Please avoid Fedex!

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Please avoid Fedex!

Unread postby wtarreau » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi,

it's the second time I experience shipping problems with Fedex for hardkernel. In fact to be honest I hesitated ordering my board from hardkernel exactly because of Fedex, and I was right. I set half a day vacation to be at home when they pass, and as usual the status suddenly appeared as "unavailable" with nobody passing. They *always* act like this when they are late, and it's impossible to go to their office outside of work hours.

Please use regular post. At least they can open my mailbox and I can go to the local post office on saturday if needed.

I never ever had any single issue ordering from friendlyarm or other sites using regular post, but it's always the same problem when ordering from hardkernel. Guys, please offer us the option, you're really losing opportunities.

PS: I still don't have my board, it's still in fedex's hands :-(
wtarreau

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Please avoid Fedex!

Unread postby rooted » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 pm

What country? In the US FedEx is generally great.
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby wtarreau » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:05 am

France. I never had a positive experience with them, and every time I feel helpless since they cannot offer a reasonable option. All they could say on the phone was "we can only propose you to pass tomorrow between 9am and 6pm, otherwise you come yourself to our office to pick it, 9am to 6pm as well, but not saturday". In short, tomorrow I'm not sure the guy will pass either. So in the end I'll have to set a 3rd day vacation to drive to these bastards' office just to pick my parcel. That's really unbearable. Unfortunately I couldn't cancel the order, or I'd have done it so that they return it.
wtarreau

Unread postby rooted » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 am

This is how the typical post is here in the US (USPS).
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby wtarreau » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:08 am

Interesting ; one more reason for offering us the choice during the order!
wtarreau

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:27 am

In Germany my neighbors take my packages and I go to my neighbors and get it from them.
Normally not a big deal.
But I guess this depends on where you live.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby wtarreau » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:38 am

It would not change anything since I was there and they didn't pass in the street. I'm pretty sure that they cancel all late shipments when they figure they won't be able to deliver in time, and mark all of them "client not available". Every time it happened, surprisingly it was marked a few minutes before the announced deadline. I could think it's specific to the place where I live, except it was the same where I lived previously and some of my coworkers had the exact same experience. Also it's not hard to find similar experiences on customer complaint sites. I'm pretty sure the drivers are pressured to cancel early rather than deliver late. That's not the service I expect. Just for this hardkernel is extremely expensive because each board requires several vacation days :-(
wtarreau

Unread postby cdu13a » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 am

I don't know if it's possible for you to do, but a few friends get their Fedex shipments sent to their work places. (Best to ask first)
cdu13a

ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread postby wtarreau » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 am

I used to do this a long time ago, but had to stop because Fedex was sending the VAT and customs invoices to my employer instead of me. Apparently it's common for them to confuse shipping and billing addresses. And at another place it was simply not possible to get them at work.

Quite frankly, Fedex should possibly only be used to ship to companies, never to individuals. We should have this option, it's too much of a pain. I'm still thinking about ordering a N1 once it's available and the biggest showstopper for me is to pass through the Fedex pain again, so I'll likely wait for someone else to sell his after he doesn't use it anymore, it will be simpler. What a shame!
wtarreau

Unread postby wtarreau » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:37 am

Just to finish this story, I finally got it today. It was supposed to be delivered before 12:00. At 12:40 still seeing nobody I left home for work and met the guy arriving. It's still too much hassle just for this.
wtarreau

Unread postby rooted » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:44 am

wtarreau wrote:Just to finish this story, I finally got it today. It was supposed to be delivered before 12:00. At 12:40 still seeing nobody I left home for work and met the guy arriving. It's still too much hassle just for this.
Glad you got your package, perhaps Hardkernel will look at offering additional shipping options in the future.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby odroid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 am

We tried DHL, UPS and Fedex in the past 10 years.
In most cases, Fedex supplied the largest coverage and fast delivery according to our experience.
So we've used the Fedex from a couple of years ago.

But some customers have reported troubles, especially in Europe and Africa.
Therefore, we have to study what possible options are available when there is no people in the destination address.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby wtarreau » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Just regular post, or registered mail ? It's working very well for me from various Asian countries. It's also what I've always used with success when ordering from FriendlyARM, and to me it makes a huge difference. However it should really be an option left to the customer of course.
wtarreau

Unread postby odroid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:36 pm

We already tried it a few years ago.
But it was extremely slow. Sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes over 8 weeks. It was not predictable at all. Tracking system didn't work well either.
And many customers didn't receive their parcels even after 10 weeks and we had to ship it again via Fedex with our costs.
So we abandoned the regular post within 6 months, even the shipping cost was very competitive. Overhead was really big though.
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Technicavolous » Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 am

rooted wrote:What country? In the US FedEx is generally great.

