[M1S] Power supply via 14 pin GPIO does not turn on the device

PtrPl
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: M1S
Been thanked: 0

[M1S] Power supply via 14 pin GPIO does not turn on the device

Post by PtrPl »

I am trying to power Odroid M1S via 14 pin GPIO (PINs 1 and 7 - 5V). Unfortunately, the device does not start. The red LED is constantly on, and the blue and orange LAN LEDs blink once every 10 seconds. I connected the monitor via HDMI, but nothing is displayed. My power supply supplies 5V / 3A. I tried adjusting the voltage from 4.9V to 5.3V, but it doesn't change anything. When I connect power supply via USB-C, everything works fine.
Is there any trick to enable the M1S to be powered through the GPIO?

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: [M1S] Power supply via 14 pin GPIO does not turn on the device

Post by tobetter »

I doubt your connection is wrong. Can you please share the photo how you wired the pins since LED turns on every 10 seconds. I guess you tied the power pin to +5V, that should be shorted to GND when you trigger power event ON and OFF.

PtrPl

Post by PtrPl »

According to the pinout information on the website https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/hard ... connectors, I soldered two wires from my power supply:
+5V to PIN1 Power input (USB Type-C)
GND to PIN7 (GROUND).
Attachments
IMG_20240516.jpg
IMG_20240516.jpg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 167 times

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Post by tobetter »

PtrPl wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:12 am
According to the pinout information on the website https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/hard ... connectors, I soldered two wires from my power supply:
+5V to PIN1 Power input (USB Type-C)
GND to PIN7 (GROUND).
Ok, you are not talking about power button. You want to supply power directly through the pins.
Your wire connection is correct, but I doubt about the power supply meets the requirement.
What's the specification of your power supply? Did you measure the voltage at the pins?
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
PtrPl (Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 am)

PtrPl

Post by PtrPl »

Thank you very much for your answer. I understand that the connection is correct and with the appropriate power supply it should work. So I won't come back to this problem again.

For information purposes, to share my experience with others, I will only add a handful of details:
1. I connected power to the pins via DC UPS. The UPS model is TZT Type-C 15W 3A Fast Charge UPS Power Supply 5V - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006482540931.html. The UPS was powered by the original Odroid power supply. The voltage at the UPS output is exactly 5.0V, but after connecting the M1S, the voltage on the pins dropped to 4.57V.
2. I made the second attempt using my own UPS design based on TP4056 module and DC boost converter MT3608. Unfortunately, the output current is max 2A, so it is probably not enough. However, here I could precisely regulate the output voltage. I even set it to 5.3V - after connecting M1S, the voltage on the pins dropped to 5.02V. Despite everything, the device did not turn on. I did not try to set higher voltage.

Unfortunately, I do not have a dedicated UPS from Hardkernel - it is currently not available in my country, and ordering from Korea involves high transport and customs clearance costs. So I'm trying to assemble my own cheap solution. I have been using TZT UPSs for some time and they provide power to LAN devices (switches, routers, raspberry pi) without any problems. I encountered a problem for the first time only now, when trying to power Odroid M1S.

Once again, many thanks for your quick reply.

PtrPl

Post by PtrPl »

Short summary:
- None of the UPS that I connected using GPIO could handle it and Odroid M1S did not want to start.
- Each tested solution easily powers Odroid M1S when connected to the USB-C input.
I stayed with the TZT UPS - it's ready, just solder the USB-C cable and connect. It works great, my Home Assistant runs for many hours on two batteries. I don't even know how long, because after 6 hours I connected the power.
IMG_20240607_154758926.jpg
IMG_20240607_154758926.jpg (126.48 KiB) Viewed 93 times

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polski
ODROIDs: XU4, M1, H3+, SP3, N2L, M1S, N2

Post by mctom »

My M1S works just fine powered through the 14-pin connector. I supply it through a Buck converter that I designed.
I suspect that your UPS sensed no load and decided not to turn on its internal Boost converter. M1S possibly attempts no current draw at 4.6V due to UVLO.

If you regulated boost converter voltage without a load you might have got overestimated measurement results.
Alternatively, your wires introduce 0.3V of drop at low current, in which case no wonder why M1S didn't work.

Your connection to a pin header is exactly parallel to USB-C connector, there's no reason for it to work any different. For this reason I would cast a blame on your wires.

I'm sorry I missed your post earlier, I would have helped you figure out something.
These users thanked the author mctom for the post:
PtrPl (Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:42 am)
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!
OpenUPS
PiStackMon

Return to “Issues”