ODROBIAN Project (Debian/Repository/Documentation)

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

ODROBIAN Project (Debian/Repository/Documentation)

Unread postby XeoSal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:03 pm

I have been working on ODROBIAN for quite some months, I started with the ODROID C1/C1+ as my first device from HardKernel, now I have a repository hosted by @mdrjr along with my own pre-built Debian Jessie distribution supporting all current ODROIDs available on sale at the moment.

Lately, I started to document my work on the repository as HTML files and I have some cool packages there, I also set a lot of standards along with rules and default settings that apply exactly the same to all ODROBIAN 2.0 platforms, so I thought of sharing what I have here in this thread.

What is ODROBIAN?
ODROBIAN is a pure, clean and lightweight Debian community distribution built specifically for ODROID single board computers. My project is about getting the best experience out of Linux built upon Debian for ODROIDs, since there ain't any official images for this particular platform while it's mostly known for stability over ubuntu, the main goal is to represent a perfectly working OS with the least issues possible, hopefully.

ODROBIAN images normally come with two editions:
  • Debian Desktop (MATE)
  • Debian Vanilla (PURE)
MATE is known to be one of the most functional environments ever, it's an easy-to-use operating system with a configurable desktop environment allowing a lot of customization and it's just as lightweight as it can ever get. In fact, I still provide a pure Debian Jessie version that's pre-configured with everything necessary for an ODROID to function perfectly such as:
  • ROOT Filesystem auto-resize & SSH keys re-generation upon first boot.
  • You can SSH right into the device directly after flashing.
  • You can generate random hostnames based on "MAC" to differentiate between multiple ODROIDs.
  • Automatic network settings are configured by default with DHCP.
  • Default login regular "sudo user" which is "odroid" pre-assigned with legit groups.
  • Flexible and definitely a great choice for development & servers.
  • Ability to install any desktop environment you desire.
  • All required stock platform material including scripts, udev rules and config files are installed by default..
  • Pure, lightweight and very stable.
For more information, take a look here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/odrobian/

Current Debian Releases
Debian Jessie images built for ODROIDs:

ODROID-C1/C1+/C0
Supports ARMv7 and it's esteemed to be the most powerful low-cost single board 32bit computer available, as well as being an extremely versatile device. Community support
ODROID-XU3/XU4
Supports ARMv7 and it's the world's first single board 32bit computer with a Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) CPU featuring octa-cores. Community support
ODROID-C2
Supports ARMv8 and it's esteemed to be the most powerful low-cost single board 64bit computer available, as well as being an extremely versatile device. Community support

Repository Packages List
Actually, odrobian is having two branches by default right now with "armhf" and also some "arm64" packages available, the "odroid" branch is meant specifically to work on any Ubuntu/Debian based system with any code name, it's also meant NOT to conflict with the official Ubuntu repository from HardKernel, meaning you can have it there without breaking anything, it will just add new packages that you can use. What packages are available?

• odroid (Any Ubuntu/Debian Release)
    • main (ODROIDs/ARMv7/ARMv8)
    • s805 (C1/C1+)/C0)
    • 5422 (XU3/XU4)
    • s905 (C2)
  • jessie (Debian Jessie only)
    • main (ODROIDs/ARMv7/ARMv8)
    • s805 (C1/C1+/C0)
    • 5422 (XU3/XU4)
    • s905 (C2)
The tree is growing within time, I will be compiling and adding some more useful packages during the next couple of weeks. Currently, this is mostly useful for Debian Jessie and this distribution specifically, you can integrate this into your own Debian/Ubuntu system if you wish, I will be explaining an "HOWTO" somewhere below.

(HowTo) Integrate Repository to Any Debian/Ubuntu
You don't need any of this if you are using one of my stock images, also please note that you have to apply this to your system only ONCE, if you haven't done it before. First step is exporting the repository Public Key to your system trusted zone:

Code: Select all
odroid:$ sudo -s
odroid:# wget -O- http://oph.mdrjr.net/odrobian/public-key.asc | apt-key add -

You probably should determine what branch contains packages that you are after, so that you can decide which apt-list you need according to the reference shown to you above under "Our Repository" section, if you are running your own Debian Jessie distribution then my stock ones are probably best for you.

You should put your chosen lists inside the apt sources directory which is (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/) like this::

odroid:# cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
odroid:# wget *

(*) = List Download Link

This is just one time shot step as well, you have to import each particular apt-list to sources directory only ONCE, if you haven't done it before.

