[HOW-TO] Finding your ODROID IP Address - Headless

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

[HOW-TO] Finding your ODROID IP Address - Headless

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Finding your ODROID's IP Address - from your laptop/desktop computer for remote access like SSH or RDP.

You can find your ODROID by doing what's known as an "IP Scan" across your whole network. Most home networks will have about 254 possible combinations of IP address, so looking at them all is an easy task for a computer.
I tried something called Angry IP Scanner ( http://angryip.org/ ), this runs on Linux, MacOS X or Windows and lets you scan your entire local network to find devices- including any ODROID's you might be running.
When you run Angry IP Scanner it should automatically pick a sensible IP Range for you- all you need to do is press Start and keep an eye out for your ODROID. It was much more comfortable than the nmap command for me.

As you can see above, Angry IP Scanner found my ODROID on the local network with its default hostname of "odroid.local" in official Ubuntu image.

Things to remember
1. Your ODROID may have a different IP address depending on whether it's connected to WiFi or Ethernet, and that address might even change from time to time. If you ever find yourself unable to connect, you can always double-check!
2. Some other OS images might not have the Hostname. So you have to try to access the IP with SSH not to miss your ODROID.
3. If you don't like the GUI IP scanner(Angry IP), you can use simpler "nmap" command. https://nmap.org/
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: [HOW-TO]Finding your ODROID IP Address - Headless

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

For the sake of completeness, here's the nmap syntax to search for hosts with port 22 in the subnet 192.168.228.0/24:

Code: Select all
$ nmap -sV -p 22 192.168.228.0/24

Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-07-20 15:39 EEST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.228.1
Host is up (0.00019s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp open  ssh     OpenSSH 7.2p2 Ubuntu 4ubuntu2.2 (Ubuntu Linux; protocol 2.0)
Service Info: OS: Linux; CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel

Nmap scan report for 192.168.228.10
Host is up (0.00097s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp open  ssh     OpenSSH 7.2p2 Ubuntu 4ubuntu2.2 (Ubuntu Linux; protocol 2.0)
Service Info: OS: Linux; CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel

Nmap scan report for 192.168.228.70
Host is up (0.031s latency).
PORT   STATE    SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp filtered ssh

You can find which devices have ssh enabled, though you won't know which is the Odroid. In my example above, .10 is the Odroid.
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)