[HOWTO] Debian/Ubuntu repository for Games/Emulators/Kernel

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Re: [HOWTO] Debian/Ubuntu repository for Games/Emulators/Ker

Unread postby kfowler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 am

Could you identify which hardkernel linux-image corresponds to the latest version in your all/c2 repository?

e.g., the latest hardkernel version is linux-image-3.14.79-116.

I am only interested in your basic debian image as a starting point for my own distro for the C2. So I don't think I need your other repositories, and I think only the linux-image from your all/c2 repository. So I am wondering if I should just upgrade the linux-image from hardkernel going forward, or keep tracking your repository. If that makes sense.
kfowler

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-c2

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:55 am

My Kernel have a date in the version numbers. Every patches until that day on the github repo from hardkernel are included.
I use hardkernels gitrepo as a basis and just change some options, for example for the media-tree so you have access to more dvb adapters.

The Debian Base image is a very minimal image, with only a few drivers and the Kernel + Headers installed, it's a very good start to create your own image.
You can remove everything but the all/c2 repo if you just want to keep the Kernel updates.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby kfowler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 am

Great - thanks for the explanation.
kfowler

ODROIDs: odroid-c2

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 am

2017-10-22:
  • new package ciso
    in stretch/backports package list
    -> Tool to convert Sony PSP iso to ciso
  • new package ciso
    in jessie/backports package list
  • new package ciso:arm64
  • new package ciso:arm64
  • updated 4.9 LTS Kernel and Headers for ODROID XU3/XU4
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.9.57)
    I added dm-snapshot module as it was missing and some people were looking for it
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 pm

2017-10-24:
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.9.58)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:05 pm

2017-10-27:
  • updated libgl-odroid:arm64 package
    in stretch/main package list
    -> Latest changes from @ptitSeb with more work on OpenGL ES 2.0 shader support.
    in jessie/main package list
  • updated libgl-odroid package
    in all/testing package list
    many thanks @ptitSeb for this awesome piece of work!
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 am

2017-10-30:
  • new package vice-odroid
    -> VICE, the Versatile Commodore Emulator (emulator for C64, C128 and others)
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 am

Great! Thank you again!
Phoenixkonsole

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:57 pm

2017-11-01:
  • new package prototype-odroid
    -> R-Type remake with SDL and OpenGL (uses gl4es) -> viewtopic.php?p=206202#p206202
  • new package prototype-odroid
    -> R-Type remake with SDL and OpenGL (uses gl4es) -> viewtopic.php?p=206202#p206202
  • new package prototype-odroid:arm64
  • new package prototype-odroid:arm64
  • new package prototype-data-odroid:all
    in all/main package list
    -> Shared data files for prototype
  • new package exagear-dsound-server:arm64
    -> dsound injector for ExaGear
  • updated exagear-desktop:arm64 package
    -> updated meta package for exagear
  • updated exagear-desktop package
    -> updated meta package for exagear
  • updated exagear-odroid:arm64 package
    -> updated exagear to it's latest version (build 3006 for ODROID C2/arm64)
  • updated exagear-odroid package
    -> updated exagear to it's latest version (build 3006)
    There are probably gonna come a lot more changes and many more games that are compatible with gl4es now!
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:48 am

2017-11-05:
    I reverted a patch for raster (glBitmap / glDrawPixels) which was causing issues, this fixes yabause again.
    Aside from that @ptitSeb added tons of more patches for OpenGL 2.0 and shader support and there are soon a new releases for ODROIDs with more OpenGL games that are supported.
    Many thanks to @ptitSeb for his awesome and impressive work!
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 am

2017-11-06:
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:33 am

2017-11-08:
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.9.60)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 pm

2017-11-11:
  • updated kodi-next-odroid package
    -> Updated Kodi to 17.5
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 pm

2017-11-16:
  • updated 3.10 Kernel and Headers for ODROID XU3/XU4
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (3.10.106) with new eMMC support
  • new package ppsspp-odroid
    -> PPSSPP Emulator for Debian Stretch
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:11 am

2017-11-18:
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.9.61)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 am

2017-11-19:
  • new package gzdoom-odroid
    -> OpenGL based Engine for Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and many other similar games -> viewtopic.php?f=91&t=29075
  • new package gzdoom-odroid
    -> OpenGL based Engine for Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and many other similar games -> viewtopic.php?f=91&t=29075
  • new package gzdoom-odroid:arm64
  • new package gzdoom-odroid:arm64
meveric

Unread postby dstair » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 pm

There is a post on 24 June 2017 stating that you created a meta package for Kernel 4.9 and will remove the 3.10 Kernel so you should be able to switch to Kernel 4.9 without much trouble. Just checking on this, you mean this will remove the old kernel but not install kernel 4.9 correct. This is not an auto upgrade correct? Or, am I missing something?