ODROBIAN Documentation

• ODROID Chipset Reference
    • SOC: AMLogic s805 on ODROID C1/C1+/C0
    • SOC: AMLogic s905 on ODROID C2
    • SOC: Samsung Exynos 5422 on ODROID XU3/XU4
  • Getting Started
    • What is ODROBIAN?
    • Download OS Images
    • Flashing OS (eMMC/SD)
    • Default Login User
    • ROOT (Experts-ONLY)
  • Advice & Tips
    • Timezone, location & locales
    • Enable Logical 2GB RAM for S805
    • Boot into Console (Disable X11)
    • Firmware Drivers (linux, realtek, ralink, etc)
    • Skip Login Screen (Auto-Start MATE Desktop)
  • Updating Software & Kernel
    • Update Regular Software & Applications
    • Upgrade Kernel
    • Kernel Headers & Source
  • Web Browser Experience
    • Native 3D EGL Acceleration
    • Adobe Flash Player (Pepper Library)
  • ODROID CPU Clocking
    • Show CPU Information (All ODROIDs)
    • CPU Clocking (s805-ONLY)
      • Overclocking
      • Underclocking
    • CPU Clocking (5422-ONLY)
      • Governors
      • Underclocking
    • Advanced CPU Control (All ODROIDs)
    • Default Clock Rate (All ODROIDs)
  • Multimedia & Kodi
    • Watching Video Streams
    • Download YouTube Videos
    • Auto-Start Kodi after Booting
  • Vanilla Section
    • Automatic Network Settings
    • Set Network Hostname
    • Install Desktop Environment with Tasksel
  • ORGA
    • Introduction
    • Tips
    • Mediacenter
    • Retrogaming
  • Docker
    • What is Docker?
    • Getting Started
      • Installation
      • Add User "odroid" to Docker Group
      • Test Docker
    • Image Containers
      • Examples
      • Find More Images
      • Run Images
    • Save/Load Containers
  • Stock Platform Material
    • All
    • s805
  • Examples
    • ODROID CPU Control Utility
  • Changelogs
    • ODROBIAN-1.X
      • Changelog for s805
      • Changelog for 5422
    • ODROBIAN-2.X
      • Changelog for s805
      • Changelog for 5422
Plans (work-in-progress)

• Produce as many documents for the system as possible (LIRC, CloudShell, Hifi-Shield, etc) for Debian.
  • Compile Docker to provide packages on our repository and support it in ODROBIAN, generally.
  • Prepare a set of packages for Entertainment and Retrogaming based on Mali-x11.
  • Start developing packages for Ubuntu Xenial by opening a separate repository branch.
What now? I am currently accepting requests for compiling applications on your wish list as Debian packages available here. I can also create more documents based on your suggestions, while you can still contribute to this project by submitting a documentation article for ODROBIAN written by you.
Last edited by XeoSal on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Re: ODROBIAN Project (Debian/Repository/Documentation)

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:55 pm

I have just compiled Docker (version 1.11.0) for Debian Jessie from the mainline source git, it's available now on our repository under (jessie/main) branch along with some documentation to get you started, and there's still more to come.

Next target pacakges:
  • Docker Machine
  • Docker Swarm
  • Docker Composer
Main post is edited with related information.

New Plans:
  • Documentation for troubleshooting and some FAQ.
  • ORGA Entertainment system for X11 supporting both s905/5422.
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Could you add Handbrake to your package list? I compiled it for personal use (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=16863&p=110887&hilit=handbrake), but it's not the best packaging example. Let me know if you need help compiling it (it's documented in Odroid Magazine November issue).
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:33 am

mad_ady wrote:Could you add Handbrake to your package list? I compiled it for personal use (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=16863&p=110887&hilit=handbrake), but it's not the best packaging example. Let me know if you need help compiling it (it's documented in Odroid Magazine November issue).

