[TOOLS] hd-idle

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

[TOOLS] hd-idle

Unread post by meveric » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:17 pm

It seems to be a common issue with some USB harddrives, that they do not spin down in idle mode.
For some this might be a good thing, others may not like this, and wish their harddrive would spin down.

I have a WD Elements harddrive which is one of these devices, that refuse to spin down automatically, after some reasearch I found "hd-idle" a tool that can spin down your harddrive if it's no longer in use.

How it works:
It constantly checks the read and write cycles on the harddrive and if they don't change anymore, that means the disk is into idle mode. After a set amount of time, it sends the spin down command to the disk.

While this works in most cases, there is still the case where you just check informations on the HDD (for example with smartmon-tools or hdparm) these will not trigger any read/write cycles, but still spin up the HDD.
Still all other cases, should work fine so I'm offering this tool for users that want to control their harddrive spin down time, while their HDD does not have support for it.

you can download the tool either for armhf from my all/main package list, or for arm64 from jessie/main package list with:

Code: Select all

apt-get install hd-idle
You have to configure the tool in /etc/default/hd-idle where you can add your harddrives as well as times when you want it to spin down.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “Ubuntu (All Linux'es)”