Your code was "apt-get install linux-image-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3 linux-headers-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3"
dstair

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby dstair » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Sorry, 1 unrelated question. I know the eMMC is a bit faster than old sd cards. I have never used a eMMC card so in reality I have no idea the speed difference. In your experience, how much faster is the eMMC than the scan disk ultra micro sd cards? Is it worth the extra funds to purchase the faster card?
dstair

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:39 pm

dstair wrote:There is a post on 24 June 2017 stating that you created a meta package for Kernel 4.9 and will remove the 3.10 Kernel so you should be able to switch to Kernel 4.9 without much trouble. Just checking on this, you mean this will remove the old kernel but not install kernel 4.9 correct. This is not an auto upgrade correct? Or, am I missing something?

Your code was "apt-get install linux-image-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3 linux-headers-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3"

Actually that IS an autoupdate.
On my images you only need to install the packages you named above and it will automatically switch from 3.10 to 4.9.

dstair wrote:Sorry, 1 unrelated question. I know the eMMC is a bit faster than old sd cards. I have never used a eMMC card so in reality I have no idea the speed difference. In your experience, how much faster is the eMMC than the scan disk ultra micro sd cards? Is it worth the extra funds to purchase the faster card?

eMMC is a lot faster in reading.. up to 190 MB/sec read speed is very good if you want your system to boot up very fast. Writing is a little bit slower, but should overall be slightly faster than a SD card, but also more stable, means the write speed is constant over time, while SD cards get slower. It's worth if you need the performance. Still I often use SD cards for testings and only use eMMC where I want to use something permanent.
meveric

Unread postby dstair » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 am

Do you have any suggestion on the following error I am getting after restarting after upgrading to the new kernel?

Daemon autostart failed. Error:
g-dbus-error-quark: Error calling StartServiceByName for net.sf.cdemu.CDEmuDaemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process net.sf.cdemu.CDEmuDaemon exited with status 255 (25)

I also have another question, I am using a usb wifi dongle and the wifi will not reconnect after rebooting either? This was an issue before I installed the new kernel
dstair

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm

looks like you're using my GameStation Turbo image, due to the cdemu stuff?
Could you go to the GameStation Turbo forum and ask the questions there please as this is more a work log than a QNA here :)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:47 am

2017-11-28:
  • new packages for 4.14 LTS Kernel and Headers for ODROID XU3/XU4
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> first build of new LTS Kernel 4.14 for ODROID XU3/XU4/HC1
  • new package linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> meta package for installing/updating Kernel
  • new package linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> meta package for installing/updating Kernel Headers

New Kernel can be installed on my Debian images either from 3.10 or 4.9 Kernel via:
Code: Select all
apt-get install linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4

where the headers are optional and are not required, unless you want to compile DKMS modules (required on my OGST image).
meveric

Unread postby uross » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Update to 4.14 on my HC1 worked flawless. Using DietPi distribution with the following software and hardware: Plex Media Server (incl. DVR with Sundtek Media Pro III), PiHole, Resilio Sync, Aria2. All functional with 4.14. Thermal behaviour/dynamic frequency switching seems to be improved compared to 4.9.
uross

languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: C2, HC1

Unread postby devos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi meveric, how can hardware accelerated ffmpeg be used, now that we have kernel 4.14 here too? Is it enough to just install the upstream ffmpeg package?
devos

languages_spoken: english, german, italian
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 am

I'm not sure.. I heard starting from ffmpeg 3.4 it should be included, but I don't think there are any .deb packages for this yet.
And for other version you need a patched version. I haven't investigated yet. I have some old packages for Kernel 4.9: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/ffmpeg/
Not sure if they work correctly, I think they had quite some issues.

