"ODROID Bench"

lungfish
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, N2 (soon).
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by lungfish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks, that dealt with it. So I've got the required cryptodev.ko, but you can't insmod it in a Docker container. I was kind of expecting that, but it was worth a try... if anyone else wants to try this outside a Docker container, the following should do it. This is for a C2, on an XU4 you don't need to do any of the prep but can just install cryptodev directly:
sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install module-assistant
sudo module-assistant prepare
git clone --depth 1 --branch odroidc2-v3.16.y https://github.com/hardkernel/linux
cd linux
make odroidc2_defconfig
make headers_install
make modules
sudo ln -s /home/odroid/linux/ /lib/modules/3.16.57-25/build
wget https://github.com/cryptodev-linux/cryp ... master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd cryptodev-linux-master
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo apt install kmod
sudo insmod /home/odroid/cryptodev-linux-master/cryptodev.ko

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 4106
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 207 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 pm

lungfish wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 pm
Thanks, that dealt with it. So I've got the required cryptodev.ko, but you can't insmod it in a Docker container. I was kind of expecting that, but it was worth a try... if anyone else wants to try this outside a Docker container, the following should do it. This is for a C2, on an XU4 you don't need to do any of the prep but can just install cryptodev directly:
sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install module-assistant
sudo module-assistant prepare
git clone --depth 1 --branch odroidc2-v3.16.y https://github.com/hardkernel/linux
cd linux
make odroidc2_defconfig
make headers_install
make modules
sudo ln -s /home/odroid/linux/ /lib/modules/3.16.57-25/build
wget https://github.com/cryptodev-linux/cryp ... master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd cryptodev-linux-master
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo apt install kmod
sudo insmod /home/odroid/cryptodev-linux-master/cryptodev.ko
Wondering, if the module is loaded then what's expected to do for next?

lungfish
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, N2 (soon).
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by lungfish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 pm

tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 pm
Wondering, if the module is loaded then what's expected to do for next?
Build and run some diagnostic code that indicates what crypto hardware capabilities are made available via /dev/crypto, and whether they work as expected.

elatllat
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 64 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by elatllat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:57 am

lungfish depending on what crypto capabilities you want the C2 may not be the best choice;
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=30103
assuming /dev/crypto is only exposing

Code: Select all

XU4> grep name /proc/crypto | perl -pe 's/.* //g;s/_//g' |  sort -u
aes
arc4
cbc(aes)
ciphernull
compressnull
crc32c
crct10dif
ctr(aes)
digestnull
ecb(aes)
ecb(arc4)
ecb(ciphernull)
jitterentropyrng
md5
sha1
sha224
sha256
sha3-224
sha3-256
sha3-384
sha3-512
sha384
sha512
stdrng
xts(aes)

lungfish
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, N2 (soon).
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by lungfish » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 am

elatllat wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:57 am
lungfish depending on what crypto capabilities you want the C2 may not be the best choice;
Oh, the purpose of the exercise isn't the crypto itself, I've got more than enough crypto stuff here, it's to determine which of the mechanisms in the C2 /dev/crypto are backed by hardware and what their performance is. Most of what's listed there will be software emulation, and given that you're going through the kernel interface it'll be much slower than a software-only implementation in userspace. So the goal is to find out what's backed by hardware, and whether it's worth using.

back2future
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:19 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by back2future » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm

tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm
back2future wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Would be interesting, if we could have output from

Code: Select all

 modprobe eeprom && decode-dimms 
[ perl script for DDR4: https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm ... code-dimms ]

for H2's ram so-dimms on port 2240,2243,2244?
Sorry for long wait, now you would be able to run the command decode-dimms on H2. Please try... :)
Thx, for enabling decode-dimms script on port 2240, 2242. Was decode-dimms available on 18.04 apt repository?
[ There was change from ddr3 to ddr4 dimm modules, considering its configuration spd eeprom. Accessing a ddr4 eeprom needs a patched kernel driver, AFAIK.
ee1004: https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-i2c/msg32331.html ]
Maybe You want to add a picture of new N2 devices and their orientation on Odroid bench, what would be interesting for looking at the airflow situation at the passive heatsinks (and maybe slow rpm room ventilation)?
Do You think about adding a current meter to some of new N2 devices (logging at netdata chart then)?
Last edited by back2future on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 4106
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 207 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 am

back2future wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm
back2future wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Would be interesting, if we could have output from

Code: Select all

 modprobe eeprom && decode-dimms 
[ perl script for DDR4: https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm ... code-dimms ]

for H2's ram so-dimms on port 2240,2243,2244?
Sorry for long wait, now you would be able to run the command decode-dimms on H2. Please try... :)
Thx, for enabling decode-dimms script on port 2240, 2242. Was decode-dimms available on 18.04 apt repository?
[*wildcard for insights to come]
Maybe You want to add a picture of new N2 devices and their orientation on Odroid bench, what would be interesting for looking at the airflow situation at the passive heatsinks (and maybe slow rpm room ventilation)?
Do You think about adding a current meter to some of new N2 devices (logging at netdata chart then)?
decode-dimms can be installed with the package i2c-tools if I remember correctly. Well, ODROID-N2s are sitting together and there is no ventilation at all, the temperature in the room is just low since it's winter here. :) At the moment, not considering to add a current meter. Sorry about that.

