sensor direct interface

Gisela0110
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

sensor direct interface

Post by Gisela0110 »

Hi any tried to interface 9DOF sensor stick to odroid-x directly (no arduino) before? Or knows of ways to interface A to D sensor with odroid-x? I heard that I should get a I2C module but I'm not sure about how I can operate it. Any other suggestion is welcome :D

Matt
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Re: sensor direct interface

Post by Matt »

Most 9/6DOF modules use 3.3V IO, which is too much for the ODROID boards. You could certainly use one with a level shifter, which is just a tiny little IC (or even a pretty small breakout board) that wouldn't add a significant amount of weight to your project. The X/X2 have A/D converters built in... two I believe... but they can only use a range of 0 to 1.8V, so I'm not sure how useful they would be for reading analog sensors.

There are a lot of "[ultra?] low power" sensor hitting the market. I believe I saw an Analog Devices accelerometer dev board featured on Digikey or Mouser's website that could communicate with devices using as low as 0.8V (I think?.. it was below 1V) IO. You could gather a few of those ICs up and use an I2C or SPI multiplexer. Using stuff like this would help you avoid the level shifter, though you would probably have to build the board for it from scratch, since 1.8V wouldn't work for an Arduino.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)

Gisela0110

Post by Gisela0110 »

Hi thanks for the reply .I had look into the i2c pins on odroid-x SDA(pin3),SCL(pin5) - http://dev.odroid.com/projects/odroid-x ... id-x#s-2.5 .
:arrow: Correct me if I'm wrong,does it means that I will need to connect the imu (SDA/SCL pins)> 3.3v to 1.8v logic level shifter >odriod on these pins?
:arrow: Also, I simply couldn't find a 3.3v to 1.8v logic level shifter , most I found was 5v to 3.3v level shifter perhaps I'm looking for it wrongly?
:arrow: And in the process of looking for the level shifter I had also found this - http://www.soliddepot.com/index.php?mai ... ducts_id=2 and wonder if it will work as well .

Any other suggestion is greatly appreciated. :D

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Googling with "1.8 volt to 3.3 volt level shifter i2c" and there tons of results.

PCA9306 seems to be a good solution.

Gisela0110

Post by Gisela0110 »

Hi thanks for the reply I think I will purchase the PCA9306 - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10403
Btw does anyone knows if I can copy the program from the arduino to the odroid-x and have the imu interface directly ?or do I need to change the communication program?
Many thanks :D

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Linux programming is slightly different from Arduino.
You need to understand device driver of Linux architecture first to access the hardware with C/C++.

sert00
languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Post by sert00 »

odroid wrote:Linux programming is slightly different from Arduino.
You need to understand device driver of Linux architecture first to access the hardware with C/C++.
exactly what he sad....with odroid,like also on raspberry pi,you have to mess with an os(linux)and things like drivers,protocols together with libraries(the only things to have on arduino)to have all working.
It's a bit harder and requires a medium knowledge of how works and how to manage unix system,and remember that arduino isn't C\C++ only,but a easier language with mixed C,processing and wiring! ;)
Personally i have the hardkernel IO board but for now i can't use it due to my lack of knowledge of linux (and i don't know C\C++,i'm studiyng the arduino anguage in my free time from january but for what i see it's a bit different than what i should use here,pure C\C++ i think!)
If you know python well,you could use the IO board with it like already wrote in many 3ad by user "mlinuxguy"!
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....

Gisela0110

Post by Gisela0110 »

Hi I'm fairly new to the i2c does anyone know of any step by step instruction to get the readings from this sensor - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10724
to the odriod-x (ubuntu 12.04) ? or any tutorial which I can learn from? Greatly appreciated :D

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

Matt
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Post by Matt »

There is an I2C-safe bi-directional logic level shifter available from adafruit.com:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/757

Most logic level shifters will shift a "low range" to a "high range", so you will have a hard time finding a level shifter based on a single input voltage and a single output voltage. This is true of the level shifter above.

As for how you might learn how to write a program to interface with your 9DOF sensor stick on the ODROID-X, I would suggest that you dig through the information available to Raspberry Pi users. While the hardware is somewhat different, and you might possibly have to reconfigure the kernel to take advantage of I2C dev/sysfs entries, most of the information used for the same purpose on the RPi can be directly translated for use on the X.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)

tavdov

Post by tavdov »

@Matt have you tried I2C with this level shifting?. I'm using this but I can't make connection between Ondroid and a PIC.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid »

@tavdov,
Do not post the same questions on several places. :(

Return to “Others”