I'll look further into it when I have time.
Currently only Debian Buster (Debian 10) and deb-multimedia for Debian Buster have ffmpeg 3.4 packages.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:35 pm

2017-12-01:
  • updated kodi-next-odroid package
    -> Updated Kodi to 17.6 (including a fix for Kernel 4.14 to make 1080p working again
  • Exhanged 8192cu-dkms package
    in all/main package list
    -> new dkms driver for 8192cu based WLAN adapters
    Please Note: I've previously had a different (older) driver here that was now replaced. Sadly the "older" driver had a higher version number.
    So in case you installed it you have to uninstall your old version and reinstall the version from the repo.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 pm

2017-12-02:
  • new packages and dependencies for ffmpeg
    -> I've created a backport for ffmpeg related packages in version 3.4 from Debian Buster, which include drivers for MFC hardware decoding.
    This allows you to hardware decode videos on the desktop or from within other programs that can use ffmpeg related drivers.
    I had to backport several different drivers from Debian Stretch and Debian Buster to get this to work.
    Also you need Kernel 4.14 to be able to use these drivers:
    dpkg:
    -> build dependency
    dpkg_1.18.24~bpo8_armhf.deb
    dpkg-dev_1.18.24~bpo8_all.deb
    dselect_1.18.24~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libdpkg-dev_1.18.24~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libdpkg-perl_1.18.24~bpo8_all.deb

libmysofa:
    -> build and run requirement for ffmpeg
    "libmysofa is a light weight C-library intended to read SOFA (Spatially Oriented Format for Acoustics) files for spatial rendering"
    libmysofa0_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libmysofa-dev_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libmysofa-utils_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo8_armhf.deb

libopenmpt:
    -> build and run requirement for ffmpeg
    "libopenmpt is a cross-platform C++ and C library to decode tracked music files (modules) into a raw PCM audio stream."
    libopenmpt0_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libopenmpt-doc_0.3.3-1~bpo8_all.deb
    libopenmpt-modplug-dev_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb 
    libopenmpt-dev_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libopenmpt-modplug1_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb
    openmpt123_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb             

tesseract:
    -> build dependency for ffmpeg
    libopenmpt0_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libopenmpt-doc_0.3.3-1~bpo8_all.deb
    libopenmpt-modplug-dev_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb 
    libopenmpt-dev_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libopenmpt-modplug1_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb
    openmpt123_0.3.3-1~bpo8_armhf.deb             

And last but not least ffmpeg packages themselves:
    ffmpeg_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavcodec-extra57_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavfilter-extra_3.4-3~bpo8_all.deb
    libavresample-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libpostproc-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    ffmpeg-doc_3.4-3~bpo8_all.deb
    libavdevice57_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavfilter-extra6_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libav-tools_3.4-3~bpo8_all.deb
    libswresample2_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavcodec57_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavdevice-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavformat57_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavutil55_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libswresample-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavcodec-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavfilter6_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavformat-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavutil-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libswscale4_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavcodec-extra_3.4-3~bpo8_all.deb
    libavfilter-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libavresample3_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libpostproc54_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb
    libswscale-dev_3.4-3~bpo8_armhf.deb

• new packages and dependencies for ffmpeg
    -> I've also done the same for Debian Stretch where less packages were required to backport

libmysofa:
    libmysofa0_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libmysofa-dev_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libmysofa-utils-dbgsym_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo9_armhf.deb 
    libmysofa0-dbgsym_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libmysofa-utils_0.6~dfsg0-2~bpo9_armhf.deb

ffmpeg:
    ffmpeg_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavdevice57-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavformat-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libpostproc-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    ffmpeg-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavdevice-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavresample3_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libswresample2_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    ffmpeg-doc_3.4-3~bpo9_all.deb
    libavfilter6_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavresample3-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libswresample2-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavcodec57_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavfilter6-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavresample-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libswresample-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavcodec57-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavfilter-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libav-tools_3.4-3~bpo9_all.deb
    libswscale4_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavcodec-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavfilter-extra_3.4-3~bpo9_all.deb
    libavutil55_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libswscale4-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavcodec-extra_3.4-3~bpo9_all.deb
    libavfilter-extra6_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavutil55-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libswscale-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavcodec-extra57_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavfilter-extra6-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavutil-dev_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb             
    libavcodec-extra57-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavformat57_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libpostproc54_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb             
    libavdevice57_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libavformat57-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb
    libpostproc54-dbgsym_3.4-3~bpo9_armhf.deb

I haven't tested Debian Stretch yet, but it should work nonetheless.
You probably have to install it with apt-get install -t jessie ffmpeg or apt-get install -t stretch ffmpeg depending on your OS.
You might also have to install some libraries from jessie-backports in order to be able to install ffmpeg.

