Exagear Desktop for ODROID boards (Powerful x86 emulation)

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Exagear Desktop for ODROID boards (Powerful x86 emulation)

Unread postby odroid » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

Eltechs' ExaGear Desktop is a powerful emulator for porting almost any x86 applications to ARM-based devices.
In a nutshell, if you need some Windows apps or on your ODROID for any specific purpose (e.g. Notepad++ or even MS Word), ExaGear is the best solution to make it happen.
Not mentioning the fact, that some native Linux applications, such as Skype and TeamViewer, when launched within ExaGear run even faster than launched via Wine on Linux.

There is a free trial version you can enjoy. You can install it quickly on Ubuntu/Debian Linux images with a few commands only.
Please visit this link to learn how it is powerful and simple.
https://eltechs.com/exagear-desktop-trial-for-odroid/

odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Exagear Desktop for ODROID boards (Powerful x86 emulatio

Unread postby meveric » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:40 pm

You can also find a self-made compatibility list here where i checked different games how they work on the XU3/XU4 and how you can get them to work.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby gregb49 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 am

odroid wrote:Eltechs' ExaGear Desktop is a powerful emulator for porting almost any x86 applications to ARM-based devices.
If you come to this completely cold,as I did, and have some very basic questions, there are some useful documents at https://docs.eltechs.com/. The drawback with Exagear, IMO, is that a level of experience is assumed, beyond newcomer, so some of the very obvious questions are not answered. This made the first day of my trial, infuriating. The forum at http://forum.eltechs.com/ deals mainly with older installs of exagear, so a lot of the advice is not applicable. IE earlier versions appear to come with a manual. I couldn't find one in the trial version. There is also a lot of spam on the Forum.

I'm trying exagear in my quest to find a useable ARM device as a desktop (non-gaming) replacement and exagear does seem to overcome one or two ARM specific shortcomings, but I might just wait until ARM devices mature a bit further rather than go down the emulation path. However if there is an application that is very important to you, that runs under x86 CPUs but not under an ARM processor, then this might be worth you trying.
XU4 Ubuntu 16.04.3
gregb49

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 Ubuntu 16.04 Kernel 4.9

Unread postby meveric » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 am

There are a couple people that have already experience with ExaGear on ODROIDs, so you can ask if you want to know something, and some might even be able to test stuff for you and tell you how to set it up.
But yes some basic linux knowledge is required.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby gregb49 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 am

meveric wrote:But yes some basic linux knowledge is required.
Thanks, but it wasn't my lack of Linux knowledge, although I'm very much a user rather than a coder. It was getting off the starting grid - that basic. It took me quite some while just to work out that the installation gave you an X86 terminal window, through exagear, and an ARM terminal window, accessed through the usual commands, and both at the same time. I thought something was broken to start with because I couldn't find any documentation. My problem was that basic.
I did get to like being able to use Dropbox and one or two other utilities but never managed to get Simon to work properly.
I think the target audience will be gamers who want to be able to run those x86 systems. Meanwhile, I will progress my quest for trying to make my 'office' work with an Odroid XU4, even without Dropbox.
XU4 Ubuntu 16.04.3
gregb49

ODROIDs: XU4 Ubuntu 16.04 Kernel 4.9

Unread postby meveric » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 am

I've tested the Linux version of Xenonauts on ExaGear.

Results are "mixed" I would say. The game itself runs ok, but it uses SDL2 for acceleration and we don't have acceleration inside ExaGear, therefore it's rather slow, but since it's and Round-Based-Strategy-Game it doesn't need to be fast, as you don't need to react quickly on anything.

The game requires a lot of RAM, therefore this game won't run on a device with less than 2GB RAM.

Still I would love to see a native armhf port of this game as this might actually work with acceleration on the ODROID.
There's also a Community Edition of the game, but I haven't seen any sources of this game either, so maybe if we contact them we manage to create a native Linux armhf Version of the game.

Find an overview of all games I tested and how to install them here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Exa ... r/ExaGear/
Or more infos and pictures about Xenonauts directly under: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Exa ... -Linux.htm
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:26 am

Total Annihilation
Total Annihilation is one of my favorite RTS game of all time.
Back in the days we enjoyed playing it on LAN parties much more than Command and Conquer.
Most people that knew C&C and TA agree that TA was the better game.
More units, more maps, larger maps, better physics, better graphics, awesome multiplayer.

The game runs very fluently under ExaGear and I can play the game without issues in 1280x720 on my XU3/XU4.
Occasionally I have some scratchy sounds when too many explosions are going on on the screen, but aside from that it's really fun to play.

You can check it out under: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/ExaGear/TotalA.htm
Or check for other games that I tested under https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/ExaGear/
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:02 pm

A Golden Wake
A Golden Wake is a point and click adventure from Wadjet Eye Games, many of which run directly under Linux and so does this.

This means, the game runs directly in the ExaGear environment and can be started by simply clicking the icon on your Desktop.
No need to use Wine or PlayOnLinux. Just install the game and you're ready to play.
It's a nice Adventure that plays in the "Golden 20s".
Check out the trailer on GoG:

You can check it out under: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Exa ... -Linux.htm
Or check for other games that I tested under https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/ExaGear/
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:38 am

Just finished a complete play-through of "A Golden Wake" (it''s not just testing I do :D)
Game was really fun to play and even a little educational :)
I can highly recommend it for people who like that genre.
meveric

Re: Exagear running LTSpice spice simulator

Unread postby cebersp » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 am

Hi,
as it is not for free I had not been sure, if it would be wise to invest the money for ExaGear.

But I can report, that ExaGear together with wine is running LtSpice quite well! LtSpice is a fast free spice simulator, which can simulate electronic circuits.
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

Christof
cebersp

ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Exagear running LTSpice spice simulator

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:12 am

cebersp wrote:Hi,
as it is not for free I had not been sure, if it would be wise to invest the money for ExaGear.

Luckily for this we now can install a free trail version to test this before buying the software.
But I'm glad to hear your software works well :)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Currently Eltech has a "black-friday sale" for their licenses and offer them for 25% off
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:34 am

One more nice demo video! Diablo II on XU4 :D
It was my favorite action-RPG in '2000~2002.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:17 am

Resonance
Resonance is a point and click adventure from Wadjet Eye Games and runs natively under Linux similar to A Golden Wake

Therefore you can run it directly under the ExaGear environment and by simply clicking the icon on your Desktop.

No Wine needed, as it runs directly uner Linux.

In this game you follow the stories of 4 protagonists to solve a crime in a thrilling sci-fi adventure.

Check out the trailer on GoG:

You can check it out under: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Exa ... -Linux.htm
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:36 am

Another nice video. Beasts and Bumpkins by EA. Very addictive strategy game. :D
odroid
Site Admin

Return to Android