Of course, here you go, the package "handbrake-cli" is now available in (jessie/main) and I made sure to package it according to the proper Debian standards. Ahh, the article written on ODROID Mag is definitely helpful. :)

New Standard Packages:
  • ffmpeg (version 2.6.5) packaged properly
  • libswresample1
  • libx264 (Dependency of handbrake)
  • libx265 (Dependency of handbrake)
  • libpostproc
Assuring better multimedia compatibility.
XeoSal

Unread postby b52apl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:31 am

I can't boot to init the OS for the first time. I have used the same equipment and microSD cards to try the Hardkernel Ubuntu 14.04_lts and OpenELEC without any problems. The problem starts with

mmblk0: r/w command failed, status=0x800000b00
end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, logical block 7593983

It goes on a bit, but you get the idea. I never get to the first OS prompt, either with MATE or vanilla. I've noticed other error reports from over a year ago on this. I think you have an old microSD driver in your images which makes your software more sensitive to the choice of microSD card than the other versions I tried. My microSD cards are a Patriot and a Silicon Power both 32 gigs. The documentation for the C!+ says that you don't have to be careful any more about which microSD cards you use.

I am really motivated to try your image because I want to use kodi as a regular application and not as the only thing I can see, like OpenELEC. I thought I would be able to use GRUB with the Hardkernel Ubuntu to at least get a multi boot, but GRUB does not seem to be there. Thanks for your help.
b52apl

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:35 am

b52apl wrote:I think you have an old microSD driver in your images which makes your software more sensitive to the choice of microSD card than the other versions I tried. My microSD cards are a Patriot and a Silicon Power both 32 gigs. The documentation for the C!+ says that you don't have to be careful any more about which microSD cards you use.

Hello my friend, I am sorry but let me tell you that this is so UNTRUE, the microSD driver isn't something integrated into the filesystem nor the OS binaries, I simply can't flash an old software driver unless I am using an old kernel/uboot, if you understand the process correctly you would know that there are still problems with either the device driver or the hardware storage device of on C1/C1+.

First of all let me clear confusions about what you think of my image, I have always been working to provide the latest software available and implement new technical patches, the booting process itself depends mostly on four things:

• The MicroSD card reader integrated into the hardware of course.
  • The bootloader "UBOOT" binary blobs flashed into the BOOT partition.
  • The device driver integrated into the kernel.
  • Settings, configurations and the nature of a particular environment on booting.
Where does odrobian for ODROID C1/C1+/C0 falls here?
  • Everybody has the exact same storage device of MicroSD obviously.
  • Odrobian has the exact same binary "UBOOT" blob provided by HardKernel.
  • I am using the exact same device driver of the kernel.
  • Here! ? !
Debian is Debian, it's not Ubuntu and it's not an OpenELEC. I can make your SD card work if you change some settings in "boot.ini" and "/etc/fstab" but that isn't meaning ODROID-C1+ doesn't have issues with SD, it still does. Check this:

XeoSal wrote:There is workaround however, your SD card is not fully compatible with the ODROID-C1 running on Debian Jessie, just to let you know, try this:

On your main LInux workstation access the files on your SD card and make some changes to the "/etc/fstab" file:

Find:
UUID=f6939b56-f9a7-4815-bac3-aca25235ee14

Replace with:
/dev/mmcblk0p2

Also, open the boot partition and edit on the "boot.ini" file:

Find:
root=UUID=f6939b56-f9a7-4815-bac3-aca25235ee14

Replace with
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2

To get the best experience out of odrobian for C1/C1+, you should definitely get a fully supported card with the all the features like "Sandisk Ultra" as an example (or just an eMMC).

Additionally, if you want to provoke the situation and make it exactly identical to the ubuntu image released by HardKernel, make sure to integrate an "uInitrd" generated by UBUNTU initramfs-tools on my Debian boot partition, that's how you should get to the same booting condition, while the "uInitrd" binary generated by Debian initramfs-tools differs from this one on Ubuntu producing a completely different condition on-boot, even though I am using a version of busybox from ubutnu involved in the initramfs generation process just to make resolution script work.

Now, if there is a way to make it boot somehow on these type of SD cards, once again it means that there are still some instability issues affecting the ODROID C1/C+ related to SD cards. A developer have reported there are some issues on Debian Jessie when it comes to booting compared to ubuntu, he probably wasn't aware it only happens in specific brands only:

TomB wrote:# ROOT_DEV is needed for jessie, it will cause boot.ini to boot from /dev/mmcblk0p2 rather than from UUID.
# For some reason, booting by UUID is broken with jessie...
ROOT_DEV := /dev/mmcblk0p2

This was not the case for Wheezy! Yes, my distribution is relying on UUID to boot and I am not going to change this, if you have a problematic SD card in your case make the necessary changes or just use a fully supported one, because booting from UUID along with variable of rootfs stated in "/etc/fstab" is going to be a STANDARD on my images including the ones for the upcoming ODROIDs while in fact, using UUID is simply better in my opinion.