If you want to use ffmpeg libraries for compiling your own software make sure to install linux-libc-dev from -t jessie or -t stretch (my repos) as well.
It is for Kernel 4.14 and has definitions needed for MFC hardware decoding (v4l2m2m definitions).
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 pm

2017-12-04:
  • updated ppsspp-odroid package
    -> updated PPSSPP (PSP emulator) to version 1.5.3
  • updated ppsspp-odroid package
    -> updated PPSSPP (PSP emulator) to version 1.5.3
  • updated ppsspp-odroid:arm64 package
    -> updated PPSSPP (PSP emulator) to version 1.5.3 for ODROID C2 (arm64)
  • updated ppsspp-odroid:arm64 package
    -> updated PPSSPP (PSP emulator) to version 1.5.3 for ODROID C2 (arm64)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 pm

2017-12-05:
  • updated 4.14 LTS Kernel and Headers for ODROID XU3/XU4
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.14.3)
meveric

Unread postby devos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 am

Hi meveric,
i have installed your Debian Jessie Image on my XU4 and wanted to install ffmpeg 3.4 but i got only older version while installing via apt-get install -t jessie ffmpeg or apt-get install -t jessie-backports ffmpeg. Do I have to download and install all deb-Packages you mentioned above manually?
devos

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 am

nope that should not be required.
Don't use apt-get install jessie-backports ffmpeg as it will install a different version.
Since you're using Debian Jessie, the easiest way is probably to disable deb-multimedia (mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.list{,.bak}) and try again with apt-get install -t jessie ffmpeg
Please report back any issues you see, as I haven't tried it on a clean system yet :)
Also remember that you need Kernel 4.14 for hardware acceleration.
meveric

Unread postby Guiseppe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm

meveric wrote:2017-05-30:
  • new package kodi-next-odroid
    -> Kodi Krypton version 17.3
This version has some crazy dependencies which could easily break parts of your desktop, so I had to be very careful with the dependencies.
I'm not sure if I like this version of Kodi yet, so I don't replace the "old" one with it. Still you can install it with:
apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid

On my U3 I used this code and get this:
E: Unable to locate package kodi-next-odroid

I followed the instructions in another thread regarding the change from http to https before using the above code.
Guiseppe

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Which OS are you using?
If none of mine, what repositories have you included?
meveric

Unread postby Guiseppe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm

It is your GameStationTurbo.
Guiseppe

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 pm

o_O
If you've done an apt-get update at least once it the last 6 month you should have this package listed.
Are you running Debian Wheezy oder Debian Jessie? (lsb_release -a should show this info).
If you're still on Debian Wheezy it won't be available. In fact a lot of things won't be available on Debian Wheezy and you should download the GameStation Turbo image based on Debian Jessie.
meveric

Unread postby Guiseppe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 am

meveric, thank you. Did an apt-get update again today and Kodi loaded successfully.

EDIT: Changed to Confluence skin - life is good!
Guiseppe

Unread postby devos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 am

Thank you meveric! After disabling deb-multimedia i was able to install ffmpeg 3.4 from your repo. :)
devos

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 am

2017-12-07:
  • updated setup-ogst-odroid package
    • added support for Family Computer Disk System (FDS)
    • removed .iso support for 3DO (use .cue only)
    • fixes some system names for emulationstation
    • added pinning for deb-multimedia
    • allow install of kodi-next-odroid without breaking setup-ogst-odroid package
  • updated setup-odroid:all package
    • General
      • added pinning for deb-multimedia
  • updated setup-odroid:all package
    -> same changes as for Debian Jessie
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 pm

2017-12-08:
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.14.4)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am

2017-12-14:
  • new package hcl-odroid
    in all/main package list
    -> Hydra Castle Labyrinth is a very nice 2D platformer
  • new package hcl-odroid:arm64
    in all/main package list
    -> Hydra Castle Labyrinth is a very nice 2D platformer (for ODROID C2)
  • new package hcl-data-odroid:all
    in all/main package list
    -> Data files for Hydra Castle Labyrinth
    in all/xu3 package list
    -> in sync with HardKernel Repo (4.14.5)
meveric

Previous

Return to Ubuntu (All Linux'es)