
I'm just now getting into curves, last night I got to where I can make pretty much any solid shape (didn't learn threads yet).
I tried Blender for a day last week, and no, it's not optimum for 3d modeling. It is however exceptional at animation.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Oh freeform modeling in blender is excellent, where it falls short is technical modeling with precise measurements. Initially the default measurements are in meters not millimeters among other worse things.

I have a Moi3d license and it's excellent as well, luckily it also works perfectly in wine since it's a Windows (and Mac) CAD package. Not exactly inexpensive at $295 but so easy to use, it was gifted to me as there is no way I could justify paying that much unless it was a business expense.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

My print bed sheet never came, so I cancelled it and ordered a different one. This morning when I went to bed (I'm 3rd shift) I saw my second choice bed sheet, and another Amazon package had been scanned onto a USPS truck for final delivery at exactly the same time.
Somehow the other package arrived and the bed sheet is delayed. Ironically the other package is vinyl and silicone tubing for the 3D printed pneumatic actuators I want to experiment with ........ once I know I can get the damn things off the bed.

rooted

Post by rooted »

I just use glue stick as a release agent on glass for TPU and PETG, PETG can actually pull up chunks of glass as it cools without a layer of something between it and the glass.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

rooted wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:02 am
I just use glue stick as a release agent on glass for TPU and PETG, PETG can actually pull up chunks of glass as it cools without a layer of something between it and the glass.
Thank you, until now I'd only read glue sticks promote adhesion. I just printed a square that was designed for the Z axis and it was little effort to remove.
Hopefully after my supports and tune-up I can get rid of those out of bounds spots that are on the sides of the square here.
I have 2 more tools to print before my tuning.
20230124_002541.jpg
20230124_002541.jpg (244.4 KiB) Viewed 168 times

rooted

Post by rooted »

That print looks like metal, so smooth.

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

... and I removed that magnetic print surface for good. I'm going to be a full time glue stick person for now. Perhaps later I'll try a different brand bed sheet that's textured instead of this smooth one once my bed is nicely beat to hell. I don't think I had a single good print come off that thing, one tipped, bent my ABL probe, plugged my nozzle enough to redirect the flow, and by the time I noticed it the machine had encapsulated the heat block inside the silicone boot.
Tonight I ordered rebuild and upgrade parts for the extruder (making lemonade) and a second whole extruder with ABL unit ($50) so I can keep one whole extruder fresh all the time, or perhaps optimize one for hotter printing like nylon and keep the other stock.

Edit: I don't know how many of you guys have figured this out yet but Ziploc 1 Gallon bags (not with the fancy sliding zipper but just the regular ones) will fit a 1KG roll with a little room to spare. In contrast Great Value 1 Gallon with the zipper does not have a big enough opening for a roll to fit past.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Good tip, I use them for my PETG with some desiccant packages but I also have a Sunlu brand filament dryer.

Sucks about the issues on that build plate, you should be able to rough it up with a scotchbrite pad to aid adhesion if you ever wanna give it another shot. Personally I like glass unless I'm trying to print fast then all that extra mass causes artifacts and is harder on the Y axis stepper and driver, I use both but glass mostly.

L67GS (Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:44 pm)

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, C4, XU4, MC1, N1, N2, N2L, N2+, HC4, M1, H2, H3+

Post by hominoid »

L67GS wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:05 pm
... and I removed that magnetic print surface for good. I'm going to be a full time glue stick person for now. Perhaps later I'll try a different brand bed sheet that's textured instead of this smooth one once my bed is nicely beat to hell. I don't think I had a single good print come off that thing, one tipped, bent my ABL probe, plugged my nozzle enough to redirect the flow, and by the time I noticed it the machine had encapsulated the heat block inside the silicone boot.
Are you cleaning the bed for each print? I use alcohol and by the way, smooth surfaces are harder to print on imo. You can also try printing on Kapton tape which is what I use. It works for ABS and PLA.
These users thanked the author hominoid for the post:

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I did scotch brite the plate, on the metal side - not the coated side. And I was meticulous about cleaning the build plate. All I could find was 70% alcohol but I considered briefly bringing some straight isopropyl home from work, lol. I'm using a plastic scraper, alcohol, and paper towels. I'm thinking about gutting a food dehydrator and making a large dry box to keep filament in once I get the printer out of the house and into the lab but for now it's ziploc bags and desiccant packs.
In all I've had good experiences, with more good prints than failed prints, and honestly I have yet to really dig into the machine and "mill-write" it properly so I'm still feeling good.
My plan is to run the new extruder and then build the snot out of the original one to prep it for nylon (for later in a better ventilated environment.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Nylon is a bitch unless you have a heated enclosure or an enclosure and use carbon fiber filled nylon.

It's also super hydroscopic so you will definitely want that filament dryer.
Last edited by rooted on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Post by rooted »

hominoid wrote: You can also try printing on Kapton tape which is what I use. It works for ABS and PLA.
I also use blue 3M painters tape since I have it around the house, works great.

Return to “General Topics”