Which image to install ubuntu 22.04

a.philips
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Which image to install ubuntu 22.04

Post by a.philips »

Hi,
i am a newbie in Linux OS and I'm trying to figure out which is the best image to use and what are the differences.
I have an M1 with an NVMe 970 EVO Plus drive.
The purpose is to have a reliable mini server to use it mainly as a NAS.

After reading many threads on the forum I've tried several solutions, some work, some don't.

1. petiboot -> udhcpc -> netboot_default -> install 20.04
The installation works, the kernel is 4.19.219-odroid-arm64.
Then do-release-upgrade to 22.04 and new kernel is the same.

2. petiboot -> udhcpc -> netboot_default -> install 22.04
After preparation the screen goes black and there is no way to continue.
There is a way to solve this?

3. connect M1 micro USB to my PC -> flash with Balena Etcher

3a. Ubuntu Server 20220531 from Wiki
The installation works but is 20.04 so i need to upgrade.

3b. Ubuntu Weston with ROS2 from Wiki
Installation works but after reboot black screen.

3c. Ubuntu ARM from Ubuntu website
The installation works but after the reboot the disk is not visible.

So at the moment the only installations that work are those of 20.04.

The questions:
- Will there be a stable version of 22.04?
- Can the system be considered stable after the upgrade or is it preferable to stay at 20.04?
- Are there differences between the version that I find in the Wiki and the one that is installed with petiboot over the network?
- Why can't I use the ARM version on the official Ubuntu site?
- The kernel that I find in 22.04 after the upgrade remains the same 4.19.219-odroid-arm64. Should it be kept the same, updated or can it lead to stability issues?

Sorry if the questions are trivial but I still have to study a lot about the Linux world.

Thank you

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: Many

Re: Which image to install ubuntu 22.04

Post by tobetter »

a.philips wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 am
The questions:
- Will there be a stable version of 22.04?
IMO, "Stable" is abstract word for everyone, you would judge it by yourself after trying a bit more installation,
- Can the system be considered stable after the upgrade or is it preferable to stay at 20.04?
I strongly do not try to upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04. Logically that should work, since both version is intended to use different kernel. Ubuntu 20.04 for ODROID-M1 works with 4.19 kernel with Rockchip BSP while Ubuntu 22.04 works with upstream kernel. Some package in both version have different tweaks, OS setup would be messed if you do not mind it.
- Are there differences between the version that I find in the Wiki and the one that is installed with petiboot over the network?
Basically both are identical, but some file in the image from Wiki is hard coded while building the image. Petitboot over network is a method to install clean OS, "clean" here means less changes from original Ubuntu except Linux kernel and ODROID specific package.
- Why can't I use the ARM version on the official Ubuntu site?
Official Ubuntu is still with Linux kernel 5.15 while the SoC with ODROID-M1 which is RK3568 is introduced from Linux kernel 5.18. Official Ubuntu cannot help ODROID-M1.
- The kernel that I find in 22.04 after the upgrade remains the same 4.19.219-odroid-arm64. Should it be kept the same, updated or can it lead to stability issues?
It's because you've upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04. In case if have not installed desktop packages, please try this.
Change focal in /etc/apt/sources.d/ppa_linuxfactory_or_kr.list to jammy and do run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgade. This will help you to install newer kernel.

In case still you are not happy to setup Ubuntu 22.04, download an image in the link and flash this to SD card so Netboot Installer can start from SD card. Let me know if this still does not work.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/installer/ODROID-M1/
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
a.philips (Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:13 pm)

a.philips

Post by a.philips »

Thanks, all very useful information!

In my case then the ideal would be to install the 22.04 version directly via the network (or from SD like you suggested).
Now I'll take your advice, buy an SD and try the install from there.

In the meantime I have other doubts:
1. The 22.04 installation boot problem seems to be related to screen resolution. I have tried different monitors but the screen remains black. Is there a way to configure the initial resolution?

2. Should Petiboot be updated over time? If yes, is there a specific procedure to do this? Maybe I have an old version and the problem has already been solved?

3. In this update: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1/os_im ... u/20220926 I find "Ubuntu Weston with ROS2" which I tried but it doesn't work. Is this a server version of 20.04?

Thanks again for all the clarifications

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

a.philips wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:36 pm
Thanks, all very useful information!

In my case then the ideal would be to install the 22.04 version directly via the network (or from SD like you suggested).
Now I'll take your advice, buy an SD and try the install from there.
In case if you have to buy SD card, you also try prebuilt OS image in the link.
http://ppa.linuxfactory.or.kr/images/raw/arm64/jammy/
In the meantime I have other doubts:
1. The 22.04 installation boot problem seems to be related to screen resolution. I have tried different monitors but the screen remains black. Is there a way to configure the initial resolution?
Not really. My doubt is whether your display is not compatible. We can judge when you run prebuilt OS image and after sshing to it.
It would be also good to share the vendor/model of your displays.
2. Should Petiboot be updated over time? If yes, is there a specific procedure to do this? Maybe I have an old version and the problem has already been solved?
Petitboot is not updated many times for ODROID-M1, but I believe your Petitboot is recent version. If you like to try update, run udhcpc and pb-update in a raw in the command line of Petitboot while network cable is connected.
3. In this update: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1/os_im ... u/20220926 I find "Ubuntu Weston with ROS2" which I tried but it doesn't work. Is this a server version of 20.04?
It's a version with small display manager a.k.a Weston and intended to play ROS (Robot Operating System). It can be obviously run like a server but if the display does not work for you, it's useless. Also you do not huddle many images, since same Ubuntu version are based on same kernel so it won't help to resolve the display issue if it's not from hardware.

a.philips

Post by a.philips »

Hi,
ok the problem seems to be the monitor itself, or more likely the fact that I use adapters for monitors.

