Vivaldi Browser for ARM

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Vivaldi Browser for ARM

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 am

Just read a news today on G+
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/12/viva ... spberry-pi

Vivaldi Browser is closed source, but the package for RPi works fine on ODROIDs as well.

As the browser is build on top of Chromium, it's similar to running chromium and also allows you to run the Browser Hardware accelerated on ODROIDs as well:

Code: Select all
wget https://downloads.vivaldi.com/stable/vivaldi-stable_1.13.1008.34-1_armhf.deb
sudo gdebi vivaldi-stable_1.13.1008.34-1_armhf.deb
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so /opt/vivaldi/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so /opt/vivaldi/libEGL.so
vivaldi-stable --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096 --disable-sandbox

Both YouTube and WebGL work fine, I could watch YouTube videos fluently in 720p and some videos were even totally fine in 1080p (watched a game review of "GameStar" in 1080p in full speed).
But you should use full-screen mode for this.

Image Image

For some it might be a nice alternative to chromiums default design.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Re: Vivaldi Browser for ARM

Unread postby memeka » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:00 am

have you seen chromium 64 (alpha) on odroid? :D can play 1080p video fullscreen....

memeka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 am

As you post the videos everywhere, yep I've seen them. ;)

Although I'm not sure what it has to do with Vivaldi Browser.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby memeka » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 am

meveric wrote:As you post the videos everywhere, yep I've seen them. ;)

Although I'm not sure what it has to do with Vivaldi Browser.

it's based on chromium :)

The reason I'm posting everywhere is this:
Gnome on wayland has the best desktop performance and now the best browser performance I've seen on the XU4. But it is only me who is trying to get this running, nobody seems interested in it. And because the drivers are at best beta quality, there are crashes here and there, and features missing. And because I'm the only one even trying this, ARM told me: "there is no customer demand, so we won't update our drivers". So I'm hoping if my wayland proof of concepts are everywhere, more people will be willing to try, more people will comment, ARM will update the drivers.

Oh, and FYI - ARM deprecated and stopped developing X11 drivers in their DDK. I think the current r17p0 is the last X11 driver there will be for the XU4.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 am

I think the main reason why you don't get anywhere with your wayland is that there's no easy way to access it.

You have tons of software that you put on your image that is no where else besides your image.. I haven't read about any update strategy besides you uploading a new image.
How are users to try something that's hardly available?

Still my thing is, this is a thread about a new alternative browser called "Vivaldi" it has nothing to do with Chromium, nothing with Wayland and things like that.

If you would have wrote "It's working fine on Wayland as well." that would have been different, instead you come with something that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Your currently available image seems to be from Mar. 2017 that's 9 months old? How to update to Kernel 4.14? How to install new Chromium?
I don't think you make it easy for people to get into the topic.
You show tons of features what you got to work, but it would be better to make it possible for others to achieve the same instead of saying "Works for ME".
meveric

Unread postby elatllat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:50 pm

memeka wrote:...nobody seems interested in it...

I am grateful for your work, but I have to wait until stock arrives before I have a spare to enjoy wayland/chromium.
And I totally think chromium is a better alternative to meveric's closed source suggestion.
make a new post about what we should say to whom at arm and more voices can maybe sway them.
elatllat

ODROIDs: XU4

Return to News