Off Topic Banter

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: OGA, XU4, C2, M1

Re: Off Topic Banter

Post by mctom »

It's funny every year my boss asks me if I need or want any training and I never got any. ;)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
languages_spoken: English, Jibberish, Pig Latin
ODROIDs: M1 8GB -w- MIPI-CSI Camera Kit, XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:42 am
It's funny every year my boss asks me if I need or want any training and I never got any. ;)
Start saying YES, lol, I got my Fluke, a Westward electrically insulated tool set, and an entire arsenal of Honeywell arc/flash gear. Also Klien crimpers and both sizes of Klien wire pliers too.

mctom

Post by mctom »

Oh but I do, every year I want EMC training and never got it.
But I don't mind, none of my workplaces offered me any training. Once I rode all the way to Warsaw to see a series of talks about power converters which turned out to be a presentation of ST product range.
So in my free time I enrolled on Coursera and finished the power converters course that was excellent and for free.

The only things I could keep from my past jobs were ESD lab coats and slippers. ;)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS
ODROIDs: M1 8GB -w- MIPI-CSI Camera Kit, XU4, C1+,(3) C0's, and a whole big pile of accessories, VU7A Plus,, ect....

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 am

The only things I could keep from my past jobs were ESD lab coats and slippers. ;)
That's funny how different our work environments are, my employer (Berry Global) got me a bunch of flame proof uniforms and a new pair of steel toes. I'd like to have a lab job again but working hands-on with all the automated machines is so much fun I doubt I'll see the inside of a lab (barring my personal lab) again.

mctom

Post by mctom »

My current job is the best so far in many regards. I asked for a new mouse pad and I got it. ;)
But surely I don't get to keep anything when I stop working there. In theory, my glasses belong to them too, but it's unheard of to take them away ;)

It is funny, as you say... I got fed up running around the factory floor and fixing human errors all the time. If you think about it, all errors are human errors. ;)
I like bug hunts in the lab, but I strongly prefer to have an assistant who could give me a hand with soldering and some measurements, so I can stay focused on the issue.
It worked perfectly when I had an intern who did just that. I also used her as a rubber duck so she could learn about what we're doing.

This month that very intern, and then my colleague, made me proud and switched jobs to an American company, designing ICs.
She reports back how's the new job, and I can say it is very different, and I can see why it's so tempting to some.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

mctom

Post by mctom »

mctom wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:37 pm
Lesson learned today... When you use UART as your debug console, make sure you run it in raw mode. Otherwise all bytes below 0x20 will make sure you don't see what you get :evil:

I had to go as far as investigate UART link with a scope to understand what's going on.

The good thing is, my code worked OK all along!
Another lesson learned today...

Some time ago I wrote UART transmitter for FPGA, today I implemented UART receiver.
How do I test it, why of course, link both together in FPGA and make an echo device.

So I sent a few bytes from M1 to FPGA, and in return I got tons of 0x0a and original messages somewhere in between, seemingly random and in infinite loop.
Again, I searched my code for any mistake all over and couldn't find anything wrong.
Yup, ttyS0 got "echo" on by default.. and on each echo it must have added another LF, or lost some data to buffer overflows, hence the randomness.

Anyway, I'm super glad, got my transmitter and receiver working perfectly with 1MB of /dev/urandom at 4Mbps :ugeek:
(and it sipped mere 0.06W to process that. Incredible!)

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

I got a logic analyzer a couple years ago for that. Don't use it much but it was handy when I was working more with microcontrollers.
Your solution is cooler, I got this before I was really into SBCs.
51abwEwjzNL._AC_SY780_.jpg
51abwEwjzNL._AC_SY780_.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 148 times

mctom

Post by mctom »

I got Bus Pirate a few years ago, that apparently can be used for similar purposes. But I never used it for anything else than programming AVRs. It's not as useful as I thought it would be.
Now I have 4-channel budget Rigol scope, that can also decode a few protocols including UART. That is, after getting riglol'ed.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

phaseshifter
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,n2+2G and n2 4G
cloudshell I and shell II
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well..vu7 etc..all sorts of sbc`s these days

Post by phaseshifter »

anybody..???

what is not classed as a field replacement unit...???
necessity the mother of all creation and invention..!!!..check out the world ...long live rock and roll.....