With all screens the boot up to and including Petiboot works fine.
With Ubuntu 20.04 they all work.
With Ubuntu 22.04 when starting the operating system the problems occur as follows:

Samsung SyncMaster 710N 1280x1024 60Hz - HDMI-VGA adapter - Out of range
HP w2216v 1680x1050 60Hz - HDMI-VGA adapter - Out of range
Philips 220BLPY 1680x1050 60Hz - HDMI-DVI adapter - White screen
TV LG 49" 1920x1080 - HDMI cable direct - OK

So I completed the installation connected to the TV and then manage it via SSH.
I also tried to set resolution and refresh as explained in the link below but without success:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1/os_im ... 20318#tips

Thanks

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

a.philips wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:56 am
Hi,
ok the problem seems to be the monitor itself, or more likely the fact that I use adapters for monitors.

With all screens the boot up to and including Petiboot works fine.
With Ubuntu 20.04 they all work.
With Ubuntu 22.04 when starting the operating system the problems occur as follows:

Samsung SyncMaster 710N 1280x1024 60Hz - HDMI-VGA adapter - Out of range
HP w2216v 1680x1050 60Hz - HDMI-VGA adapter - Out of range
Philips 220BLPY 1680x1050 60Hz - HDMI-DVI adapter - White screen
TV LG 49" 1920x1080 - HDMI cable direct - OK

So I completed the installation connected to the TV and then manage it via SSH.
I also tried to set resolution and refresh as explained in the link below but without success:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1/os_im ... 20318#tips

Thanks
Thank you for the update and it's good for you as you have a display and run ssh. FYI, the Wiki is for the image from Hardkernel based on 4.9 kernel while your OS installation is not 4.9, so it won't work whatever you change.

Alternatively, you would check out this. But I doubt it will work since all displays are with HDMI to VGA/DVI adapter.
http://docs.linuxfactory.or.kr/guides/kmsdrm.html

Maybe adding this to kernel command line could help you, this will let HDMI port to run in DVI mode.

Code: Select all

video=HDMI-A-1:D
[/quote]

a.philips

Post by a.philips »

Thank you for the update and it's good for you as you have a display and run ssh. FYI, the Wiki is for the image from Hardkernel based on 4.9 kernel while your OS installation is not 4.9, so it won't work whatever you change.
OK! I got it!
Alternatively, you would check out this. But I doubt it will work since all displays are with HDMI to VGA/DVI adapter.
Wow! This works perfectly! Thank you!
Maybe adding this to kernel command line could help you, this will let HDMI port to run in DVI mode.

I didn't understand where this should be inserted, I tried in /etc/default/flash-kernel:

LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE="quiet splash video=HDMI-A-1:D"
But it did not work.
If you give me more info or a link to understand where it should be used, I'll do a few more tests out of curiosity.

Thanks

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

a.philips wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:58 pm
OK! I got it!
Wow! This works perfectly! Thank you!

I didn't understand where this should be inserted, I tried in /etc/default/flash-kernel:

LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE="quiet splash video=HDMI-A-1:D"
But it did not work.
If you give me more info or a link to understand where it should be used, I'll do a few more tests out of curiosity.

Thanks
You said it works "perfectly" so you have a display, do you still need to add video=HDMI-A-1:D?

igorpec
languages_spoken: bash,c++,python

Post by igorpec »

a.philips wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 am
1. petiboot -> udhcpc -> netboot_default -> install 20.04
2. petiboot -> udhcpc -> netboot_default -> install 22.04
3. connect M1 micro USB to my PC -> flash with Balena Etcher
3a. Ubuntu Server 20220531 from Wiki
3b. Ubuntu Weston with ROS2 from Wiki
3c. Ubuntu ARM from Ubuntu website
There are more ways:

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-m1/ (what is Armbian) (make SD card, boot from it, this install way always works)
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/24200-a ... ent-152523 (works like charm) (automated upgrade tests)
For now (until open source boot loader is not done) you need to boot from SD card (as described in manual) as proprietary petitboot is not used.
These users thanked the author igorpec for the post:
a.philips (Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:47 pm)

a.philips

Post by a.philips »

You said it works "perfectly" so you have a display, do you still need to add video=HDMI-A-1:D?
No, of course that's fine.
It was to give you feedback and in case it helps others.

As a further test I tried adding video=HDMI-A-1:1680x1050@60 to LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE in /etc/default/flash-kernel and in this case it works even if the resolution is not optimal (the resolution is the monitor's native one).
I add that after the changes it is necessary to run the command:

sudo update-bootscript
As also noted here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1/softw ... inux_users

So thanks, solved!

tobetter

Post by tobetter »

a.philips wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:44 pm

No, of course that's fine.
It was to give you feedback and in case it helps others.

As a further test I tried adding video=HDMI-A-1:1680x1050@60 to LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE in /etc/default/flash-kernel and in this case it works even if the resolution is not optimal (the resolution is the monitor's native one).
I add that after the changes it is necessary to run the command:

sudo update-bootscript
As also noted here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-m1/softw ... inux_users

So thanks, solved!
Ok, you already solve the display issue after adding the EDID with video=, then you do not need to add HDMI-A-1:D which is to force the video signal in DVI mode. Just in case if you want to try, for your case, video=HDMI-A-1:1680x1050@60D - not adding D to after @60 is the one for the same effect. But this is fine if your display works already. :)

a.philips

Post by a.philips »

I confirm that it was just for testing and to understand which ones work:
- removed EDID binary
- added changes in /etc/default/flash-kernel

Finally I put back the changes with EDID as the result is better.

Return to “Ubuntu”