Installing Seafile server on Odroid

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

Installing Seafile server on Odroid

Unread postby mice777 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Seafile is cloud storage service to hold your files.
It's your private cloud server. And you can run it on your Odroid, I just tested this myself.

Since there's no mention about Seafile on this forum, I searched web, and successfully installed from tutorial for Raspberry PI.
mice777

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3

Re: Installing Seafile server on Odroid

Unread postby Leebejeebee » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:37 am

any working turorials on this? your link is down. fresh install of odroid jessie. tried the script but its banjaxed. tried 3 or 4 times and no use
Leebejeebee

ODROIDs: Xu4 c1+

Unread postby relima » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:57 pm

So I finally figured it out and managed to run Seafile on Odroid-C2! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It is much easier than I expected. I am running the raspberry server version of Seafile (v 6.6), available at https://github.com/haiwen/seafile-rpi/releases

On my Odroid-C2, I am running diet-pi, but I am sure it will also work with most other debian-based distributions.

Here goes the step-by-step, after booting up diet-pi, and connecting it to the internet:

Add armhf as a supported architecture:

dpkg --add-architecture armhf

Update your packages:
apt-get update

Install aptitude
apt-get install aptitude

Install libc6:armhf using aptitude*
aptitude install libc6:armhf

Download and untar Seafile
from https://github.com/haiwen/seafile-rpi/releases

Install seafile`s dependencies
sudo aptitude -y install python2.7 python-setuptools python-simplejson python-imaging sqlite3

Install seafile!
./setup-seafile.sh

Profit!

*The reason I am using aptitude to install libc6 is that diet-pi main aarch64 repository contains a newer libc6 than the one available at the armhf repository. However, aptitude detects this problem an offers you the possibility of downgrading automatically.

I find it awesome that armhf is compatible with aarch64! This approach can be used to run many other apps that are still not compiled especifically for aarch64.
relima

ODROIDs: ODROID C2

Unread postby Leebejeebee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Got it working in the end myself. Although I unplugged power by accident and now getting a boot error... Nothing to do with seafile but just trying to solve that first

Any knowledge on the fsck prompt you get by chance? Have read up on clearing the dirty bit but so far it's not working. :(
Leebejeebee

ODROIDs: Xu4 c1+

Unread postby meveric » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 pm

I checked a little bit in that topic and it's a little bit complicated , but this should work natively on arm64 as well.
I was able to successfully compile the seafile-gui client for both armhf and arm64, means the client software is already running on ODROIDs and you should be able to access any seafile server with it.

Compiling the server is a little bit more complicated, but also should be able to run natively on either armhf or arm64, so you don't actually have to use armhf package to get it to work on the C2.

Still as I said, compiling the server is a little more complicated, or better the packaging of the server is.
Server and client share a lot of code, still the server installs the same libraries as the client and doesn't use the libraries of the client. This could be messy.
Also the Web-Server (called seahub) is running on python and wants to install a lot of dependencies using pip (which I'm not a fan of).

Edit:
Client is uploaded:
viewtopic.php?p=171737#p171737

I will check further into the Server and how to get it packaged.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby hermestrismegistos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi,

I just read your posting towards compiling seafile server for aarch64 platform. Despite your last posting on this has been quite a long time ago, I'd like to know whether you succeeded to compile (and package) seafile server and its components for aarch64? I am not using a ODROID board, but ROCK 64, which has aarch64 architecture, too. I tried in vain to compile it due to the manual of the seafile guys (following both instructions for raspberry pi and native linux), but it failed early to build the ccnet-component.

I would be glad to get some hints how you managed to build seafile for aarch64.
hermestrismegistos

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:39 pm

I started with the seafile server, but as you said, the guide was not very good and you and up with a bunch of different binaries, and no folders or anything to install them, so I let it be.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby hermestrismegistos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:14 pm

OK, so you've abstained from using seafile-server natively as arm64? AFAIK see you managed to compile ccnet for seafile-client. Don't server and client share the same libraries? Is there perhaps a good guide for the client which could be adopted for bulding the server?
hermestrismegistos

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 pm

To be honest, I haven't had any issues with compiling server or client.. I still have a compiled version of the server component...
just never got around to try and test it.. the setup of the server is more complicated than compiling the code.
a simple ./configure and make was all that was needed to compile the server.
meveric

Unread postby hermestrismegistos » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 am

So what build environment did you use? Did you follow the recommendation of the seafile manual? I would be glad for some information on the platform, OS and libraries / packages you installed in order to get the server compiled or anyhow description how you succeeded.
Thank you!
hermestrismegistos

Unread postby meveric » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 am

I compiled natively on the C2.
I used Debian Jessie at that time.
Everything that is missing ./configure should complain and you can simply install it.
I don't remember what exactly I installed I have a C2 that is meant only for building packages... it has so many packages installed, that it's hard to tell what I had to add for this particular project, maybe nothing.
meveric

I replaced Seafile with syncthing

Unread postby DHGE » Fri May 11, 2018 9:32 pm

I used Seafile for about two years on my NAS (Raspi/Odroid).
The only issue I had with it was the manual upgrades (lots of copying, typing on the console) from time to time but they went smooth.

https://syncthing.net/

syncthing's main points:
- open source
- has native deb support for updates
- great gui, webbased
- truly distributed, every device is server/client, fast
- integrated in the gui of OMV which I use on my NAS-devices
DHGE

languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: XU-4, hc1

Unread postby rooted » Sat May 12, 2018 12:49 am

+1 for Syncthing

Even though that is not what they inquired about.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)