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Has anyone tried flashing microcontrollers from a SBC here? I haven't tried yet.

mctom

Post by mctom »

I flash FPGA evalboard, which is essentially writing to an on-board EEPROM using flashrom from SPI pins. Works like a charm at 20MHz.

Newer AVRs with UDPI programming interface can be programmed with avrdude via UART port (requires a resistor and a diode IIRC).
Older AVRs are programmable via SPI bus plus a reset wire, and for that avrdude has linuxgpio programmer mode.

I don't know about PICs, but whatever it is, it should be bit-bangable and someone has already done that.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Studying load cells this week, those damn things return mv through a wheatstone bridge! I figured there would be a bridge configuration with the strain gauges but it completely caught me off to see them in that voltage range. I'd like to use a microcontroller increment a digital resistor in a voltage divider to simulate a pair of them for a project at work.

mctom

Post by mctom »

If that's a temporary build (just for a test) you probably can drive that digital resistor with an SBC directly.

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

It's a tool I want for work, so probably a cheap PIC16F328a for a controller. We have like 40 Maguire mixer controllers that aren't tagged as per what their malfunction is, and I'd like to start fixing them in house.
In other news, the voltmeter came for my sensor tester and I finished it this morning.
Attachments
20220923_085326.jpg
20220923_085326.jpg (509.1 KiB) Viewed 25 times

mctom

Post by mctom »

Again on a quest to shuffle furniture around and hope there's gonna be more space thanks to that, I hang my bed on a wall.
Interestingly, lots of space has been saved indeed. And I generated some 30kg of scrap metal, removing unnecessary steel parts from it.

Of course the project is overdue and I'm nowhere near completion before the weekend ends, so we're gonna live in a chaos for another week.
Like, exactly right now I'm sitting in front of my mock up desk, under said bed, in the dark and question my intelligence..

Lesson learned - you can't "just hang it on a wall and then take the legs away". Noo, of course not.
Attachments
signal-2022-09-24-173020_002.jpeg
signal-2022-09-24-173020_002.jpeg (169.83 KiB) Viewed 17 times

Maintainer of PiStackMon

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Post by rooted »

Seems you like the forest

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

mctom wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:05 pm
Again on a quest to shuffle furniture around and hope there's gonna be more space thanks to that, I hang my bed on a wall.
Interestingly, lots of space has been saved indeed. And I generated some 30kg of scrap metal, removing unnecessary steel parts from it.

Of course the project is overdue and I'm nowhere near completion before the weekend ends, so we're gonna live in a chaos for another week.
Like, exactly right now I'm sitting in front of my mock up desk, under said bed, in the dark and question my intelligence..

Lesson learned - you can't "just hang it on a wall and then take the legs away". Noo, of course not.
What about hinging it to the wall, so it can lay flat against the wall during the day, and fold down over the desk or other furniture at night?

mctom

Post by mctom »

rooted wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:12 am
Seems you like the forest Image
Not as much as mountains, but that was an easier theme to capture in monochrome. :)
I also have Yamaha XV535 in three colors, black/red/white, on another wall.
L67GS wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:16 am
What about hinging it to the wall, so it can lay flat against the wall during the day, and fold down over the desk or other furniture at night?
Bed-making sucks and I haven't done that ever since I moved out from my parents at 17 or so. I prefer having my bed always ready for use :)
On the other hand, having a special room just for sleeping sounds like a waste of space for me. I'd rather have a music studio if I had a spare room!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

L67GS

Post by L67GS »

Wait, I forgot who was posting here. Why don't you just invent an anti-gravity device and make use of all 6 surfaces in the room? Duh.

Return to “General Topics”