[TOOLS] Jitsi - Instant Messenger

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

[TOOLS] Jitsi - Instant Messenger

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Not sure if you heard about it, but ever since the NSA / Snowden affair, people looking into more privacy, and there are a couple of open source projects, that hit on that topic too.

Jitsi is a multi protocol messenger (like pidgin or miranda) it supports many different protocols and also voice and video chat.

I made a quick and dirty build for the odroid. Since Jitsi is running on java, it runs on every platform.. and can run just fine on ODROID as long as you have java installed. (i used openjdk-6)

One thing that is nice with jitsi is, that it offers end-to-end encryption of chat, voice and video.. so everything you talk about is secure.

If you want to give it a try you can download it from my repository:
Code: Select all
wget http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository/all/jitsu-odroid_2.3.0-1_armhf.deb
dpkg -i jitsu-odroid_2.3.0-1_armhf.deb

(yeah i know, i kinda messed up the name^^)

This is just a "give it a try" build... i tried audio calls but it did not find any audio device to capture the voice from, i tried sharing the desktop which resulted in a secured video transmission, but i never actually saw a picture.. maybe it's just me. :ugeek:
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Re: [TOOLS] Jitsi - Instant Messenger

Unread postby chnyc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 am

Hi,

I've been working with Jitsi on the Beaglebone Black and RPi with very uneven results. I'm considering moving to Odroid instead, but haven't worked with the platform. Would you mind sharing a bit more about your experience with video chat on the Odroid and some of the tools/specs/environment you're developing on?

Thanks for any guidance.
Charles
chnyc

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 am

I didn't do much checking on this, since i never had a WebCam connected.
I only used it for text messages and file transfer.
I also couldn't get the audio input to run properly.. so i couldn't do voice-chat either.. but i didn't put much effort in this, since i'm not too much into java-debugging

i used an local ejabberd server for transport as well as the Jitsi Jabber Server.. and used openjdk-6 to run Jitsi.
What more information do you need/want?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby chnyc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:25 am

Thanks for your reply, Meveric. This was helpful.

Regards,
Charles
chnyc

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby sudewa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:14 pm

I am trying to build jitsi for the latest version for odroid. Would it be possible to share build instructions? Thanks.
sudewa

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 pm

it's been ages since I've last build it.. I probably can't help you here.
meveric

Unread postby sudewa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks for your reply meveric.

Just for your info, I managed to install your build in XU4 and got messaging working.
sudewa

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: XU4

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)