Why? Because getting these problematic cards to work will only cause issues in the long term, I can't even guarantee that they would work as expected and carry the same reliability as a perfectly working one. Also, if you face issues that's related to this, you will assume there is something wrong with the system while there is not. That's why I will keep my system to boot from UUID, I recommend to everybody to buy compatible ones.

If you are still not convinced with this, while your SD card works on the official ubuntu image, trust me there is no serious reason to use my image over the other one it just depends on your preference, I have also just released some KODI 16.0 Jarvis packages for trusty, check it out here.

b52apl wrote:I am really motivated to try your image because I want to use kodi as a regular application and not as the only thing I can see, like OpenELEC. I thought I would be able to use GRUB with the Hardkernel Ubuntu to at least get a multi boot, but GRUB does not seem to be there. Thanks for your help.

Yeah exactly, I wouldn't have released this image beside OpenELEC if computers nowadays are about using KODI, it's just ridiculous for me PERSONALLY to use an operating system that's only running as media center while you can have a prefect Linux environment for development or a full-blown desktop system with KODI installed beside already. This is not what development boards are about, I am here mostly to educate myself and discover new ways to enjoy my interests and hobbies. I want to be surprised of what these small boards can do and show everybody how great and capable machines they are.

Finally, regarding GRUB which is only available for X86 platforms, if you want to multi-boot you have to follow a different approach for "uboot" I think you should find a tutorial on the ODROID Magazine, it's a big and great source of information for our ODROIDs.

Thank you very much for feedback. :)
XeoSal

Unread postby b52apl » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:18 am

Since this is a fairly serious limitation which is not obvious to a noob like me, I recommend you post it prominently in your download instructions. I would also recommend that you post a detailed list of cards that work, including links to Amazon. You need this because the Odroid forums are not consistent on this topic. On one of the forums it said a 16GB PNY UHC-1 card worked. I tried it last night with no luck. The difference between Lief Ericsson and Christopher Columbus was documentation.
B52apl
b52apl

Unread postby nogareth » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:07 pm

@b52apl,

I doubt it would make sense to say "this card works, that not..." . So far I've used about 10 different cards, from no name, 4gb class 2 to Kingston 32gb sped-class U3 including 2 high speed ultra cards from SanDisk that are reported to have issues.
I've never had any issues with none of them. So I guess if your card works or not depends mostly on the card itself or maybe your odroid, and not the cards manufacturer or speed class.
nogareth

languages_spoken: english , german
ODROIDs: XU3

Unread postby XeoSal » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:05 am

nogareth wrote:@b52apl,

I doubt it would make sense to say "this card works, that not..." . So far I've used about 10 different cards, from no name, 4gb class 2 to Kingston 32gb sped-class U3 including 2 high speed ultra cards from SanDisk that are reported to have issues.
I've never had any issues with none of them. So I guess if your card works or not depends mostly on the card itself or maybe your odroid, and not the cards manufacturer or speed class.

That's because you are using cards with noname, yes it makes sense to prepare a list of some perfectly working SD cards produced by a genuine manufacturer like SandDisk, Samsung, Transcend, Toshiba, etc and just forget about these unbranded ones.

Listing every single one that work or the opposite isn't necessary, just make sure to include a feasible amount of card types, this way user will not find difficulty picking what's needed even if it was a list containing only 10 options. Besides that, @b52apl never said that he wants anybody to include the ones that ain't working as well, he just said:

b52apl wrote: I would also recommend that you post a detailed list of cards that work, including links to Amazon.

Although, I don't have to do this by myself, I can just make use of what people are reporting.
XeoSal

Unread postby REVERSE » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:01 am

XeoSal, thank you for your excellent work! My Odroid-C1 is working pretty good!

I would like to be in our repos some decent version of nginx. Debian has only 1.6.2, but there is 1.9.0+ already.

Also, i noticed some sort of bug in cpuctrl utility or something. If I change governor the frequency does not change. It boots with performance governor that is not changing Freq, and after changing it to interactive or ondemand the frequency stays always 1.54Ghz.
REVERSE

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby XeoSal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:29 pm

REVERSE wrote:XeoSal, thank you for your excellent work! My Odroid-C1 is working pretty good!

I would like to be in our repos some decent version of nginx. Debian has only 1.6.2, but there is 1.9.0+ already.

