Looking to remplace my C1

viprit
languages_spoken: english

Looking to remplace my C1

Unread post by viprit » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi, I want to remplace my C1 which I use as a server (you know: kodi, nextcloud, torrent, vpn...) and but I'm not sure which board I should choose or if I should wait to any new release.

At this moment the main candidate is the C2 (price, Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire performance, form factor [someday it could be reconverted into a game emulator in a 3d printed case, which are designed for the rpi layout]) but it was released 3 years ago and something similar happens with the XU4 and I don't want to buy a new board just to see how they launch their sucessors the next month.

So my questions are: Which SBC do you recomend me? It's there any news about a near future Odroid C3 or XU5?

Thanks for your help :)
Last edited by viprit on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: Looking to remplace my C1

Unread post by memeka » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Odroid N2 was just announced :)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:41 pm

moved the thread since this has obviously nothing to do with the ODROID Magazine
please pay attention where you post your questions.

The XU4 is longest on the market right now but also the best support even with upstream Kernel support and HardKernel already confirmed they will continue to sell it for the next couple of years.
The performance of the XU4 is superb. Fast CPU, fast GPU, fast RAM, USB 3.0.

The C2 although newer than the XU4 is not necessarily better. If you don't need arm64 architecture I would avoid it.
It's in most cases slower than then XU4 (about half the performance). The GPU is slower and can only do OpenGL ES 2.0 (even OpenGL ES 1.x has not all extensions).
The system runs on an rather old Kernel (3.16) but work for mainline support is going on.
It only has USB 2.0, so harddrives and external devices are a lot slower than on the XU4.

Recently the ODROID N2 was announced/released basically an "C3" from the same company as the C2 but with a newer and faster CPU/RAM/GPU and USB 3.0.
But it's rather new, not widely available yet and support is just starting to build up.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Odinson
ODROIDs: 8 xu4s and counting.

Unread post by Odinson » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I would get an xu4 for the reasons meveric said:
" the best support even with upstream Kernel support and HardKernel already confirmed they will continue to sell it for the next couple of years.
The performance of the XU4 is superb. Fast CPU, fast GPU, fast RAM, USB 3.0."

These are the reasons that I've gone ahead with my clustering project based on xu4s, even though they announced the N2 the *same day* I started buying more xu4s for my project. It's one of the best SBCs around and will still be one of the best SBCs around even after the N2 ships, especially if the current price holds.

Return to “General Topics”