[SOLVED] M1S bricked?

gozothegreat
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: M1S

[SOLVED] M1S bricked?

Post by gozothegreat »

Tried to install HomeAssistant on eMMC storage, using the image for M1, and I know, bad idea... ( https://github.com/home-assistant/opera ... 1.1.img.xz ).

now, the m1s is stuck in a bootloop. Cannot undo it by re-installing with USB from PC (https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/gett ... sb_from_pc), nor with microsd method ( https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/gett ... _installer )

Is there any way to force boot from microsd instead of eMMC ? or any other method to erase eMMC storage or factory reset?
Last edited by gozothegreat on Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: M1S bricked?

Post by tobetter »

gozothegreat wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:37 pm
Tried to install HomeAssistant on eMMC storage, using the image for M1, and I know, bad idea... ( https://github.com/home-assistant/opera ... 1.1.img.xz ).

now, the m1s is stuck in a bootloop. Cannot undo it by re-installing with USB from PC (https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/gett ... sb_from_pc), nor with microsd method ( https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1s/gett ... _installer )

Is there any way to force boot from microsd instead of eMMC ? or any other method to erase eMMC storage or factory reset?
Absolutely it's bad idea. :evil:

In order to recover your ODROID-M1S to download and flash OS image back, you have to manage tricky method.

1. Download this image and flash to SD card in order to install with USB from PC.
https://dn.odroid.com/RK3566/ODROID-M1S ... MC2UMS.img

2. Connect micro USB cable to ODROID-M1S and PC in order to switch your ODROID-M1S as USB storage.
3. Prepare a pinset and short the pins in the photo when you supply power to ODROID-M1S.
4. If you have blue LED on ODROID-M1S, you can release the pinset and check if your ODROID-M1S appear to your PC.
5. Then you can flash OS image as instructed in the Wiki.
Attachments
SwitchToMaskMode.png
SwitchToMaskMode.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 957 times
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
mctom (Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:35 pm)

gozothegreat
ODROIDs: M1S

Post by gozothegreat »

Thanks for the solution : it worked. Back in business!

Hopefully, team Home Assistant will come up quickly with a M1S build :-)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

gozothegreat wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:17 pm
Thanks for the solution : it worked. Back in business!

Hopefully, team Home Assistant will come up quickly with a M1S build :-)
Welcome back!!

Have fun with ODROID!
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
gozothegreat (Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:58 am)

OverSun
Has thanked: 0

Re: [SOLVED] M1S bricked?

Post by OverSun »

I ran into the same problem, but not "accidentally" at all. I built mainline u-boot and mainline kernel for M1S, kernel is working just fine, but I needed to safely check u-boot.
I looked at boot sequence picture in wiki, and I had very high suspicion that if I flash it to eMMC I can end up with the board in endless SPL failure.
My idea was that if I clean SPL on the internal MMC, it will try SD card on power on, and I can give it either SD card with mainline u-boot, or, if that fails, SD card with original u-boot, that I already built and knew it works.
I zeroed SPL on eMMC, and that resulted completely nothing on power on.

You probably should update the picture on the wiki to something like this, and also add this topic there, that there is a way to access internal eMMC storage as disk from other machine. Because it was also quite unclear, when the board is connected to another machine (blindly) it is recognised as something "Rockchip", but USB is in complete denial of communication and any tool that in internet says how you can access rockchip core through USB fails. Also took me quite some time to realise the board is in complete denial because it is not in debug mode.
boot_sequence-m1s.png
boot_sequence-m1s.png (274.15 KiB) Viewed 687 times
PS. Mainline u-boot also work just fine.
These users thanked the author OverSun for the post:
odroid (Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:07 am)

marco44
ODROIDs: HC2
Been thanked: 0

Post by marco44 »

Hi,
Is shortening the mask rom pins only working when the device is completely bricked ? I've been trying to have it boot back to usb mode using an sdcard loaded with ODROID-M1S_EMMC2UMS.img, but it continues booting on the eMMC system (homeassistant image, so i had to overwrite the eMMC completely). My board is completely ignoring that the mask rom pins are shortened (I tried with tweezers, screwdriver…)

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

marco44 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:09 pm
Hi,
Is shortening the mask rom pins only working when the device is completely bricked ? I've been trying to have it boot back to usb mode using an sdcard loaded with ODROID-M1S_EMMC2UMS.img, but it continues booting on the eMMC system (homeassistant image, so i had to overwrite the eMMC completely). My board is completely ignoring that the mask rom pins are shortened (I tried with tweezers, screwdriver…)
If you are able to flash eMMC, erase first 1MB of eMMC so CPU won't fetch bootloader and remove SD card from its slot. Then CPU will get into mask rom mode and can run Rockchip USB downloader from PC.

marco44

Post by marco44 »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:17 pm

If you are able to flash eMMC, erase first 1MB of eMMC so CPU won't fetch bootloader and remove SD card from its slot. Then CPU will get into mask rom mode and can run Rockchip USB downloader from PC.
I'm not able to flash it, I think. From the operating system I may dd on it, but anyway I'm looking for something more "reliable" on the long term, in case I can't get a prompt from the operating system. Is there a way to make it boot on the SD card when the operating system on the emmc is still bootable ?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

marco44 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:20 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:17 pm

