[TOOLS] Cool-Retro-Term (Terminal Emulator in Retro Style)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

[TOOLS] Cool-Retro-Term (Terminal Emulator in Retro Style)

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:47 am

Cool Retro Term

Is an awesome Terminal Emulator which uses OpenGL ES 2.0 features like different shaders to brings retro feeling on your modern PC (or in our case ODROID ARM devices).

It looks awesome here some pictues from the developers site:

And here some pictures taken directly from the ODROID:

it's a really cool gimmic to play with and requires Qt5 (so you either need Ubuntu 14.04 or higher, or Debian Wheezy with Backports repository enabled)
It has tons of options to play around with and create the retro terminal you want :)

You can download it from my repository from the all/main package list (for armhf) or jessie/main package list (for arm64) with:
Code: Select all
apt-get install cool-retro-term

have fun with it :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Re: [TOOLS] Cool-Retro-Term (Terminal Emulator in Retro Styl

Unread postby Tpimp » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Work has begun on adding multi-session interaction to cool-retro-term. The developers have actually squelched the idea of adding "tabbed" sessions but instead have encouraged users to use an external system. With about 40 lines of code I added ability for multi-session terminal (without screen, or dvtm). There is no window/layout control like dvtm but this is a good proof of concept for the Odroid terminal to come. Also a cool note is I can draw custom widgets internally and receive the benefit of the shaders (see the odroid message box in middle)! I have only had a couple hours to look at the code and play with it but I have a clear strategy for execution laid out.

Pros: Can use Cool-retro-term shaders
Can use keyboard shortcut and mouse interaction (dvtm does now support mouse that I know of)

Cons: Does not support multiple colors
uses KSession for session management... would be better to use dvtm almost
Whole implementation is in QML -> not ideal for the dynamic creation of sessions, but works

Here is what it looks like so far (again this is live code running not a "design mock-up")

As the code progresses early builds will become available for my image and I will get a branch going on github. Hopefully my changes will get implemented in main-line.
Tpimp

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3, C1+, XU4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:54 pm

What do you mean by?
Tpimp wrote:Cons: Does not support multiple colors
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Tpimp » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 am

meveric wrote:What do you mean by?
Tpimp wrote:Cons: Does not support multiple colors

Per "profile" text and background yes. But, the background on that square is "red" for instance - But the shader turns everything green. I want the same look but I want colored output for GCC 5.1 to work as well. Currently they look like different. "shades". The way the text is drawn in code with the shaders doesn't make that an easy accomplishment. (And I understand it looking retro involves having one color, but it makes it less useful now).
Tpimp

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 am

Well you might want to try to switch to "IBM Dos" as a profile.. and see what happens ;)
meveric

Unread postby Tpimp » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:05 am

Switching to the profile works to "enable" colors (they weren't disabled before just part of the blending in the shader "theme-ifies" the text color).

But if you then change the foreground text color to a different color. You get the same problem.

After my patches, you will be able to choose "base font" color. So imagine if all the white text in "IBM Dos" could be chosen and all the other "naturally" occurring colors would remain their color.
Tpimp

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Update:
I've uploaded new packages for arm64 as well working on my Debian Jessie images.
meveric

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)