[GUIDE] Install Adobe Flash Player {Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Dev}

Miltos
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid U3
Been thanked: 0

[GUIDE] Install Adobe Flash Player {Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Dev}

Post by Miltos »

1. Download pepperflash from this address http://odroidxu.leeharris.me.uk/PepperF ... v7h.tar.gz

2. Untar, unzip whatever... just double click on it and extract to the current directory i.e /home/odroid/downloads...

3. ***I like to have all the priveleges for moving, copying, pasting files and folders without any restrictions*** so from the terminal type:

Code: Select all

sudo pcmanfm 
4. As a new window with pacmanfm will open go to the dir /home/odroid/download and right click pepperflash folder and choose copy (like in windows)...

5. Paste the copy folder from step 4 to dir /usr/lib/ ***this is very easy from the left pane of pacmanfm choose Filesystemroot and then on the right pane
you will see the /usr directory. Double click on it and presto!!! here you are in the desired dir i.e /usr/lib/***

6. From the terminal again type

sudo medit /etc/chromium-browser/default
***this will open the default file of chromium READY for edit as we opened
it with root priveleges.

7. Replace CHROMIUM_FLAGS="" line with

CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=11.7.700.225"
8. Close all windows and open Chromium...

9. Last step: on the address bar type chrome:plugins then press ENTER. Check [Always allowed] for Adobe Flash player.

10. Close Chromium and reboot your computer.

With next login you will have Chromium with Flash Player enabled! Enjoy!!!

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Re: [GUIDE] Install Adobe Flash Player {Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty

Post by Cartridge »

I'm not entirely positive about this statement I will make but...
I've been intalling "Google Chrome" Deb packages I found lying around the web which I haven't got around to try on my ODROID but there's flash 14.0 lying in a version 37 of Chrome. It's been working on Ubuntu Spins such as Pinguy, Xubuntu, some Taz type distros aswell like SliTaz and then there's the XZM type distro that works with it. Will give some feedback if the said deb package works on the ODROID.
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Post by Cartridge »

If only I can find the source code of these projects..
http://95.31.35.30/chrome/pool/main/g/g ... -unstable/
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Cartridge wrote:If only I can find the source code of these projects..
http://95.31.35.30/chrome/pool/main/g/g ... -unstable/
Those are only for x86 platform.
Google doesn't release the Chrome browser package for the generic ARM x11 platform.
So we need to use the Chromium with the dedicated optimized flash plugin for ARM too.

odroidmone
Has thanked: 0

Post by odroidmone »

It works, thanx a lot Miltos, for this really helpful description! I'm very happy that the swf-file runs on my new odroid.
BUT - it only works if the swf-file isn't local - it only works if I'd made an upload on my website! BUT - I'd like to open
my swf file local and I have the problem, by opening the swf-file in chromium, it always decides doing a download,
not to open it. please help me doing the last step to be totally happy! Thanx a lot!

poincare
languages_spoken: English, German, French
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4, ODROID C2, ODROID N2

Post by poincare »

Does this work with the PepperFlash-15.0.0.152.r2-armv7h.tar.gz file??

poincare
languages_spoken: English, German, French
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4, ODROID C2, ODROID N2

Post by poincare »

I cannot get flash to work. I follow the instructions but no flash sites work. Whenever I goto a flash site, chromium says Shockwave Flash has crashed. In the console window is this error message:

[151:151:0214/071943:ERROR:ppapi_thread.cc(281)] Failed to load Pepper module from /usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so (error: /usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied)
[142:142:0214/071944:ERROR:webplugin_delegate_proxy.cc(315)] Plug-in crashed on start  
Anyone know how to fix??

gripped
ODROIDs: U2 XU U3 XU3

Post by gripped »

poincare wrote:I cannot get flash to work. I follow the instructions but no flash sites work. Whenever I goto a flash site, chromium says Shockwave Flash has crashed. In the console window is this error message:

[151:151:0214/071943:ERROR:ppapi_thread.cc(281)] Failed to load Pepper module from /usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so (error: /usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied)
[142:142:0214/071944:ERROR:webplugin_delegate_proxy.cc(315)] Plug-in crashed on start  
Anyone know how to fix??
You may need to go to about:flags and enable Override software rendering list and add --use-gl=egl to the file /etc/chromium/default
Mine looks like

CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --use-gl=egl --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=16.0.0.296-r1"
Theres a thread about it
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=8267

On my server the latest I have is 16.0.0.296-r1 taken from my chromebook

http://odroidxu.leeharris.me.uk/
I'm not linking directly as the servers taking enough hammer from other forums and blogs as it is. :o

If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure
In the past any pepperflash past 12.0.0.7 would crash if Override software rendering list was disabled but video was black with it enabled.
At some chromium upgrade in the autumn the video started working with the newer versions of pepperflash.

I'm using Arch Linux. I don't know for sure if it will work on ubuntu or not but it should ?

drtaylorz
ODROIDs: u2,u3,xu3

Post by drtaylorz »

poincare wrote:I cannot get flash to work. I follow the instructions but no flash sites work. Whenever I goto a flash site, chromium says Shockwave Flash has crashed. In the console window is this error message:

Anyone know how to fix??
http://drtaylorz.blogspot.hu/2015/01/ar ... droid.html

odroid@odroid:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test

odroid@odroid:~$ sudo apt-get update

odroid@odroid:~$ sudo apt-get install g++-4.9

Return to “Ubuntu (All Linux'es)”