No new boards coming from Hardkernel?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

No new boards coming from Hardkernel?

Unread postby mcoburn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:53 am

Greetings,

This is going to sound a little odd, and please don't take this as an insult or anything like that. This is just me possibly venting a little or an observation that I'm trying to express. Please don't take this the wrong way, I really do enjoy my ODROID-XU4 and other boards.

I would like to know a little about the roadmap for the new boards coming out from Hardkernel.

Right now, I've seen the most recent development one is the ODROID-C2 which is an Amlogic-based board. But on the Samsung Exynos platform front, what I see is slightly rehashed ODROID-XU boards being put into other form factors like the MC1 and such. But part of me just feels like Hardkernel hasn't really bothered lately to announce any new boards running on the newer Exynos platform.

Is this due to some contract issue with Samsung or is HK not interested in creating a new platform using either a 7000-series or newer Exynos chip? Or perhaps Samsung hasn't released the 7000-series for non-phone/non-tablet manufacturers yet?

I fully understand that you cannot give out information that is protected by NDAs, but I would like to ask if we can just get a general hint as to what the ODROID roadmap is. I really don't want to see Hardkernel go down with the Exynos 5xxx ship while the Exynos 7xxx or 8xxx ship sails or other boards start stomping all over the ODROID family boards.

Now you may be tempted to reply "well if you don't like HK then you can just use a different board platform lol"... but the fact of the matter is I have a lot of ODROID stuff. I'd hate to see the brand go to waste.

Is there some ace up Hardkernel's sleeve that will bring Hardkernel back to the finishing line?
M. Coburn
Coburn Tech Solutions
ODROIDs owned: ODROID-U2/ODROID-XU Rev 0.3 (20130717)/ODROID-C1/ODROID-XU4
Accessories: eMMC NAND modules, ODROID-VU, WiFi Modules, Serial Terminal to USB Adapter
mcoburn

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2, ODROID-XU, ODROID-C1

Re: No new boards coming from Hardkernel?

Unread postby memeka » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:43 pm

There was a new Odroid, the Odroid N1, which was supposed to be released a few months ago.
But because of RAM shortages, it was cancelled, and there is a new Odroid in the works, called the N2. It uses different type of RAM, which should be easier to buy.
It should be out in few months, I am hoping before Xmas :)

See viewtopic.php?f=149&t=31277
memeka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: No new boards coming from Hardkernel?

Unread postby mcoburn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:23 pm

So they are talking to another manufacturer about the Rockchip platform? That'll be interesting.

I'm all for a ODROID-XU like device that can do the same level of power but have a better GPU as the one in the current Exynos platform are getting on in age and the C2 only has a Mali 4xx series GPU, which is pretty weak when comparing it to newer GPUs. Heck, I'd love HK to adopt the Tegra CPUs; but that's neither here nor there.
M. Coburn
Coburn Tech Solutions
ODROIDs owned: ODROID-U2/ODROID-XU Rev 0.3 (20130717)/ODROID-C1/ODROID-XU4
Accessories: eMMC NAND modules, ODROID-VU, WiFi Modules, Serial Terminal to USB Adapter
mcoburn

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2, ODROID-XU, ODROID-C1

Return to General Chat