eMMC recovery tool for ODROID-U2/U3

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Re: eMMC recovery tool for ODROID-U2/U3

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:30 pm

is it a BLACK eMMC, or a blue or red eMMC module?

Black eMMC modules only work on C1/C2 devices.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby odchab » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 pm

red emmc module
odchab

ODROIDs: U3,C1

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:41 pm

odchab wrote:when i stop autoboot on recovery image - insert the emmc and run copy_uboot_sd2emmc

This is actually somewhat confusing, normally there's nothing you start manually.
You boot form SD card with the recoveryimage, plug in the eMMC module and connect the mico USB cable.
No starting of a program is required here. So I wonder what you actually did here.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby odchab » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am

ok first sorry for my bad english

i´ve tried the recovery procedure as described so many many times - no luck - after booting from sd card (attached terminal via ttl interface) no error message nothing, the blue led still blinking all time - it seemed that the procedure is not started by usb cable

- so i just tried, the manual method, as described here http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:emmc_recovery_u3

with the first try i´ve got the error message

now i´ve tried it again - and it works :D

i don´t know why the normal procedure start ist not invoked by attaching the usb cable

thank you for your help
odchab

ODROIDs: U3,C1

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:28 am

odchab wrote:i´ve tried the recovery procedure as described so many many times - no luck - after booting from sd card (attached terminal via ttl interface) no error message nothing, the blue led still blinking all time - it seemed that the procedure is not started by usb cable

Well blinking sounds fine, that is what it's suppose to do.
Then you connect the eMMC and do the micro USB and wait until it stops blinking.
But it only works if you connect a micro USB cable to the OTG port and plug the other end in another USB port (for example your PC or another system).
After that it should stop blinking after a short while.

But anyway, I'm glad it worked in the end for you :)
meveric

Unread postby wojtekrt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 am

exynos4412_emmc_recovery_from_sd_20140629.zip - not there anymore! please reupload
wojtekrt

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3+

Unread postby odroid » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:35 am

The link is updated.
It is working now.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby wojtekrt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Yup, it works alright. Thanks.

You might wanna do the same at the wiki thread http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... ecovery_u3.
wojtekrt

Unread postby wojtekrt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Actually I was to hasty to say that anything works, except the link itself.

There are major discrepancies between what happens in procedure and in reality.

1. Prepare a microSD card and flash the attached image. | no problems there, win32diskimager works fine and verifies
2. Boot with the microSD without eMMC | so I just plug in the power and power is on, alive blinks blue and fan goes steadily
Booting is my humble opinion is process of loading oper. sys. so... what about the next point?

3. Turn on U2/U3 and wait for a few seconds and blue LED will blink. | yeah, well you cannot turn odroid on after booting it.. it's the other way around. you can try pressing the power on button though but it doesn't do anything really.
4. Plug your eMMC module into U2/U3 | no changes there.
5. Plug micro-USB cable into U2/U3 and connect other side to your PC USB host or ODROID's USB host port. (This is a trigger to start the recovery) | "alive" diode goes steady blue for 1,5 seconds then fades and stays off. fan goes off, power diode stays red indicating that no one has pulled the plug out.
6. After recovery process (only a few seconds), the blue LED will turn off automatically. | Hope is for suckers
7. Finish. Install OS on your eMMC with as usual. | Finish -> go to the nearest bar and drink yourself to death because after restarting the usual appears: EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2) bad geometry.

UART procedure is even worse. No response from putty, black screen and wishful thinking instead.

I'm gonna hold on to this thread and update in a while. Maybe I'm missing something obvious to the procedure's author, maybe linked file "emmc_recovery_pegasus_20140629.img" is faulty or my hardware is worthless. IDK.
wojtekrt

Unread postby odroid » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 am

Is the Blue LED solid on when you connect the power with only eMMC?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby wojtekrt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 am

The "Alive" blue led blinks.

Problem was solved eventually. Just the right amount of rage and foul language can make miracles happen. I figured if it works for apes then maybe humans could profit too! My own caveman method:
Call the board some nasty adjectives about its mothers' occupation, its grandmothers' occupation etc, toss in some other groin-centered epithets, yell even from time to time, and voila! It went PING! Just around the nastiest story under Gods creation aka "ground-hog-day-rectal-adventure vol 2" I had quit the recovery. New system's on, QED.
wojtekrt

Previous

Return to General