New Odroid C2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid, meveric

New Odroid C2

Unread postby TeHashX » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi, I've seen the latest release http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid-c2 and I wonder what are the differences from C1 beside cpu and ram?
TeHashX

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Re: New Odroid C2

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:00 pm

How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Unread postby memeka » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:35 pm

TeHashX wrote:Hi, I've seen the latest release http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid-c2 and I wonder what are the differences from C1 beside cpu and ram?

much faster CPU, 64 bit instead of 32 bit
double the RAM
one extra GPU core (3 instead of 2)
much better memory bandwidth
double the ethernet upload speed (1gb instead of 500mb)
i2s header (it was not on c1, i think it is on c1+)
much better emmc and sd card speeds
supports 4K display output
decodes 4K movie resolutions
decodes 10-bit movies

it lost SPI and RTC
only few bucks more expensive.
did i say it's 64bits?
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby chlorisdroid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Yes, it's really one of the finest machines I had in my hands ever.
Quae volumus, credimus libenter.
chlorisdroid

languages_spoken: english,german,netherlands
ODROIDs: c1,c1+, c2, hifi-shield

Unread postby TeHashX » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 am

chlorisdroid wrote:Yes, it's really one of the finest machines I had in my hands ever.

New heat sink? Will fit in to the case? Looks a little bit high.
TeHashX

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby chlorisdroid » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:48 am

If you have a 3D-printer and build a new one: Yes. (Oh no, I don't have one, ugggh).
The heat sink is from XU4. Hardkernel shipped it together with the C2, so I wanted to use it and disassembled the original (black) heatsink modified the blue one (cut it off at one side a little bit)
Quae volumus, credimus libenter.
chlorisdroid

languages_spoken: english,german,netherlands
ODROIDs: c1,c1+, c2, hifi-shield

Unread postby Digimaster » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Hey! What happened to RTC clock?
Do you think ALL DEVICES are internet connected?
You cut a wide bunch of offline devices (industrial applications, most of them are offline due to a security or just of customer money save reason!)
In my humble opinion RTC clock is a must have option.
Digimaster

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2, X2, U3, C1, C2, XU4 × 300+

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:23 pm

You should read the C2 forum it's explained why RTC is missing. Go blame AmLogic.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Digimaster » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:16 pm

meveric wrote:You should read the C2 forum it's explained why RTC is missing. Go blame AmLogic.

Yes, I did already.
Anyway this board is useless particularly for me unless there is an affordable RTC add-on.
Digimaster

Unread postby synportack24 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:25 am

Digimaster wrote:
meveric wrote:You should read the C2 forum it's explained why RTC is missing. Go blame AmLogic.

Yes, I did already.
Anyway this board is useless particularly for me unless there is an affordable RTC add-on.

I would say there are lot of people that will use this board as a HTPC or slow NAS which don't need an RTC. Also, if RTC is a concern the 805's RTC was rather lacking. There are several good RTCs you can find that interface over I2C or UART (can't use SPI unless bitbanged).

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12708
http://magazine.odroid.com/
submit an article get cool stuff!
synportack24

languages_spoken: English, German, Korean
ODROIDs: C0, C1, C1+, C2, XU4

Unread postby robroy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:42 am

What happened to RTC clock?
Do you think ALL DEVICES are internet connected?
You cut a wide bunch of offline devices (industrial applications, most of them are offline due to a security or just of customer money save reason!)
In my humble opinion RTC clock is a must have option.

The ODROID-C0 is Hardkernel's lightweight industrial application board with built-in RTC. The C2 is more suited to desktop replacement and HTPC with its larger memory and 4k video.
Last edited by robroy on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby rooted » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:57 am

Still the C2 would be good for robotics since it's so powerful, robotics being an expensive application adding an external RTC device wouldn't an issue for most.

I mean were getting 75% of the XU4s CPU capability at 50% of the XU4 price while using 50% less power. This is quite a development in my opinion, certainly worth any small tradeoff such as losing RTC.

I'm impressed by the device, it's quite fast and with double the available memory (over C1+) multitasking is much better.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Digimaster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:20 am

robroy wrote:The ODROID-C0 is Hardkernel's lightweight industrial application board with built-in RTC. The C2 is more suited to desktop replacement and HTPC with its larger memory and 4k video.

