How OS images for ODROID boards are created ?

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

How OS images for ODROID boards are created ?

Unread postby artonge » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 am

Hi,

I would like to create my own OS image for my XU4 board so I'm wondering how OS images like viewtopic.php?f=96&t=30552, are created.
If it requires scripts or else, do you have some example ?

artonge
artonge

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4

Re: How OS images for ODROID boards are created ?

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:46 am

The easiest way is to take an existing image.
Replace the rootfs with the one from the image you want to use and you're done.
Bootfs is its own partition and that is the minimum needed to boot an image.
Rootfs is its own partition and can house any OS you want, as long as you have the kernel modules on it so the Kernel can load them you're fine.

The rest is up to you what you need.. drivers, configuration and that kind... but just to get an image to boot, you only need an armhf rootfs of any system and the Kernel modules.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: How OS images for ODROID boards are created ?

Unread postby umiddelb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 pm

You can build it from scratch. You need to combine u-boot, kernel and userland. I've written some scripts to automate this process. The scripts for the xu4 can be found here.

If you don't trust my prebuilt kernel archives you can try Armbian instead. Armbian builds everything from scratch, but needs a X86 platform to run.
umiddelb

languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Return to Ubuntu