I'm not able to flash it, I think. From the operating system I may dd on it, but anyway I'm looking for something more "reliable" on the long term, in case I can't get a prompt from the operating system. Is there a way to make it boot on the SD card when the operating system on the emmc is still bootable ?
OS image from Hardkernel boots from SD card when it's inserted, but I don't know where you sourced the HAOS image, looks like the OS on your eMMC does not support it. Only solution is to use short the recovery pins.

marco44

Post by marco44 »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:24 pm
OS image from Hardkernel boots from SD card when it's inserted, but I don't know where you sourced the HAOS image, looks like the OS on your eMMC does not support it. Only solution is to use short the recovery pins.
Yeah that's what I did. And it doesn't work for me, boot still proceeds to the eMMC OS, it ignores the SD card

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

marco44 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:43 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:24 pm
Yeah that's what I did. And it doesn't work for me, boot still proceeds to the eMMC OS, it ignores the SD card
I don't know how you managed to short the pad, if must failed boot from eMMC when it's shorted.
Touch the pins and supply power to ODROID-M1 and keep pressing the pins for a couple of seconds, then release it.

marco44

Post by marco44 »

That's what I've done, lots of attempts :/ I'll try more, maybe the contact is not that good, and I don't really have anything practical to do this, tweezers or screwdriver are the only ones that seemed practical

jesusrp

Post by jesusrp »

tobetter wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:56 pm
gozothegreat wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:37 pm

Absolutely it's bad idea. :evil:

In order to recover your ODROID-M1S to download and flash OS image back, you have to manage tricky method.

1. Download this image and flash to SD card in order to install with USB from PC.
https://dn.odroid.com/RK3566/ODROID-M1S ... MC2UMS.img

2. Connect micro USB cable to ODROID-M1S and PC in order to switch your ODROID-M1S as USB storage.
3. Prepare a pinset and short the pins in the photo when you supply power to ODROID-M1S.
4. If you have blue LED on ODROID-M1S, you can release the pinset and check if your ODROID-M1S appear to your PC.
5. Then you can flash OS image as instructed in the Wiki.
One question, maybe a stupid one, sorry!! the step 2, is suposed to be done with the microsd flashed in the step 1 connected to the motherboard, isnt it?, I mean before step 2, the flashed microsd is inserted in the M1S board. correct?

and regarding step 3, pinset has to be applied before connecting the power supply? at the same time= or it can be after power supply connection to the motherboard?

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

jesusrp wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:26 am
One question, maybe a stupid one, sorry!! the step 2, is suposed to be done with the microsd flashed in the step 1 connected to the motherboard, isnt it?, I mean before step 2, the flashed microsd is inserted in the M1S board. correct?
Correct.
and regarding step 3, pinset has to be applied before connecting the power supply? at the same time= or it can be after power supply connection to the motherboard?
Before connecting the power supply.

GrytechIT

Post by GrytechIT »

OverSun wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:44 am
I ran into the same problem, but not "accidentally" at all. I built mainline u-boot and mainline kernel for M1S, kernel is working just fine, but I needed to safely check u-boot.
I looked at boot sequence picture in wiki, and I had very high suspicion that if I flash it to eMMC I can end up with the board in endless SPL failure.
My idea was that if I clean SPL on the internal MMC, it will try SD card on power on, and I can give it either SD card with mainline u-boot, or, if that fails, SD card with original u-boot, that I already built and knew it works.

You probably should update the picture on the wiki to something like this, and also add this topic there, that there is a way to access internal eMMC storage as disk from other machine. Because it was also quite unclear, when the board is connected to another machine (blindly) it is recognised as something "Rockchip", but USB is in complete denial of communication and any tool that in internet says how you can access rockchip core through USB fails. Also took me quite some time to realise the board is in complete denial because it is not in debug mode.
boot_sequence-m1s.png
Where you ever able to reflash the eMMC or boot from SD.
I have a rk3566 that has done exact same thing.
Erase eMMC and now stuck in Maskrom Mode with no USB communication at all.
Complete removal of eMMC and SD inserted still no communication other then Maskrom Mode.

Sorry to hijack posts.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

GrytechIT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:09 pm
OverSun wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:44 am

boot_sequence-m1s.png

Where you ever able to reflash the eMMC or boot from SD.
I have a rk3566 that has done exact same thing.
Erase eMMC and now stuck in Maskrom Mode with no USB communication at all.
Complete removal of eMMC and SD inserted still no communication other then Maskrom Mode.

Sorry to hijack posts.
How did you make removal of eMMC? And what image file is flashed to SD card?

GrytechIT

Post by GrytechIT »

SMT station completely removed the eMMC from development board.
I have two of the same boards and when I remove eMMC from good board it automatically boots to SD Card.
If I use the same SD card on stuck Maskrom Mode board it does nothing.
No UART traffic at all.
SD card has Armbian kernel on it that boots properly on good dev board.

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

GrytechIT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:50 pm
SMT station completely removed the eMMC from development board.
I have two of the same boards and when I remove eMMC from good board it automatically boots to SD Card.
If I use the same SD card on stuck Maskrom Mode board it does nothing.
No UART traffic at all.
SD card has Armbian kernel on it that boots properly on good dev board.
Is that ODROID-M1S?

GrytechIT

Post by GrytechIT »

No sorry it is not.

I saw the same end result in a post in this chain.

Return to “Issues”