Also, i noticed some sort of bug in cpuctrl utility or something. If I change governor the frequency does not change. It boots with performance governor that is not changing Freq, and after changing it to interactive or ondemand the frequency stays always 1.54Ghz.

Hey man,
This is not an issue, the A5 cores integrated into the AMLogic s805 soc are very small, that Linux kernel will push them to the max even with on-demand/interactive governors, if you want something that works and acts like an "on-demand" then go for the conservative governor.

Regarding applications that need to be ported, I will be porting some important packages from the Debian "stretch" branch as requested by users. But first, I am currently working on two tools for odrobian, the "insta-ORGA" and "ODROBIAN-hook" which are in development, these are going to be very functional utilities with tons of options.

They will depend on flags to perform actions like this "ODROBIAN-hook --enable-zram --disable-lightdm --enable-passthrough --enable-alsa" as an example so I need to finish this. At the moment, I am busy trying to get Mali-X11 packages for ORGA to work as good as I want for both s805/5422.
XeoSal

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:25 pm

I too have noticed that the C1 keeps using the max frequency on the regular governors. With conservative it reduces the frequency to 600MHz when idle. You can force it lower by using the -M switch and set a new max frequency.
mad_ady

Unread postby XeoSal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Hey guys!! I am so glad to announce my news related to the ORGA Entertainment System built under X11 for Desktop environments, simply very user friendly for people. It's available for both s805/5422 including the ODROID XU4, I have pushed my last changes to the "insta-ORGA" tool, it's now a fully featured utility.

First thing you have to do before running this utility and it's very important, is making sure you have the latest version everytime:

odroid:# apt-get update && apt-get install odrobian-platform-*

Now, go ahead and check it out through (insta-ORGA --help):

== ORGA Entertainment System ==
Run with '--help' flag for more information.

Usage: insta-ORGA --FLAGS

You should configure your ORGA installation with flags:
    --defaults      Install ORGA with default settings automatically.
    --mali=x11      Enable Mali-GPU desktop acceleration for X11. (default)
    --mali=fbdev    Enable Mali-GPU acceleration for Direct FrameBuffer device.
    --kodi=false    exclude Kodi media center from ORGA.
    --kodi=true     Include Kodi media center to ORGA. (default)
    --sound=alsa    Option to force ALSA sound driver.
    --sound=pulse   Option to keep PULSE sound driver. (default)
    --lightdm=false Manually start GUI for Desktop Environment.
    --lightdm=true  Auto-Start GUI with lightdm. (default)
    --help          Show help and information.

Utility:
    --upgrade           Keep ORGA up-to-date with emulation software.
    --update-cfg        Restore/update configs for all emulation applications.
    --enable-autostart  Autostart Emulationstation directly after booting.
    --disable-autostart Revert autostart back to default.

Examples:
    insta-ORGA --mali=x11 --kodi=true --sound=pulse --lightdm=true
    insta-ORGA --mali=fbdev --kodi=true --sound=alsa --lightdm=false
    insta-ORGA --update-cfg
    insta-ORGA --enable-autostart

Automatic:
    insta-ORGA --defaults
    insta-ORGA (No Flags - Run Customization Wizard)

Do not bother forcing ALSA over pulse if you are using the X11 version, I have prepared my scripts to automatically decide when to use ALSA for emulation and when to prefer PULSE for desktop use. It seems that ODROID XU4 can't give sound properly from Kodi while ALSA is activated however, don't worry it will enable required optimizations for it by default!

For games & emulation it will completely disable PulseAudio and use Alsa as an exclusive input/output device on all platforms, when using an ODROID C1/C+ it will still use Alsa for Kodi because it's better on this particular platform. If you want to install with my default settings optimized for your specific ODROID platform you should definitely install the whole thing with this:

odroid:# insta-ORGA --defaults

Defaults = ( --mali=x11 --kodi=true --sound=pulse --lightdm=true )

Switch World (From ORGA X11 to ORGA Fbdev)
odroid:# insta-ORGA --mali=fbdev --kodi=true --sound=alsa --lightdm=false

Switch World (From ORGA Fbdev to ORGA X11)
odroid:# insta-ORGA --mali=x11 --kodi=true --sound=pulse --lightdm=true

For ODROID XU4 I only recommend X11 version, at the moment. Anyways, lets keep it short, I started documenting everything related to this here.
Last edited by XeoSal on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
XeoSal

Unread postby AndTheCookies » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:57 am

