Noob proof kernel update guide

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Noob proof kernel update guide

Unread postby Nachoraven » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:09 am

Hi Odroid community, I have been the last 10 hours working and learning with my odroid. I don’t have any programming background whatsoever and thank to this community I solved tons of problems I faced thru the day and learn a ton of concepts, right now im at the point that I managed to successfully build a zImage (when it started building I was so happy hahah :D ). If any nooblie like me stumbles with this post in the future this 3 links saved my life! They were the core, just this 3 and the rest was all search on the forum to tackle the smaller problems:
1. Setting up the environment (I have a windows machine so I had to install the virtual box with all that means). This file from page 27 till page 124 are full of important information, some things are not update so you will have to improvise and look in the forums to do things that are not exactly as stated: http://com.odroid.com/sigong/nf_file_bo ... php?bid=98

2. Now that you have your virtualbox installed with all the complements time to build the kernel image, with this 2 post you will have almost all you need to know:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3707&hilit=kernel+android+UART
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=83
Again, the problems you might encounter are all solvable with the search function.

But now I’m stuck at the uploading part. I couldn’t find a guide that lowers the knowledge enough as for a non programmer to understand; lots of posts where tons of concepts are assumed ask know. That why I was wondering, if some of you could help me complete this dumb proof series on how to update your kernel.
The questions I couldn’t find answer are:
a. How should be the cable connections to transfer the information? Just the USB-UART cable connected to my computer USB?
b. Page 101 of the manual in point 1 is up to date? For odroid x2 I need to put the same code (make smdkv310_config and make -j10) or that is just for the A4 model?
c. After I get uboot running and the odroid plugged, what to do? Just turn it on and something should appear on my terminal?
d. Basically I would like to put more meat in these instructions so they could be understood by a non programmer:

“5. Copying modules:
adb remount
for module in `find . -iname *.ko`; do adb push $module /system/lib/modules ; done

6. Copying the kernel:
adb push arch/arm/boot/zImage /system/lib/modules

7. Flashing the kernel from Android itself:
adb shell
cd /system/lib/modules
busybox dd conv=notrunc seek=2455 bs=512 if=zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
sync
exit
adb reboot”

I thank all the collaborators in advance!!!!
Nachoraven

languages_spoken: english

Re: Noob proof kernel update guide

Unread postby mdrjr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 am

a) USB UART allows low level access to the bootloader. For example you can interrupt the boot change a boot parameters or set the bootloader in fastboot mode.
b) Not really. that's for A4.
c) If you don't have any knowledge.. stop. start from the bottom. don't attempt to start with more complex guides that is what will happen.
d) No. You are skipping steps. You should learn the basics first.

First.. If you don't know what ADB or Fastboot is. Google it! Its part of the Android SDK.

The goal here is to make you smart. not a dumb guide follower.
The whole idea behind the project is to share as much knowledge as we can. :)
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby Nachoraven » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm

I agree that the objetive is to learn thats why I was tring to make a diferent focuse. Like put what does each command mean and where and why you use it. Some times answers in the forums are way to technical, programmer oriented. I don't know of hardkernel has an objective of being main stream product or just a niche one for programmers, maybe that's where I'm wrong and this is not a mainstream product, im just used to other development boards communities that are more hobby like people with little to no knowledge.
About the answers;
A) I know what is for, I was asking about the wiring
B) if that commands don't work any more you can explain why and what should the new commands be?
C) I do have some knowledge since I been working with this x2 for 1 month now. Unfortunately last part of my project requires a new kernel
D) what steps I skiped? I followed both guides, are there steps that were not placed in the guides?
Nachoraven

Unread postby mdrjr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:34 pm

a) Oops.. misunderstood. For Android development USB-UART connected and the USB->MicroUSB connected (microUSB on ODROID). That's needed for ADB/Fastboot
b) If you have "command not found" you have to install the Google Android SDK (fastboot and adb are part of that. I think that Ubuntu 13.10 has packages for it already.)

d) Probably either the Installation of Android SDK.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Nachoraven wrote:I agree that the objetive is to learn thats why I was tring to make a diferent focuse. Like put what does each command mean and where and why you use it. Some times answers in the forums are way to technical, programmer oriented.

Well, they're called development boards for a reason ;)

Nachoraven wrote:I don't know of hardkernel has an objective of being main stream product or just a niche one for programmers, maybe that's where I'm wrong and this is not a mainstream product, im just used to other development boards communities that are more hobby like people with little to no knowledge.

I don't think you know what "mainstream" means, but anyway. Again, this is a development board, you're supposed to develop on it, which also involves deeper involvement with the respective operating system. If we're talking about Android here, you're basically asking HardKernel to replicate the entire Android documentation. This makes absolutely no sense, since Google already provides this excellent documentation on their website.

Also, like mdrjr said, coding skills aren't defined by how well you can punch in some lines which you've read in some guide. Yeah, I know that most Ubuntu folks think they can use Linux just because they can copy&paste bash scripts from the Ubuntu Wiki, but yeah... I don't think we want to end up like this here :)
LiquidAcid

ODROIDs: X2

Unread postby Anni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 pm

Well! I disagree strongly with the replies.

My introduction to computing was a 16 week programming course in COBOL around 1985, the development environment was a Pr1me running Pr1meOS. We had projects to choose from & I chose what was essentially a POS terminal. I extended this with stock handling because it turned out to be easy.
We were given an instruction sheet & some pocket size handbooks.
We followed the instructions then worked out what we had done, then extrapolated from this to work out what to do next.

Then around 1986 my Mother brought a PC home from work & I started reading magazines.
I followed instructions in the magazines then worked out what I had done, then extrapolated from this to work out what to do next.
I ended up producing boot environments for dozens of tasks, hacking programs in a text editor & in debug, writing new ones in C, upgrading hardware with hard disks, [2,3,4]86 processors, networking etc.

One of the magazines came with a copy of Slackware on the cover.
There were instructions on how to install LILO then the new OS & instructions on some of the programs.
I followed the instructions then worked out what I had done, then extrapolated from this to work out what to do next.

There were instructions on how to recompile the kernel.
I followed the instructions then worked out what i had done, then extrapolated from this to work out what to do next.

I decided to reconfigure 'sendmail', there were no instructions, just a 'man' page.
I locked the machine to the extent that i had to reinstall the OS & learned nothing!

Can you see a theme emerging here?
I follow instructions then work out what I've done then build on that.
THIS IS NORMAL LEARNING! & by denigrating the OP's desire to build an instruction sheet you are denying a huge number of people a path in!

Instructions are good!
Anni

languages_spoken: English-English, english
ODROIDs: None

Return to Android