Ok, Hardkernel has a good new product, I agree. But please, let me decide myself what is suitable for what.
I mean, C2 would be good for my task if it has RTC build-in. I need high performance (image processing) with offline date/time.
With this situation I will continue to pay more for XU4. I don't mean one or two items. I mean all my production of hundreds per year.
Digimaster

Unread postby crashoverride » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 am

Digimaster wrote:But please, let me decide myself what is suitable for what.

One of the things I like most about HardKernel is they offer a variety of products. I have the freedom to pick the product with the features I require instead of being limited by any single SoC's feature set.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby Digimaster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 am

Yes, completely agree.
I only surprised they didn't put a small extra chip to patch the absent feature of the SoC.
rtc add-on cost is USD15. I don't think the same on board will cost as much as add-on.
Digimaster

Unread postby robroy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Digimaster wrote:Yes, completely agree.
I only surprised they didn't put a small extra chip to patch the absent feature of the SoC.
rtc add-on cost is USD15. I don't think the same on board will cost as much as add-on.

That would bring them farther from competing with the Raspi 2 price, with the risk of many users complaining about the opposite situation, i.e., why did you force us to buy an RTC that we're not using?

What's wrong with adding your own RTC addon if you need it? You're paying more money either way.

The beauty of ODROID boards is providing a minimal foundation that you can build on to suit your own needs. In fact, ARM technology itself was created as an alternative to bloated architecture, which has been proven to be a successful and necessary approach to efficient, small footprint computing.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby Digimaster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:22 pm

robroy wrote: why did you force us to buy an RTC that we're not using?

Because they already forced us to buy 4 USB (e.g. I need only 3), IR port and a lot of other things I don't need, but others probably do.
It's just a decision to do that way. This is why I'm a bit disappointed.
Digimaster

Unread postby Jojo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Digimaster wrote:
robroy wrote: why did you force us to buy an RTC that we're not using?

Because they already forced us to buy 4 USB (e.g. I need only 3), IR port and a lot of other things I don't need, but others probably do.
It's just a decision to do that way. This is why I'm a bit disappointed.

Thed do force nobody. First you complain, that they do not offer a feature particularly YOU need, then you complain that they offer things, that particularly YOU do NOT need :lol: :lol: . Go and buy a RPi Model A. Less USB (hurray!!), no IR (more hurray!) and cheaper (most hurray!).

C'mon, don't you think, that HK tries to fulfill the need of the MAJORITY of people? For me personally missing SPI is really not good, but this is MY problem. Other people will just jump into the air and smile, because the really waited for something like the C2.

It is up to us to decide, that we buy. We are forced by noone. Let's look forward to what this new thing will bring us.
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Unread postby Digimaster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:01 pm

To Jojo > Looks like you don't understand my English. Too bad.
I DON'T COMPLAINE there are something I don't need. Because the others may DO. This is normal. I already payed a lot of money for extra things
I don't need. But I'm still NOT disappointed of it. I'm disappointed of something is absent. And the main idea is there is not a point argumenting
"not everybody need what you are asking". IMHO.

P.S. It's like in a "Spy kids" movie: There were spy-watches that can do everything but too tough to tell time...
Digimaster

Unread postby prcarp » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:54 am

Regarding the missing RTC on the C2...

I have the Odroid C1 and it works pretty good for my industrial sensor monitoring application which does not have access to a true clock source. The RTC drift is acceptable as it does get to a local NTP server on occasion to correct for drift. I also used BeagleBone Blacks for the same application and use the chronodot with the DS3231 RTC chip. The chronodot is much better as far as accuracy goes and I plan on migrating it to the C2 when it arrives.

On Adafruit's site, they have an example of how to get the I2C interface working for the DS1307 which has the same interface (more or less) as the DS3231. They also make a DS3231 breakout board with battery holder but out of stock at the moment. 8 year battery backup and time drift <1 sec/year with outdoor use with what I am using it for.

Yeah, the missing RTC is a nuisance for me with the C2 but not a show-stopper. I will end up going to a better solution in the long run. I haven't done any true investigating, but I wonder if this will work:
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-DS3231 ... B00HF4NUSS
prcarp

Return to News