What problems currently exist with the fbdev setup? Could they be ironed out over time, or is the solution unknown?
AndTheCookies

ODROIDs: ODROID U3
ODROID XU4

Unread postby XeoSal » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:30 am

Hey guys, here's some more packages upladed recently to the repository:

• otter-browser (v0.9.10)
    • A lightwieght hardware accelerated web browser supporting OpenGLES/WebGL.
  • emulationstation-odrobian
    • Optimized specifically for Mali-X11
  • retroarch-odrobian
  • sdl2-odrobian
  • s805-lirc
    • Instantly configure LIRC for OS/Kodi with the IR Remote sold in Hardkernel stores.
  • xboxdrv-odrobian
    • XBOX userspace gamepad drivers.
XeoSal

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:24 pm

@XeoSal: you're making it more and more difficult for me to choose Hardkernel's Ubuntu over your Debian build...
mad_ady

Unread postby AndTheCookies » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:23 am

XeoSal wrote:Hey guys, here's some more packages upladed recently to the repository:

• emulationstation-odrobian

• retroarch-odrobian

• sdl2-odrobian

If I install a fresh image, will these be installed by default?
AndTheCookies

ODROIDs: ODROID U3
ODROID XU4

Unread postby XeoSal » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:57 am

AndTheCookies wrote:
If I install a fresh image, will these be installed by default?

As I stated on my first post, this distro is a pure and clean Debian OS, the Vanilla/Desktop images will have necessary applications for your particular environment and nothing more/less, everything else is YOUR CHOICE. You can have these applications directly installed by issuing one command:

odroid:$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install emulationstation-odrobian retroarch-odrobian libsdl2-odrobian

Currently, I am aiming to make it even more clean, I will exclude all scripts related to overclock/underclock/CPU/insta-ORGA/etc from my "odrobian-platform" package (BSP) and provide them as separate packages optionally.

mad_ady wrote:@XeoSal: you're making it more and more difficult for me to choose Hardkernel's Ubuntu over your Debian build...

Thank you my friend for encouraging feedback. I am working for more things as well, I will soon publish my new packages and changes. :)

New packages uploaded/updated recently:
  • synapse (Suggested by @mrneilypops)
    • A graphical launcher enabling you to start applications and also to quickly find and access relevant documents and files
  • s805-lirc (Suggested by @Takenover83)
    • Installation script has been improved significantly with more options and customization.
  • energymonitor (Suggested by @mrneilypops)
    • Energy Monitor application that was developed specifically for XU3/XU4 by HardKernel.
XeoSal

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 am

Hey guys, I have just released an ODROBIAN Utlity for our own, I excluded all scripts that's ain't necessary to the system from the main platform package..

ODROBIAN-hook Utils (CLI):
First, you should update lists and install it optionally:

odroid:# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
odroid:# apt-get install oh-utils

Now, you can execute the tool with two commands, either this or that:

Originally:
odroid:# ODROBIAN-hook

Alternatively:
odroid:# oh

You can find some help and information:

odroid:# oh --help

Usage:

== ODROBIAN Hook ==
Run with '--help' flag for more information.

Usage: oh --FLAGS

General Utility Functions:
    (No Flags)             Guide with a Wizard.
    --gui                  Open Graphical User Interface directly.
    --tune                 Recieve possible fixes and improvemnts for ODROBIAN.
    --force-upgrade        Force software/kernel upgrades.
    --cpuinfo              Show current CPU frequency and temperature.
    --cpu-stock            Revert back to default CPU settings in level 4.
    --enable-zram          Turn logical memory ON for ODROID.
    --disable-zram         Turn logical memory OFF for ODROID.
    --enable-lightdm       Enable X11 with lightdm.
    --disable-lightdm      Disable X11 with lightdm.
    --enable-lirc          Enable IR with LIRC.
    --disable-lirc         Disable IR with LIRC.
    --gen-hostname         Generates unique hostnames for each ODROID.
    --help                 Show help and information.

Audio/Sound:
    --sound=alsa           Option to force ALSA sound driver.
    --sound=pulse          Option to get PULSE back in service.
    --enable-passthrough   Turn HDMI Passthrough ON for ODROID.
    --disable-passthrough  Turn HDMI Passthrough OFF for ODROID.

