[TOOLS] Chromium for Debian (Wheezy/Jessie)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

[TOOLS] Chromium for Debian (Wheezy/Jessie)

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:55 am

Since Debian does not provide Chromium packages for ARMHF i was working on porting Chromium to Debian.

On the Internet you can only find a version 16 for Debian Wheezy, and the guys from Raspberry Pi were able to compile version 22.
Both are very outdated and do not support HTML5.

Porting Chromium to Debian Wheezy was a very hard and long process.. I tried different approaches many of which failed.. And after i lost 3 weeks worth of work due to a harddrive issue, i was nearly giving up on trying to get this to work under Debian.

Luckily i did not give up completely yet ;)
I now was able to backport Chromium 34 from Ubuntu 14.04 to Debian Wheezy (which should also work for Debian Jessie).

Since Ubuntu does use different packages as Debian there is a issue with the package names..
Ubuntu uses the package "chromium-browser" as their main package for installing Chromium Browser..
Debian has a main package called "chromium" which is missing for Debian under ARMHF, but Debian also has a package that's called chromium-browser..
Since the chromium-browser package from Debian exists in version 37 while i proted the version 34 from Ubuntu, this would mean the package would have been overwritten if an update was performed.
To avoid this, i renamed the packages from Ubuntu to "chromium-browser-odroid" and set conflicts to the packages from Debian.
That way chromium-browser-odroid can be installed, removes the packages that come from Debian and still works perfectly fine.
Also it allows later to update the package in case i release new versions, or backport a different version from Ubuntu as well.

Anyway; if you want to install Chromium 34 you need to add my wheezy/main package list from my repository and use:
Code: Select all
apt-get install chromium-browser-odroid

That should take care of all dependencies and even uninstall chromium if you have it installed in version 16 or 22 or any other version.

(as said, it should work for Debian Jessie as well, although, i haven't had time testing it yet)
Last edited by meveric on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Re: [TOOLS] Chromium for Debian (Wheezy/Jessie)

Unread postby GoFightaRock » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:10 am

You sir, are a beast. 1000 thanks yous.
GoFightaRock

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, U3, C1

Unread postby GoFightaRock » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:46 pm

During apt-get I saw at a quick glance what seemed to be pulling pepflash packages or dependencies, but flash doesn't seem to be supported in browser right out of the box. Is there another step required?
GoFightaRock

ODROIDs: XU3, U3, C1

Unread postby meveric » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:57 pm

it suggests a pepperflash package whih does not yet exist.. I'm looking into including pepperflash as well.. Although i'm struggling with what version to choose and if i should automatically change the default parameter file or let the user do it.

Right now i have pepperflash in version 11.7, 12.0, 15.0 and 16.0 i've heard 11.7 should give the best performance but Chromium itself is complaining about that it's too old and you have to activate it manually each time you want to use it.
I haven't checked 15 and 16 yet, so i'm not sure how they perform.

Still:
Yes, up to now you still have to add pepperflash manually, but i'm probably gonna add a package for this soon.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby Aussiehash » Sun May 03, 2015 1:44 am

Will this work with ARM6 / Pi B+, or only with ARM7 / Pi2
Aussiehash

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 03, 2015 5:04 am

They should be binary compatible.. although it's optimized for ARMv7.. but as i said.. it should work.. give it a try.
meveric

Unread postby robob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 pm

hi,
thank you for all your great job :
I used to run an Odroid C1 with Ubuntu ( :cry: ) and I'm trying now the Dietpi image. I need Chromium for audio streaming with Deezer.com.
I loaded chromium-browser-odroid and pepperflash-odroid packages: all is ok.
robob

languages_spoken: French
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Glad it's working fine for you :)

Just so you know, the infos here are very outdated, by now I offer Chromium 51.
I'm not sure if Fourdee is still using my repositories, if so you should have Chromium 51.
meveric

Unread postby robob » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:23 pm

I used your repositeries : it's chromium 51.
I need Squeezelite and squeezeserver do I need a special version for odroid c1/debian ? (I'm almost beginner in linux stuff :roll:)
robob

languages_spoken: French
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1

Unread postby bambam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 am

Hello Mr.MEVRIC, how are you doing? Great work on all the stuff you do on here. I please need a copy of the armhf Debian wheezy chromium deb file if you don't mind me asking. I work offline and my target machine is not internet capable so I am not able to add you repo as you had suggested to others on this post.
I am not able to get the chromium package on my wheezy development board because the libraries required are higher and its only available for SID, unless I change my whole kernel/File system I cant get the chromium package, the other alternative would be to do the tedious and daunting task you already did by building a local one for my machine. This is why I am hoping you might be able to make my life easier if you could please provide me with a manual link to save and download the deb file. My question though is that my libc6 version is 2.13-38+deb7u2, also the other unsatisfied dependencies include libavcodec57* libdbus etc I'm sure you get the gist that I have lower version of these libraries which is the wheezy versions from Debian repo. Please if you could help me out that'll be great!
Thanks and on a side note, I am trying to run a webrtc application, I wonder if you ever used your chromium version to achieve this, because all the available browsers I can lay my hands on wheezy debian repo i.e firefox results in a segfault and crashes,
Thank you my kind sir!
bambam