Well, not down here in Central FL ...

Generally speaking, FedEX rarely damages packages where UPS does. But UPS has respect for property where FedEX does not ... DHL costs more but does everything right.

The problem arises because FedEX uses CONTRACTORS, more than employees, to deliver packages in outlying areas and in main areas that are overloaded. This really messes up their quality control. There are nightmare videos online that show FedEX contractors doing egregious things.

I have a video of a FedEX contractor on my youtube site driving over the construction of my pond. He was driving a U-Haul truck. They guy destroyed a lot of my equipment because he drove over my yard to avoid a dirt road. When I called FedEX to complain, they told me "You ca't prove it was our driver" !!! (even though I have video of him delivering the package to my door ...)

I eventually put a restraining order against the driver himself. I have videos of several issues he's caused and ALL of my neighbors signed the complaint.

I'll put up with them to get Hardkernel products, but put me on the list requesting DHL or just about anyone else as an alternative.
What box?
Technicavolous

languages_spoken: Southern US English
ODROIDs: :

XU4 -> CloudShell, BoomBonnet,
eMMC64/Ubuntu
eMMC16/Armbian

C2 -> VU7, HiFiShield2
SD/Ubuntu
eMMC16/Armbian

HC1 -> serial
SD/Ubuntu
SD/Armbian

Unread postby rooted » Tue May 29, 2018 2:54 am

Technicavolous wrote:
rooted wrote:What country? In the US FedEx is generally great.

Well, not down here in Central FL ...

Generally speaking, FedEX rarely damages packages where UPS does. But UPS has respect for property where FedEX does not ... DHL costs more but does everything right.

Hence the generally ;)

I agree, DHL is also a good company to work with but I believe they are limited where they deliver. They can be substantially more expensive is another problem.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby gounthar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:35 am

I am about to buy one XU4, but as I am in France, this makes me think I should maybe avoid it...
gounthar

languages_spoken: french

Unread postby williambradley » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Fedex is noramlly good , I like their service.
williambradley

Unread postby wtarreau » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:08 pm

So this time it's DHL being painful with the 4 Odroid-GO that I ordered.

They say that the value indicated on the shipping labels don't match (don't match what, I don't know). They're asking me for the invoice, which I don't have. I looked for the invoice number to use it on the odroid site but couldn't find it. The numbers they found on the parcel don't seem to match anything known.

I replied to the person "well, please open the parcel, there must be an invoice inside", and I got a vacation message in return, she'll be back on 7/23. So by then it's very likely that Odroid will get my parcel back :-( I still keep a rate of 100% failure with these shipping options. Every time I order here I start to stress because I predict that something will go wrong, and everytime it does. It's a shame, I like these products and their support in general, but shipping is what kills everything.

At least I hope I won't have to pay the shipping twice if they did a mistake on the labels or if DHL can't read :-(
wtarreau

Unread postby gounthar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Where are you located?
Pollin.de was my best option for Europe.
gounthar

Unread postby wtarreau » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks, that's good to know, especially since I never had any issue yet ordering from Germany (I'm in France). However they don't have the GO for now, so most likely one has to wait a bit before being able to order there.
wtarreau

Unread postby wtarreau » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Finally received my GO! I'd say that DHL and Fedex are no better than each other but almost work.
wtarreau

Unread postby gounthar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Pollin has ordered GO, but they haven't received them yet... and they don't know the retailing price yet.
gounthar

Unread postby nowerver » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:14 am

I used FedEx two times for shipping my graphics card and it came damaged both times. Never more. (Hungary)
nowerver

Unread postby gounthar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Pollin got their GO! 39,9€ + shipping.
gounthar

Unread postby Sentilix » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:29 pm

gounthar wrote:Pollin got their GO! 39,9€ + shipping.

But Pollin.de only ships within Germany :-(

France Robotique got GO! too - at I just got mine from there (delivered to Denmark).
Sentilix

ODROIDs: C1+, C2, U3, XU4+CS2, HC1, GO!

Unread postby gounthar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 pm

No, pollin.de sends in other countries too... I got my last order from them two weeks ago, and I am in France.
gounthar

Unread postby wtarreau » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Sentilix wrote:France Robotique got GO! too - at I just got mine from there (delivered to Denmark).

Oh cool, thanks for the link! I'm seeing they have quite a number of Hardkernel products there. They're obviously a bit more expensive, but when you factor in the taxes, shipping costs and the shipping hassles, it's very reasonable. I may try to get the N2 there once it's out :)
wtarreau

Unread postby elatllat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am

FedEx is probably the worst in Canada... why not just offer users the option what they would prefer as a shipping method? ... I think there is no other thread about this somewhere which suggests shipping from China and Amazon.
elatllat

ODROIDs: XU4, N1

Return to General Chat