Overclock:
    --oc=boast     Upgrade CPU to level 5
    --oc=med       Upgrade CPU to level 6
    --oc=high      Upgrade CPU to level 7
    --oc=turbo     Upgrade CPU to level 8

Underclock:
    --uc=fair      Degrade CPU to level 3
    --uc=lame      Degrade CPU to level 2
    --uc=poor      Degrade CPU to level 1
    --uc=pathetic  Degrade CPU to level 0

Governor:
    --gov=performance     Change CPU governor to "Performance"
    --gov=ondemand        Change CPU governor to "Ondemand"
    --gov=interactive     Change CPU governor to "Interactive"
    --gov=conservative    Change CPU governor to "Conservative"
    --gov=powersave       Change CPU governor to "Powersave"

Examples:
    oh --force-upgrade --enable-zram --sound=alsa --tune
    oh --oc=boast --gov=performance --cpuinfo
    oh --enable-passthrough

Graphical User Interface (GUI):

ODROBIAN-Hook-GUI.png
(31.52 KiB) Downloaded 11847 times

You can also run the integrated GUI of oh-utils which is similar to that tool provided by HK:

Method 1:
odroid:# oh --gui

Method 2:
odroid:# oh

Then answer "Yes" when it asks for running the GUI.

ORGA Entertainment System (CLI)
This tool is no longer a part of the main "odrobian platform package" anymore, you can install it separately with:

odroid:# apt-get update && apt-get install io-cli

Remarks:
  • Our odrobian-platform (BSP) package now only contians necessary config files nothing more.
  • This tool is universal meaning one package for all boards and architectures.
  • It will detect ODROID you're using and re-arrange GUI according to its features.
  • If you run something from CLI that your particular ODROID doesn't support it will just inform you.
  • If you use "insta-ORGA" option in GUI it will download the tool required and install it with default setting.
  • Documentation for install ORGA is slightly edited to replace it with "io-cli" instead of platform.
  • All other information provided related to overclocking/underclocking/cpu-info need to be edited. (in-progress)
XeoSal

Unread postby grewalsatinder » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 pm

I made 128GB microSD card using vanilla image (minimal).

if I do `df -h` it shows

Filesystem      Size   Used   Avail   Use%   Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk1p2   299M   292M      0   100%   /

How do I increase the size of root partition to 128GB ??
grewalsatinder

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:57 pm

@XeoSal: Your tool looks awsome. However, I can't seem to install it (I'm using your odrobian~crashoverride edition):

root@odroid32:/etc# sudo apt-get install odrobian-platform-s905
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
odrobian-platform-s905 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@odroid32:/etc# apt-get install oh-utils
Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 oh-utils : Depends: odrobian-platform-s805 (>= 2.0-21) but it is not installable or
                     odrobian-platform-5422 (>= 2.0-17) but it is not installable or
                     odrobian-platform-s905 (>= 2.0-2) but 2.0-1~crashoverride is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Let me know if you need additional information
mad_ady

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 pm

mad_ady wrote:@XeoSal: Your tool looks awsome. However, I can't seem to install it (I'm using your odrobian~crashoverride edition):

Let me know if you need additional information

Yeah, I am aware of this I didn't update platform packages for ODROID C2 to support this tool however, I am doing it today! All other ODROIDs should already be fine, thank you for reporting. :)

grewalsatinder wrote:I made 128GB microSD card using vanilla image (minimal).

if I do `df -h` it shows

How do I increase the size of root partition to 128GB ??

It seems that your 128GB SD card isn't really compatible because your rootfs size wasn't expanded automatically, the performance will be so bad for such a card. I do not recommend using a storage device with more than 64GB any ways. However, since your SD card couldn't get expanded automatically you should probably try expanding it manually through your main Linux workstation by using gparted, but one again I do no guarantee that you won't face issues.

P.S. Updates

• ODROID CPU Control on repository updated by @mad_ady.
  • ODROID C2 platform packages upgrade with support for our OH-Utilities.
XeoSal

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:44 pm

I've updated the packages, but oh-utils still doesn't want to install:

root@odroid32:~# apt-get install oh-utils
Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 oh-utils : Depends: odrobian-platform-s805 (>= 2.0-21) but it is not installable or
                     odrobian-platform-5422 (>= 2.0-17) but it is not installable or
                     odrobian-platform-s905 (>= 2.0-2) but 2.0-2~crashoverride is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

mad_ady

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Can you try now, I have included the crashoverride edition package on the dependency list:

odroid:$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oh-utils

This tool needs to be improved more on the C2, report to me anything that needs to be fixed.
XeoSal

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:05 am

It installed correctly now. I will play with it and report back possible issues.

One possible issue - in the gui the governor list should be built dinamically. The C2 does not support Ondemand/Interactive/Conservative/Powersave, but only supports Hotplug.

Edit 2: Lirc can't be found:
E: Unable to locate package s905-lirc
Failed to start lirc.service: Unit lirc.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

mad_ady

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:17 am

mad_ady wrote:It installed correctly now. I will play with it and report back possible issues.

One possible issue - in the gui the governor list should be built dinamically. The C2 does not support Ondemand/Interactive/Conservative/Powersave, but only supports Hotplug.

Edit 2: Lirc can't be found:
E: Unable to locate package s905-lirc
Failed to start lirc.service: Unit lirc.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Lirc will be working soon when I upload its package, also I will specify a special condition for governors when the script is detecting the board as C2. Thanks man for testing, :)

Those two cases should be fixed/implemented by the end of this day.
XeoSal

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:15 am

You can get the list of available governors on any platform by doing
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
mad_ady

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:26 am

mad_ady wrote:You can get the list of available governors on any platform by doing
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

Cool, I haven't thought of this, that would eliminate the need to use the condition of detecting the board in the first place.
Thank for the tip, I will be using that. :mrgreen:

P.S. I will try different methods, then I will implement the most efficient/easy way to do this.
XeoSal

Unread postby Bucko » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 am

When I try to install your oh utils I get error Unable to locate package oh-utils. I did the apt-get upgrade/upgrade thing and also got errors....
Could not resolve oph.mdrjr.net, failed to fetch oph.mdrjr.net, some index files failed to download

What should I try at this point?
Bucko

Unread postby XeoSal » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:12 am

Bucko wrote:When I try to install your oh utils I get error Unable to locate package oh-utils. I did the apt-get upgrade/upgrade thing and also got errors....
Could not resolve oph.mdrjr.net, failed to fetch oph.mdrjr.net, some index files failed to download

What should I try at this point?

It seems like your particular network having trouble connecting to @mdrjr's server, I have just tested and it's working perfectly buddy. I would suggest that you restart your router then:

odroid:$ sudo-s
odroid:# apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean
odroid:# apt-get update && apt-get install oh-utils
XeoSal

Unread postby Bucko » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:37 am

OK thanks. Probably the case I cannot connect to the server from my end. I am working out of China.
Bucko

Unread postby vcarvalho » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi, thanks for putting such an amazing slim distro for all of us. I'm running the 2.0 vanilla on S905 board, but it seems it can't find the docker package:

root@odroid64:/home/odroid# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
root@odroid64:/home/odroid# apt-get install docker-odrobian
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package docker-odrobian
root@odroid64:/home/odroid#

Am I missing something here?

Thank you

=================================================

Nevermind got it from armh packages: dpkg --add-architecture armhf
Last edited by vcarvalho on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
vcarvalho

Unread postby XeoSal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:01 am

vcarvalho wrote:Am I missing something here?

Thank you

Hey friend, you are not missing anything, I have to compile a version of docker for 64bit (arm64) while you gotta wait for the time being.
XeoSal

Unread postby vcarvalho » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks, getting the armh lead to very unpredicted results :( I've also tried to compile golang on arm64 but I could not compile golang 1.4 tools package, I'm starting again from scratch see if I can get that running while I wait for your docker 64bit pacakge

Cheers
vcarvalho

Re: ODROBIAN Project Compatible microSD cards

Unread postby b52apl » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:34 am

Odrobian on an Odroid C1+ is picky about what microSD cards it will work with. Based on experimentation with a wide variety of microSD cards, the best and perhaps only choice for Odrobian on an Odroid C1+ is SanDisk. Pretty much any SanDisk microSD will work, including class 2,4, 10 and Extreme 10. The currently fastest rated, SanDisk Ultra 10, works great and is noticeably faster booting up. Don't bother with any other brands. Most won't make it through the first boot.
B52apl
b52apl

Unread postby jforest » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi XeoSal,

First thank for your distro.

Can you please add the deb-src repository of at least the kernel-image and sources to odrobian ?

I would like to use xfs, buterfs,... filesystem and I have to recompile the kernel for that since you didn't include them.
jforest

Unread postby darksurf » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Any Idea with ORGA will come to the C2? Seems the io-cli package doesn't show up for the s905 :( I'd really like to get this setup for my wife and son.
darksurf

ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)