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:22 am

Debian Wheezy is very old.. Current Stable release in Debian Stretch (Debian 9), before that was Debian Jessie (Debian 8) and before that there was Wheezy (Debian 7).
So Debian Wheezy is as I said, very old (about 5 years old). It will be very hard to find anything current that is working on it.
I might still have an older version of Chromium on my harddrives but I'm not sure if you can install the requirements.

The last version I've build for Debian Wheezy was Chromium 34, which will required the following dependencies:
Code: Select all
Depends: gconf-service, libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.13-28), libcairo2 (>= 1.6.0), libcap2 (>= 2.10), libcomerr2 (>= 1.01), libcups2 (>= 1.4.0), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.2.14), libexpat1 (>= 2.0.1), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.9.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.9), libgconf-2-4 (>= 2.31.1), libgcrypt11 (>= 1.4.5), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.26.0), libgnome-keyring0 (>= 3.2.2-2~), libgnutls26 (>= 2.12.17-0), libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.6.dfsg.2), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libk5crypto3 (>= 1.6.dfsg.2), libkrb5-3 (>= 1.6.dfsg.2), libnspr4 (>= 2:4.9-2~) | libnspr4-0d (>= 1.8.0.10), libnss3 (>= 2:3.14.3), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.22.0), libudev0 (>= 146), libx11-6 (>= 2:1.2.99.901), libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.3-1), libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1), libxext6, libxfixes3 (>= 1:5.0), libxi6 (>= 2:1.2.99.4), libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.99.2), libxrender1, libxss1, libxtst6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), xdg-utils, chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra (>= 0.6) | chromium-codecs-ffmpeg (>= 0.6)

You can get the files from here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/main ... er-odroid/ and here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/main ... m-browser/
make sure to ONLY download the package for version 34. The others won't work. They are also all have a +deb7 in their name, compared to the others with +deb8.

About webrtc. I'm not sure, you probably also only can use older versions here since newer version probably use newer APIs which do not work in older browsers available on Debian Wheezy.
What's your use-case for it? Most people would just use something else like pidgin, or other RTC clients.
meveric

Unread postby bambam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:00 am

Hello Meveric!, you are a life saver!!! I would try it out, I am just trying to run the jitsi videobridge webrtc conference, but it works best on google chrome they say, tried it on firefox 52.3 on debian wheezy, but keeps breaking with segfaults, so I dont know if the segfaults would be specific to firefox alone, the only other browser I can test it with would be the chromium you just sent me link to, It works on a 64-bit VM machine the jitsi videobridge but I havent gotten the ARM version to run yet without the segfaults once I am prompted to use the USB headsets in the bridge. If I wanted to use the older versions as you had said, then I couldnt have used firefox which was only available to me prior this post because they recently just developed their WebRTC platform. So you see why I was stuck without chromium, I have a wheezy debian, cant use older firefox(no webrtc), no chromium on wheezy prior to getting it from you.
One more question please my kind sir, I noticed the debs all had the ubuntu extensions the 34 versions, is it okay on a debian FS.
Thank you!
Great job sir, hats off to your hard work!
bambam

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 am

yes, that's fine, the packages/sources originally came from Ubuntu, but were recompiled for Debian Wheezy back then...
meveric

Unread postby bambam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 am

I managed to install the packages, but every page I open gives me the "Aw, Snap!" error, even the settings page. Do you have a suggestion on why this is so?
Thank you!
bambam

Unread postby bambam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:40 am

I think the upgraded version of libnss3 (>= 2:3.14.3) to 2:3.26-1+debu7u4 is responsible for this error, I dont know if you would possibly have a downgrade of libnss3, I cant seem to find it online.
bambam

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 am

There is no need to downgrade... it says >= it just lists the minimal required version.
Do you start chromium with --use-gl=egl?
There's also a debug mode that might give some hints.
meveric

Unread postby bambam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 am

I did not initially, but after your reply I did, same thing. I found many users who had the same problem with an online search, and they attributed it to the upgrade of libnss3 breaking the older versions chromium and google-chrome.
bambam

Unread postby bambam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

It worked after I downgraded the libnss3, thank you very much!
bambam

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:12 am

glad it works for you :)
meveric

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)