SETI @ home in hibernation...

o_lampe
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: MC1 solo

SETI @ home in hibernation...

Unread post by o_lampe » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:42 pm

FYI
From March.31st.2020 on they decided to stop sending new workunits to volunteers. :(
More details on their BOINC site: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

I've used SETI since 2001 to benchmark and stresstest my hardware. It's pretty sad, although I didn't believe they'd find anything 'out there'.

<edit> I had a wrong date for the hibernation. It's 31.3.2020!
Last edited by o_lampe on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: SETI @ home in hibernation...

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:01 pm

Oh, I didn't know they were stopping it. I first ran it as a screensaver back in 1999. I've been searching for E.T on my work computer after hours for almost 15 years. Now I'll have to look for something boring like a cure for cancer...

hominoid
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1, N2

Unread post by hominoid » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:30 am

I didn't see anything at their site or on the internet that indicated they were shutting down. The link points to an old maintenance shutdown message. It is also Tuesday when most projects are down and stop issuing jobs to perform maintenance. Depending on the project, I've seen them shutdown early and go as long as a week or more before jobs are issued again. Anyone have a link or other information about a Seti shutdown?

o_lampe
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: MC1 solo

Unread post by o_lampe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pm

I had a wrong date for the hibernation. It's 31.3.2020!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:47 pm

completely different :))

0xDNYZEPTGMKBb
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by 0xDNYZEPTGMKBb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:18 pm

So sad :(

0xDNYZEPTGMKBb
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by 0xDNYZEPTGMKBb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm

hominoid wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:30 am
I didn't see anything at their site or on the internet that indicated they were shutting down. The link points to an old maintenance shutdown message. It is also Tuesday when most projects are down and stop issuing jobs to perform maintenance. Depending on the project, I've seen them shutdown early and go as long as a week or more before jobs are issued again. Anyone have a link or other information about a Seti shutdown?
SETI@home: SETI@home hibernation
On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next.
2020/3/2 21:16:23 · 更多...

boinc Notice
These users thanked the author 0xDNYZEPTGMKBb for the post:
hominoid (Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:57 am)

Return to “News”