back2future
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:19 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by back2future » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 am

tobetter wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 am
back2future wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm
back2future wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Would be interesting, if we could have output from

Code: Select all

 modprobe eeprom && decode-dimms 
[ perl script for DDR4: https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm ... code-dimms ]

for H2's ram so-dimms on port 2240,2243,2244?
Sorry for long wait, now you would be able to run the command decode-dimms on H2. Please try... :)
Thx, for enabling decode-dimms script on port 2240, 2242. Was decode-dimms available on 18.04 apt repository?
[*wildcard for insights to come]
Maybe You want to add a picture of new N2 devices and their orientation on Odroid bench, what would be interesting for looking at the airflow situation at the passive heatsinks (and maybe slow rpm room ventilation)?
Do You think about adding a current meter to some of new N2 devices (logging at netdata chart then)?
decode-dimms can be installed with the package i2c-tools if I remember correctly. Well, ODROID-N2s are sitting together and there is no ventilation at all, the temperature in the room is just low since it's winter here. :) At the moment, not considering to add a current meter. Sorry about that.
Do You think about adding sensor chart for N2's?
Do all N2's have same setup (hardware, firmware, ram, os, networking config, physical stacking position)?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 4106
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 207 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:13 am

back2future wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 am
tobetter wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 am
back2future wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm
back2future wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Would be interesting, if we could have output from

Code: Select all

 modprobe eeprom && decode-dimms 
[ perl script for DDR4: https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm ... code-dimms ]

for H2's ram so-dimms on port 2240,2243,2244?
Sorry for long wait, now you would be able to run the command decode-dimms on H2. Please try... :)
Thx, for enabling decode-dimms script on port 2240, 2242. Was decode-dimms available on 18.04 apt repository?
[*wildcard for insights to come]
Maybe You want to add a picture of new N2 devices and their orientation on Odroid bench, what would be interesting for looking at the airflow situation at the passive heatsinks (and maybe slow rpm room ventilation)?
Do You think about adding a current meter to some of new N2 devices (logging at netdata chart then)?
decode-dimms can be installed with the package i2c-tools if I remember correctly. Well, ODROID-N2s are sitting together and there is no ventilation at all, the temperature in the room is just low since it's winter here. :) At the moment, not considering to add a current meter. Sorry about that.
Do You think about adding sensor chart for N2's?
Do all N2's have same setup (hardware, firmware, ram, os, networking config, physical stacking position)?
All N2 on the bench has the same hardware set up, 4GB memory + 8GB eMMC and set network domain. They are running with Debian 9 for the host platforms, 2 out of them run Debian 9 container and the rest run Ubuntu 18.04 container.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 4106
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 207 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:43 pm

After reading the thread about the spontaneous reboots, I've quickly accessed ODROID-N2 devices on the bench how they are and found that 1 out of 4 are running 82 days and the other 3 are running 234~235 days which is 7+ months. Their kernel is still running with 4.9.156, I am thinking of they need to be updated with a recent version to see if kernel causes the rebooting issue at the same time, need to set up 3-4 ODROID-N2 for a stress test with the recent kernel.
$ ssh -p 2226 odroid@maze.odroid.com uptime
04:23:04 up 235 days, 19:54, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.02
$ ssh -p 2227 odroid@maze.odroid.com uptime
04:23:08 up 234 days, 20:20, 0 users, load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.03
$ ssh -p 2228 odroid@maze.odroid.com uptime
04:23:12 up 235 days, 19:48, 0 users, load average: 0.02, 0.10, 0.06
$ ssh -p 2229 odroid@maze.odroid.com uptime
04:23:17 up 82 days, 12:31, 0 users, load average: 0.26, 0.11, 0.09
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
odroid (Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm)

talltxn88030
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by talltxn88030 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:41 am

I'm certain I'm using the correct method described above to ssh in, but am having some difficulty with timeouts, I can't connect. I tried the links to watch but I can't get that to work either. Any help would be appreciated:) thank you. b.

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 4106
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 207 times
Contact:

Re: "ODROID Bench"

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:15 am

talltxn88030 wrote:I'm certain I'm using the correct method described above to ssh in, but am having some difficulty with timeouts, I can't connect. I tried the links to watch but I can't get that to work either. Any help would be appreciated:) thank you. b.
Currently, ODROID Bench is being maintained for OS upgrade and to arrange the space. They will come in a couple of days.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 3):
talltxn88030 (Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 am) • rooted (Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 am) • mad_ady (Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:12 pm)

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest