New odroid release

Unread postby audiotechguy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:46 pm

When is the new odroids going to be released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiotechguy

languages_spoken: english

Re: New odroid release

Unread postby Syn Gates » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 am

I'm also looking for this information, inform me if you have any news.
Last edited by Syn Gates on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syn Gates

ODROIDs: laptop

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 pm

There are no new odroid boards in the works at the moment, but follow the blog/magazine for any new announcements
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby elatllat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:03 am

Looking at the wiki edit history it would be a statistical anomaly if there was no new board in 2017. Not that, that's saying anything.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 16.02.00.png
(68.96 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
elatllat

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby rooted » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 am

elatllat wrote:Looking at the wiki edit history it would be a statistical anomaly if there was no new board in 2017. Not that, that's saying anything.

It would be but they have never had a device as popular as the C2 and XU4.

I think it makes sense to keep the C2 as it is with possibly one more revision to fix any outstanding hardware issues with no upgrade until next year.

The XU4 is begging for a full upgrade but we are just getting Linux kernel 4.9 and have yet to see all the possibilities that unlocks.

I actually feel it's the perfect time for a new device, a fourth tier of hardware. Something more powerful than the XU4, something with 4K VP9, HEVC, HDR10, Type C USB...etc but with full GPIO (40+ pins). Running on mainline is almost a necessity but at least a 4.y series kernel would be great.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 am

elatllat wrote:Looking at the wiki edit history it would be a statistical anomaly

:D

rooted wrote:I actually feel it's the perfect time for a new device

I want a new device just for the sake of having a new device! New device = new challenges. New challenges = new fun + new things that can be done.

I am rather surprised we have not seen a S912 based board yet. I think that although its the "perfect time" for a new device, its not the "perfect time" with regard to chips available. There should be "something better" (USB3?) from Amlogic before too much longer (we need a graph of Amlogic releases too!). So it probably makes more business sense to wait for whatever is next.
crashoverride

Unread postby nogareth » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 pm

I Can totally agree that we need a xu4 successor, since there are many new powerful Soc's out there at the moment. Besides that I also want a new toy! :D

But I'd prefer a new exynous or rockchip based device, not the Amlogic s912. I personally own a s912 Android tv box which works flawlessly (can really be recommended to others ...) , but the performance would be compared to the Xu4 not a step forward.

Antutu score:
Amlogic S912 ~35000
Xu4 (exynous) ~50000.....
nogareth

languages_spoken: english , german
ODROIDs: XU3

Unread postby olivierm » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

I would love Mali GPU to be given up for good on the next Odroid machines.
olivierm

languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: C1 /eMMC/LUbuntu
C2 / eMMC/Ubuntu
XU4 /eMMC/Gamestation Turbo

Unread postby crashoverride » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:18 pm

olivierm wrote:I would love Mali GPU to be given up for good on the next Odroid machines.

And replaced with what? The GPU story for ARM based SoCs is pretty much the same no matter what.

Right now, I think ARM Mali is the best (of the worst) GPUs available. The story for PowerVR is much more bitter (there is a long forgotten Odroid with PowerVR). Nvidia does not appear to license their design (and they are insanely expensive). AMD sold their offering to Qualcomm (Adreno). Intel does not license their offering. VC4 is obsolete (and disbanded/sold off). This makes the only other competitor I know of Vivante.

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury to pick-and-choose which GPU we get. A major SoC manufacturer does that and we get what ever they choose (which is usually Mali).
crashoverride

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm

crashoverride wrote:
olivierm wrote:I would love Mali GPU to be given up for good on the next Odroid machines.

And replaced with what? The GPU story for ARM based SoCs is pretty much the same no matter what.

Right now, I think ARM Mali is the best (of the worst) GPUs available. The story for PowerVR is much more bitter (there is a long forgotten Odroid with PowerVR). Nvidia does not appear to license their design (and they are insanely expensive). AMD sold their offering to Qualcomm (Adreno). Intel does not license their offering. VC4 is obsolete (and disbanded/sold off). This makes the only other competitor I know of Vivante.

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury to pick-and-choose which GPU we get. A major SoC manufacturer does that and we get what ever they choose (which is usually Mali).

+1
Exactly my thoughts ;)
GPU on ARM is not like on a PC where you can just swap it with everything you want and need. And without proper GPU drivers, the best GPU is useless under ARM (as the ODROID XU sadly proved).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby memeka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:41 pm

meveric wrote:
crashoverride wrote:

+1
Exactly my thoughts ;)
GPU on ARM is not like on a PC where you can just swap it with everything you want and need. And without proper GPU drivers, the best GPU is useless under ARM (as the ODROID XU sadly proved).

well, i did a lot of work that enabled kodi, wayland, and retroarch working nicely on the XU (using android drivers)
however, nobody else was interested in doing any work or helping out, also GPU was not in X11, so people stayed away.
so my opinion is not that the GPU was useless, but that people stayed away because it was useless in X11 - and this is reinforced now by having gnome3 working in wayland on xu4 and people also stay away because it's not X11 ... i am doing a lot of work and only a handful of people bothered to download my image just to see how it is...
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:07 pm

memeka wrote:well, i did a lot of work that enabled kodi, wayland, and retroarch working nicely on the XU (using android drivers)
however, nobody else was interested in doing any work or helping out, also GPU was not in X11, so people stayed away.
so my opinion is not that the GPU was useless, but that people stayed away because it was useless in X11 - and this is reinforced now by having gnome3 working in wayland on xu4 and people also stay away because it's not X11 ... i am doing a lot of work and only a handful of people bothered to download my image just to see how it is...

Problem is, that people like to use what they are used to and not switch over to stuff that is still unstable and requires a lot of work and tweaking.

For example, you take a retroarch that is compiled for X11 and it runs out of the box on ODROID X,X2,U2/U3,XU3/XU4,C1-Series (and C2 if you recompile it for arm64) no alteration needed.
Wayland on the other hand is not even available/usable for all ODROIDs.

You often say it's not stable, it's having crashes and other issues.
So it's understandable to stay with what you know and it's limitation, as long as it saves you tons of work.

I'm interested in your Wayland image as well.. But I wasn't able to try it yet, nor do I know if I'll actually have the time to try it at all.
Time is sadly very limited, and although there are tons of things I would like to try and put more time and effort into, I simply don't have the time for it.
And I bet others feel similar.

For me personal, putting a lot of effort into a unstable system that requires a lot of maintenance, tweaking and most likely rebuilding hundreds of packages is simply nothing that I can afford at the moment, since it would take away a lot of time from tons of other projects.
I don't even have time to explore Kernel 4.9 that much. I know it has a lot of issues, although I really love that using G2D now finally works.
But all the issues it has make it unusable for projects such as my GameStation Turbo image.

But I know how you feel, I rarely get any feedback to my work either.

I always found it fascinating what was possible with libhybris; but time to investigate it, nope, never had this.
I even hated to put effort into fbdev at all, the start of C2 was just terrible for me. fbdev drivers introduced so many new issues where days and days of trying to find workarounds went by without much success.
That's frustrating, and therefore sticking with "what you know" often just seems to be easier route.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby odroid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 am

memeka wrote:well, i did a lot of work that enabled kodi, wayland, and retroarch working nicely on the XU (using android drivers)

I believe Gnome and Wayland will be much more popular in 2018.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... next-year/
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby memeka » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:35 am

odroid wrote:I believe Gnome and Wayland will be much more popular in 2018.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... next-year/

that's surprising but good news! :D
i believe by 18.04, gnome3 will work on odroid w/o any patching required! (i've submitted some bug reports for odroids that i hope they'll be closed by then :D)
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby elatllat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am

The only use case for Wayland I have requires more RAM than SBCs offer, throw 6GB on one and I'll try to use it as a full desktop... so I'm excited the software is available for the next hardware evolution whenever that happens.
elatllat

ODROIDs: XU4

Return to General Chat